• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2008
    DemonStar wrote
    Playlist for today-

The Lion King
    LoTR: Return of The King
    PoTC: At World's End
    King Kong
    Kung Fu Panda
    Happy Feet
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    Atlantis: The Lost Empire

There isn't a single score from that list that I don't like a lot. Good selection!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Vintage Cinema - Erich Kunzel & Cincinnati Pops Orchestra

This newbie by Erich Kunzel is a mixed bag.
    I quite like some of the arrangements of the suites on this album.
    Especially King Kong, Robin Hood etc.
    But the sound? Hmmm. Low volume, muddy, pulled back mix! What gives?
    Anyone else find this, or am I just going deaf? Erik?
    It's just not like his classic score albums from the 80's & 90s! confused
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    During my long, dark trip home I listened to:

Lethal Weapon 4 (the definate bootleg version with Roger yelling "Rigg's" throughout.)
    MI:3
    MOH Frontline
    MOH
    and some U2 smile

it all made the trip go faster
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Panthera wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Playlist for today-

The Lion King
    LoTR: Return of The King
    PoTC: At World's End
    King Kong
    Kung Fu Panda
    Happy Feet
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    Atlantis: The Lost Empire

There isn't a single score from that list that I don't like a lot. Good selection!

beer
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Mission Impossible | Danny Elfman

As much as I love Giacchino's work, I still firmly believe this is the best MI movie score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Joe Versus the Volcano - Georges Delerue

Magical.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2008 edited
    I have to write some depressing stuff today. Which means I can blindly put some JNH in.

NP: Defiance - James Newton Howard

Amazing how shyamalany this is. Love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Empire of the Sun - John Williams

Never listen to this (well, except now, obviously). Don't know why - it's great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The curious case of Benjamin Button (Desplat)

There are 2 types of Desplat scores : the ones I find fascinating : Birth, Lust caution or Painted Veil. and the ones I find really Boring : The Luzhin Conference, syriana, The girld with...., Hostage.
    (The Golden Compass is in the middle)

The curios case of benjamin Button is the second type. The most annoying thing is it sometimes sounds like Thomas Newman or even Danny Elfman. The main theme lacks of the dramatic power this history needs , IMHO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    rolleyes

"In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego (Peter O'Toole)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Np: Happy Feet - John Powell

You would NEVER think of this being such an epic score by looking at the front cover of the album. The opening cue - "The Huddle" - is easily one of the greatest choral cues ever composed! This score is John Powell at his absolute finest.

-Erik-

Best Powell score for an animated movie by far; and one of Powell's top works in general.

Cezary Skubiszewski - Night

Very, very interesting and particularly original.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Np: Happy Feet - John Powell

You would NEVER think of this being such an epic score by looking at the front cover of the album. The opening cue - "The Huddle" - is easily one of the greatest choral cues ever composed! This score is John Powell at his absolute finest.

-Erik-

Best Powell score for an animated movie by far; and one of Powell's top works in general.

It probably is his best. Though it's not my favourite - Chicken Run still holds that place. Horton is a close second. Love that score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    rolleyes

"In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego (Peter O'Toole)

Except Desplat is nor a new talent, nor has created something new.
    And the onus of creation is not on the critic, but on the creator (duh): it's the creator who proudly presents his work. To be surprised or even slighted at the hint of a negative opinion seems naive bordering on ludicrous. The worst kind of shrug-off is the "well, see if YOU can do better" one. The fact that I cannot create does not invalidate my criticism or my opinion, PROVIDED it's honest, balanced and reasoned.

I understand a certain exasperation at some point with a focus on the negative, but even then it's just an opinion. And here I see no dwelling on the negative, just for gloating's sake. It's just an opinion. And one that's reasoned as well (whether one agrees or not is another consideration).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes yes yes, I know. But it's just something to think about? Jordi always finds something negative. It's that attitude I neither understand or like, and that's what annoys me.

Sorry, but I cannot stand it. Especially in real life.

Anyway, a certain black and white fur ball is pleading for his food. I'm giving him Whiskers just to make sure I don't receive any negative feedback. Cats know the difference.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I have to write some depressing stuff today. Which means I can blindly put some JNH in.

NP: Defiance - James Newton Howard

Amazing how shyamalany this is. Love it.

That and BENJAMIN BUTTON have been my 2 most beloved scores this year so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    They've certainly been some of the most recent. wink

I would need to be reminded of all the scores from this year before I made such a claim. Defiance and Button are certainly at the top end of the list, particularly Defiance. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes yes yes, I know. But it's just something to think about? Jordi always finds something negative. It's that attitude I neither understand or like, and that's what annoys me.

An unfair assessment, I think: there are many posts where Jordi goes on for paragraph after paragraph filled with the most gushing praise.
    I think it's far more an issue of you guys not seeing eye to eye, preference-wise, than either party being negative per se.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Anyway, a certain black and white fur ball is pleading for his food. I'm giving him Whiskers just to make sure I don't receive any negative feedback. Cats know the difference.

I am SO glad you're starting to see the superiority in everything cat-esque! I too have fallen in love with a beautiful little female persian 4-months old cat at a nearby pet shop but she costs 300 euros which i don't currently have in extra availability! I pass by the store and see her every day and hoping nobody will take her from me 'till i collect the extra money! Good thing is that Greeks are dog-loving mostly (i hope not literally anyway) and i have high hopes that nobody will sweet-eye MY lolcat. Hear that? SHE'S MINE!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

An unfair assessment, I think: there are many posts where Jordi goes on for paragraph after paragraph filled with the most gushing praise.
    I think it's far more an issue of you guys not seeing eye to eye, preference-wise, than either party being negative per se.

I don't think so. It's the way he picks apart a score that I dislike, his (and others') unfair assessments of new scores.

I may have a somewhat cold attitude at times, but when it comes to music -scores and classical music in particular- then I tend to be the complete opposite. That's part of the reason why music is so important to me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

I am SO glad you're starting to see the superiority in everything cat-esque! I too have fallen in love with a beautiful little female persian 4-months old cat at a nearby pet shop but she costs 300 euros which i don't currently have in extra availability! I pass by the store and see her every day and hoping nobody will take her from me 'till i collect the extra money! Good thing is that Greeks are dog-loving mostly (i hope not literally anyway) and i have high hopes that nobody will sweet-eye MY lolcat. Hear that? SHE'S MINE!

Link doesn't work! sad

Ehm, D., you know Persians are a genetically damaged race, bred to look like they do (with the withdrawn beak) for aesthetics' sake? It seriously hampers their eating capacity, and older Persians tend to develop jawbone tumors very easily do to this genetic weakness. They also tend not to grow old.
    I would opt for an adoptive kitten from an animal shelter at any time, but even if I were to actually purchase a cat, it wouldn't be a Persian.

Just some background info you may (or may not) be aware of.
    If you still want to go ahead with the adoption, that's brilliant of course, and I am positive you'll be an excellent carer, and that she will have a very happy cat life but ...well, you know... I did want to just make the point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Link doesn't work! sad

Try this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

I don't think so. It's the way he picks apart a score that I dislike, his (and others') unfair assessments of new scores.

But isn't that what I mean?
    How can an opinion (especially one that is actually supported by reasons) be unfair?
    He doesn't like it as it reminds him of (insert score X).
    You DO like it.
    Michael (or was it D.?) likes it, but thinks it's rather clinically recorded.

All valid opinions as far as I'm concerned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Link doesn't work! sad

Try this one.

biggrin

First out-loud laugh of the day.
    Thanks, Steven.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Link doesn't work! sad

Ehm, D., you know Persians are a genetically damaged race, bred to look like they do (with the withdrawn beak) for aesthetics' sake? It seriously hampers their eating capacity, and older Persians tend to develop jawbone tumors very easily do to this genetic weakness. They also tend not to grow old.
    I would opt for an adoptive kitten from an animal shelter at any time, but even if I were to actually purchase a cat, it wouldn't be a Persian.

Just some background info you may (or may not) be aware of.
    If you still want to go ahead with the adoption, that's brilliant of course, and I am positive you'll be an excellent carer, and that she will have a very happy cat life but ...well, you know... I did want to just make the point.

Didn't know that! The reason i want a cat from a pet store and especially a PErsian, is because i heard that they are used to live inside (i live in a flat) and are generally very quiet.

Here's the link. Still doesn't work? Works for me.
    http://lh6.ggpht.com/_LlfXWxcpJyU/R_ERh … sian-6.jpg
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

They do, and just wait till he finds out you've given him a cheap immitation of Whiskas shocked wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    YEAH! What is it with cats and all the WHISKAS mania? My family's 3 cats systematically refuse to eat anything else other than Whiskas!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote

Cezary Skubiszewski - Night

Very, very interesting and particularly original.

I don't think i've heard something else as genuine as this one here this year. Very impressed. Is he Polish btw? "Dreams" sounds very Preisner-y.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote

Didn't know that! The reason i want a cat from a pet store and especially a PErsian, is because i heard that they are used to live inside (i live in a flat) and are generally very quiet.

Link works now. smile
    Both counts are (generally) true, and these are good considerations in your personal circumstances.
    Just one final suggestion you may want to consider: if these are your main concerns, you could think about adopting an older cat. Often cats in animal shelters aren't used to going outside, and age will make sure the cat already calmed down somewhat.

I've had excellent experiences with adopting 6-8 year old cats.
    A female is always a good suggestion: they tend -again: generally- to be more quiet and less hassle than males.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    YEAH! What is it with cats and all the WHISKAS mania? My family's 3 cats systematically refuse to eat anything else other than Whiskas!

It's TRUE!
    I've tried it once...my cat didn't just not eat it: she approached it and actually backed out as if confronted with an adversary or something dangerous! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Link works now. smile
    Both counts are (generally) true, and these are good considerations in your personal circumstances.
    Just one final suggestion you may want to consider: if these are your main concerns, you could think about adopting an older cat. Often cats in animal shelters aren't used to going outside, and age will make sure the cat already calmed down somewhat.

I've had excellent experiences with adopting 6-8 year old cats.
    A female is always a good suggestion: they tend -again: generally- to be more quiet and less hassle than males.

Good suggestions my friend, i will look them up 'cause i don't want a kitteh that will run around ruining my flat and equipment. But i badly WANT a quiet one wink