• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2008
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Zimmer was my gateway wink

You have my sincere condolences wink

There´s a whole generation of film music fans (and I´m proudly included) whose getaway was Hans Zimmer. God save his craziness punk

Crumbs! It's turning into a funeral?! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jerry Goldsmith was my gateway, hard to top that really! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

There´s a whole generation of film music fans (and I´m proudly included) whose getaway was Hans Zimmer. God save his craziness punk

Crumbs! It's turning into a funeral?! wink

biggrin
    First was Zimmer, and then it was like a chain reaction: Goldsmith, Horner, Williams, Silvestri, etc etc.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ Very, very true.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2008 edited
    I can feel the love already kiss cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith was my gateway, hard to top that really! biggrin

Didn't know that? I presumed you were a Williams gateway?

JG is cool as fook though cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    It´s fascinating how one composer leads to another, and to another.....until many years later the list is very long. But the firtst one is the first one wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    It´s fascinating how one composer leads to another, and to another.....until many years later the list is very long. But the firtst one is the first one wink

Indeed!

For me Barry begat Morricone begat Williams begat Goldsmith begat Bernstein etc etc
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Yep, I´m sure that in a "top 10 film music getaway" ranking, Goldsmith - Williams - Zimmer - Horner - Barry - Bernstein would be in all the lists.
  1. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    It's cool that JURASSIC PARK is everyone's gateway to film music. I was 16 years old when it came out in 1993, and although I had already been aware of film music for a couple of years and begun to explore it, the dino score was the real kick-off for me!

I'm probably amongst very few ( at least on this board ) where Williams wasn't my gateway into film music ( John Barry's Bond scores were ) though JAWS is one of the earliest scores I bought and the first purely film score I saw being promoted in record store windows, such was the MASSIVE impact of the films release at that time.

I would say that JAWS, STAR WARS, SUPERMAN, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and JURASSIC PARK were film score gateways for many of todays fans.

Tim, were you at all keen on TV themes prior to your coveted Bond scores?

The reason I ask is that, for me my first score purchase was Star Wars, and I considered this my "gateway" into film music. But there was all these TV themes as well as movies on TV that must have caught my attention that led to me being primed to appreciate Williams' score when I heard it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    It's cool that JURASSIC PARK is everyone's gateway to film music. I was 16 years old when it came out in 1993, and although I had already been aware of film music for a couple of years and begun to explore it, the dino score was the real kick-off for me!

I'm probably amongst very few ( at least on this board ) where Williams wasn't my gateway into film music ( John Barry's Bond scores were ) though JAWS is one of the earliest scores I bought and the first purely film score I saw being promoted in record store windows, such was the MASSIVE impact of the films release at that time.

I would say that JAWS, STAR WARS, SUPERMAN, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and JURASSIC PARK were film score gateways for many of todays fans.

Tim, were you at all keen on TV themes prior to your coveted Bond scores?

The reason I ask is that, for me my first score purchase was Star Wars, and I considered this my "gateway" into film music. But there was all these TV themes as well as movies on TV that must have caught my attention that led to me being primed to appreciate Williams' score when I heard it.

I'm absolutely from the same mold as you alan.

From a very young age I was aware of TV and film music, I just didn't know it was available to buy? All record stores that I knew were just full of the usual Pop and Classical albums, the very first film score related item I ever bought was John Barry's theme to The Persuaders which became a hit UK single, listening to the last few moments of the B-side The Girl With The Sun In Her Hair convinced me I was listening to the same guy who wrote James Bond music and, of course, I was right. My next purchase was Geoff Love's Bond Movie Themes and from there there was no stopping me. Next purchase was the original soundtrack for Goldfinger and the rest, as they say, is history! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    petersv wrote
    (though to be fair, being raised in Sweden in the eighties probably instilled a poor frame of reference, musically).

Man..I still wake up screaming at night some times...

Welcome, Peter! wave
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2008 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

You're absolutely right, Marselus. JURASSIC PARK (and to a certaint extent being a latecomer to STAR WARS) was MY gateway into film music, after first having loved prog rock and electronic music, but Zimmer was close behind. Furthermore, THE ROCK has become to young (20 year olds) what STAR WARS was to the 1977 generation. Both that score in particular and Zimmer himself needs to be applauded for that!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote

Aaahh...happy memories! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thor wrote
    THE ROCK has become to young (20 year olds) what STAR WARS was to the 1977 generation.

Totally agree with you Thor. I was exactly 19 years old when I first listened "The Rock". The nineties generation rules! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2008 edited
    Thor wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

You're absolutely right, Marselus. JURASSIC PARK (and to a certaint extent being a latecomer to STAR WARS) was MY gateway into film music, after first having loved prog rock and electronic music, but Zimmer was close behind. Furthermore, THE ROCK has become to young (20 year olds) what STAR WARS was to the 1977 generation. Both that score in particular and Zimmer himself needs to be applauded for that!

Strung up more like! slant

I jest of course, there is some Zimmer I like a lot. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    petersv wrote
    (though to be fair, being raised in Sweden in the eighties probably instilled a poor frame of reference, musically).

Welcome, Peter! wave

LOL biggrin biggrin biggrin

That was hilarious in a horrible way!

And just to proove Britain had more to it than the likes of The Beatles, Stones, Bowie, Floyd etc etc etc here's.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu-UkTv8tVk

cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Strung up more like! slant

I jest of course, there is some Zimmer I like a lot. wink

Glad you edited the post, just to clarify wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorpetersv
    Martijn wrote
    petersv wrote

Welcome, Peter! wave

I'm just glad to share the pain!

Thanks for the welcome everyone. wave
  2. Timmer wrote
    ...My next purchase was Geoff Love's Bond Movie Themes and from there there was no stopping me. Next purchase was the original soundtrack for Goldfinger and the rest, as they say, is history! smile

That's scary!!

One of my earliest purchases was Geoff Love's Big Terror Movie Themes (http://www.blaxploitation.com/s_155.html). Great stuff!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    ...My next purchase was Geoff Love's Bond Movie Themes and from there there was no stopping me. Next purchase was the original soundtrack for Goldfinger and the rest, as they say, is history! smile

That's scary!!

One of my earliest purchases was Geoff Love's Big Terror Movie Themes (http://www.blaxploitation.com/s_155.html). Great stuff!!

Yep! Had that too.

I wish they could be bought on CD, I'd love to hear them all again, in particular, his Great War Movie Themes which I remember being quite faithful to the originals.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobinson
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2008
    Hi Everybody!
    I already know some people here but for those I don't please let me say that my name is Robinson and I love both films and scores very much.
    My favorite composers are Thomas Newman, James Newton Howard, Danny Elfman, Elmer Bernstein, Hans Zimmer, John Williams (of course), Ennio Morricone, Howard Shore...wow, can i name them all? shame
    I really enjoy sharing experiences about films and score with other people so please don't be shy to say hi...
    Robinson
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Robinson, at last mate! Welcome aboard!
  3. Robinson wrote
    Hi Everybody!
    I already know some people here but for those I don't please let me say that my name is Robinson and I love both films and scores very much.
    My favorite composers are Thomas Newman, James Newton Howard, Danny Elfman, Elmer Bernstein, Hans Zimmer, John Williams (of course), Ennio Morricone, Howard Shore...wow, can i name them all? shame
    I really enjoy sharing experiences about films and score with other people so please don't be shy to say hi...

Hy Robinson, glad to have you onboard smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobinson
    Thank you guys! cheesy
    Robinson
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yay Robinson, really good to see you here bud biggrin
  4. Hello !

Salut !

I'm new here, even if I know some people here (actually, a very few biggrin ) !

I'm the Media Ventures/Remote Control protector, and I'm proud of it... cool

And I run Hans-Zimmer.com with my boss who left me alone => Antas ! crazy wave

Hans needs guys as additional music composers... Antas needed someone as additional webmaster...

I won ! punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2008
    You know me! biggrin wave

As long as you don't argue the case Desperate Housewives vs. Lost you'll be very happy here. smile wink
  5. Anthony wrote
    You know me! biggrin wave

As long as you don't argue the case Desperate Housewives vs. Lost you'll be very happy here. smile wink

Don't worry, I will NEVER write the names Giacchino & Desplat here, NEVER... I don't want to be banned ! shocked biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2008
    Welcome aboard my man!