• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2008
    cheesy wave
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hey Juha, welcome aboard! punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    JuPe wrote
    Hello everyone!

My name is Juha and I'm from Finland. I am only 16 years old and I think that I might be one of the youngest members here. I have been following discussions here and at scorereviews.com for quite a while and I thought it would be nice to join this community.

I have listened film music for six years and I have over 100 soundtracks in my collection. My favourite composers are: John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, James Newton Howard, Danny Elfman and many others.

Because English isn't my native language, I might have some writing troubles. Don't be too harsh on me for this.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!

Juha

Hellooooo!!!

Dude, your English is very good. I wish *I* could learn another language as well as you have here! Welcome to the board. smile
  1. JuPe wrote
    Hello everyone!

My name is Juha and I'm from Finland. I am only 16 years old and I think that I might be one of the youngest members here. I have been following discussions here and at scorereviews.com for quite a while and I thought it would be nice to join this community.

I have listened film music for six years and I have over 100 soundtracks in my collection. My favourite composers are: John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, James Newton Howard, Danny Elfman and many others.

Because English isn't my native language, I might have some writing troubles. Don't be too harsh on me for this.

Juha

Juha, glad to have you on board, hopefully we old farts can teach you a thing about good filmmusic wink , the composers you already know now are a very good start cheesy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2008
    Welcome Juha wave

I have to second what Steven said, your English is very good, I wish I could write in another language so clearly.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Welcome Juha wave

I have to second what Steven said, your English is very good, I wish I could write in another language so clearly.

Well, Timmer, I think your English is fine too! tongue
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Welcome Juha wave

what about my english? tongue shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2008
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Welcome Juha wave

what about my english? tongue shame

I'm in awe of the majority of non-English speakers who post at this board and others. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Welcome Juha wave

shame biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm a terrible linguist, I too am in awe of many of those who's native language isn't English yet speak it (type it) so fluently.

Most non-English posters on this forum write infinitely better English than most English people do! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Our next step, as non-English people, is to take over the world and introduce to you Dutch, German and Chinese.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Fine by me. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Fine by me. biggrin

Loads of gobbledegook? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! dizzy cheesy
  3. Steven wrote
    I'm a terrible linguist, I too am in awe of many of those who's native language isn't English yet speak it (type it) so fluently.

Most non-English posters on this forum write infinitely better English than most English people do! dizzy

not entirely true, but thanks for the kind words smile
    I guess we'll all try to do our best to make this as good as its gonna get wink
  4. you may know me as corpsekid

ive matured

haha

=]
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hey! welcome aboard!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    branderson925 wrote
    ive matured

haha

biggrin

Yeah, welcome back!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2008
    branderson925 wrote
    you may know me as corpsekid

ive matured

haha

=]

wave
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2008
    branderson925 wrote
    you may know me as corpsekid

ive matured

haha

=]

Yeah, I remember you! rolleyes tongue

Only kidding, good to see you round again Brandon biggrin beer
  5. JuPe wrote
    Hello everyone!

Juha

Welcome aboard. I think you might be one of the youngest, considering I am 17. I was the youngest I think when I joined the old forum (scorereviews.net) when I was 14. But good taste in composers. I am a fan of the five you listed, especially Elfman.

see ya around
    •  
      CommentAuthorpetersv
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2008 edited
    Hello,

Being a reader of both this site, and the old scorereview site, I feel I have you all at an advantage. Since I have read great discussions here, and have gotten excellent recommendations from most of you, I feel I owe you an introduction at least.

My name is Peter, and I'm from the cold, dark, north of Sweden. I'm currently at my fifth year studying computer science engineering at Umeå university, where I do my best to avoid working on my master thesis (a task which I was born to excel at, incidentally).

I was first introduced to scores at a young age in the early nineties. Films such as Star Wars, Forrest Gump, The Lion King, Braveheart, Willow etc, made me realize how powerful music could be (though to be fair, being raised in Sweden in the eighties probably instilled a poor frame of reference, musically).

I have to single out Jurassic Park as the most important film to me at the time. The effects of unleashing the "Journey to the Island" sequence on a unsuspecting 10 year old boy should not be underestimated, both score- and film wise.

Unfortunatly, 10 year old boys become 14 year old boys. As with most other fourteen year old boys, I became a total idiot. This made me move away from scores almost entirely, and listen to metal and the like exclusively. This sorry state of affairs lasted for half a decade so.

Fortunatly I realized the error of my ways, much thanks to the release of Lord of the Rings and Star Wars: episode 1. Having rediscovered my love of scores, I started digging deeper, in hope of finding more excellent film scores (I did). The rest is history.

The composers who get the most playtime are: Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, John Williams, Ennio Morricone and Hans Zimmer.

But sizeable contributions are made by the likes of: Basil Poledouris, Michael Kamen, Bruce Broughton, David Arnold, Alan Silvestri, John Debney, James Newton Howard, John Barry, Alexandre Desplat (and a million others). Drama and adventure are my prefered styles, with action scoring a distand third.

In my spare time, when I'm not writing horribly unwieldy posts on forums, I play some piano and do generally nerdy things with computers (in case the computer science engineer part wasn't enough of a hint). And listen to scores of course.

Some random facts:

* My favorite album is probably Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone.

* I don't get the Lost thing, neither score nor series. Though those two facts might be related. (I still watch most of the episodes for some reason.)

* My favorite moments of synergy between film and filmscore is from Once upon a Time in the West by Sergio Leone with score from Ennio Morricone. When Jill arrives at the train station and Jill's Theme plays as she enters the town. Such a mundane scene really, but it plays wonderfully on screen.

* The scene above is rivaled by The Ecstasy of Gold sequence from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, and would probably win half the days of the week.

* Favorite Williams currently: Schindler's List

I just wanted to say hello (and write a short novel).

wave

// Peter
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2008
    Yo-yo- MA plays Ennio Morricone is an awesome achievement mate, you're my man ! wink Welcome aboard; glad to have you with us and looking forward to your contributions! wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Hi Peter! wave
    Thanks for the amusing short novel.
    wink

Sounds kind of familiar! My first score was also Jurassic Park (I was 14 then). Then The Rock, Crimson Tide and Braveheart among others. My collection got stuck at about 11 scores during puberty (which included a heavy metal phase as well) and I finally had a come back because of The Lord of The Rings in 2001. That's when I discovered the internet too and fellow score lovers and many many more excellent film music and some wonderful people!

Welcome to the board! smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hi Peter and welcome wave

Anyone who rates Morricone's Ecstasy Of Gold so highly is tops in my book! A great taste in composers too, I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we'll look forward to your input here at this great board.

Tim smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's cool that JURASSIC PARK is everyone's gateway to film music. I was 16 years old when it came out in 1993, and although I had already been aware of film music for a couple of years and begun to explore it, the dino score was the real kick-off for me!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    It's cool that JURASSIC PARK is everyone's gateway to film music. I was 16 years old when it came out in 1993, and although I had already been aware of film music for a couple of years and begun to explore it, the dino score was the real kick-off for me!

I'm probably amongst very few ( at least on this board ) where Williams wasn't my gateway into film music ( John Barry's Bond scores were ) though JAWS is one of the earliest scores I bought and the first purely film score I saw being promoted in record store windows, such was the MASSIVE impact of the films release at that time.

I would say that JAWS, STAR WARS, SUPERMAN, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and JURASSIC PARK were film score gateways for many of todays fans.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Zimmer was my gateway wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

You have my sincere condolences wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    crazy

Timmer ol'mate, have you been hanging out with the wrong people too much lately?

(southall and Erik) biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

You have my sincere condolences wink

There´s a whole generation of film music fans (and I´m proudly included) whose getaway was Hans Zimmer. God save his craziness punk
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you