• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2008
    Timmer wrote
    NP : JESUS OF NAZARETH - Maurice Jarre

One of my very favourite Jarre scores, I love it!

Couldn't agree more; that main theme is one of the most excellent film music themes ever written, imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2008 edited
    Before playing the score below I introduced myself to Debney's fine selections of The Stoning of Soraya M. Good lord, this better get a CD release. One of the finest I've heard this year. While some have made the comparisons to Passion - besides the cliched whiling female vocals on the opening track - the rest strolls down the Schindler's List road. I really like this score and want to hear more.

Now onto...

NP: Brideshead Revisited - Adrian Johnston

My first listen. A pleasant score. Gorgeous piano writing. Minimalism plays a significant role in this score but is far more melodic and lyrical then your typical minimalistic effort. Demetris is right... this is a better effort than Boleyn Girl but I still like that score for what it is. Both scores rely heavily on the colours displayed in their orchestrations. One might be more complex - for the lack of a better word - but I find they both do the same job equally well. There are wonderful harmonies to discover in Brideshead and warm orchestrations just ready to wash over you and take control of your emotions. It's delightful music. And the violin solo leading to lush strings in the track "Venice" is so far the highlight of the score. That's the type of cue that you won't find in Boleyn. But again, I don't want to compare the two. The two scores head in completely different emotional directions. If there was any comparison it might be to the work of Rachel Portman. I really like this album and more listens from now until the end of the year might catapult it onto my best of list.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Before playing the score below I introduced myself to Debney's fine selections of The Stoning of Soraya M. Good lord, this better get a CD release. One of the finest I've heard this year. While some have made the comparisons to Passion - besides the cliched whiling female vocals on the opening track - the rest strolls down the Schindler's List road. I really like this score and want to hear more.

Now onto...

NP: Brideshead Revisited - Adrian Johnston

My first listen. A pleasant score. Gorgeous piano writing. Minimalism plays a significant role in this score but is far more melodic and lyrical then your typical minimalistic effort. Demetris is right... this is a better effort than Boleyn Girl but I still like that score for what it is. Both scores rely heavily on the colours displayed in their orchestrations. One might be more complex - for the lack of a better word - but I find they both do the same job equally well. There are wonderful harmonies to discover in Brideshead and warm orchestrations just ready to wash over you and take control of your emotions. It's delightful music. And the violin solo leading to lush strings in the track "Venice" is so far the highlight of the score. That's the type of cue that you won't find in Boleyn. But again, I don't want to compare the two. The two scores head in completely different emotional directions. If there was any comparison it might be to the work of Rachel Portman. I really like this album and more listens from now until the end of the year might catapult it onto my best of list.

-Erik-

Glad you liked it Erik, i am sure you'll find that with the time and especially towards the later parts of the album, you'll absolutely love it; it contains some truly beautiful and elegant music.

As for the BOLEYN GIRL, after having watched the borefest that is the movie i acknowledge that what Cantelon came up with is far, far better than what it really deserved. Some dramatic moments towards the end along with the opening main theme piano rendition, really shine out through their emotional character and strong melodies; I only wish there were less period filler music and more of those.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Christodoulides wrote
    And THE THIN RED LINE-ish; in places.

This was in response to what? What is Thin Red Linnish?
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Couldn't agree more; that main theme is one of the most excellent film music themes ever written, imo.

smile beer

I've now gone on to my very favourite Jarre score...

NP : MAD MAX : BEYOND THUNDERDOME - Maurice Jarre

Brilliant thunderous score, man I would so love to see this get a deluxe release minus the awful 1980's Tina Turnip power ballads vomit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Before playing the score below I introduced myself to Debney's fine selections of The Stoning of Soraya M. Good lord, this better get a CD release. One of the finest I've heard this year.

They better release this one. It screams "release me!" in every second of the clips in Debney´s site.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

smile beer

Brilliant thunderous score, man I would so love to see this get a deluxe release minus the awful 1980's Tina Turnip power ballads vomit

haha, I'm with ya there!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    omaha wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

smile beer

haha, I'm with ya there!

beer

On the plus side it's easy enough to bypass turnip's songs.

NP : WALKABOUT - John Barry

One of my all time favourite scores, beautiful themes, melodic writing and choral wondrousness. IMO only a tiny handful of film composers can really write choral film music and Barry's right up there.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    All we want is life beyond the thunderdome.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Timmer wrote
    omaha wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

smile beer

haha, I'm with ya there!

beer

On the plus side it's easy enough to bypass turnip's songs.

NP : WALKABOUT - John Barry

One of my all time favourite scores, beautiful themes, melodic writing and choral wondrousness. IMO only a tiny handful of film composers can really write choral film music and Barry's right up there.

I was listening to that last week after seeing Australia.
    Amazing score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Gt beer cool
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    beer
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Any chance for photos? How did the cat adopt to you when you got it home during the first days? wave

Here is a link to the older cat that I adopted.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb15 … /abby4.jpg

The first day or two that I had her, she'd hide under furniture, but after that she was a total lap cat who would follow me from room to room. I had her for about 10 years, and she never scratched or bit anything.

Here's a pic of the cat I had now, who just showed up in the back yard, injured. He's friendly too, but he did go through a destructive stage where he chewed on the wood furniture in my house.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb15 … /deer3.jpg

And to stay on the Now Playing topic, I'm listening to Knights of the Round Table by Miklos Rozsa.
  1. October Sky - Mark Isham

Very nice theme for a pleasant album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Today's Playlist -

The Lion King (Hans Zimmer)
    The Last Samurai (Hans Zimmer)
    Chicken Run (HGW and John Powell)
    Dinosaur (JNH)
    Atlantis: The Lost Empire (JNH)
    Indy and the Temple of Doom expanded (John Williams)
    Mulan (Jerry Goldsmith)
    Hitman 2: Silent Assassin (Jesper Kyd)
    Black (Chris Tilton and Michael Giacchino)
    MOH: Airborne (Michael Giacchino)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Katiek wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Any chance for photos? How did the cat adopt to you when you got it home during the first days? wave

The first day or two that I had her, she'd hide under furniture, but after that she was a total lap cat who would follow me from room to room. I had her for about 10 years, and she never scratched or bit anything.

Here's a pic of the cat I had now, who just showed up in the back yard, injured. He's friendly too, but he did go through a destructive stage where he chewed on the wood furniture in my house.

And to stay on the Now Playing topic, I'm listening to Knights of the Round Table by Miklos Rozsa.

Thanks! What about eating and toilet habbits? All normal? Were they pre-trained to go in the special cat poo-sand or where they pooping all over the place at first? wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JOHN DEBNEY - Passion of the Christ

By far the most outstanding work Debney has ever produced. Together with the PASSION OF THE CHRIST symphony, these 2 works are way beyond the usual standards of quality for modern film music. Two spectacular, excellently-built and performed works of pure emotion. Sad thing is that day by day Debney proves that he most possibly won't ever be able to surpass himself in these 2. As long as they exist though, who cares wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Water (Dann)

I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote

By far the most outstanding work Debney has ever produced. Together with the PASSION OF THE CHRIST symphony, these 2 works are way beyond the usual standards of quality for modern film music. Two spectacular, excellently-built and performed works of pure emotion. Sad thing is that day by day Debney proves that he most possibly won't ever be able to surpass himself in these 2. As long as they exist though, who cares wink

I agree, although I´d add some other works by him to the list (Cutthroat Island, Lair or Dragonfly).
    What I really can´t wait is his new wcore, Soraya M. It looks like an extension of his work for The Passion. I don´t usually like listening to clips, but I´ve made an exception in this case and I´ve listened the clips of Debney´s site dozen of times. Please release, please release.....
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Katiek wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Loved the pics Katiek cool

I have a great pic of my cat Gomez and a fox staring at each other but unfortunately have no way of posting it here. slant

NP : nothing
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn

Excellent! applause
    And wow, Abby was a BEAUTY!

Timmer wrote

I have a great pic of my cat Gomez and a fox staring at each other

Who won the staredown?

but unfortunately have no way of posting it here. slant

double slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

Excellent! applause

Timmer wrote

Who won the staredown?

double slant

Gomez won the staredown but it probably helped that I was nearby with my camera wink Foxes and cats seem to get along fine.

NP : FAREWELL TO THE KING - Basil Poledouris

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: The Last Samurai ~ Hans Zimmer

The use of the oriental element is so wonderful and soothing!Just beautiful! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Stavroula wrote
    NP: The Last Samurai ~ Hans Zimmer

The use of the oriental element is so wonderful and soothing!Just beautiful! smile

I think it's one of the most coherent and finest Zimmer scores.

But I find the action stuff, Algren's theme (wich is a bad copy of "earth" from Gladiator) and this looooooooong notes annoying.

I love "A Way of Life ", "To Know My Enemy" and "Idyll's End"

NP:Medal of Honor (Giacchino)

One of the most rich and entertainings scores ever composeds!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

Excellent! applause

Timmer wrote

Who won the staredown?

double slant

Gomez won the staredown but it probably helped that I was nearby with my camera wink Foxes and cats seem to get along fine.

NP : FAREWELL TO THE KING - Basil Poledouris

cool

Aye, a Basil gem!
    Excellent theme!

I can't find the movie anywhere though. Is it good?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Couldn't you have just quoted Timmer?

rolleyes

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thanks! What about eating and toilet habbits? All normal? Were they pre-trained to go in the special cat poo-sand or where they pooping all over the place at first? wave

Both cats used their litterbox from the start and never had a problem. I don't know if the outdoor stray was ever an indoor cat, or he just knew naturally to use a litterbox (so did my first cat which also was a stray that I rescued). Cats generally are very clean and will use a box if one is available and kept clean.

Both also were fine with regular catfood. Of course the outdoor kitty was starving when he came in, so he'd eat anything!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I agree, although I´d add some other works by him to the list (Cutthroat Island, Lair or Dragonfly).
    What I really can´t wait is his new wcore, Soraya M. It looks like an extension of his work for The Passion. I don´t usually like listening to clips, but I´ve made an exception in this case and I´ve listened the clips of Debney´s site dozen of times. Please release, please release.....

It's pretty good; but will it be released ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Katiek wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Both cats used their litterbox from the start and never had a problem. I don't know if the outdoor stray was ever an indoor cat, or he just knew naturally to use a litterbox (so did my first cat which also was a stray that I rescued). Cats generally are very clean and will use a box if one is available and kept clean.

Both also were fine with regular catfood. Of course the outdoor kitty was starving when he came in, so he'd eat anything!

Thanks; that's pretty valuable info for me, i'll let you know what my decision will be! wave