• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011
    Me neither, how's this one? Interested! Sahara is simply beautiful.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2011
    It's been a while, but there's a brand new score from Morricone, Come Un Delfino...

http://www.intermezzomedia.com/index.ph … ku_id=7242
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2011
    A dude reviews the album on the Morricone discussion board-> http://enniomorricone.it/forum/viewtopi … &t=755

Sounds interesting, though not a masterpiece. In any case it's great to finally have an entirely new Morricone after 1½ year since Baaria. He has composed and is composing for other movies, so hopefully more new CDs will shortly follow.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2011
    I know I have asked this question at least twice before - please can someone tell me the film order of Mission to Mars? It's one of two CDs in my whole soundtrack collection which I can't listen to in the order presented on the album and for some reason it's not in my iTunes library, so I've lost (again) the "right" order. Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    01.All the friends
    02.A wife lost
    03.Towards the unknown
    04.Sacrifice of a hero
    05.An unexpected surprise
    06.And afterwards
    07.Ecstacy of Mars
    08.A martian
    09.A world which searches
    10.Where
    11.A heart beats in space

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    beer

Now playing: Where?

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2011 edited
    I sometimes wonder if they mixed up the titles. Considering the movie, the track "Where?" should have been called "Towards the unknown", since that's a scene where the hero is flying towards the unknown. And in the movie when they're looking for where the holes in the spacecraft are, the title "Where?" would have made more sense than "Towards the unknown".

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe wrote
    beer

Now playing: Where?

Peter punk

beer punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't know why Mission To Mars gets so much stick, it's a fantastic score and I've listened to it many times.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I don't know why Mission To Mars gets so much stick, it's a fantastic score and I've listened to it many times.

I just thought parts of it were ridiculous in the movie, but I haven't heard it as an album yet.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Same here. It's in my top10 of favourite scores evah, and the cue "Where?" is my all-time favourite finale piece.

I thought it was excellent in the movie as well and the only way I can explain some people's negative reactions is due to wrong expectations, thinking it would be a bombastic, typical Hollywood space adventure score. Oh, and people certainly weren't expecting an organ cue, especially not in a blockbuster sci-fi flick. For some people that instrument is just jarring. Morricone is way too different from the typical Hollywood composer to not stand out in a Hollywood flick.

Perhaps a mstake on Palma's part not to reject such an unconventional score, but I give him full kudos for being daring enough to keep it in.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I LOVE the organ, but it just took that whole scene (which was already pretty over-the-top) far too long.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I thought it was a brilliant score. It's my favourite of this century.
  1. I loved this score. It was bold and THERE. Had Tarantino spotted the film with this music, he would've have been praised for his post modern brilliance. But for some reason people couldn't take it in as a score.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2011
    Thor wrote
    I LOVE the organ, but it just took that whole scene (which was already pretty over-the-top) far too long.

Yes, perhaps the length combined with the fact that it's a very attention grapping instrument might explain the reactions. Being unconventional I'm sure is important as well. As I'm used to Morricone's sound, I found it a very fitting cue, and the negative reactions are kinda mysterious to me. When something isn't in line with people's expectations, it will stand out even more.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    I thought it was a brilliant score. It's my favourite of this century.

Mine too. punk

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've been looking through the list of Morricone CDs at SAE which I don't own and wonder if I'm missing anything special. Peter (or anyone else, but probably Peter!) - anything great in this rather long list?

Thanks!

CHE C'ENTRIAMO NOI CON LA RIVOLUZIONE?
    COME IMPARAI AD AMARE LE DONNE
    DALLE ARDENNE ALL’INFERNO
    D'AMORE SI MUORE
    DOVE VAI IN VACANZA?
    E PER TETTO UN CIELO DI STELLE
    EL GRECO
    FRAULEIN DOKTOR
    GENTE DI RISPETTO
    GIORDANO BRUNO
    GIORNATA NERA PER L'ARIETE
    HORNET'S NEST
    I PUGNI IN TASCA (FIST IN HIS POCKET) / LA CINA E’ VICINA
    IDOLI CONTROLUCE / E LA DONNA CREO L'UOMO
    IL GIARDINO DELLE DELIZIE (GARDEN OF DELIGHTS) / QUARTIERE / L'UOMO PROIETTILE
    IL GIOCATTOLO
    IL GIRO DEL MONDO DEGLI INNAMORATI DI PEYNET
    IL GIUDICE E IL SUO BOIA
    IL GIUSTIZIERE
    IL POLIZIOTTO DELLA BRIGATA CRIMINALE (PEUR SUR LA VILLE / NIGHT CALLER)
    IL PRIGIONIERO
    IL SORRISO DEL GRANDE TENTATORE (THE DEVIL IS A WOMAN)
    IN FONDO AL CUORE
    L’ULTIMO TRENO DELLA NOTTE
    LA BANDA J. & S. CRONACA CRIMINALE DEL FAR WEST
    LA CORTA NOTTE DELLE BAMBOLE DI VETRO
    LA DISUBBIDIENZA
    LA STORIA VERA DELLA SIGNORA DALLE CAMELIE
    LA TRAPPOLA SCATTA A BEIRUT (AGENT 505) / IL SUCCESSO
    LE FOTO PROIBITE DI UNA SIGNORA PERBENE
    LE PISTOLE NON DISCUTONO
    LE RUFFIAN
    L'ULTIMO UOMO DI SARA
    METELLO
    MILANO ODIA: LA POLIZIA NON PUO' SPARARE
    MIO CARO ASSASSINO
    MUSSOLINI ULTIMO ATTO
    SENZA SAPERE NIENTE DI LEI
    SI SALVI CHI VUOLE
    SLALOM
    TEPEPA
    UN TRANQUILLO POSTO DI CAMPAGNA
  2. You may just get a blanket "all of them" back from Peter.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. I'd recommend Gente di Rispetto out of the list: though the SAE clips don't really do it justice.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2011 edited
    (Very) good:
    -I Giacattolo is a really good score. Listen to 8 minutes of score: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpbwygjFFjs
    -Giordano Bruno has a good theme, catholic influences and tracks for choir only. Good music!

Nice:
    -Che C'entriamo Noi con la Rivoluzione? (too jolly)
    -Slalom
    -Corta Notte Delle Bambole Di Vetro
    -Le Ruffian

DOVE VAI IN VACANZA? is a film, consisting of three stories. Morricone, Piero Piccioni and Franco Bixio each composed the music to one of the three stories. So if you want a full Morricone, you'd better not buy this one.

LA BANDA J. & S. CRONACA CRIMINALE DEL FAR WEST has a good song, but may not offer very much good music if you know his ''great'' spaghetti western scores. But I like it quite a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Nice to see that you are in such a Morricone mood today, James. smile

It's been a while since I've heard several of those I must admit, so I'll just have to listen to some of them before I can come up with the answer.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    You may just get a blanket "all of them" back from Peter.

Hehe, no. While I'm a Morricone nut, I can be rather critical. I have a healthy sense of what's good and bad concerning Ennio. Nearly every time there's a thread on FSM about a Morricone score everyone seems to rave about it, no matter how awful it is. I've countless times been the first in these kinds of threads to point out problems with the album in question.

Peter smile

PS. Wow, playing Gente di rispetto I'm reminded again why this love theme is one of my all-time favourites. love No one writes love themes like Morricone.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Btw, I remember you said you had seen very few (Italian) films that he scored. Have you seen any lately?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I've temporarily given up on the italian movie idea, because I don't have any money to spare. When I'm not a poor student anymore I might go on a buying frenzy, but for the moment I just have to focus on listening to the music I have.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    Hi,

Someone has listened the new CD by Morricone: "Come un delfino" (TV Film)?

I would like to know if it´s good music?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    kilar30 wrote
    Hi,

Someone has listened the new CD by Morricone: "Come un delfino" (TV Film)?

I would like to know if it´s good music?

I haven't heard it yet. But I posted this link to a review above: http://enniomorricone.it/forum/viewtopi … &t=755

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2011 edited
    I listened to the scores and here's what I think:

I made three categories; "No" are albums that I don't recommend. "Maybe" are albums with something to offer, but I'm not sure they have enough for me to recommend them. "Yes" are albums that I recommend getting. In the last category I added my personal ratings and a few comments.

No:
    FRAULEIN DOKTOR
    GIORDANO BRUNO
    GIORNATA NERA PER L'ARIETE
    HORNET'S NEST
    I PUGNI IN TASCA (FIST IN HIS POCKET) / LA CINA E’ VICINA
    IL GIRO DEL MONDO DEGLI INNAMORATI DI PEYNET
    IL GIUSTIZIERE
    IL PRIGIONIERO
    L’ULTIMO TRENO DELLA NOTTE
    L'ULTIMO UOMO DI SARA
    LA CORTA NOTTE DELLE BAMBOLE DI VETRO
    LA TRAPPOLA SCATTA A BEIRUT (AGENT 505) / IL SUCCESSO
    METELLO
    MIO CARO ASSASSINO
    MUSSOLINI ULTIMO ATTO
    SENZA SAPERE NIENTE DI LEI
    UN TRANQUILLO POSTO DI CAMPAGNA

Maybe:
    CHE C'ENTRIAMO NOI CON LA RIVOLUZIONE?
    COME IMPARAI AD AMARE LE DONNE
    DALLE ARDENNE ALL’INFERNO
    D'AMORE SI MUORE
    DOVE VAI IN VACANZA?
    EL GRECO
    IDOLI CONTROLUCE / E LA DONNA CREO L'UOMO
    IL GIARDINO DELLE DELIZIE (GARDEN OF DELIGHTS) / QUARTIERE / L'UOMO PROIETTILE
    IL GIOCATTOLO
    IL GIUDICE E IL SUO BOIA
    IL POLIZIOTTO DELLA BRIGATA CRIMINALE (PEUR SUR LA VILLE / NIGHT CALLER)
    IL SORRISO DEL GRANDE TENTATORE (THE DEVIL IS A WOMAN)
    IN FONDO AL CUORE
    LA BANDA J. & S. CRONACA CRIMINALE DEL FAR WEST
    LA DISUBBIDIENZA
    LE FOTO PROIBITE DI UNA SIGNORA PERBENE
    LE RUFFIAN
    SI SALVI CHI VUOLE
    SLALOM

Yes:
    E PER TETTO UN CIELO DI STELLE (*****)
    This is one of Morricone's top western scores. A very catchy main theme that's either whistled or played on banjo. A wonderful and very catchy action theme. And the laid-back "Harry's ranch" theme which is sublimely beautiful and nostalgic. There are some pretty entertaining standalone tunes as well.

GENTE DI RISPETTO (****)
    The two beautiful love themes is the reason why I recommend this. There's a mandolin/guitar theme with that sicilian sound, and then there's a wonderful love theme that to my ears always sounds like it comes from "Once upon a time in America". The tension material is less interesting, though it's worth a listen.

LA STORIA VERA DELLA SIGNORA DALLE CAMELIE (****½)
    Great and unique piano-led main theme. The second track is a super sweet tune as well. Several of the remaining tracks are variations of the main theme. Perhaps my description doesn't sound like it's a good score, but it's highly listenable from start to end, and has alot of atmosphere.

LE PISTOLE NON DISCUTONO (****)
    This has a great main theme song, sung by Peter Tevis. Then there's the main theme which is rather simplistic, but is incredibly catchy. The tension theme "Gli indiani" is really amazing as well. I only have the CD with 6 tracks, but it looks like the 14 track version consists of repetitions of these themes. Still, these three themes are so great that it's a must-have. Classic Morricone, clearly showing off his amazing skill with westerns even before Leone came along.

MILANO ODIA: LA POLIZIA NON PUO' SPARARE (****)
    I'm not normally into Morricone's more tense scores, but this one has alot to offer. The track called "Raptus omicida", which is a suite, is a great listen. Kinda simple theme played by sax and an undercurrent of tension, but it's just delicious stuff. It's funny how sometimes the simplest of themes can be the most affecting.

TEPEPA (****)
    A very mexican sounding western score. A great and unique main theme with a great climax, some great standalone tunes, a song with Christy (acquired taste) and some other weird and funny cues.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2011
    Thank you very much! You're a star.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Happy to help. Hope you'll review some of them some day.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Joep wrote
    (Very) good:
    -I Giacattolo is a really good score. Listen to 8 minutes of score: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpbwygjFFjs

I need to give this some more attention. "Una tenera moglie" is surely a lovely theme.

Joep wrote
    -Giordano Bruno has a good theme, catholic influences and tracks for choir only. Good music!

I agree, it has an exceptional theme. I placed it in my "No" category because it offers nothing else but the theme. The theme tickles me all the right ways, and no one can create themes like that but Morricone, but the rest of the score is mainly unlistenable.

Joep wrote
    Nice:
    -Che C'entriamo Noi con la Rivoluzione? (too jolly)

Hehe, I agree. The main theme is great, but it's just the silly western sound throughout, and even though it's not bad, it's a very acquired taste.

Joep wrote
    -Slalom

Not a bad score. A bit silly and rather cheesy.

Joep wrote
    -Corta Notte Delle Bambole Di Vetro

Great theme, but the rest is dissonant mayhem.

Joep wrote
    -Le Ruffian

Has some great tracks, though some bad ones as well. His last western score some say, even though it's not really for a western.

Joep wrote
    DOVE VAI IN VACANZA? is a film, consisting of three stories. Morricone, Piero Piccioni and Franco Bixio each composed the music to one of the three stories. So if you want a full Morricone, you'd better not buy this one.

Indeed! The crazy and amazingly catchy track "Laringomania" and the wonderful short guitar piece "Due chitarre per una serenata" are worth the price of the album alone. I placed it in the "Maybe" category though because there's so little Morricone material on the album.

Joep wrote
    LA BANDA J. & S. CRONACA CRIMINALE DEL FAR WEST has a good song, but may not offer very much good music if you know his ''great'' spaghetti western scores. But I like it quite a lot.

Indeed. It's often considered one of his least interesting western scores, but I think it has alot to offer. The "Sweet Susan" cue is a real gem. I placed it in the "Maybe" category though since it's a bit silly and there are probably more worthy scores to try out first.

Peter smile