• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

One track made me think I was listening to Diamonds Are Forever it was that close to Barry's.

'Field Trip'?

No way! I'm guessing Night At The Opera?

No, Steven was right, it was 'Field Trip', a very brief track.

Ah fair enough. That sounds like it could be from any Bond film to me. biggrin

I know my Bond music ass backwards, it's definitely DAF.

Love the action track 'Target Terminated' punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Np: Defiance - James Newton Howard

Lovely low key score from JNH. Fine violin solos but did Joshua Bell really have to be the one to perform them? I'm sure the principal violinist of the Hollywood Symphony would have done an equally good job. But then again the principal violinist doesn't sell CD's like having the name Joshua Bell on the front cover.

I notice that Defiance is released by Sony Classics. Is Bell signed to Sony by any chance? And would the composer be persuaded to use him for the score?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : QUANTUM OF SOLACE - David Arnold

My 3rd listen, very enjoyable!

3.5 / 5

My 4th listen.....this is great!!! shocked

And I've changed my mind....

4 / 5

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Lovely low key score from JNH. Fine violin solos but did Joshua Bell really have to be the one to perform them? I'm sure the principal violinist of the Hollywood Symphony would have done an equally good job. But then again the principal violinist doesn't sell CD's like having the name Joshua Bell on the front cover.

I notice that Defiance is released by Sony Classics. Is Bell signed to Sony by any chance? And would the composer be persuaded to use him for the score?

Yes, Joshua Bell is signed with Sony and it's possible that it was a contractual thing. I've heard that James Horner was persuaded to work with Bell on Iris.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Am I the only one who can't find any interesting in this score???

Give the village, Snow falling instead of this. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

3.5 / 5

4 / 5

cool

I'm starting to wonder if Arnold has a gun to your head? shocked
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

3.5 / 5

4 / 5

cool

Indeed. What it lacks in consistency it makes up for in lots of little cool bits. What's your favourite cue? Oil Fields is mine, by far! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    'Oil Fields'!? 'Pursuit at Port Au Prince' blows that track out of the water... if you'll excuse the pun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    'Oil Fields'!? 'Pursuit at Port Au Prince' blows that track out of the water... if you'll excuse the pun.

Anthony has some kind of connection with "oil fields".This reminds us, the music works for everyone different. and this is what makes we are all here
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote

Oil Fields and Persuit At Port Au Prince are both good but I prefer the action riff workout in Target Terminated.

The quirky "Indian" variation of the Bond theme in the brief Bond In Haiti and I absolutely love the Barryesque No Interest In Dominic Greene and Night At The Opera which, I would say, also have a feel of Craig Armstrong about it too.

And yes Anthony, "lots of little cool bits" cool

*cough..."splutter" whadafuck am i doing talking to youz two extolling the virtues of david arnold for.... shocked dizzy
  3. Nautilus wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Am I the only one who can't find any interesting in this score???

Give the village, Snow falling instead of this. rolleyes

I've not heard this CD yet but the clips are certainly making me want to hear it!

It certainly sounds from the clips that it could be more interesting than Snow Falling On Cedars. This later CD is a good one, with a few huge stand-out moments. But I sometimes think that the score on CD is elevated a bit too high just on the basis of these few big moments.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Oil Fields and Persuit At Port Au Prince are both good but I prefer the action riff workout in Target Terminated.

The quirky "Indian" variation of the Bond theme in the brief Bond In Haiti and I absolutely love the Barryesque No Interest In Dominic Greene and Night At The Opera which, I would say, also have a feel of Craig Armstrong about it too.

And yes Anthony, "lots of little cool bits" cool

*cough..."splutter" whadafuck am i doing talking to youz two extolling the virtues of david arnold for.... shocked dizzy

biggrin

I think I may prefer 'Target Terminated' too to be honest. Very archetypal Arnold-Dodd action riff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Give it time.
    We'll have Tim singing the praises of Klaus Badelt yet...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That challenge remains in the hands of one Mr. Southall methinks. I have nothing against Badelt myself, but I can't say I really listen to his music that much. If at all.

Fear not for I love Poledouris and Delerue! kiss <-ass kissing
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Give it time.
    We'll have Tim singing the praises of Klaus Badelt yet...

...and hell really will freeze over.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    The quirky "Indian" variation of the Bond theme in the brief Bond In Haiti

shocked

I hated that. Whenever I listen to that cue I cringe. vomit
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    That challenge remains in the hands of one Mr. Southall methinks. I have nothing against Badelt myself, but I can't say I really listen to his music that much. If at all.

Fear not for I love Poledouris and Delerue! kiss <-ass kissing

Only people who "enjoy" Westlife, Boyzone and any other Louis Welsh / simon Cowell type "muzak" would say they DIDN'T love Poledouris and Delerue.

FACT!
  4. Marselus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Wanted (Elfman)

A fresh, without losing personality, Elfman Score.

Addictive!

Indeed. One of the few Elfman scores that I can enjoy.

then you should listen to Black Beauty and Sommersby quick if you haven't done so

I haven´t listened these two you mention to be honest shame But I will and I´ll post my thoughts here wink

Trust me, you'll have a new profound liking for Elfman when you hear him compose some of the most inspiring dramatic music since Edward Scissorhands (another highlight for sure)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Agree. Sommersby and Black beauty could be my most enjoyable Elfman Scores.

You know, Im not a great fan of Elfman, specially in his most aclalmaited scores (Nightmare before..batman..) but Black Beuaty and Sommersby are very subtile and enjoyable.

with Charlie and the chocolate and Wanted are the scores I listen from Elfman.

NP:Timeline (Goldsmith)

If were not for this Legend like synth elements, the rest is very cool. Goldsmith in authopilot, but really cool.

Specially the percusion in the climax at the end of the movie.

I rather prefer Goldsmith score than Tyler's over orchestrated one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    markrayen wrote
    NP - Bak fasaden

A recent Norwegian comedy about the intrigues within a wealthy family, resulting in an Agatha Christie inspired murder mystery. The music is scored for a 13 piece orchestra, composed and conducted by yours truly. Some say its unhealthy for a composer to go back and listen to things done in the past. But on slow days like these I find it comforting to go back and recollect some of my experiences. I have especially fond memories of our cellist, who gave a devestatingly beautiful performance of the concert theme. Its extremely reassuring to witness someone respond like this to something from your own hand, and hearing her performance was the single greatest experience of my entire life!

Very cool! I didn't know you were a composer. Are there samples to Bak Fasaden that we can listen somewhere online?
  5. Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard - Batman Begins and The Dark Knight

Made the decision to listen to both scores after King Arthur yesterday to prepare for my review of Frost/Nixon better. I actually prefer The Dark Knight to Batman Begins and just heard the amazing Harvey Two Dent.

I am collecting Zimmer's idea appearing in his scores, next in line - The Ring.
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    Murder on the Orient Express by Ennio Morricone: I loved the opening theme, but the rest of the tracks didn't hold up as well (to me) until the opening theme reappears on later tracks.

Astronomers: JAC Redford - too many "a-ha! Something important is about to happen here" moments without enough themes, although there were some more melodic tracks that I enjoyed quite a bit.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's freezing outside! freezing

NP : SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Perfectly sublime cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2008
    NP: Princess Mononoke: Symphonic Suite - Joe Hisaishi the genius

No word is needed! punk
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2008 edited
    Miya wrote

No word is needed! punk

I concur! This is beautiful, but I should really play it more, it's just there's always some other great score to listen to.

Will listen to it later, thanks for the reminder. beer

NP: Leviathan (Jerry Goldsmith)

Rather dark and uninteresting from the maestro, but the final cue is another winner. Shame the rest of the score isn't as cool...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobinson
    "Postcards" from The curious case of Benjamin Button - Desplat

This is one of the most gorgeous pieces of music my ears have ever listened too. Great great score, very moving.... Excellent score within the film itself....
    I'm deeply touched....
    Robinson
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Miya wrote

No word is needed! punk

I concur! This is beautiful, but I should really play it more, it's just there's always some other great score to listen to.

Will listen to it later, thanks for the reminder. beer

NP: Leviathan (Jerry Goldsmith)

Rather dark and uninteresting from the maestro, but the final cue is another winner. Shame the rest of the score isn't as cool...

I think the score has a few good moments, the main title or Underwater Camp is a lovely piece of ethereal menace complete with "whale?" sounds.
  6. I like how the track titles turn a bit double entendre at the end of the score biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2008 edited
    NP: " I don't think Know is the best time" Vs " The Battle/To Dawg's Ship*/Morgan Battles Dawg*/Dawg's Demise/The Triumph "
    punk Go Zimmer go!!!! You are almost in the same league here!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: " I don't think Know is the best time" Vs " The Battle/To Dawg's Ship*/Morgan Battles Dawg*/Dawg's Demise/The Triumph "
    punk Go Zimmer go!!!! You are almost in the same league here!

"you're a mentalist!"

-Alan Partridge-