• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. cheesy

With these never-ending shootouts, it will become very hard to determine who actually shot first.

Anthony wrote

You say there is no single player, but you can play the survival mode solo and there are also five or six solo missions which act as tutorials and are kinda fun.

I would've preferred some sort of story mode. Like in the old days (Jedi Knight, Dark Forces).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2015
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    It DOES look fantastic...but it's online co-op only.
    No single-player mode, and not offline.

So regrettably I'll pass.

You're wise to, it's a complete con. Sure, the look and sound of the game is spot on, it's one of the best looking games ever made. It's the closest to being in a Star Wars film than you're likely to experience for some time. But that novelty soon wears off and you realise you're playing another Call of Duty-esque online shooter. It's essentially Battlefield with a Star Wars skin. Not only that, you have to pay more on top of what you've already paid for the game to get a 'season pass' to unlock the full version.

Utter bullshit, and such a waste of what are incredible graphics and maps. Fuck EA, and fuck this game.

The new Call of Duty offers waay more than this game does. Battlefront is a good looking and good sounding piece of trash.
  2. Were you sad when Darth Maul was slain? Are you training to be a pupil of the dark side of the force? Do you support the emperor's wish to eliminate all Jedi? Do you dream of kickass lightsabre duels?

Then watch this:

Darth Maul: Apprentice
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2016
    DreamTheater wrote
    Were you sad when Darth Maul was slain?

Definitely. He was the greatest villain of the STAR WARS films -- and yes, that includes ol' Vader.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Definitely. He was the greatest villain of the STAR WARS films -- and yes, that includes ol' Vader.

No. I love the prequels, but no.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

...said bizarro world Thor.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Were you sad when Darth Maul was slain? Are you training to be a pupil of the dark side of the force? Do you support the emperor's wish to eliminate all Jedi? Do you dream of kickass lightsabre duels?

Then watch this:

Darth Maul: Apprentice

More flashy lightsabre battles without any dramatic weight! sleep

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Exactly what bugs me about most fan films.
    Honestly this one is in the top of its class (i.e. the 'let's play around with cool lightsabers' fanfilms) with pretty top notch choreography and effects. I keep being amazed how much effort and skill these fan films are drawing!
    But yeah, like most fan films, they tend to sacrifice dramatic development to 'coolness'.
    Still, very well done for what it is!

And I agree Darth Maul was woefully underused in the prequels.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Oh c'mon as a fan movie it's not that bad... How much drama can one add in 16 minutes (not counting the credits)? The fight choreography is actually excellent. And the make-up and constumes are too. Plus it's professionally made.

Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

You know what... I love his battle with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, Duel of the Fates included. Must be one of the best sequences of the prequels (or of the saga for that matter). It's awesome... Maul's a real menace and a force to be reckoned with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

You're an idiot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Oh c'mon as a fan movie it's not that bad... How much drama can one add in 16 minutes (not counting the credits)? The fight choreography is actually excellent. And the make-up and constumes are too. Plus it's professionally made.

All that, yes... but it's boring. This type of fan film has been done over and over and over and over again to death. And you CAN add dramatic depth within a short film... if you put in the effort.

DreamTheater wrote
    You know what... I love his battle with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, Duel of the Fates included. Must be one of the best sequences of the prequels (or of the saga for that matter). It's awesome... Maul's a real menace and a force to be reckoned with.

It's a well choreographed sequence, but again, void of any sort of dramatic impact!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    A 'character' who's remembered for his striking and unique design (and double lightsaber), nothing more. Darth Maul is not a character; he's a set piece. (FYI, the Emperor is the best villain in the Star Wars universe.)
  5. Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

omg

Constantly raising the bar (and our eyebrows), Thor, I salute you!
  6. Well, Thor's games of provocation aside, I have to say that the first couple of times I saw the original 1977 Star Wars it was Peter Cushing's Grand Moff Tarkin, who really gave me the creeps. Vader seemed a bit like an over the top comic book character. Yet Tarkin was that SS type character that gave gravitas and credibility to that something that was the Galactic Empire. Just as Alec Guinness gave gravitas and credibility to the Force and the Jedi. Tarkin is a crucial character and indeed a formidable villain. He made me believe that that Empire was not just another bunch of gangsters who tormented some outpost hamlet. Cushing turned the Empire into the Third Reich in Space. This brought a degree of seriousness to this fantasy world that is vital for the concept to work as well as it does.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2016 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Oh c'mon as a fan movie it's not that bad... How much drama can one add in 16 minutes (not counting the credits)? The fight choreography is actually excellent. And the make-up and constumes are too. Plus it's professionally made.

Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Not only the last battle, but everything in terms of grins, body language and the appropriate amount of mystery. Darth Vader will always have a place in my heart, but Maul is in a whole other league in terms of pure "badassness" (if that's a word).

(of course, it needs to be said that I'm probably the only one here who really likes the prequels in general).
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Captain Future wrote
    Well, Thor's games of provocation aside, I have to say that the first couple of times I saw the original 1977 Star Wars it was Peter Cushing's Grand Moff Tarkin, who really gave me the creeps. Vader seemed a bit like an over the top comic book character. Yet Tarkin was that SS type character that gave gravitas and credibility to that something that was the Galactic Empire. Just as Alec Guinness gave gravitas and credibility to the Force and the Jedi. Tarkin is a crucial character and indeed a formidable villain. He made me believe that that Empire was not just another bunch of gangsters who tormented some outpost hamlet. Cushing turned the Empire into the Third Reich in Space. This brought a degree of seriousness to this fantasy world that is vital for the concept to work as well as it does.

Volker

yeah

Tarkin is awesome. Not enough people acknowledge the fact that he and not Vader is the true villain of the original Star Wars. In fact, given the Emperor's presence and the eventual redemption in Return of the Jedi, the only film where we really see Vader at full badass potential is in The Empire Strikes Back.

Darth Maul looks cool and has l33t m0vz and a great theme song (indirectly speaking) but there it ends.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Well, Thor's games of provocation aside, I have to say that the first couple of times I saw the original 1977 Star Wars it was Peter Cushing's Grand Moff Tarkin, who really gave me the creeps. Vader seemed a bit like an over the top comic book character. Yet Tarkin was that SS type character that gave gravitas and credibility to that something that was the Galactic Empire. Just as Alec Guinness gave gravitas and credibility to the Force and the Jedi. Tarkin is a crucial character and indeed a formidable villain. He made me believe that that Empire was not just another bunch of gangsters who tormented some outpost hamlet. Cushing turned the Empire into the Third Reich in Space. This brought a degree of seriousness to this fantasy world that is vital for the concept to work as well as it does.

Volker

yeah

Tarkin is awesome. Not enough people acknowledge the fact that he and not Vader is the true villain of the original Star Wars. In fact, given the Emperor's presence and the eventual redemption in Return of the Jedi, the only film where we really see Vader at full badass potential is in The Empire Strikes Back.

Darth Maul looks cool and has l33t m0vz and a great theme song (indirectly speaking) but there it ends.

DOUBLE yeah
  8. Edmund Meinerts wrote

Darth Maul looks cool and has l33t m0vz ...

OK ... confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yep. He r0x0rz.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. So no comments about the score, or how uninteresting it was? As generic as they come. They should've asked Gordy Haab to score it, at least he would've nailed the musical vibe.
  10. Rather hard to find a John-Williams-level composer for that kind of fan fiction I guess.

Volker
  11. Didn't watch the whole thing, but yeah, the score sounds really lame. Not outright terrible or anything, but they made exactly zero effort to make it sound like Star Wars, which seems odd for a fan film that is otherwise obviously quite concerned with recreating the atmosphere. This just sounds like Kevin Kliesch-type low-budget music for a DC animated movie...except really lazy.

Still, I imagine even Gordy Haab would be out of their price range...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2016 edited
    This promo looks very promising for Rogue One (the second half is just the trailer). That said, whoever chose the music needs to be strung up by their balls.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2016
    Steven wrote
    That said, whoever chose the music needs to be strung up by their balls.

I was JUST about to say that, in a slightly more diplomatic way. Good GOD, what a noise!

But the visuals look very exciting!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2016
    As long as the writing is decent, Ben Mendelsohn has the potential to outshine any of the baddies in the Force Awakens by quite a wide margin. The best actor in any of the two newest Star Wars films (in fact, potentially the best actor in all of them). We shall see.
  12. On other boards people speculate about another physical release of the original Star Wars scores by either Intada or Walt Disney Records. I'm not sure what options there are and what further releases the market is ready so absorb.

One thing that would make sense in my opinion are releases of expanded versions of the prequel scores via special market distribution. (Intrada) At least that is something that I would be interested in.

Another thing that comes to mind are the original mixes and LP presentations of the original scores, preferably also via special market distribution.

A super dooper box set comprising everything ever recorded in every feasible presentation, with every burp anyone accidentally made while the recorder was running ... even with special market distribution I don't necessarily see this breaking even.

As for the mass market, I don't think there is much money to make. Do you?

Volker
  13. I'd like to see a release of all the Star Wars scores where the sound quality has been optimised as much as possible (whatever that means!). I've lost track of which version of Star Wars is the best sounding.

It's been a while since I bought a copy of the original Star Wars film so it's about time I dipped into my pocket for that one. A solid presentation of the chronologically arranged score would be excellent, then have the relevant old LP presentation and the inclusion of some alternate tracks would be a good place to start. (I seem to remember there was a release that featured several versions of the opening main theme from Star Wars - including the first ever recording - that was contained in one long track (hidden track?) but I can't remember which version that was on.)

This would be a good template for subsequent scores.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2017
    If the Star Wars scores ever get re-released it won't be through a niche label.

Walt Disney Records makes the most sense. And they'll probably get some help from the guys at Intrada.

-Erik-
  14. When gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be.

So ...

The Last Jedi

Leia dies which makes Luke the last Jedi (again).
    Luke dies which makes Leia the last Jedi.
    Luke and Leia die and thenceforward that Amidala look alike will be the last Jedi.

smile Volker