• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2010
    The trailer for Wyatt Earp.

I never knew before that Morricone's "Time of destiny" was used. I find it über-cool that this obscure but amazing music was used in such a big trailer, and also that it's used in the trailer so prominently.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2010
    Peter, Southall

If you had to choose three scores, what'd it be?

Aida degli alberi
    Atame! (Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down)
    Bugsy
    Bulworth
    Canone Inverso
    Casualties of War
    City of Joy
    Cosi Come Sei
    E Ridendo L'uccise
    El Greco/ Giordano Bruno
    Exorcist 2: The Heretic
    Focus (w/ Dulce Pontes)
    Forza G
    Gino Bartali L'Intramontabile
    Il Cuore Nel Pozzo
    Il Giardino del Delize/ Quartiere/ L'Uomo Proietille
    Il Ladrone / L'Harem
    Il Maestro e Margherita/ Per Le Antiche Scale
    Il Pentito
    Il Prefetto di Ferro/ Il Mostro
    Island, The
    Karol un papa rimasto uomo
    Karol un uomo diventato papa
    L'Avventuriero/ Oceano
    L'Eredita Ferramonti/ Libera Amore Mio
    La Battaglia di Algieri
    La Casa Bruciata
    La Dame aux Camelias
    La Leggenda del pianista sull' oceano
    La Luz Prodigiosa
    La Sconosciuta
    La Venexiana/ Mosca Addio
    La Villa del Vinerdi
    Love Affair
    Malena
    Mio Caro Dottor Grasler
    Mose
    Musashi
    Musashi Encore
    Navajo Joe
    Ninfa Plebea
    Novecento
    Occhio Alla Penna
    Perlasca
    Revolver
    Sahara
    Stanno Tutti Bene
    Time to Die
    Tutte le donne della mia vita
    Two Mules for Sister Sara/ Days of Heaven
    Una Storia Italiana
    Vatel
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    It would be easier if you asked which three scores you shouldn't get, as that list has lots of really great scores. Anyway, my selection would be:

1.La Leggenda del pianista sull' oceano
    2.Two Mules for Sister Sara/ Days of Heaven
    3..... not sure about the third as there are so many good ones in that list. The one I personally enjoy the most of the remainder is probably Cosi Come Sei.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thanks Peter. I suppose these are Morricone in heartbreaking/ dramatic/emotional mode?

Bhel, you know what to do! wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Man, I don't remember anything from Cosi Come Sei except that it had an awesome cover.
    It was hard putting all these for sale but that's the need of the hour.

My faves from above are Malena, Il Cuore nel Pozzo, La Luz Prodigiosa, Leggenda del pianista..., Casualties of War, La Villa del Vinerdi.

Bregt, I hope you're aware that La Leggenda dell pianista... is the Italian cd release of Legend of 1900.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2010 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Thanks Peter. I suppose these are Morricone in heartbreaking/ dramatic/emotional mode?

La Leggenda del pianista sull' oceano is mainly piano with a little jazzy stuff interspersed, and some classic Morricone themes. The long track is really breathtaking, and is often played in concerts. Here's the scene it accompanies (the highlight starts at 1:55). The love theme is also wonderful, and there are plenty other great tracks on the album. This score is a masterpiece, and is one of Ennio's best from the 90s, possibly only rivalled by Nostromo

Two Mules for Sister Sara/ Days of Heaven is a single album containing two wonderful Morricone scores, the first one an entertaining western score, the second one Morricone's first oscar nomination. Days of heaven is a real masterpiece with several standout tracks. I love this theme.

Cosi' come sei is more in the vain of Morricone's romantic scores from the 70s, like "Questa specie d'amore" and "La califfa". It's perhaps a bit lighter and more poppy, but the themes are all wonderful. Here's a nice suite.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    BhelPuri wrote
    Man, I don't remember anything from Cosi Come Sei except that it had an awesome cover.
    It was hard putting all these for sale but that's the need of the hour.

Damn, that must be hard. Though to be honest, I sometimes think about selling my Morricone CDs as well, as I have ripped them all to my pooter anyway. Playing CDs individually is behind me, now that I have everything in itunes, and it kinda defeats the purpose of owning the physical products.

I hope you've ripped all your CDs, BP. Giving up the CDs doesn't mean you'll have to give up the music.

I recommend listening more to Cosi' come sei, as it's a fantastic album.

BhelPuri wrote
    My faves from above are Malena, Il Cuore nel Pozzo, La Luz Prodigiosa, Leggenda del pianista..., Casualties of War, La Villa del Vinerdi.

Great scores, except for La Luz Prodigiosa which I don't really get why people like. It has a great song, sure, but the rest just seems like instrumental off-shoots of the song. I haven't really gotten into La Villa del Venerdi yet. It sounds charming, but I need to listen to it more. The other 4 you mention are indeed fantastic.

BhelPuri wrote
    Bregt, I hope you're aware that La Leggenda dell pianista... is the Italian cd release of Legend of 1900.

Yep, and it contains 8 extra tracks. For a fanatic like me, it's certainly a superior release. That said, I think the Roger Waters/Van Halen song is better on the american release.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2010
    I agree with Peter's furst two choices but would probably say Canone Inverso, Vatel or Malena as number 3....
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    I agree with Peter's furst two choices but would probably say Canone Inverso, Vatel or Malena as number 3....

I'd agree with Canone Inverso and Malena, which are both excellent scores. Vatel is a very good score, but perhaps a bit of an acquired taste.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BP, I'll get a mail to you tomorrow. smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    plindboe wrote
    I hope you've ripped all your CDs, BP. Giving up the CDs doesn't mean you'll have to give up the music.

Not yet. But I'll do so in the coming days.

I recommend listening more to Cosi' come sei, as it's a fantastic album.

Yeah, I will do. I did most of the addictive Morricone listening a few years back. Since then it's been more of exploring Armand Amar, Frisina, Talgorn, Delerue, Desplat.

Great scores, except for La Luz Prodigiosa which I don't really get why people like. It has a great song, sure, but the rest just seems like instrumental off-shoots of the song. I haven't really gotten into La Villa del Venerdi yet. It sounds charming, but I need to listen to it more. The other 4 you mention are indeed fantastic.

Wow? You don't like the Ricerca del Pane cue? The viola is gorgeous. It's a score that grew on me with time. It's the small cues like L'Amante Pianoforte or Il Patto from Villa del Venerdi (Gilda Butta piano) that I really enjoy.

I kept a few Morricone scores for myself and I could not part with Al Cuore si Comanda. Breezy fun that one is.

BhelPuri wrote

Yep, and it contains 8 extra tracks. For a fanatic like me, it's certainly a superior release. That said, I think the Roger Waters/Van Halen song is better on the american release.

Peter smile

I decided to keep the US release purely for sentimental reasons and that it's a more compact listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    BhelPuri wrote

I didn't know. I don't have it yet. Is there much difference between both releases (or did you just translate it)?

Southall wrote

spin

Lets start with Peter choices. Malena is quite available I think?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    I'm sure you can find Malena very easily. Mose.. is this La Bibbia: Mose or Moses the Lawgiver? The second is a great epic Morricone, one of his finest.

I agree with the above mentioned titles, but do think the ''disco'' cues on Cosi' come sei are horrible.
    However, I would choose a different bunch of scores:

1. Revolver (Un Ami is great, the 12 minute action cue is fantastic...) This my number one favorite of all Morricone's next to Il Segreto di Sahara.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlEDlsIfArY (the releases also contains an instrumental version)

2. Karol un papa rimasto uomo (inspiring, inspiring)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IIn00h7iDM (with film images)

3. This is quite difficult. There are about 15 scores that would deserve the third place. I'v narrowed it down to these two:

La Battaglia di Algieri (great 4 note motif, some militairy marches etc)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW6DlvPd_Cs

La Sconosciuta (a tour de force suspense score with a delightdul theme)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBybBqREXtM
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2010
    Joep wrote
    Mose.. is this La Bibbia: Mose or Moses the Lawgiver? The second is a great epic Morricone, one of his finest.

That's Mose (Moses the Lawgiver). I'm also selling Marco Frisina's La Bibbia: Mose but someone else has dibs on it.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Moses the Lawgiver is ''a bit'' better than La Bibbia wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    confused

I really rather disliked the atonality in Morricone's Moses (when I first got that I was expecting/hoping for something like The Ten Commandments...boy, did I take a wrong turn at Alburquerque!).

I really prefer Frisina's La Bibbia.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Moses (1974) is kinda divided into three parts:

1.Melodic stuff - The amazing main theme, a solemn secondary theme and the great and unique standalone cue Israel.
    2.Harsh dissonant stuff
    3.Awful source music - Believe it or not, the source music is actually a worse listen than the harsh dissonance.

I've made the point before that this release would be vastly superior with a shorter release. As it is now it's very difficult to get through in a single listen. Still, the melodic parts are great, so it's still a worthy score, but I wouldn't call it one of his best.

Fun fact: I hear that there was actually another brilliant piece composed for the 1974 Moses that for some reason Morricone didn't want on the CD release. This piece was later reused in the La bibbia series, in an inferior arrangement. Can't remember if it's the main or end theme, but I think it's one of them.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    So how would you re-organise Moses to make it an enjoyable listen, Peter?
    I'd be happy to give it another shot. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    BhelPuri wrote
    plindboe wrote

Wow? You don't like the Ricerca del Pane cue? The viola is gorgeous. It's a score that grew on me with time. It's the small cues like L'Amante Pianoforte or Il Patto from Villa del Venerdi (Gilda Butta piano) that I really enjoy.

Yes, L'amante e il pianoforte is one of the tracks I have noticed. I will give the two other tracks some more playtime. Having a big Morricone collection means that there's bound to be a few neglected scores here and there, so I might become wiser about those two after additional listens.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Joep wrote
    I agree with the above mentioned titles, but do think the ''disco'' cues on Cosi' come sei are horrible.

Come on, they are absolutely catchy and hilarious! That said, the rest of the album is filled up with gorgeous themes.

Joep wrote
    However, I would choose a different bunch of scores:

1. Revolver (Un Ami is great, the 12 minute action cue is fantastic...) This my number one favorite of all Morricone's next to Il Segreto di Sahara.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlEDlsIfArY (the releases also contains an instrumental version)

2. Karol un papa rimasto uomo (inspiring, inspiring)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IIn00h7iDM (with film images)

3. This is quite difficult. There are about 15 scores that would deserve the third place. I'v narrowed it down to these two:

La Battaglia di Algieri (great 4 note motif, some militairy marches etc)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW6DlvPd_Cs

La Sconosciuta (a tour de force suspense score with a delightdul theme)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBybBqREXtM

I agree with Revolver, which is a great action thriller score. Karol un papa rimasto uomo I find a very heavy listen though. La Battaglia di Algieri and La Sconosciuta have some good standout cues, but also alot of harsh stuff, so they're not for everyone.

I'm not criticizing your choices btw. Just adding my opinions so Bregt can make an informed choice about which ones to get.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    So how would you re-organise Moses to make it an enjoyable listen, Peter?
    I'd be happy to give it another shot. smile

I'd just play the tracks:

Disc 1: 1, 2, 3, 12
    Disc 2: 1, 6, 10

Only 7 tracks, but still amounts to 28½ minutes. That's only the tracks I've rated 3 or more stars in itunes. I've rated the rest of the tracks of the double CD release 1 stars, which shows quite well just how difficult a listen this album is.

If I was to make a real release, I'd probably include some of the clever and atmospheric dissonance, as it can be quite powerful in lower dosages. I'd also include the great unreleased theme. I'm sure I could make a hell of a release, about 45 minutes long, if I was granted album producing powers.

Peter smile

PS. Remember not to expect the Ten commandments this time. wink This music is rather solemn, emotional, spiritual and jewish sounding at times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thanks! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    beer
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2010 edited
    I agree with Revolver, which is a great action thriller score. Karol un papa rimasto uomo I find a very heavy listen though. La Battaglia di Algieri and La Sconosciuta have some good standout cues, but also alot of harsh stuff, so they're not for everyone.

I'm not criticizing your choices btw. Just adding my opinions so Bregt can make an informed choice about which ones to get.

Peter smile

Exactly. I talked to Bregt about them some more and explained them more thorougly. He loved the song Un Amico, but wasn't convinced by the 12 minute action cue. The thing with this list is that you and I can probably agree on a great number of the scores. Morricone's works can suffer from a lack of consistency; they can include one or more cues that break with the general mood and quality. If that's really important to someone, then maybe Cosi' Come Sei isn't the best choice.

Two Mules for Sister Sara/ Days of Heaven and La Leggenda del pianista sull' ocean are excellent and safe choices.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    We like safe choices. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Joep wrote
    Moses the Lawgiver is ''a bit'' better than La Bibbia wink

Blasphemy! La Bibbia: Mose is way better than Mose (Moses the Lawgiver). There is simply no comparison between a rich, passionate, religious score to an average score with some great themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2010
    Last month I got Il giudice e il suo boia and the gritty bloody cover made me think, "Oh great, another suspenseful unlikable gallio score," but WOW, it has some really lovely moments.

Has anyone got Fraulein Doktor yet? I'm ordering it next month but I want to know if I'm correct in expecting something rather breathtaking.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010
    Morricone got the Polar Prize yesterday and the award ceremony has been uploaded to youtube:

Part 1 (starts at 8:20)
    Part 2
    Part 3

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010 edited
    HeeroJF wrote
    Has anyone got Fraulein Doktor yet? I'm ordering it next month but I want to know if I'm correct in expecting something rather breathtaking.

I just have an old boot and haven't tried the new release. But from what I have, the score is rather mono-thematic. The love theme is wonderful and classic Morricone, so it's great whenever it plays. There are some rather charming cues in the underscore but also some uninteresting ones. So it's worth buying, but don't expect tons of melodies.

That said, this release is 10 minutes longer than the boot I have, so I'm sure it has some goodies I don't have.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Morricone got the Polar Prize yesterday and the award ceremony has been uploaded to youtube:

Part 1 (starts at 8:20)
    Part 2
    Part 3

Peter smile

Thanks a lot! I love the Polar Prize awards, especially now that Morricone is one of the recipients. Previous winners have all been favourites of mine too, including Pink Floyd and Robert Moog.
    I am extremely serious.