• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Yes, I noticed a similarity to the "big wave struggle" texture at beginning of e.g. Small Victories
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Dig - Michael Land

One of the very best synth scores I've ever heard. Nothing to complicated, very dream like, easily listening... I cant really find a fault with it. Basically, it's chords after chords after chords... it almost reminds me of Organ music... and I absolutely adore it!

-Erik-

Finally Someone else consider this score like it derserves! a really capturing and absorving one!

One of my favourite "experience" scores. And the videogame is one of my all time favourites too...

NP:Evolution (Powell)

I love the mix of dark with comical.

"meteor" or "cave's waltz" are pretty interesting.

The real Powell beggan with this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2008 edited
    NP:Frost /Nixon (Zimmer)

After my surprise...I relistened this score 4 or 5 times more...

The first track is really, really good. I love the motif, and the orchestrations. It's very close to the Ring (score wich ron Howard loves). I find pretty cool when brass, xylophone and piano are played together.

Sadly after this first track the score becomes dangeriously too close to Powell percusion work for the Bourne scores. And this is the second time this year Zimmer tries to be powellish...the other one was Madagascar 2.

I'm sure Zimmer can be more original than what he is in Frost/ nixon ( specially annoying are this kind of taikos sampleds from The curse of the black Pearl and King Arthur )

Anyway, a *** score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: "End Credit" from Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey - Bruce Broughton

I love this fantastic main theme so much. cry
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Peter Pan - James Newton Howard

Gorgeous themes! cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: christmas_treeThe Closing of the Yearchristmas_tree from Toys - Hans Zimmer & Trevor Horn

A bit early, but it is a fantastic song at any time. christmas_reindeer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Chicken Little (promo) - John Debney

Nothing special but IMO a very fun score. biggrin

I've heard only official tracks, but it's boring for me... I also thought the score is not good in the movie. It makes sappy scenes sappier...

But the songs are more horrible imo (except Barenaked Ladies' one, not bad in the movie). Those songs make a bad movie even worse. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Chicken Little (promo) - John Debney

Nothing special but IMO a very fun score. biggrin

I've heard only official tracks, but it's boring for me... I also thought the score is not good in the movie. It makes sappy scenes sappier...

But the songs are more horrible imo (except Barenaked Ladies' one, not bad in the movie). Those songs make a bad movie even worse. rolleyes

The songs were horrible, yeah! Though nothing stood out, I quite enjoyed the score though.

Playlist of the day-

The Lion King (Hans Zimmer)
    The Last Samurai (Hans Zimmer)
    The Da Vinci Code (Hans Zimmer)
    Dinosaur (JNH)
    Hook (John Williams)
    First Knight (Jerry Goldsmith)
    LoTR: The Return of The King complete (Howard Shore)
    Happy Feet (John Powell)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Steven wrote
    The first minute of 'Largo Winch' sounds like Horner's Perfect Storm with electronics!

Actually it reminds me of Arnold's Bond scores more.

Well yes, that's the most blaring similarity. But listen to it again, see if you can hear which part of The Perfect Storm I mean. It starts at 0:34 on the first track. (I'm not saying it's plagiarised, but it is similiar, and it's only for a short while.) smile

Does anyone else feel that this score is full of great ideas, but nothing is developed? Just as a cue gets going it ends. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: "Homeland" & "Run Free" from Spirit: Stallion Of The Cimarron - Hans Zimmer

Two of most frequently played tracks in my entire library. Energetic and fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Frost/Nixon

Good score and a kind of departure from the usual Zimmer style. Of course this low-key drama features some elements from his comedy and low-key drama scores. It is organic, though to me the most interesting aspect it really the minimalist character of the score, sometimes even subtly referring Philip Glass, though not too much. Good score and an interesting one for sure.

I love it. The cyclical cello motif and rhythmic patterns are current evolution of ideas developed from his previous work on Ring, As Good As It Gets, Weatherman and I'll Do Anything. The culminating score is at time organic and textural, hypnotic (yup, like Glass), and very intimate.

Ah indeed; i wondered where i heard the cello ideas before and they're certainly inspired from RING (a fabulous work btw), only shifted and moved on a different level. Low key and intimate, Frost/Nixon is certainly a very interesting work.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Largo Winch | Desplat

"Hong Kong Chase" is a seriously good heroic action piece (abeit a bit too short). Actually, I think that's the biggest problem with this score - just as something feels like it's going somewhere good, it ends - leaving this as a fairly decent score but not a great one.

Apparently he hangs out too much with Thomas Newman lately biggrin
  2. Jordi, Frost/Nixon has NOTHING to do with Powell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Jordi, Frost/Nixon has NOTHING to do with Powell.

Yes,it has.

The first track is very influenced by The Ring (a fabolous score, imho). BUt some short tracks contains percusive elements and textures from Bourne scores.

There is a motif wich make me crazy because Im not sure where I heard it before.. maybe a sub motif from As good as it gets??? dizzy
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'll be the judge of this!

*puts on F/N*
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I did notice some Bourne-esque string motifs on my first (and so far, only) listen. Powell certainly didn't invent that musical device (whatever it's called?), but he's sure made it popular. Was Zimmer influenced by him? I think it's more than possible - I'll have to give it my full attention on my next listen though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I think it was the other way around.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    I did notice some Bourne-esque string motifs on my first (and so far, only) listen. Powell certainly didn't invent that musical device (whatever it's called?), but he's sure made it popular. Was Zimmer influenced by him? I think it's more than possible - I'll have to give it my full attention on my next listen though.

It reminds me a bit of Bourne, but as you said, Powell didn't invent that style of writing. F/N sounds a lot more like Powell than Zimmer to me, and will probably be a lot more enjoyable imo than Zimmer's louder works. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    I think it was the other way around.

Of course. But Zimmer is a huge admirer of Powell, and Powell has a very unique sound. Zimmer was bound to be influenced by him one day. The tables have turned, so to speak.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Little Women Thomas Newman

A Newman score with wonderful themes is no rare thing. A Newman score without boring 'underscore' cues is. One of my favourite Newman albums, and a personal Christmasy favourite. cool

I want to hear THIS Newman again!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Time Of The Wolf - John Scott

I join with many people on this forum in regretting Scott never having gotten more high-profile film work to score. What a wonderful sense of symphony and lyricism this man displays!
    The only reason I can think of is that his style may be considered a bit old-fashioned in its classical approach (this score, incidentally, being a bit of an odd man out with its electric guitar and percussion bits).
    But really, he hits all the right notes, literally and metaphorically: thematic, a wide range of symphonic instrumentation and with a truly cunning command of direction and orchestration.

Wonderful stuff.

Time Of The Wolf features a great theme, reworked in the leitmotivic way I love so much. It's recording is as crisp as any concert, and it's just a joy to listen to.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Frost/Nixon - Hans Zimmer

Certianly sounds impressive. Despite my addiction to action stuff, I loved this! Gentle, sombre at times and dramatic at other, it made a very nice listening experience. I like the cello and piano driven rhythmic stuff. Favourite tracks are Watergate, Status, Money, Insanely Risky and First Ideas.

Now bring on Angels and Demons!! punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Largo Winch | Alexandre Desplat

The CD presentation leaves a little bit to be desired for, but after some quick arranging it's a lot more enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Angels In America - Thomas Newman

One of Newman's most emotional works. Haunting stuff.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote
    NP: Angels In America - Thomas Newman

One of Newman's most emotional works. Haunting stuff.

cool

Indeed. A very gripping score.
  3. His best theme, I think
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - Largo Winch

Desplat's own Bond score. The opening titles especially carry a particularly "Barry" color on them, and the whole score sounds like from past eras.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote
    Time Of The Wolf - John Scott

I join with many people on this forum in regretting Scott never having gotten more high-profile film work to score. What a wonderful sense of symphony and lyricism this man displays!

Yes! wink

I assume you´ve listened "Shogun Mayeda", Antony and Cleopatra", "The North Star" (what a main theme!) and "The Shooting Party". If not, do it ASAP.

Edit: I´ve forgotten "King of the Wind".
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    christopher wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    NP: September Dawn, William Ross
    Jaw-droppingly beautiful. Is it shameful that I want to keep playing "Elegy" over and over again? I think I'd like to see this movie. It's gotta be a tear-jerker.
    omg

Have you read reviews of that film? I would advise against seeing it. It's supposed to absolutely atrocious, and not historically accurate at all. I think there's a new book out about the massacre though that is supposed to be the new standard. You might check it out instead.

Really?? I'll keep that in mind. If I do see the film I'll probably for the enjoyment of matching visuals to the music, and for that reason alone.

NP: Igor, Patrick Doyle
    My personal pick on the "Most unnoticed score of 2008". It's really quite lovely with varied thrilling, funny, heartfelt moments, just the kind of wide-ranging palette you'd expect from an animated movie. Vintage Doyle.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Martijn wrote
    You think so???
    I found it far less thematic and compelling than King Kong. That's a score that I regularly return to. Not so sure if I'll do the same with She.

I find both She and King Kong to be equally overrated and left behind in the dust of the thrill that is The Adventures of Don Juan, The Flame and the Arrow and The Three Musketeers and Pursued. I think that when Steiner does Korngold he's by far at his best.

Everything else is a little too Dark Victory-ish for me.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me