• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008
    Lair | John Debney

I've taken the tracks from the complete and rebuilt the official album in 320 opposed to iTunes quality. It's nice not having to choose between crisp audio or a good listening experience any more. Two and a half hours is a tad too long!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Anthony wrote
    Lair | John Debney

I've taken the tracks from the complete and rebuilt the official album in 320 opposed to iTunes quality. It's nice not having to choose between crisp audio or a good listening experience any more. Two and a half hours is a tad too long!

Forgive me for my ignorance here but has there or will there be a high quality audio release of this great score?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Atham wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Lair | John Debney

Forgive me for my ignorance here but has there or will there be a high quality audio release of this great score?

I somehow doubt it. Unless you do what I do and re-build the score CD from the complete rips.
  1. NP: The Man Who Cried (Various artists - including Osvaldo Golijov, as performed by Kronos Quartet)

Those who like Golijov's ripping concert piece 'Night of the Flying Horses' will enjoy this score - the four cues that make up the score basically were the source material for that concert piece. Golijov's writing is good enough to eat.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Lair | John Debney

I've taken the tracks from the complete and rebuilt the official album in 320 opposed to iTunes quality.

That really doesn't make any sense. You aren't getting better sounding files however your new files are considerable LARGER and are taking up MORE space on your hard drive.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2008
    Atham wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Lair | John Debney

There has only been a 5 track promo CD sent out which does sound better than the iTunes release.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Cocoon: The Return - James Horner

This one is pretty good. Too little of the wonderful theme, however.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    christopher wrote
    Cocoon: The Return - James Horner

I love that score, and I love the album! The wonderful Jazz pieces breaks up the heart-wrenching themes Horner created for the first film. (I'm sure the Jazz pieces are copies of more famous pieces though. Anyone like to elaborate?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Ponyo On The Cliff By The Sea - Joe Hisaishi

The melodies he writes never failed to touch my heart... genius! smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Atham wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Lair | John Debney

There has only been a 5 track promo CD sent out which does sound better than the iTunes release.

-Erik-

Actually that's not completely true. There is also a promo which is exactly the same as the iTunes release but with different tracks names. Somebody originally ripped this in 320 but they missed off a couple of tracks.

Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Lair | John Debney

I've taken the tracks from the complete and rebuilt the official album in 320 opposed to iTunes quality.

That really doesn't make any sense. You aren't getting better sounding files however your new files are considerable LARGER and are taking up MORE space on your hard drive.

-Erik-

Makes sense to me. 320 rips are better than iTunes, and I've saved disk space by deleting the complete that I never listened to. confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Today's playlist -

The Lion King (Hans Zimmer)
    PoTC: At World's End (Hans Zimmer)
    King Kong (JNH)
    Hook (John Williams)
    Howl's Moving Castle (Joe Hisaishi)
    Independence Day (David Arnold)
    Eastern Promises (Howard Shore)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Atham wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Lair | John Debney

-Erik-

Actually that's not completely true. There is also a promo which is exactly the same as the iTunes release but with different tracks names. Somebody originally ripped this in 320 but they missed off a couple of tracks.

Do you have a source for this information. Because from what I know, Debney's people were only sending out the 5 track promo.

What I do know is that there are only 3 versions. The 5 track promo, the iTunes release and the video game rip.

Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Lair | John Debney

-Erik-

Makes sense to me. 320 rips are better than iTunes, and I've saved disk space by deleting the complete that I never listened to. confused

What did you encode the 320k files from? The original CD or did you transcode from the iTunes release?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A Christmas Carol with music from Bernie!
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Alexander Nevsky Sergei Prokofiev

'Arise, People of Russia'. Enough said. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    In the Soviet Russia there is...................Steven! shocked
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

One of the all time greats.

NP: Young Bess - Miklos Rozsa

From the Elmer Bernstein Film Music Box Set. I've been dying to hear this score ever since I heard the suite on the Miklos Rozsa conducts His Great Film Music album. Lovely score brimming with Rozsa's trademark sound. And intimate yet inspiring score with a glorious finale up there with the best of the best. Rozsa definitely knew how to close out a score! Wonderful stuff!!!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

My favorite one is one track before, "Death To The Blasphemer (Peregrinus Expectavi)". shocked
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button Alexandre Desplat

I love this score, feels very appropriate for this time of the year.
  3. NP: The Incredible Hulk 2 CD by Craig Armonstrong

working my way through this mammoth piece, so far the only interesting track I've come acress is "Hulk Theme", which is after 21 tracks

Great confused
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: The Incredible Hulk 2 CD by Craig Armonstrong

working my way through this mammoth piece, so far the only interesting track I've come acress is "Hulk Theme", which is after 21 tracks

Great confused

I think the film would have benefited better with a John Powell score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Martijn wrote
    I thought the silence following my extremely droll hors d'oeuvres pun was uncharacteristically deafening... sad

Don't worry, I was there, saw it, despaired over it. Didn't get to catch up with that thread until just now. Now I wish I hadn't. suicide
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Erik Woods wrote

NP: The Thief of Bagdad - Miklos Rozsa

Not very familiar with this score. I'm listening to the Elmer Bernstein conducted version which is part of the Elmer Bernstein Box Set. Is it just me or does this particular performance sound lethargic and uninspired! There's no energy!

-Erik-

Woah, no energy?!??? We can't have heard the same score. Thief of Bagdad is my all-time favourite Rozsa score, and with contenders such as El Cid and Soddom and Gamorrah, that says something. But it must be as Martijin said: it must have to do with the Bernstein recording. I still have the expanded Soundtrack Library CDR boot, and that performances rocks the socks. I haven't heard Bernstein's take on it, nor the tracks he chose. Nothing flatters this score like an isolated presentation.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    HeeroJF wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Not very familiar with this score. I'm listening to the Elmer Bernstein conducted version which is part of the Elmer Bernstein Box Set. Is it just me or does this particular performance sound lethargic and uninspired! There's no energy!

-Erik-

Woah, no energy?!??? We can't have heard the same score.

Before you get all bent out of shape I wasn't criticizing the scores energy... which is wonderful... I was criticizing the energy of that particular performance.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Steven wrote
    Okay. Apart from CutThroat Island, Passion of the Christ, Sanitation and Lair, what have the Roma-- I mean what has Debney ever done for us??

The aqueduct?

No but seriously people: White Fang 2. Get it, love it. If you like Horner's Balto, you'll love WF2. There's Cutthroat Island, POTC and White Fang 2. All three stand on the ultimate Debney podium. And honorable mention to The Relic.

I think I agree with Erik in this way: POTC is gorgeous, but Cutthroat is fun. FUN! When I put on a CD, about 75% of the time I look for excitement and fun. That is why Cutthroat will always take the cake for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Erik Woods wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Woah, no energy?!??? We can't have heard the same score.

Before you get all bent out of shape I wasn't criticizing the scores energy... which is wonderful... I was criticizing the energy of that particular performance.

-Erik-

That is indeed what I assumed, as evidenced in:

HeeroJF wrote
    it must be as Martijin said: it must have to do with the Bernstein recording.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    christopher wrote
    Cocoon: The Return - James Horner

Hm, it's fine with me. Actually I find it outright perfect. The semi-thematic parts of this score are exactly what a dramatic score should be, to me. Perfectly balanced, interspersed with these rollicking moments of jazz, and a climactic ending. I couldn't ask for more. I like it much more than the original score.

NP: Reign of Fire, Edward Shearmur
    Mighty good but somewhat hook-less. Just finished playing it now.

NP: Milano Odia: La Polizia Non Puo Sparare, Ennio Morricone
    Groovy and very accessible suspense Morricone score. Kind of weirdly edited score: half of its runtime is withing its first 2 tracks, while the other 10 are all relatively short, but of course that doesn't hamper the enjoyment of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    HeeroJF wrote
    Steven wrote
    Okay. Apart from CutThroat Island, Passion of the Christ, Sanitation and Lair, what have the Roma-- I mean what has Debney ever done for us??

The aqueduct?

Well that goes without saying.
  4. Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: The Incredible Hulk 2 CD by Craig Armonstrong

Great confused

I think the film would have benefited better with a John Powell score.

that's something we'll never know, but it is just too long and not that interesting, half of the running time would have sufficed
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Search For Paradise - Dimitri Tiomkin

Mercy me! Wow! Great score, great songs and talk about finale's. The Epilogue is going into MY FAVORITES playlist right now! Wow! Wow! Wow! Another big shout out to FSM and Elmern Bernstein for introducing me to yet another fabulous Golden Age classic!

Now moving onto more Tiomkin with Land Of The Pharaohs and Gunfight At The O.K. Corral. Man, Tiomkin really knew how to write a dynamite song!!! The "Prelude" to Land Of The Pharaohs' is breathtaking! Simple yet beautiful and sets the tone for the rest of the score!

-Erik-
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

One of the all time greats.

NP: Young Bess - Miklos Rozsa

From the Elmer Bernstein Film Music Box Set. I've been dying to hear this score ever since I heard the suite on the Miklos Rozsa conducts His Great Film Music album. Lovely score brimming with Rozsa's trademark sound. And intimate yet inspiring score with a glorious finale up there with the best of the best. Rozsa definitely knew how to close out a score! Wonderful stuff!!!

-Erik-

Two great scores in consecutive posts! Yay!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am