• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor, most film composers who conduct their own works are metronome-kind of conductors anyway. FACT.

I guess. But most of the videos I've seen of film composers in action in front of an orchestra have been with people with great artistic conducting skills as well - Wililams, Horner, Goldsmith etc.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor, most film composers who conduct their own works are metronome-kind of conductors anyway. FACT.

I guess. But most of the videos I've seen of film composers in action in front of an orchestra have been with people with great artistic conducting skills as well - Wililams, Horner, Goldsmith etc.

I think it would be very different in a concert environment than in a studio (with a click-track).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I think it would be very different in a concert environment than in a studio (with a click-track).

Well, not those that i've seen.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Well, not those that i've seen.

You evidently haven't seen the ones that I've seen then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, i guess so wink Who will these might be?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Goldsmith, Williams, Bernstein, Morricone. Williams and Morricone are less expressive, but get the job done. Goldsmith and Bernstein were real showmen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I've seen Morricone on a recent dvd, nothing special but still not a metronome. I haven't seen the others. Bernstein has the blood of the great one, Leonard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Elmer was great. He used to sing along as he was conducting!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

I still regret not going to see Elmer when I had the chance a few years ago sad
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Did you ever see him? I was lucky enough to see him twice. Once when he did the film music concert at the proms (and the whole audience whistled along to The Great Escape, which cracked him up) and then he came back a year or two later just to conduct his own music. Michael Aspel came out with the Big Red Book at one of them, can't remember which one. Having seen Goldsmith, Bernstein, Barry, Morricone and Williams, I've seen all five of the great ones of my lifetime. There's nobody else in that league, but I'd love to see Horner do a concert. Apparently he's so shy it'll never happen, but some of his music would lend itself so well to the concert environment, and if he doesn't conduct it, I don't suppose anyone will.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Did you ever see him? I was lucky enough to see him twice. Once when he did the film music concert at the proms (and the whole audience whistled along to The Great Escape, which cracked him up) and then he came back a year or two later just to conduct his own music. Michael Aspel came out with the Big Red Book at one of them, can't remember which one. Having seen Goldsmith, Bernstein, Barry, Morricone and Williams, I've seen all five of the great ones of my lifetime. There's nobody else in that league, but I'd love to see Horner do a concert. Apparently he's so shy it'll never happen, but some of his music would lend itself so well to the concert environment, and if he doesn't conduct it, I don't suppose anyone will.

Unfortunately I never did James, Elmer's death was a shock from nowhere ( unlike Goldsmith's demise ), I'd intended to go to the one you mentioned ( with Aspel ) but for whatever reason didn't, I always figured there would be another chance in the future sad

As you know I've seen all the other big league composers you mentioned and like you I think James Horner is the only composer I haven't seen that's currently working that would really and truly get me excited. Wasn't there talk about 10 years ago that he was going to do some Titanic concerts in London?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2009
    Southall wrote

Indeed. I had the chance to attend the concert he conducted in Barcelona some years ago. Really impressive.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. Here's some audio clips of Tyler's The Lazarus Project:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Lazarus-Pro … p;sr=103-1
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2009
    Wow I didn´t remember so much music in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2009 edited
    DRAGONBALL: Evolution

Another track from the score:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGrAKk7lAJg&NR=1

TRAILER of the movie:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFi782YY … re=related
    • CommentAuthorWDWGuy08
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGrAKk7lAJg&NR=1

was not posted by brian tyler. just FYI!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The same link i posted above.
    • CommentAuthorWDWGuy08
    yes it is, i just didn't know how to do quotes, was just letting people know.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2009
    FAST AND FURIOUS
    Original Motion Picture Score

Music Composed by Brian Tyler

Vin Diesel and Paul Walker reteam for the ultimate chapter of the franchise built on speed — Fast and Furious. Heading back to the streets where it all began, they rejoin Michelle Rodriguez and Jordana Brewster to blast muscle, tuner and exotic cars across Los Angeles and floor through the Mexican desert in the new high-octane action-thriller.

When a crime brings them back to L.A., fugitive ex-con Dom Toretto (Diesel) reignites his feud with agent Brian O'Conner (Walker). But as they are forced to confront a shared enemy, Dom and Brian must give in to an uncertain new trust if they hope to outmanuever him. And from convoy heists to precision tunnel crawls across international lines, two men will find the best way to get revenge: push the limits of what's possible behind the wheel.

Brian Tyler, who composed the best score of the franchise for Tokyo Drift, returns to supercharge this latest model.

Universal Pictures opens Fast and Furious nationwide on April 3.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 066 960 2
    Release Date: 04/28/09
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Also
    Anthony wrote
    FAST AND FURIOUS
    Brian Tyler, who composed the best score of the franchise for Tokyo Drift, returns to supercharge this latest model.

Also supercharging is Varese Sarabande...! Whau, one score realise after the other... not everything interesting, though.
    We'll see....

all best
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, apart from Varese's usual blah attitude, Fast and the furious: tokyo drift WAS a powerhouse on its own.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    At least this time they are not overreacting (or directly lying) in their description: Tokyo Drift was indeed the best score of the franchise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    At least this time they are not overreacting (or directly lying) in their description: Tokyo Drift was indeed the best score of the franchise.

By far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2009
    Brian Tyler conducts "The Legend" for Dragonball Evolution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXGy-EwAjdk&eurl=
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote

Who says there are no memorable themes in the score? You have two of them in less than a minute and a half! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

Hmmmm? A version of Elfman's Batman theme eh?

On another thread someone said they thought it was just coincidence that Tyler's score sounded like Batman. Well, only if it's also a coincidence that the pope is catholic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Hmmmm? An interesting version of Elfman's Batman theme eh?

Not that interesting, sadly!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Correct! And I've edited my post.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Correct! And I've edited my post.

Batman, an overrated score of an overrated composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2009 edited
    As I said, some opinions are just plain wrong. tongue