• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    rolleyes

"In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego (Peter O'Toole)

Except Desplat is nor a new talent, nor has created something new.
    And the onus of creation is not on the critic, but on the creator (duh): it's the creator who proudly presents his work. To be surprised or even slighted at the hint of a negative opinion seems naive bordering on ludicrous. The worst kind of shrug-off is the "well, see if YOU can do better" one. The fact that I cannot create does not invalidate my criticism or my opinion, PROVIDED it's honest, balanced and reasoned.

I understand a certain exasperation at some point with a focus on the negative, but even then it's just an opinion. And here I see no dwelling on the negative, just for gloating's sake. It's just an opinion. And one that's reasoned as well (whether one agrees or not is another consideration).

If i got paid the ridiculously high amounts of money they get to write music for films, you can be sure i'd easily take hordes of criticism. wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You, the proud Greek? Sure, sure. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Touché, D. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2008 edited
    Just a reminder that the proud Greeks are more inclined to the Green thingies than many other nations wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    STEVE JABLONSKY - Gears of War 2

You know what to get with Jablonsky every time. That is pure, unashamed fun. And i love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Scorpio for my review. Fielding had an interesting life.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Just a reminder that the proud Greeks are more inclined to the Green thingies than many other nations wink

I know! I've been to a Greek wedding!! shocked cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    rolleyes

"In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego (Peter O'Toole)

Do you know that all off by heart or did you copy that from somewhere? beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    What kind of score is Defiance???? Ethnic? dramatic? action packed???

I just realised is a Zwick movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    rolleyes

Do you know that all off by heart or did you copy that from somewhere? beer

IMDB. smile (It has its uses at times. wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: John Williams Conducts John Williams: The Star Wars Trilogy - John Williams

Good compilation of Williams tunes.
  1. Nautilus wrote

Very dramatic, a bit of suspense and little action, though very dramatic too.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Though I'm sure Jordi will find it too dramatic with not enough suspense and action.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Michael Nyman - Irene & the Morrow
    from Gattaca
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Nautilus wrote

JNH's own Schindler's list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008 edited
    NP: The Incredibles - Michael Giacchino

After seeing Bolt today in theaters, I'm in the mood for some superhero music. I suppose this will have to do until I buy the Bolt soundtrack (slant tongue), which BtW is awesome. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008
    William wrote
    NP: The Incredibles - Michael Giacchino

After seeing Bolt today in theaters, I'm in the mood for some superhero music. I suppose this will have to do until I buy the Bolt soundtrack (slant tongue), which BtW is awesome. cheesy

Yeah, I downloaded it. That's one album I'm not buying, it sucks. Nice score though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    ... it sucks...

Really? sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    William wrote
    Steven wrote
    ... it sucks...

Really? sad

The album does a bit, yup. It's still worth getting if you loved the score in the movie, it's still fantastic music. Unfortunately it's the presentation that's lacking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    William wrote
    Steven wrote
    ... it sucks...

Really? sad

The album does a bit, yup. It's still worth getting if you loved the score in the movie, it's still fantastic music. Unfortunately it's the presentation that's lacking.

Oh... Well I've been looking forward to it, and Christmas is coming up (which means a heck of a lot of iTunes gift cards), so I'll still probably get it. But thanks for the tip. wink From what I've heard in sound clips, Bolt Transforms alone is worth getting the entire soundtrack for!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    William wrote
    From what I've heard in sound clips, Bolt Transforms alone is worth getting the entire soundtrack for!

Overstatement of the year. wink
  2. Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    rolleyes

Except Desplat is nor a new talent, nor has created something new.

You lost me here on the creation of something new. How is it not new? (For it is not old.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Anthony wrote
    William wrote
    From what I've heard in sound clips, Bolt Transforms alone is worth getting the entire soundtrack for!

Overstatement of the year. wink

Really? smile Well I think it's worth getting the soundtrack for, in my personal opinion. I'm not saying it's necessarily worth it for all you guys to buy it, just for me. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    You lost me here on the creation of something new. How is it not new? (For it is not old.)

Obviously it's new in a purely temporal sense, but not new in the sense the quoted Ego refers to, which is an original concept, a brave experimental idea or a hitherto unheard or unseen way ofv working.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Who really does that anymore?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I dunno.
    Michael asked for a further explanation and I provided it. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Is there a meaning to life? Does time heal all wounds? What exactly are burps?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And farts?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Well, burps is a measure for certain language behaviour against time:

"barely understood rantings per second".

Didn´t you know?

And farts are "frequently applied random toxic sedatives".

There you go.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    NP: Tropic Thunder- Theodore Shapiro

It's a good action score. I still like it.