• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2008 edited
    NP Gears of War 2 (Steve Jablonsky)

The main theme is addictive, efective and I really like its variations through the score, but overall Gears of War 2 looks like a bastard brother of Transformers (which is miles better IMO). Anyway, really good action tracks.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2008
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Well, I honestly believe that Powell was going for some sort of "controlled"chaos in his score to X-Men III which matched the subject matter of the film and it's massive and complex action scenes perfectly.

-Erik-

I agree. I don´t see chaos in X Men 3. I see themes, bold and brassy orchestrations and an epic finale. Hancock is in another league. It has truly memorable moments (Death and Transfiguration and The Moon and the Superhero), but overall it is a minor effort compared to X3.

Agree, i consider Hancock as a WHOLE as a mediocre effort, personally. I'd rather listen to Bolt and STOP LOSS instead and certainly XMEN III over Hancock, although not a big fan of X-men III, i still consider it a far superior score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Well, I honestly believe that Powell was going for some sort of "controlled"chaos in his score to X-Men III which matched the subject matter of the film and it's massive and complex action scenes perfectly.

-Erik-

I agree. I don´t see chaos in X Men 3. I see themes, bold and brassy orchestrations and an epic finale. Hancock is in another league. It has truly memorable moments (Death and Transfiguration and The Moon and the Superhero), but overall it is a minor effort compared to X3.

Agree, i consider Hancock as a WHOLE as a mediocre effort, personally. I'd rather listen to Bolt and STOP LOSS instead and certainly XMEN III over Hancock, although not a big fan of X-men III, i still consider it a far superior score.

Actually I really like Bolt. What I thought it would be Powell´s own Madagascar 2 has become a fun, enjoyable score full of Powellisms. I think I´m watching the movie just for the pleasure of the non released score.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I too like it. Much MORE than Hancock. It's very entertaining and vibrant, the direct opposite to Hancock, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    I too like it. Much MORE than Hancock. It's very entertaining and vibrant, the direct opposite to Hancock, imo.

Well, I think Hancock is excellent. Sure, it's not an X-Men, Paycheck, United 93 or Chicken Run but it's really good especially the way Powell's developments the main Hancock theme from a slurry, fluttery, "drunk" sound to the heroic, spinetingling, power anthem version we hear at the end of the movie. Quiet a transformation.

For more on my take READ THIS!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Dig - Michael Land

One of the very best synth scores I've ever heard. Nothing to complicated, very dream like, easily listening... I cant really find a fault with it. Basically, it's chords after chords after chords... it almost reminds me of Organ music... and I absolutely adore it!

I'm now moving onto my first listen of Age Of Conan - Hyborian Adventures by Knut Avenstroup Haugen. <--- say that five times fast. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Hans Zimmer - Frost/Nixon

Good score and a kind of departure from the usual Zimmer style. Of course this low-key drama features some elements from his comedy and low-key drama scores. It is organic, though to me the most interesting aspect it really the minimalist character of the score, sometimes even subtly referring Philip Glass, though not too much. Good score and an interesting one for sure.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Frost/Nixon

Good score and a kind of departure from the usual Zimmer style. Of course this low-key drama features some elements from his comedy and low-key drama scores. It is organic, though to me the most interesting aspect it really the minimalist character of the score, sometimes even subtly referring Philip Glass, though not too much. Good score and an interesting one for sure.

That's great! Really looking forward to hear it! beer

NP: Black Hawk Down - Hans Zimmer

The beauty and power of Leave No Man Behind is beyond what I can express in words.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

That's great! Really looking forward to hear it! beer

The beauty and power of Leave No Man Behind is beyond what I can express in words.

I adore BHD; every note in it. I can understand why not everyone appreciates something as raw as this, but i personally love it. It has lots of bits and pieces from various musical styles i like (rock, middle-eastern music, the trademarked Zimmer dramatic string-led music, carefully crafted and meaningful wordless vocals) all successfully blended into what i consider a coherent, effective and influential mix.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'm also looking forward to seeing the film so I can see how it is like heard in the movie smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Blackhawk Down ? Or frost/nixon?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote

I have a few...

Are you going to Scarborough Fair
    Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme
    Remember me to one who lives there
    She once was a true love of mine

biggrin wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote

Both. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I have a few...

biggrin wink

-Erik-

Oh-ha-ha HOW ORIGINAL rolleyes slant tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I have a few...

biggrin wink

-Erik-

Hehe, interesting tongue wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Both. smile

BHD is an excellent cinematic experience imo; turn the volume up and the lights down and enjoy! Modern, slick and very intense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I have a few...

biggrin wink

-Erik-

Hehe tongue

Thank... you

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Both. smile

BHD is an excellent cinematic experience imo; turn the volume up and the lights down and enjoy! Modern, slick and very intense.

Interesting! Will definitely watch it after my exams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote

I love it. The cyclical cello motif and rhythmic patterns are current evolution of ideas developed from his previous work on Ring, As Good As It Gets, Weatherman and I'll Do Anything. The culminating score is at time organic and textural, hypnotic (yup, like Glass), and very intimate.
  2. It uses some Glass sensibilities like Warbeck's work for Proof. Zimmer has been a bit more minimalistic since I guess even King Arthur.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Windtalkers James Horner

I'm more than likely in the minority, but I'm rather fond of this score and its main theme. Always have been ever since it was released.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Largo Winch | Desplat

First listen. Very good so far. Apart from the third track. That was weird. But it most definitely sounds like Desplat with the lush string and piano writing.

One of the themes sounds like it could have easily come from Schifrin.

"Hong Kong Chase" is a seriously good heroic action piece (abeit a bit too short). Actually, I think that's the biggest problem with this score - just as something feels like it's going somewhere good, it ends - leaving this as a fairly decent score but not a great one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The first minute of 'Largo Winch' sounds like Horner's Perfect Storm with electronics!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Somebody is getting perfect storm then!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Say what now?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    It's like metallic percussion banging around my head already?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    No, there's no metallic percussion. In fact, there's barely any action music which I think it sorely needed.
  3. Steven wrote
    The first minute of 'Largo Winch' sounds like Horner's Perfect Storm with electronics!

Actually it reminds me of Arnold's Bond scores more.
  4. And I got addicted to Insanely Risky from Frost/Nixon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2008 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Steven wrote

Actually it reminds me of Arnold's Bond scores more.

Well yes, that's the most blaring similarity. But listen to it again, see if you can hear which part of The Perfect Storm I mean. It starts at 0:34 on the first track. (I'm not saying it's plagiarised, but it is similiar, and it's only for a short while.) smile