• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Red Cliff (Taro Iwashiro)

A colleague is playing it on her computer at work... I must say, it's sounding pretty boring and familiar. Nothing we haven't heard before.

This score does sound monotonous on album. But in the movie, it kicks serious buttocks. The dynamic action, the sweeping visuals were all rightly complimented by Iwashiro's score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP : Exo Squad - Michael Tavera

Quite interesting. I loved this show. It was the main reason why I would wake up so early in the morning, watch it on TV before having to get ready to go to school. It was the best American anime show that got canceled for no dammed reason. The music is highly thematic, very melodic and dramatic at time. The main Exo Squad/action theme is extremely catchy and has certain Danny Elfman/David Arnold amalgamation to its construction, sprinkled with a bit of Gustav Holst's Mars rhythm. The underscore does the best in spite of its low budget nature, meaning synths everywhere. It is very well orchestrated, with real live instruments helping to counter that hollow sound.
  1. Marc Streitenfeld - Body of Lies

Not a bad score. It works well in the film and the emphasis of rhythm does it well. Middle Eastern sound is done really nice. It may be a bit cliche at times, but it is very respectful of the culture, which is something that can be also said of Scott's film.

It may take a while to appreciate it. I think Streitenfeld wrote an intelligent score and intelligence is perhaps the only thing I can say about this composer. I also liked his score to American Gangster and the Frank Lucas track in particular. This is music to appreciate rather than enjoy and I actually do appreciate it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I like it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Scorpio from Fielding
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    WP: Sleuth - Patrick Doyle

I like the mood it creates. It was good background music while I wrote part of an essay.

NP: Nausicaa Valley of the Wind - Joe Hisaishi

It is also really good music, but unfortunately, it can't keep me focused on the essay.
  2. Martijn wrote
    I dunno.
    Michael asked for a further explanation and I provided it. smile

I didn't mean purely in the temporal sense. (I'm not thaaaaat anal!)
    It seems to me that CCBB features many ideas that I've not heard in his music before, along with a number of ideas that I have. I count the former as 'new'.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    KLAUS BADELT - Ned Kelly

Oh this is good. A case where (along with the equally beautiful and sadly overlooked INVINCIBLE with Hans Zimmer) Klaus tried to create his own THE THIN RED LINE, and on his own frame he did pretty well actually. Long string-led melodies and heavily emotional, NED KELLY is a thoroughly enjoyable score from start to finish with notable thematic material. One of his career's highlights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Shawshank Redemption - Thomas Newman

Gorgeous! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    EDWARD SHEARMUR - passengers

This could have been easily written by Thomas Newman and nobody would know. Shearmur is capable of SO much more and with this score couple with last year's "Dedication" he seems in a rather uninspired phase.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    EDWARD SHEARMUR - passengers

This could have been easily written by Thomas Newman and nobody would know. Shearmur is capable of SO much more and with this score couple with last year's "Dedication" he seems in a rather uninspired phase.

Yup. When will we get the next Sky Captain or Count Of Monte Cristo? sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am not sure we're going to get it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    .....or REIGN OF FIRE. Such a brilliant effort.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2008 edited
    EDWARD SHEARMUR - skeleton key

I haven't listened to that for so long. It's so fun to revisit an old favorite though; the creepy horror music parts like the ones heard in "Ben escapes" and "saving Ben" are very captivating and aggressive, at times even reminding of REIGN OF FIRE's supremely dark atmosphere. When you exclude the conventional electric guitar on overdrive americana parts a la BEAR MaCREARY's REST STOP scores and just concentrate on the afore-mentioned intense cues instead, it makes for a very satisfying listen for the fans of the genre.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Bolt - John Powell

My first listen. Sounds pretty good! I especially liked the tracks Bolt Transforms, Scooter Chase, A Fast Train, Where Were You On St. Rhino's Day and all of the last 5-6 tracks. The piano-driven cues are gorgeous and action music is superb, IMO. Some tracks have a bit too much synth than I'd have liked, but it's ok. But I'm not happy with the presentation of the score on the album, and the editing is also quite bad in places (the ending of Bolt Transforms is cut off and does not continue into the next track!! crazy ).

I hope it gets one of those legendary healthy n' lengthy Disney academy promos and we manage to get it and enjoy more of this! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    Martijn wrote
    I dunno.
    Michael asked for a further explanation and I provided it. smile

I didn't mean purely in the temporal sense. (I'm not thaaaaat anal!)

Yes.
    You are.
    tongue

It seems to me that CCBB features many ideas that I've not heard in his music before, along with a number of ideas that I have. I count the former as 'new'.

Well, fair enough, but Jordi's criticism centered on the fact that it sounded a lot like Thomas Newman (several scores these days seem to get that particular comment leveled against them), which would suggest that while it may be something that's new to Desplat to use, it's not new in the genre (and may in fact be considered derivative).

For all clarity: I haven't listened to the score, and probably won't as Desplat is not very high on my list (though I did enjoy Golden Compass), so I don't care one way or the other.
    My main issue was how Jordi criticism of the score ("sounds like Newman") was interpreted through Ego's monologue ("we should endorse the bold and the new"), which didn't seem to match in my opinion.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sounded like newman? The curious case of Benjamin Button? Are we talking about the same score here? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Martijn wrote
    For all clarity: I haven't listened to the score
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    If that is what Jordi said then his entire argument is invalid, imo wink Most possibly he skipped through some tracks in rush, once.

It would have made for such a more meaningful conversation if you had listened to the actual score yourself my friend M smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    If that is what Jordi said then his entire argument is invalid, imo wink

Well, THAT is quite possible! smile

But that's not the point.
    My whole argument basically concerned the OPINIONS on the score, NOT the score PROPER.
    It's a whole meta-discussion, which doesn't require anyone to listen to the score, UNLESS a counter claim would be that the score is -in some way- ground breaking (in which case Steven's reference to Ego's monologue could be germane, something that -as I argued- I don't think it is at this point).

I have no opinion on the score itself at all, as I haven't heard it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    It would have made for such a more meaningful conversation if you had listened to the actual score yourself my friend M smile

biggrin Cool! Now we're moving into a meta-metadiscussion!
    Not talking about the score, but about interpretations of opinions on the score, which interpretations could be enhanced by actually listening to the score!
    Oh, the levels of abstraction!
    punk

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    CARTER BURWELL - twilight

Pretty standard americana-driven thriller score ranging from Paul Haslinger's conventional tricks and Bear McCreary (REST STOP) regions with the occasional, rare melodic break, usually driven by piano and lurking into emotional territories. It's somewhat disappointing and definitely far inferior to the standard Burwell ride, especially after the excellent recent examples of IN BRUGES and BURN AFTER READING. But i wouldn't expect anyone to be particularly inspired by that pile of doo-doo (the movie, the story, the hype).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    KLAUS BADELT - Ned Kelly

Oh this is good. A case where (along with the equally beautiful and sadly overlooked INVINCIBLE with Hans Zimmer) Klaus tried to create his own THE THIN RED LINE, and on his own frame he did pretty well actually. Long string-led melodies and heavily emotional, NED KELLY is a thoroughly enjoyable score from start to finish with notable thematic material. One of his career's highlights.

Very enjoyable score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THUNDERBALL - John Barry

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: World Trade Center - Craig Armstrong

Beautiful album. Felt like playing this in the light of several people killed in the recent horrible terrorist attack in Mumbai here shame
  3. Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb (Videogame) (Clint Bajakian - themes by John Williams)

I love this for the big action cues, even if it's sometimes a cut and paste job when you play it in complete form. I made my own customised soundtrack that features all the big orchestral outbursts from the game and it's all big fun... The Kraken's Lair, Gondola Ride, The Feng Twins, Von Beck's Revenge, Rise of the Black Emperor, all great when you hear it in the game, and even better outside of it. Bajakian sure has a knack for composing huge action music for orchestra. Shame he doesn't get so much opportunities.

4 STARS
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DemonStar wrote

Beautiful album. Felt like playing this in the light of several people killed in the recent horrible terrorist attack in Mumbai here shame

Yeah. Deeply disturbing event, that's got my rapt attention...as you have my sincerest sympathy for this horrible national tragedy, Ravi. The aftermath, I fear, may rock the world. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    KLAUS BADELT - Ned Kelly

Very enjoyable score.

Indeed. One of his finest works. Sadly he is totally uninspired lately (Scorpion King 2, Starship Troopers 3....come on Klaus).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Martijn wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Yeah. Deeply disturbing event, that's got my rapt attention...as you have my sincerest sympathy for this horrible national tragedy, Ravi. The aftermath, I fear, may rock the world. sad

Really shame

NP: Dinotopia - Trevor Jones

Final album, before going to bed.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    DreamTheater wrote
    Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb (Videogame) (Clint Bajakian - themes by John Williams)

I love this for the big action cues, even if it's sometimes a cut and paste job when you play it in complete form. I made my own customised soundtrack that features all the big orchestral outbursts from the game and it's all big fun... The Kraken's Lair, Gondola Ride, The Feng Twins, Von Beck's Revenge, Rise of the Black Emperor, all great when you hear it in the game, and even better outside of it. Bajakian sure has a knack for composing huge action music for orchestra. Shame he doesn't get so much opportunities.

4 STARS

Indeed! Real fun score.

Have you heard Lennertz (spelling) From Russia With Love Score?
    Amazing