• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2009
    Actually I just watched WALL-E today. I liked it very much. I'll write more tomorrow!
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    I think Erik has shocked me the most with his opinion of Ratatouille. I'm honestly, unambiguously, unequivocally perplexed as to how anyone can not be charmed by that film.

Because it was the first Pixar film that felt more like a generic, chiche ridden, formulaic Disney film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    But there's so many brilliant moments to it!? I'm literally dumbfounded to hear someone describe Ratatouille as generic. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    But there's so many brilliant moments to it!? I'm literally dumbfounded to hear someone describe Ratatouille as generic. dizzy

Great moments indeed but it didn't translate to a great film. It just reminded me off all the other goofy guy gets the girl stories I've seen in the past. sleep

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    shocked

This one is going right in the Top Ten Most Shocking Opinions from Maintitles list. Perhaps even No. 1.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'd love to hear your other 9 Steven wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    I'd love to hear your other 9 Steven wink

You're in at No. 2 with Independence Day. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik knocked me off #1 spot!? Damn!! slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    We need something truly spectacular to budge Erik from the top spot! (Jordi?)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sure, but then he'd change his mind dizzy
  1. An episode of "Dirty Jobs" on the Discovery Channel this morning while exercising.

He goes to a choclate connfectionary shop in another American state (I forget where). He switches from person to person making different things, and at one point he's with a lady who is making a special order pile of dog poo. She makes doughy chacolate colored like dog poo, then puts bits of peanuts in it (which he thinks is awesome). And I swear to you, after it's over, they are breaking to commercial with the old grandmother writting the show's name with liquid chacolate -- that happens to look like poo poo, and she sticks the finger in her mouth anbd sucks it off, smiling. biggrin
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Southall wrote
    Is it time for another Pixar ranking?

Toy Story 2
    Monsters Inc
    Toy Story
    Ratatouille
    Wall-E
    Finding Nemo
    A Bug's Life
    Cars
    Up
    The Incredibles

Did I forget any?

For me, the TOY STORY's, CARS and BUG'S LIFE sit towards the bottom. It was with FINDING NEMO that I started to become a lot more interested in their films. (I haven't seen MONSTERS INC.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2009
    tOY STORY's, CARS and BUG'S LIFE are at the bottom of my list too.

The later PIXAR work, from Finding Nemo onwards is the real thing imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2009 edited
    I appreciate Toy Story for being the first proper Pixar movie, but I agree with the above two posts. Toy Story 1 and 2 were very funny, charming and entertaining films, but not a scratch on something like Finding Nemo.

I think if you truly want to know someone, ask them to list their favourite Pixar movies. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Saw "The Da Vinci code" yesterday. Must admit I don't understand why it's known as a borefest. I found it thoroughly entertaining and well made. Especially the score worked wonders.

I've rated it 8 on imdb.

Going to see "Angels & demons" soon. Something tells me that I'm in for a treat.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    franz_conrad wrote
    For me, the TOY STORY's, CARS and BUG'S LIFE sit towards the bottom. It was with FINDING NEMO that I started to become a lot more interested in their films. (I haven't seen MONSTERS INC.)

I highly recommend Monster inc. It's very funny and entertaining, and, imo, better than the others you mentioned.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote
    Going to see "Angels & demons" soon. Something tells me that I'm in for a treat.

Really? Something tells me you're not (probably the fact the movie isn't very good).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    plindboe wrote

Really? Something tells me you're not (probably the fact the movie isn't very good).

I loved it, turned brain off and enjoyed hugely!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There's an enjoyable movie their I'm sure, and I can see why a lot of people might enjoy it. I just didn't enjoy it myself!

As Lee pointed pointed out some time ago, they made an action scene about driving to the Vatican when it really wasn't needed. It all seemed very actiony for very little reason, plus it felt like it was written by five year olds... five year old monkeys that it is. Zimmer's score is a fun listen on album, but in the film I thought it just made it all the more silly. All pomp and no circumstance.
  3. Red Cliff I & II (blu-ray)

omg

Simply stunning ! So glad I've bought these. punk

Eragon (blu-ray)

I wasn't jumping to see this but boy was I happily surprised it turned out this good. So good I even want to see the sequel, if it will ever be made. The HD quality of blu does really wonders for the beautiful locales. And the dragon is fantastic to look at. A sort of LOTR-lite if you will.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    So I finally watched WALL-E. I really regret I missed it in theater! I was busy (and poor) at that time. sad

Because I heard it's about abandoned Earth, I expected something a little more depressing ending for humans (not for WALL-E & EVE) but it isn't. I love Pixar positivity. smile The story is simple and the characters are also simple in a good way.

The animation is the most amazing. WALL-E doesn't have humanized face and almost doesn't speak, but all his emotions are there! I always thought many of the recent animated feature films rely on dialogues too much, and Finding Nemo was one of those, but this time the same director did the opposite. I remembered how expressive Luxo Jr. was... they made it again. smile

I don't like the design of humans though... it's hard to believe that those usual Pixar people originally looked like the live-action people. They should be more realistic.

This is not Ratatouille, which I loved and wanted to see it again as soon as it finished. But still, WALL-E is another great movie from Pixar. Looking forward to UP aka Old Carl's Flying House (nice Japanese title rolleyes ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    My Pixar ranking:

Ratatouille
    Toy Story
    A Bug's Life
    The Incredibles
    Toy Story 2
    WALL-E
    Monster's Inc.
    Finding Nemo
    Cars

I rank A Bug's Life high because the experience I saw it in a theater was special to me. I haven't seen it for years, so my opinion might be changed later.

I don't like Finding Nemo... I've seen it several times but I couldn't get into the story nor the characters. Cars bored me as 5-hour ride in an expressway bus. tongue

Ratatouille has the best story but Toy Story has the best Pixar characters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2009 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Eragon (blu-ray)

I wasn't jumping to see this but boy was I happily surprised it turned out this good. So good I even want to see the sequel, if it will ever be made. The HD quality of blu does really wonders for the beautiful locales. And the dragon is fantastic to look at. A sort of LOTR-lite if you will.

Seriously? I had my problems with the book, and the movie was a lot worse. While I agree about the dragon, which really IS beautifully done, there are more shortcomings than I can count, first of all the fact that FOX (who else?!) cut the movie down like a beast they wanted to slaughter. I´ve never seen so many photos from scenes that didn´t make it into the movie than for this one. They left out a lot of stuff that would have been needed for the sequel, as if they knew there wouldn´t be one. Jeremy Irons is the only actor who even tries to act like it WAS some kind of LOTR rip-off. The rest would have been fine for a sub-standard episode of Hercules. And don´t get me started on the Dwarf city that had no Dwarfs in it.

Beside the fact that the story is a painfully direct rip-off from Star Wars.

Believe me, I wanted to like this movie, and you know how easily I´m satisfied. It just didn´t happen here.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    There's an enjoyable movie their I'm sure, and I can see why a lot of people might enjoy it. I just didn't enjoy it myself!

As Lee pointed pointed out some time ago, they made an action scene about driving to the Vatican when it really wasn't needed. It all seemed very actiony for very little reason, plus it felt like it was written by five year olds... five year old monkeys that it is. Zimmer's score is a fun listen on album, but in the film I thought it just made it all the more silly. All pomp and no circumstance.

I totally agree. A silly convoluted and convenient plot too. Ewan McGregor was rubbish too with his really bad attempt at an Irish accent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Almost as bad as his American accent in The Island. I have a massive man-crush on Ewan McGregor, but I do wish he'd stay away from attempting accents.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Mr Moto with Peter Lorre last night. It is a wonderful escape for an hour or so.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  4. I meant to watch "Later...With Jools Holland" the other night because The Spaghetti Western Orchestra were on. But thanks to YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVzjvRbv8xw

biggrin
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I totally agree. A silly convoluted and convenient plot too. Ewan McGregor was rubbish too with his really bad attempt at an Irish accent.

I think it wasn't to be taken so seriously. It was fun and constantly engaging for a change, at least. I think Lee might have liked it last night!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I meant to watch "Later...With Jools Holland" the other night because The Spaghetti Western Orchestra were on. But thanks to YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVzjvRbv8xw

biggrin

Excellent! Thanks Alan, I missed it too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    I think Erik has shocked me the most with his opinion of Ratatouille. I'm honestly, unambiguously, unequivocally perplexed as to how anyone can not be charmed by that film.

There aren't many films I see at the cinema which can fill me with the sort of childlike glee I felt as, well, a child, but some of the Pixar films fall into that category, and Ratatouille was one. Simply adorable.