• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2010
    It's good but I can't compare it to the Laserlight which I've not heard of.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2011
  1. I've been following these posts also.

Cacciatori di Navi is one that I was immediately drawn to. I'll need to hunt that one down.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    All I would say about that one is that it really is like a whole album of slight variations on the same track! There are four seven-minute versions of it, five three-minute versions and one unrelated suspense track, if memory serves me.
  2. I found the first 7-minute track on YouTube. Are you suggesting that that's enough to be getting on with?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think so (Peter may disagree!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2011 edited
    It's true that the main theme (that brilliant 7 minute thingy) is repeated similarly 4 times, with most of the variation being in orchestration. That said, being such an extraordinary theme I think the other orchestrations are well worth it. Two of them use an organ, which I feel in my stomach when I listen to it. They're very powerful listens. The one that's almost entirely by pan flutes is also a real treat. Then there are 5 versions of the secondary theme* all with the length 3:25, so again it's the same composition but with varying orchestration. This theme is more athmospheric than catchy, but it's not a bad listen at all. Besides that there are two dissonant tracks, and being Morricone, this dissonance is rather difficult to enjoy.

Overall I think it's a good and enjoyable album. But it depends on how much you like the main theme and the pan flute stuff. Since it's in my top10 of all-time favourite themes I find the album a real gem.

I'll be happy to mail you one of the organ versions, Alan, if you'd like to hear it.

Peter smile

*btw, the secondary theme is played in counterpoint with a part of the main theme, which can make the album seem even less varied.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2011
    Speaking Ship hunters, I sometimes wonder whether Morricone is the film composer with the ability to compose the longest themes. Sometimes he just seems to be able to let them go on and on. Gabriel's oboe is another good example of a melody that doesn't just repeat the notes unaltered, as most themes seem to do these days. He also seem to be the champ of counterpoint melodies.

I just can't think of anyone else making a theme even close to this in brilliance and uniqueness.

I'll stop ranting and drooling now. Listening to Ship hunters I'm just reminded of why I love this guy so much.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Random question! What's the best version of the Ecstasy of Gold, you guys think? The original, a rerecorded one?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2011 edited
    ORIGINAL!

I've never heard a rerecording even 10% as good as the original. Morricone is impossible to rerecord for some reason*, especially when it comes to the westerns.

Peter smile

*probably because he arranges all his own stuff, so his arrangements get a very personal and unique sound, unlike Williams and Horner which get a more typical Hollywood sound
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah

FACT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's also THE request from friends on the rare occasions I've played a bit of film music in a social gathering at my house.
  3. Timmer wrote
    yeah

FACT!

Definitely!
  4. plindboe wrote
    I'll be happy to mail you one of the organ versions, Alan, if you'd like to hear it.

Thanks for that. Yes please!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The original, yes. Although I wish the sound quality was better.

The live version in RAH last year wasn't bad, but it missed the tubular bells/chimes towards the end of the cue, which are crucial the big climax.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thanks for that. Yes please!

Have sent it. Hopefully I sent it to the right address.

Peter punk
  5. I received it just fine. Thanks.

And reading James' review having this track and the first track might just be enough! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2011
    tv project he scored, 2009

MI RICORDO ANNA FRANK, music by Ennio Morricone

Any info about this?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    tv project he scored, 2009

MI RICORDO ANNA FRANK, music by Ennio Morricone

Any info about this?

This has been around for several years now. It's directed by regular Morricone collaborator Alberto Negrin, but it seems to be a TV movie of some sort. And since it's yet another adaptation of the Anne Frank story, I guess it's lost to the annals of time. Doubt there ever was a soundtrack.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    A release was initially planned but the plans were abandoned. There's been no news since, and it's unlikely that's we'll see a release in the near future. I bet it will happen at some point, but that point might as well be 1 year into the future as 30 years into the future.

Apparently the movie is available on youtube-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKy5CSIvS7g

Think I'll rip the music (with dialogue and SFX of course sad)

Peter slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I love Morricone's scores for Negrin. Well, some of them. I think I do, anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2011 edited
    Thanks, let us know if we got any new releases of new scores.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011
    What the deuce is Negrin confused confused confused
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote

I believe it is a person. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  6. sdtom wrote

Maybe the director Alberto Negrin? Looking down his list of films (particularly TV) that he has directed I can see titles such as Memories of Anne Frank, Pane e Liberta, Nana, Missus and Il Segreto del Sahara - all scored by Morricone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    sdtom wrote

Maybe the director Alberto Negrin? Looking down his list of films (particularly TV) that he has directed I can see titles such as Memories of Anne Frank, Pane e Liberta, Nana, Missus and Il Segreto del Sahara - all scored by Morricone.

Yep!

88-Il segreto del Sahara (Bloody brilliant score)
    90-Voyage of Terror: The Achille Lauro Affair (Thriller score, nothing too special)
    93-Missus (Ok score, though I haven't really gotten into it yet)
    98-I guardiani del cielo (Bloody brilliant, right up there with 'Il segreto del Sahara')
    99-Nanà (Great theme, and a great album)
    02-Perlasca. Un eroe italiano (Several standout tracks, one of my gf's favourite Morricone scores)
    05-Il cuore nel pozzo (One of my favourite post-2000 scores)
    06-Gino Bartali - L'intramontabile (Decent album, nothing special)
    07-L'ultimo dei Corleonesi (Thriller/action score with a couple of decent tracks, but otherwise a difficult album)
    09-Pane e libertà (Wonderful album, probably my favourite of 2009)
    09-Mi ricordo Anna Frank (Unreleased, *sniff)

Essentially most of the scores for this director are great, with a few exceptions. As with Tornatore the results are nearly always special.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Il segreto del Sahara and I guardiani del cielo are the outstanding ones, I think.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Secret of The Sahara is fantastic! I've not hear 'I Guardiani'?