• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2011
    I love Malena! Great album. I even liked the film - not many did, but I was enraptured by Ms Bellucci's charms.

So... Peter... what's the Hayley Westenra album like?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2011 edited
    Another thumbs up from me for MALENA.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    So... Peter... what's the Hayley Westenra album like?

It's a surprisingly good album, with a good song selection. You can tell that alot of thought has been put into it. The singing is not simply put over an old arrangement, but the instrumental arrangement is interesting and new. It's like a duet between her voice and the instruments, in that they support each other and are both given alot of attention. (if that makes sense)

Her voice is really gorgeous, but I personally find her voice a bit too light and innocent at times. Some of the other artists Morricone used to work with, like Milva and Mireille Mathieu you could really feel in your stomach as they sang with such power (example). Westenra is more typical classical crossover stuff, where it's all very sweet and beautiful, but not to everyone's taste. La califfa is a nice example. If you like it, you will like the album.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote
    Her voice is really gorgeous, but I personally find her voice a bit too light and innocent at times.

I plan to marry that girl one day.
    Srsly.

I'm not crazy or anything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    And no doubt she fancies you too, Steven.

Peter tongue
  1. Thanks for the recommendations, will definitely pick it up, might also get the Hayley Westenra album which I'd never heard of!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote
    And no doubt she fancies you too, Steven.

Peter tongue

Well, I keep sending her love letters written with my own blood, but I don't think she's received them yet? She hasn't replied. (I just got this weird letter saying I had to remain at least 500 yards away from her? Very odd.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    John Chambers wrote
    Thanks for the recommendations, will definitely pick it up, might also get the Hayley Westenra album which I'd never heard of!

Cool! thumbsup

Steven wrote
    Well, I keep sending her love letters written with my own blood, but I don't think she's received them yet? She hasn't replied. (I just got this weird letter saying I had to remain at least 500 yards away from her? Very odd.)

Try sending her some roses spray painted black. If that doesn't help, try to catch her pet and send it to her in a box, dead and carefully dissected. If that doesn't do the trick I don't know what will.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You can always ask it to rub the lotion on its body?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. And then put the lotion in the f*cking basket?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    See? Don't know about Hayley, but I am feeling aroused already!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    dizzy freezing
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    And don't forget to call her up and give her a pick-up line that just can't fail: "I'll eat your liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti..... pftpftpftpftpftpft".

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...or tell her how much the brain chomping scene in Hannibal turns you on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2011 edited
    In case any law enforcement agencies are reading this thread: WE ARE KIDDING!!!

*except for Steven. Better question him, and check his basement just to be sure.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Here's a true story...

MENTALIST!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011 edited
    Fat man and little boy! Oh, and other stuff too.

This is my all-time favourite theme. Pure, concentrated sadness. Finally getting a release of this score after 20 years. Thought it would never happen. And a 2 CD release, with lots of material not even in the movie!

FAT MAN AND LITTLE BOY – 2 cd set
    Music by Ennio Morricone
    LLLCD 1196
    Limited Edition of 3000 units
    Retail Price: $19.98

Produced by Dan Goldwasser
    Mastered by Mike Matessino
    Liner Notes by Daniel Schweiger
    Art Direction by Dan Goldwasser

We still can’t believe it – after nearly 200 releases we finally have The Maestro on our label. Even more, it’s a never released and, for most of it, HEARD score by him! When we cracked opened the masters we discovered a wealth of material that was completely cut from the 1989 film. Working with Mike Matessino, producer Dan Goldwasser was able to ID all the music that is not heard in the final film to assemble a magnificent soundtrack unheard by most until now. If the movie released in 1989 had all this gorgeous music in it, viewers may have felt differently about the end product. I sure hope you fall in love with this score as much as we did.

La-La Land Records is proud to present the world premiere release of acclaimed composer Ennio Morricone’s (THE MAN WITH NO NAME TRILOGY, THE THING, ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA, THE MISSION, THE UNTOUCHABLES) original score to Paramount Pictures’ 1989 docudrama FAT MAN AND LITTLE BOY, starring Paul Newman, Dwight Schultz and John Cusack, and directed by Roland Joffe. Never before released in any format, Mr. Morricone’s hauntingly beautiful and complex orchestral score receives a definitive, 2-CD treatment that demonstrates the composer’s notable skill in emotionally interpreting what is at once an amazing and tragic chapter in mankind’s history – the birth of the atom bomb. Full of dramatic suspense, passion, sadness and gravitas, this is a notable, major Hollywood work by Morricone that is ripe for discovery. This special 2-CD release includes source cues, alternates and exclusive, in-depth liner notes by film music writer Daniel Schweiger.

Peter biggrin
  3. That's exactly what I wanted to hear, Peter! Thanks.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011
    plindboe wrote
    This is my all-time favourite theme. Pure, concentrated sadness. Finally getting a release of this score after 20 years. Thought it would never happen. And a 2 CD release, with lots of material not even in the movie!

Oh my word.
    This is gorgeous.

Yeah.
    I'll get this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I remember watching this film years ago and falling in love with that theme. I thought at the time that since barely anyone had seen the film and that there really didn't seem to be much music in it at all, it was highly unlikely that a soundtrack would ever come out. And here it is, a 2 CD set! Pleased.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Glad you guys like it!

The theme is indeed such a gem! Be prepared for the fact that there will probably also be some harsh militaristic music. I have an album taped from the movie, and there's just 20 minutes of music. Much of it is difficult music. But whenever the theme appears it just floors you.

I'm sure there're are more themes though that didn't make the cut. I only have 20 minutes of music, so I can't really know what a 2 CD release will contain.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2011
    got my copy of the re-release of Exorcist II. Regan's Theme is classic Morricone very nice.
    tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2011
    NEW FSM RELEASE
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2011
    Frantic has never been one of my favourite Morricones. I do like it, but there are many other scores I'd rather want to get the FSM treatment. Anyway, the end credits as heard in the movie has always been a holy grail for many morriconians.

Peter smile
  4. Okay all you Morricone experts (and by that I mean mostly Peter...and James...and maybe a few others of you), I have a favor to ask. I've found that I can download a few Morricone compilations via Sony records, but I'm mostly unfamiliar with the music found on them. I doubt I would enjoy the whole album, and so I wonder if any of you fine folks could help me cherry-pick any tracks from them that are great. By great I mean outrageously beautiful, like those gorgeous themes from the Mission. Here are the albums:
    Cinema 70
    Film Music Maestro
    Gun for Ringo/Return of Ringo/Death Rides a Horse
    Spaghetti Western
    The Legendary Italian Westerns

I know that's a lot to ask. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Also, anyone heard his score to the film BUTTERFLY? How's that?

-Chris
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2012 edited
    Christopher, it sounds like you should stay far away from "Film Music Maestro", as it appears to be cheap synthesizer rearrangements. Urgh! It has some good selections, but the performances are very much inferior to the originals. With Morricone compilations it's always best to go for albums with music from the OSTs, as rerecordings almost never seem to work.

I don't know if the album "Cinema 70" has original tracks or rerecorded tracks. From my experience of various compilations I get the feeling this album has OST tracks, so it's probably alright. There aren't really any pieces similar to The Mission, but there are some fantastic tracks. I recommend these:

2.Metello (fantastic classical sounding piece)
    6.La Carta Notte Delle Bambole Di Vetro (Beautiful and solemn waltz theme with piano, strings and Edda dell'Orso)
    8.Cosa Avete Fatto A Solange? (Beautiful love theme with Edda like only Morricone can make them)
    9.Il Maestro E Margherita (Another beautiful love theme with Edda like only Morricone can make them)
    10.Allonsanfan (This isn't a gorgeous theme, so not sure if you're interested, but it's one of Ennio's coolest themes, and one of the most unique film music themes in history. Tarantino used it in Inglorious basterds)
    14.Giordano Bruno (Gorgeous and tragic piece performed by strings and organ)
    15.Spasmo (Judging by the track length I think this might be the single version of the track Bambole. If it is, it's a really delicious theme performed on clarinet, backed by harpsichords)
    18.L'umanoide (Has some rather dated synth stuff, but it's a very nice piece)
    20.Per La Antiche Scale (Gorgeous love theme on flute and piano)
    21.Per Amore (Another nice love theme)
    23.Stato Interessante (This is an all-time favourite. So unique. No one but Morricone can create music like this.)
    24.Orient-Express (Synthy, but great theme with Edda magic)

You should probably compare your first downloads to the youtube links, to make sure it's the OST tracks on that compilation. The youtubes I linked to has music from the OSTs (except the video for track 20).

About the album Gun for Ringo/Return of Ringo/Death Rides a Horse, the best material is present on the Spaghetti western compilation, so don't worry about that one.

From the Spaghetti western album I recommend:
    01.A Gun for Ringo (Fantastic theme)
    05.The Slaughter (Dramatic showdown cue)
    14.Bullets Don't Argue (Simplistic, but extremely catchy western theme)
    15.Seven Women for the McGregor (Not sure you'll like this, but I love it. Very laid-back)
    17.Mystic and Severe (Also used in Tarantino's Inglorious basterds. Not sure if you'll like it, but it's pretty cool)
    21.Mouth to Mouth (Sweet love theme that I'm sure you will like)
    26.The Funeral (Another great theme)

From The legendary italian westerns the following are all classic must-haves:
    5.Overture
    11.For A Fistful of Dollars
    16.Sixty Seconds to What?
    19.The Vice of Killing (Almost as good as the famous The ecstacy of gold)
    22.Goodbye, Colonel!
    23.For A Few Dollars More
    28.Once Upon A Time In The West
    30.Man With A Harmonica

It's western music though, so it's as far from The mission as it's possible to get. It's stuff that you must know and have though, before you can describe yourself as a true film score fan.

Oh, and do you like western songs? If so, A gringo like me, Angel face, The return of Ringo and Lonesome Billy are four of the cathiest songs ever written.

Oh, and to your last question, Butterfly is a great album. Very sensual music. Examples: 1, 2. Me and my gf played this CD alot the week we first met, so it has alot of sentimental value for me and her.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2012
    And a vocal by Pia Zadora, what's not to like? wink
  5. Thanks Peter! You must have taken a long time to put that post together. I really appreciate it. I'll give some of these a try right away.

Chris
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2012
    No problemo, Christopher. Hope you'll come to enjoy these pieces as much as I do. smile

Did indeed take a long time, but I enjoyed listening to all the youtube clips while digging them out. Always happy to help others become aware of Morricone's awesomeness.

Peter smile
  6. I listened through all those YouTube clips, Peter. My favorites are Metello (very cool!) and Giordano Bruno. I think L'uminoide, if it were all orchestral could be really wonderful. As it is it's not that bad even with all the dated synth. I'll look into some of the others soon.