• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2009 edited
    West Wing Season 1

Me and my mate have started watching it since we went half each on the boxset, and we're hooked! We're about 6 episodes into the first season so far, so we've got a long way to go yet. But it's started with so many strengths: the acting, dialogue, and characterisations are pitch-perfect. We've yet to get to any overarching narrative yet, but I'm assuming it will develop as the episodes go by.

Martin Sheen is God.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2009
    I've always liked Martin Sheen right from when I first noticed him in the brilliant Apocolypse Now, he also comes across as a very decent human being everytime I've seen him in interviews.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    I've always liked Martin Sheen right from when I first noticed him in the brilliant Apocolypse Now, he also comes across as a very decent human being everytime I've seen him in interviews.

Indeed. For a raging lefty, he seems very decent! Loved him in Badlands and Apocalypse, amazed at the generally poor quality of the stuff he did after that until The West Wing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    He gets my vote.
  1. Watching the TV movie "The Tenth Circle", from 2008, because Velton Ray Bunch (Qauntum Leap, Enterprise) scored it. Last project he's known to score.

Movie isn't bad, not perfect, but it works rather well. Acting is okay, and the plot is okay as well.

The score is servicable. A nice piano based piece at the beginning, some interesting electronic backings for some cues. Nothing remarkable, but it works.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Rambo First Blood

First time I've seen it, and it wasn't what I expected at all. I thought the Rambo films were big explosion filled save-the-day movies, but instead it's a green beret starting a war with a small town police station in the mountains because he's going crazy from being in 'Nam. What the hell?

Did not enjoy.
  2. Heh. Felt the compelte opposite. Very good movie. Saw "Rambo II" completely for the first time last night. Was enjoyable enough, but nowhere near as good as the first film.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Watching a sad TV movie about a homeless black lady and her two dogs, who a female police officer befriends. 2008, "Accidental Friends".

Don't know where the movie is going, but it's a nice little film.

Score is by "the New Twilight Zone" composer John Welsman. It's sparce, but plesant enough.

EDIT:

Turned out, after the film was over, to be based on real life. The black women gives up alcohol (there ws no heavy drinking in hte film -- it was implied & said she had previously), gets into rehab, and the nice female officer even takes her in when recoverying from surgery.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Rambo First Blood

First time I've seen it, and it wasn't what I expected at all. I thought the Rambo films were big explosion filled save-the-day movies, but instead it's a green beret starting a war with a small town police station in the mountains because he's going crazy from being in 'Nam. What the hell?

Did not enjoy.

You suck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I wasn't much of a First Blood fan myself, but would like to give it another go some day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Alive

I went away with my dad when I was younger and they had this book in the b&b we stayed in. I think I read it in one sitting on a rainy British summer's day and was completely enraptured and read it several more times over the years. I was very excited when they made a film of it but even though I was only something like 15, I was disappointed how "Hollywood" they made it. Doesn't seem so bad now and it's pretty compelling stuff (but the score does seem a bit too Hollywood).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I had the opposite reaction to Anthony. I too was expecting a big explosion filled save-the-day movie, but I was pleasantly surprised it was a man-who-just-wanted-to-get-on-with-his-life-but-met-a-fucktard-sheriff movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2009
    All this talk about.....Stalone?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stallone would woop your ass, so be careful what you say.

But his movies.... yuh. They're not so strong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I saw THE CHANGELING last night. A well acted film, beautifully shot by Tom Stern in an old school style - hardly any close-ups, lots of medium shots and superb wide shots with excellent use of the 2.35:1 space. The film was also incredibly disturbing. I wasn't prepared for some of the scenes I saw.

The film tended to drag in its last act and Eastwood's score for the lack of the better word was AWFUL. Completely the wrong tone and very repetitive. So repetitive that even my wife was yelling at the TV telling "Clint to give it a rest." Eastwood really needs to stop scoring his own films and let Lennie Niehaus do it on his own.

Anyway, check out the movie if you can. It was well told and inspired us to read up more on the "Wineville Chicken Coop Murders."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Some of them are pretty good.

Yeah, you're right actually. Rambo, Rocky, Copland to name a few. (Not Judge Dredd though, strangely enough.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Yeah, you're right actually. Rambo, Rocky, Copland to name a few. (Not Judge Dredd though, strangely enough.)

I really, REALLY enjoyed Judge Dredd!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. I yet need to see whole Copland. I did enjoy his performance in it, possibly his best ever. Partly connected to him having to gain weight for the part.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

I really, REALLY enjoyed Judge Dredd!

-Erik-

I thought it was shite! Stallone couldn't wait to get out of the Dredd costume and run around in a vest. Great score by Silvestri though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Alive

I went away with my dad when I was younger and they had this book in the b&b we stayed in. I think I read it in one sitting on a rainy British summer's day and was completely enraptured and read it several more times over the years. I was very excited when they made a film of it but even though I was only something like 15, I was disappointed how "Hollywood" they made it. Doesn't seem so bad now and it's pretty compelling stuff (but the score does seem a bit too Hollywood).

I read the book after I saw the film. The film is very accurate but doesn't delve too deeply into what really went on and I think that was the right decision, if this film had been made extremely accurately it would have made for extremely grim viewing making it more of a horror fest than a humanistic story of survival.

JNH's score is very Hollywood but I do like it...a lot!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    The movies that i saw in the past two days.

UNDER SIEGE 2 *****
    FREE WILLY *****
    THE OMEN *****
    BATMAN ***1/2
    THE PHANTOM ****
    AYIRATHIL ORUVAN (tamil flick - a rehash of Hollywood flick Captain Blood) ***1/2
    UNNAL MUDIYAM THAMBI (tamil flick - one of the best movies of Kamal Hassan)
    GET SMART ***** - Superb comedy flick. In fact, i got severe stomach ache. biggrin This is the best comedy movie i have ever seen in recent times.
    AIR FORCE ONE ****

Have a nice day!
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    " Eastwood really needs to stop scoring his own films and let Lennie Niehaus do it on his own.

-Erik-

'Cause Lennie Niehaus is such a better composer wink

The movie is excellent btw, i agree.
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    I saw THE CHANGELING last night. A well acted film, beautifully shot by Tom Stern in an old school style - hardly any close-ups, lots of medium shots and superb wide shots with excellent use of the 2.35:1 space. The film was also incredibly disturbing. I wasn't prepared for some of the scenes I saw.

The film tended to drag in its last act and Eastwood's score for the lack of the better word was AWFUL. Completely the wrong tone and very repetitive. So repetitive that even my wife was yelling at the TV telling "Clint to give it a rest." Eastwood really needs to stop scoring his own films and let Lennie Niehaus do it on his own.

Anyway, check out the movie if you can. It was well told and inspired us to read up more on the "Wineville Chicken Coop Murders."

-Erik-

Changeling was one of the best movies I saw lately, the trailer shows but a fraction of the entire movie's strength. And it went much deeper than expected. Absolutely brilliant drama, same as Gran Torino of course punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Gran Torino was very impressive indeed!
  6. Christodoulides wrote

I'm beginning to absolutely adore Eastwood as a director. Wasn't to fond of one of his first (Space Cowboys), but the final 2 were goddamn terrific
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Same here, although i did like Space Cowboys too. But he should REALL start hiring real composers for his films, and by that i don't mean Niehaus and Kyle Eastwood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I'm beginning to absolutely adore Eastwood as a director. Wasn't to fond of one of his first (Space Cowboys), but the final 2 were goddamn terrific

Space Cowboys was not one of his first! (Though maybe you just meant the first that you saw.)
  7. Southall wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Space Cowboys was not one of his first! (Though maybe you just meant the first that you saw.)

yep, that's what I meant shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Same here, although i did like Space Cowboys too. But he should REALL start hiring real composers for his films, and by that i don't mean Niehaus and Kyle Eastwood.

I think sometimes his approach has worked well (eg Million Dollar Baby) but certainly some of his films have been harmed by his musical tastes. Even when Niehaus did them, the scores were broadly similar to the ones he's written "himself" (assume he has had a lot of help from Niehaus). Odd that in the 70s, some of his films had uncompromising scores from Jerry Fielding, and one was even scored by John Williams, who is pretty much the antithesis of what Eastwood seems to want these days.