• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2012
    Aaaahhhh... cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2012
    STAR WARS v SNATCH

I must admit I LMAO at this biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2012
    Well better luck with an oily man next time wink

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=627_1345789919
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Well better luck with an oily man next time wink

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=627_1345789919

Oh God....embarassing.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    On a sidenote: What an utter bitch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote

Indeed. There would have been more subtle ways to refuse.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote

Indeed. There would have been more subtle ways to refuse.

And someone filmed it for all the world to see. rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. What would a "Futurama"/"The Simpsons" Halloween crossover be like?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S43LWRGJ … re=related
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Prejudice can keep you away from some really great experiences... Like this one...

Great beer commercial.

E.
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2012
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    Prejudice can keep you away from some really great experiences... Like this one...

Great beer commercial.

E.

He, he.... smile
    I am extremely serious.
  3. So, I was searching Youtube for a certain video, and for some reason this completely unrelated video came up in the results (it's actually very annoying when they shove unrelated videos into the results).

Consider this your warning: it's alive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL1oyCChEC0
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2012
    justin boggan wrote
    So, I was searching Youtube for a certain video, and for some reason this completely unrelated video came up in the results (it's actually very annoying when they shove unrelated videos into the results).

Consider this your warning: it's alive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL1oyCChEC0

Yikes! Awkward.

Even funnier that 'Steve' (or 'stiv') in Norwegian means 'stiff'.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2012
    Many of you are perhaps aware of this awesome video already.

KARATE BABY!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oHWvFrp … ature=plcp
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Okay, so here this is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=931Kth4qhp8
  5. I can't call this a funny video, but I'm posting it here because it was done for a Brazilian Candid Camera episode (and the people are all laughing when it happens)

Anyway, I'm not gonna spoil it, but honestly, every single person would be scared (or at least troubled) if it ever happened to them. I Have to say, it's amazingly well done (and acted), but any person with a serious heart condition probably would have died if they ever experienced THIS
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2012
    I don't think I would have fallen for it... unless it was that woman from The grudge, then I would definitely have been traumatized for life.

Anyway, that video has the most artificial laugh track I've ever heard. Just the same strange sounding recording playing again and again and again.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2012
    Yeah, that video has gone viral recently.

I don't think I would have fallen for it either, but I would definitely have jumped for the 'stinger' function alone.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. plindboe wrote
    I don't think I would have fallen for it... unless it was that woman from The grudge, then I would definitely have been traumatized for life.

Anyway, that video has the most artificial laugh track I've ever heard. Just the same strange sounding recording playing again and again and again.

Peter smile

true, they better would have used a girl ala The Grudge, perhaps even so that the hair was covering the face (plus the fake baby was a bit stupid), but still I think I would have been starlted

and yes, that video is now going around the world
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012
    Below is a much more successful ghost prank. This elevator one got overrated popularity imo, it looks fake, very much unlike these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhKJA5DiwC4 (Top stuff)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_kMs0W1qRI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsDm6yYllFI
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Maybe it's just instinct kicking in, freezing your brain (in fact, I'm pretty sure it is), but I can't help wondering (from the safety of my comfortable chair) why no one being pranked realised that the SOLE reason a little girl is "scary"...IS BECAUSE MOVIES TOLD US SO!

The whole eery young girl is a gimmick of the last ten years or so.
    No one would have found these pranks even in the least bit disturbing back in, say, the eighties.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Maybe it's just instinct kicking in, freezing your brain (in fact, I'm pretty sure it is), but I can't help wondering (from the safety of my comfortable chair) why no one being pranked realised that the SOLE reason a little girl is "scary"...IS BECAUSE MOVIES TOLD US SO!

The whole eery young girl is a gimmick of the last ten years or so.
    No one would have found these pranks even in the least bit disturbing back in, say, the eighties.

Don't forget the long black hair in front of the face. I guess there are all kinds of psychological mechanisms at play for why we find that scary.

I know for a fact that THE GRUDGE is one of two major, traumatic horror movies in my life (the other being ALIEN when I saw it as a kid). I couldn't sleep for two weeks after that. These days, it's become somewhat of a gimmick, but I'm still uncomfortable when that black haired girl is running around.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Interesting.
    I'm not sure though. I don't think it's scary at all (aside from a possible certain uneasiness not being able to see someone's face...but then it's just a little girl!), and couldn't think of a single reason why it should be.
    I think it's exactly the other way around: I think it's become scary due to the context in and of the film.
    Not the other way around.

I still maintain this stunt would never have worked before The Grudge!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Maybe not. THE RING preceded THE GRUDGE, though, so that would have to take the credit for that particular aspect. I'm not sure, but I think this concept even goes back further in Japanese culture.

For me, it's many things -- obviously the juxtaposition of the innocence of a girl and the horror that resides within, something that goes WAY back (remember the two girls in Kubrick's SHINING, for example....or friggin' THE EXORCIST?).

But a face is so important. It's the way we mirror ourselves in others and find identification, and once that is taken away, the imagination spins out of control. Unlike a mask, however, hair is more volatile. It can spring to the side any time, and we don't know what horror will reveal itself. It's also a natural 'mask' implying some sort of extension of the body rather than a selfimposed, external object.

In THE GRUDGE there was also an extra element with the groaning sound. That just tipped the scale for me. That and the realistic environments and the intrusion of horror into everyday scenarios -- like creeping up under your duvet.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Guys, you're looking far too recently. The creepy girl child thing goes way back to Stanley Kubrick's the shining. Asians just perfected it with older age (now they're teenagers) and longer black straight hair with very white skin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    But again the "creepy girls" in The Shining were ONLY creepy becuse of the context which was forced upon us by the film! If you suddenly see two little girsl in a hotel corridor WITHOUT creepy music and sound effects, and without distorting lenses, what would be your first reaction? Mine would be either amusement or concern. Maybe puzzlement.
    Fear?
    For two cute little girls?
    Ummm...

That said, I never found anything about The Shining even remotely creepy (except for the end shot).
    (Now the book, that's another matter!)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    But again the "creepy girls" in The Shining were ONLY creepy becuse of the context which was forced upon us by the film! If you suddenly see two little girsl in a hotel corridor WITHOUT creepy music and sound effects, and without distorting lenses, what would be your first reaction? Mine would be either amusement or concern. Maybe puzzlement.
    Fear?
    Ummm...

That said, I never found anything about The Shining even remotely creepy (except for the end shot).

I like your points and agree with them.

Just wondering, have you seen The Shining remake, the TV version? ( for the record, I haven't )
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Fear?
    Ummm...

I like your points and agree with them.

Just wondering, have you seen The Shining remake, the TV version? ( for the record, I haven't )

I have.

It's OK as a TV mini-series, but far from the visionary quality of Kubrick's film, of course. It's more literal....less symbolical.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I seem to remember the TV version was "sanctioned" by Stephen King, who it has been well documented hated Kubrick's film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Really? I didn't know that!

I should have a look at the mini series, I guess. I was vaguely aware there was one, but never actively pursued finding it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    From Wiki...

Response by Stephen King

Stephen King has been quoted as saying that although Kubrick made a film with memorable imagery, it was not a good adaptation of his novel[36] and is the only adaptation of his novels that he could "remember hating".[37] Notably, before this King often said he did not care about the film adaptations of his novels.[38]

King thought that his novel's important themes, such as the disintegration of the family and the dangers of alcoholism, were ignored. King has admitted he was suffering from alcoholism at the time he wrote the novel, and as such there was an element of autobiography in the story. King especially viewed the casting of Nicholson as a mistake and as being too early a tip-off to the audience that the character Jack would eventually go mad (due to Nicholson's identification with the character of McMurphy in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest). King had suggested that a more “everyman”-like actor such as Jon Voight or Michael Moriarty play the role, so that Jack's subsequent descent into madness would be more unnerving.[38]

At other times, King suggested that he disliked the downplaying of the supernatural element of the film, which he felt took the "bite" out of the story and made Jack a less sympathetic character. According to King, he viewed Jack as being victimized by the genuinely external supernatural forces haunting the hotel, whereas Kubrick's take viewed the haunting and its resulting malignancy as coming from within Jack himself.[39]

King's oft-cited remark about Kubrick being a man who “thinks too much and feels too little” has frequently been quoted as disparaging Kubrick's overly clinical and detached approach to directing actors, but in context it is really a reference to Kubrick's ambivalent skepticism about the reality of the supernatural which emerged in pre-production conversations between King and Kubrick. The full context of King's well-known quote is

Parts of the film are chilling, charged with a relentlessly claustrophobic terror, but others fall flat. Not that religion has to be involved in horror, but a visceral skeptic such as Kubrick just couldn't grasp the sheer inhuman evil of The Overlook Hotel. So he looked, instead, for evil in the characters and made the film into a domestic tragedy with only vaguely supernatural overtones. That was the basic flaw: because he couldn't believe, he couldn't make the film believable to others. What's basically wrong with Kubrick's version of The Shining is that it's a film by a man who thinks too much and feels too little; and that's why, for all its virtuoso effects, it never gets you by the throat and hangs on the way real horror should.[40]

Mark Browning, a critic of King's work, observed that King's novels frequently contain a narrative closure that completes the story, which Kubrick's film lacks.[41] Browning has in fact argued that King has exactly the opposite problem of which he accused Kubrick. King, he believes, "feels too much and thinks too little."

King was disappointed by Kubrick's decision not to film at The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado, which inspired the story (a decision Kubrick made because the hotel did not have sufficient snow or electric power). However, King's animosity toward Kubrick's adaptation has dulled over time. During an interview segment on the Bravo channel, King stated that the first time he watched Kubrick's adaptation, he found it to be "dreadfully unsettling". King supervised a television adaptation of his original novel in 1997, filmed at The Stanley Hotel in Colorado.

However, in King's 1981 nonfiction book Danse Macabre, he listed Kubrick's film among those he considered to have "contributed something of value to the [horror] genre" and mentioned it as one of his "personal favorites".