• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008
    What are some good quotes (by composers or listeners) on the subject of film music?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2008 edited
    One of my favourite quotes ever is from the conductor Leopold Stowoski: "A painter paints his pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."

Epic words.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2008
    Steven wrote
    One of my favourite quotes ever is from the conductor Leopold Stowoski: "A painter paints his pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."

Epic words.

Good quote! beer
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    “With the ascendancy of atonality in academic and critical circles during this century, music of romance and passion went underground and surfaced on film soundtracks.”– John Mauceri

"Music is music whether it is for the stage, rostrum or cinema. Form may change, the manner of writing may vary, but the composer needs to make no concessions whatsoever to what he conceives to be his own musical ideology” – Erich Wolfgang Korngold

"You can listen to it apart from the film today and still feel the passion that I think he must have felt when he was writing those amazing themes." - Jon Burlingame (about Ben-Hur)

“The suites from these films are like a mirror of the symphonic poems of Liszt and Strauss in the 19th century. Program music in the 19th century had subjects, and the music of the 1930s and ‘40s—the best scores of that time—are merely a latter-day extension of that” – Brendan Carroll
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Some music I just don't understand
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    This is a quote I had for a signature many years ago, on the Old Site, but it's such a brilliant one, I'm happy to re-share it. It's best read in context, though, so here's the full story on famous Brazilian classical composer Heitor Villa-Lobos' one and only dismal experience in Hollywood on the 1959 film Green Mansions:

In his autobiography, entitled Double Life, Miklos Rozsa tells this story:
    "I met (Villa-Lobos) when he arrived in Hollywood, asked him whether he had yet seen the film (Green Mansions), and how much time the were allowing him to write the music.

He was going to see the picture tomorrow, he said, and the music was already completed.
    They had sent him a script, he told me, translated into Portuguese, and he had followed that, just as if he had been writing a ballet or opera.

I was dumbfounded; apparently nobody had bothered to explain the basic techniques to him.

'But Maestro,' I said, 'what will happen if your music doesn't match the picture exactly?" Villa-Lobos was obviously talking to a complete idiot. 'In that case, of course, they will adjust the picture,' he replied.

Well, they didn't. They paid him his fee and sent him back to Brazil.
    Bronislau Kaper, an experienced MGM staff composer, fitted his music to the picture as best he could."

For what it's worth, Villa-Lobos later reworked his music for Green Mansions into a symphonic poem entitled "Forest of the Amazon".
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    "Film music is no more than wallpaper, filler material"
    Igor Stravinsky
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MMmmkay
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Stravinsky, of course, wouldn't know proper music if it bit him on the ass.
    The only reason he gained some notoriety is through Disney's Fantasia, where his music was used as ...film music. biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I tried to listen to lots of Stravinsky material through the times and although i do find myself deeply liking obscure stuff from time to time, like the brilliance of Penderecki for instance, i thought that what i heard from Stravinsky was either too bad or something entirely out of my understanding and my "give a damn" range.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You're putting it more diplomatically than me, D. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    The only reason he gained some notoriety is through Disney's Fantasia, where his music was used as ...film music. biggrin

You should have used that for a True/False.

Oddly, a lot of our very favourite scores would be lacking without Stravinsky.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    I tried to listen to lots of Stravinsky material through the times and although i do find myself deeply liking obscure stuff from time to time, like the brilliance of Penderecki for instance, i thought that what i heard from Stravinsky was either too bad or something entirely out of my understanding and my "give a damn" range.

shocked

Stravinsky was (IS) a goddamn genius and it's obvious ( to me ) that you've not listened to any!

> devil <
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Rite of Spring was something special indeed. And it took me years and years to understand his work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

You should have used that for a True/False.

biggrin
    Well, it's an opinion rather than a fact. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would decry my depiction above and mention his modern ballets.
    (Obviously said people wouldn't know good music if it bit them on the ass)

Oddly, a lot of our very favourite scores would be lacking without Stravinsky.

True.
    slant
    I'm still trying to come to terms with the discrepancy.
    It annoys me. I like things to be nice and simple and black and white.

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    He also said that his music wasn't designed to be recorded. That said and perhaps the Rite of Spring live with his music could be quite spectacular. Just like some film music is awful away from the picture but in the film it is excellent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

shocked

Stravinsky was (IS) a goddamn genius and it's obvious ( to me ) that you've not listened to any!

> devil <

I have; not my thing; and don't ask me about titles, i don't remember. How are everyone supposed to like the same things? Maybe i didn't "get" what he was trying to do and i said that in the first place. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Perhaps given the opportunity to see the ballet someday take advantage
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

shocked

> devil <

I have; not my thing; and don't ask me about titles, i don't remember. How are everyone supposed to like the same things? Maybe i didn't "get" what he was trying to do and i said that in the first place. smile

Glad you noticed my little devil advocate. wink

When you get the chance D I would seriously recommend you sit down and give a good listen to THE FIREBIRD, an awesome work and one of the composers most accessable pieces.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I will; for 2 reasons: 1) you recommended it and 2) the word accessible . But i don't guarantee much. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You'll hate it.
    I do.

(Well, I don't actually hate it, but as I already stated my dislike of Strawinsky I can't very well go back on it now, can I? )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well if it's like Schoenberg (Especially the later) then i will most definitely join you Martijn smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's not. Timer is quite right: Firebird is easily Strawinsky's most accessible work.
    I'm still not a fan, but I can certainly bear (and even appreciate) a good rendition of that particular work.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    It's not. Timer is quite right: Firebird is easily Strawinsky's most accessible work.
    I'm still not a fan, but I can certainly bear (and even appreciate) a good rendition of that particular work.

"Timer" what? As in "old Timer"!? wink

D mentioned Penderecki, heard any of his work Martijn?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

Oh...ah... Freudian slip o' the finger... shame

Once.
    I'm still recuperating.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm sure you're all aware that Stravinsky was actually approached to score a film, and he wasn't negative, but demanded at least one-year preparation and composing time, which the filmmakers obviously couldn't accept, so nothing ever came of it. I'm not sure which film this was, exactly, but it's a fascinating anecdote.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I guess the amount of money he wanted was out of the realm of possibility
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2008
    sdtom wrote
    I guess the amount of money he wanted was out of the realm of possibility

That too, yes.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

Oh...ah... Freudian slip o' the finger... shame

Once.
    I'm still recuperating.

biggrin

That's why it surprises me that D is down on Stravinsky and yet loves Penderecki, Stravinsky sounds like pop in comparison wink ( a slight exageration but you know what I mean )
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    They just don't understand him. He is a genius