• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009
  1. This Is It

I'm seriously wondering if I would recommend this to the haters of Michael, because if you don't like his music, his style you won't find much to love here. I had a blast though, because the film clearly shows what MJ, his dancers, coordinators, musicians, technicians and many more had in store for the unknowing public. If he hadn't died, and the concerts went ahead as planned, this could have resulted in the biggest comeback of all time. Seriously the planning of the show was done with such passion, love for the artistry of all people involved, and creative genius it makes it even harder to swallow that this project has died prematurely. If one day they decided to do that same show they were planning in the film with an MJ look-alike / dancing-alike singing playback only, it would still rock beyond belief. I was witnessing the spectacle with a huge smile on my face. Thanks Kenny Ortega for this film: it's a testament of history in the making or what could've been.

Michael looked surprisingly fit, handsome and in charge during the rehearsals. Unbelievable he died only a few weeks later.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2009
    ANCHORMAN

Very, very funny. Will Ferrell (for once) didn't annoy me, and Steve Carrel stole the show as Brick. I love the "It's too hot...milk was a bad choice" line and the fight between the stations with the random guy on fire. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anchorman is a ridiculous film... and I love it!

RV: The Matrix (Blu Ray)

A quite Friday night in with one of the best films ever made. A masterpiece! (And I use that word very sparingly, unlike certain people.)
  2. RV: The Matrix (Blu Ray)

A quite Friday night in with one of the best films ever made. A masterpiece! (And I use that word very sparingly, unlike certain people.)

Mate, you just gave me an idea of what to watch tomorrow. punk

Give my speakers a good workout. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, that'll do it. Blu-Ray I hope?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

A masterpiece! (And I use that word very sparingly, unlike certain people.)

Like....?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Like certain people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Like....?

Yeah, I like.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    DISTRICT 9

One of the most entertaining films of the year. Fantastic! Starts off with a video reportage and interviews about the main character, introducing why there's a huge space ship hanging over Southern Africa's Johannesburg for over 20 years. District 9 keeps the aliens under control. In the movie, it starts when they want to repatriate the alien colony (1.8 million) to a new place because humans want them to be gone.

Fun movie, that takes a quick pace, although clearly not always focused on logic behaviour of the characters. But it's all very well told and a joy to watch. Definitely one of the more original concepts for a scifi movie, including its setting, although the story itself is rather conventional near the end. All reasons to enjoy this surprising film. Also the score, with its mix of Batman Begins strings, wild BSG percussion and a vocal, brought together during the nice although generic main theme, worked well enough.

Yes! I liked it, and the feeling after seeing it was that the 9EUR's were worth it.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2009 edited
    Bregt wrote
    DISTRICT 9

It had some good ideas, great in fact. But the actual film itself I couldn't stand. I'm not a fan of the mockumentary style, especially in the cinema (shaky cam = vomit ). But stylistically it felt gimmicky, and I felt very bored by it in the first 10 minutes.

Nah, didn't like this one at all. I'm looking forward to Avatar simply to make up for the poor movie-going experience that was District 9.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    All right.

I just saw the second trailer of Avatar, and I'm seriously underwhelmed. But I was that as well with District 9, but that was more of not knowing what to expect. So I'm certainly going to see it (I guess?) but it's not a movie that I'm very much looking forward or so (I still have to see Up, and that one is higher on my list, but since it's already out of cinema's, i'll have to wait for DVD).
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    All right.

I was the same until I saw the trailer in 3D. I don't even care if it's not that good a movie, all I know is it looks impressive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Bregt wrote
    Yes! I liked it, and the feeling after seeing it was that the 9EUR's were worth it.

9€??! And I thought the 7,20€ we pay here is too much!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    This Is It

I'm seriously wondering if I would recommend this to the haters of Michael, because if you don't like his music, his style you won't find much to love here.

I think you're mixing people who are fed up with the hype with those who might genuinely hate Jackson and his music. I am in the former group.

In fact, I love his music, I grew up with it. I just think all this hype surrounding his death is so far beyond over-the-top that it's actually circled back on its self and crossed the line again. I honestly can't believe people are going to see this documentary in the cinemas.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote

People like those who use it about The Matrix?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    What Dreams May Come

Not a great film by any means, but it is a visual masterpiece (and I use that word very sparingly, unlike certain people). The artistry in the effects is just extraordinary.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

It may be a different kind of masterpiece than the brandy-drinking, leather-chaired, monocle-wearing, mustache-twiddling aristocrats would prefer - but a masterpiece nonetheless. So many metaphors, so much powerful imagery. The philosophy and implications thereafter alone is breathtaking. Add to that a stupendously well made film, and you have yourself a classic.

It deserves nothing less than 5 stars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Metaphors. Whatever will they think of next?

I thought it was OK. Quite good in fact. But no masterpiece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

Perhaps sarcasm?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Perhaps sarcasm?

Irony even?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

It may be a different kind of masterpiece than the brandy-drinking, leather-chaired, monocle-wearing, mustache-twiddling aristocrats would prefer - but a masterpiece nonetheless. So many metaphors, so much powerful imagery. The philosophy and implications thereafter alone is breathtaking. Add to that a stupendously well made film, and you have yourself a classic.

It deserves nothing less than 5 stars.

Indeed! What a fucking shame they made another two.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    This Is It

I'm seriously wondering if I would recommend this to the haters of Michael, because if you don't like his music, his style you won't find much to love here. I had a blast though, because the film clearly shows what MJ, his dancers, coordinators, musicians, technicians and many more had in store for the unknowing public. If he hadn't died, and the concerts went ahead as planned, this could have resulted in the biggest comeback of all time. Seriously the planning of the show was done with such passion, love for the artistry of all people involved, and creative genius it makes it even harder to swallow that this project has died prematurely. If one day they decided to do that same show they were planning in the film with an MJ look-alike / dancing-alike singing playback only, it would still rock beyond belief. I was witnessing the spectacle with a huge smile on my face. Thanks Kenny Ortega for this film: it's a testament of history in the making or what could've been.

Michael looked surprisingly fit, handsome and in charge during the rehearsals. Unbelievable he died only a few weeks later.

Well said. applause beer
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Indeed! What a fucking shame they made another two.

I'm not sure I'm ever quite going to get over those other two to the extent that I could truly enjoy the first one again. It's a shame, but they just destroyed it to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I have never seen the sequels, the first one was more than enough for me, I didn't like it at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote This Is It I'm seriously wondering if I would recommend this to the haters of Michael, because if you don't like his music, his style you won't find much to love here.

I think you're mixing people who are fed up with the hype with those who might genuinely hate Jackson and his music. I am in the former group. In fact, I love his music, I grew up with it. I just think all this hype surrounding his death is so far beyond over-the-top that it's actually circled back on its self and crossed the line again.

I honestly can't believe people are going to see this documentary in the cinemas.

Yeah. The over-exposure and overload of crappy melodrama and hype has killed whatever positive sentiments i had for his whole thing before. Having said that, i do appreciate what he's done for pop and music in general, but that's just it. Now, people paying to see what they can also see in youtube, i.e. draft hand-held camera things that basically show nothing of importance, but otherwise do feed the hype even more, is beyond my understanding.
  3. Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    This Is It

I'm seriously wondering if I would recommend this to the haters of Michael, because if you don't like his music, his style you won't find much to love here.

I think you're mixing people who are fed up with the hype with those who might genuinely hate Jackson and his music. I am in the former group.

In fact, I love his music, I grew up with it. I just think all this hype surrounding his death is so far beyond over-the-top that it's actually circled back on its self and crossed the line again. I honestly can't believe people are going to see this documentary in the cinemas.

Why not see it in the cinema? It's not like the film is exploiting his death and milking it for all its worth, it clearly states it is made for the fans, it gives us an inside look on what could've been the greatest show on earth. Seeing all the huge effort and creativity put into it is staggering to say the least. Not releasing such a film, with all the mind blowing footage available would have been a terrible waste.

For me the hype is justified, he was one of the most inspirational entertainers in the world. This film only confirms that he and his crew were giving their all to completely eradicate the public's expectations. Seeing him on the stage, controlling every aspect of the rehearsals is unbelievable, because he really was in great shape, like back in the 90s, not the creepy looking shadow of his former self that we were led to believe he had become this past decade.

And it's not like you're being pushed to go see it huh Steven?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Don't tell me you actually believe that the timing of the release and the whole thing, has nothing to do with his recent death and the media craze that follows? And that the producers rushed to glamour-up and release footage that would in other normal situations be simply in youtube, out of pure love? Srsly. I don't have a problem with people who went to see it since nobody forced me to (although nobody asked me for the plethora of giant posters in the city, movie ads, magazine ads, radio ads, tv ads etc etc that pop up in front of me all the time but you can't have it all wink ) but isn't it a bit naive to actually think that money isn't a factor in all this?
  4. Christodoulides wrote

Yeah. The over-exposure and overload of crappy melodrama and hype has killed whatever positive sentiments i had for his whole thing before. Having said that, i do appreciate what he's done for pop and music in general, but that's just it. Now, people paying to see what they can also see in youtube, i.e. draft hand-held camera things that basically show nothing of importance, but otherwise do feed the hype even more, is beyond my understanding.

rolleyes

Let me just say the quality of the images and filming is superb, especially the footage being filmed for projection on a big screen behind the stage is bloody fantastic: Earth Song, Thriller, Smooth Criminal they were all vastly upgraded from the music videos we know when they came out.

Seeing this quality of imagery on Youtube would be my idea of vomit
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    Don't tell me you actually believe that the timing of the release and the whole thing, has nothing to do with his recent death and the media craze that follows? And that the producers rushed to glamour-up and release footage that would in other normal situations be simply in youtube, out of pure love? Srsly. I don't have a problem with people who went to see it since nobody forced me to (although nobody asked me for the plethora of giant posters in the city, movie ads, magazine ads, radio ads, tv ads etc etc that pop up in front of me all the time but you can't have it all wink ) but isn't it a bit naive to actually think that money isn't a factor in all this?

I don't care whether money is or isn't a factor in this. All I care is that we, the fans have the opportunity to witness a behind the scenes look of the show, that was being put together to perfection. Apart from the show itself, I'd rather have that than nothing at all. It's not like the film itself is poorly edited. Nearly all the songs are played in their entirety and mixing of different rehearsals is very well done. So my money was well spent.

And I see it's pointless to keep continuing this debate. So I rest my case.