• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2009
    Dil Se...
    Bolly movie directed by Mani Ratnam. This was his 3rd 'terrorist' themed film (out of 4 till date). The first half was intolerable with Shah Rukh Khan hamming his way. But the rest of the film was decent.

That was completely disappointing movie from great director Maniratnam. I had huge expectations on this film but failed to capture many people's attention. Manisha Koirala's acting was good. However, i say A.R.Rahman was the savior of this movie. His score and songs were excellent. Apart from that, nothing special.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2009
    Bangkok Dangerous

There are apparently a quarter of a million words in the English language, but I'm not sure any is quite adequate enough to describe how atrocious this film is. But the great thing is, whenever I inched my finger towards the off switch, something even more stupid would happen. Everything - every single thing - is just awful. The acting, the script, the cinematography, the music - it's all the lowest of the low.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That good eh!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hehehe. Thank God i read some reviews and never attempted to watch it. It's very impressive though, how long down the shithole Nic Cage's career has gone post 2000.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Cheetah: Against All Odds

Wonderful National Geographic documentary. These things are so glorious in HD. Followed two cheetah families over a year or so in Tanzania. Totally absorbing. Great music too - I've already forgotten who wrote it (two guys with German-sounding names, I think). Probably ripped off from something, but it was great, completely different type of score for this type of project (parts reminded me of Morricone's Secret of the Sahara).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2009
    The Good German

This film has a lot of things going for it. It looks amazing, the cast is wonderful (except the out-of-his-depth Tobey Maguire), the score is nothing short of brilliant. But it has problems too, primarily the script. Did I care what happened? No, not really. And someone clever will need to explain something I didn't understand - why did Soderbergh go to the trouble of recreating the look of a 1940s film so carefully but then make it obviously a 2000s film with all the bad language?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    RV: 9

Pretty good film with a pretty bad ending.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I read some very bad reviews...
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Well I personally enjoyed some of it.
  1. Southall wrote
    The Good German

... And someone clever will need to explain something I didn't understand - why did Soderbergh go to the trouble of recreating the look of a 1940s film so carefully but then make it obviously a 2000s film with all the bad language?

To answer the question, and by doing so, to expose a problem with this film: because he could.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    William wrote
    Well I personally enjoyed some of it.

You're giving it 9 out of 10?
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Hehehe. Thank God i read some reviews and never attempted to watch it. It's very impressive though, how long down the shithole Nic Cage's career has gone post 2000.

World Trade Center was a good film, and he played his role with respect and feeling. I agree, none of his post 2000 roles can match the sheer intensity of Face/Off, the all out machismo fun of Con Air and The Rock.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

World Trade Center was a good film, and he played his role with respect and feeling. I agree, none of his post 2000 roles can match the sheer intensity of Face/Off, the all out machismo fun of Con Air and The Rock.

I liked WTC indeed, a very mature although cheesy film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

When talking about the great performances of Nicolas Cage, those three would not appear in my list!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Parenthood

I last saw this film when I was about 12, and I loved it. Didn't seem quite so good this time! Enjoyable enough, though. Lovely score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, FACE/OFF, CON AIR and THE ROCK are pretty laughable in my list too. I liked him in Weather Man, Matchstick Men, Lord of War, Adaptation, 8mm, snake eyes and Bringing out the Dead, a lot. Also Leaving Las Vegas, which reminds me again how many great films he has starred and how he managed to destroy his career during the last 10 years or so.
  3. Defiance

Realistic and harrowing drama about some of the Russian Jewish survivors during WWII, and how they managed to survive despite increasing dangers and the ever present anxieties of being killed for no reason. The movie centers on a family of brothers and how they fight back the Nazi's the best they can. Acting from Daniel Craig, Liev Shreiber and Jamie Bell is great and I totally appreciated the dialogue of the film was for 50 % in Russian, adding to the realism. Would've been more real if they had done it 100 % Russian, which makes much more sense now, come to think of it. But they had to think of American audiences as well. JNH's music was appropriate and never overdone, but it's not a score I'm thinking I will enjoy outside of the film. A good film by Edward Zwick about the desperate struggles of people being hunted down for the sake of being born out of Jewish parents, and how they try to justify their heritage.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, FACE/OFF, CON AIR and THE ROCK are pretty laughable in my list too. I liked him in Weather Man, Matchstick Men, Lord of War, Adaptation, 8mm, snake eyes and Bringing out the Dead, a lot. Also Leaving Las Vegas, which reminds me again how many great films he has starred and how he managed to destroy his career during the last 10 years or so.

Leaving Las Vegas and Bringing out the Dead are terrific performances. Loved him in Snake Eyes too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Nuovo Cinema Paradiso

What a beautiful movie. And the music is... heaven!
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    Defiance

Realistic and harrowing drama about some of the Russian Jewish survivors during WWII, and how they managed to survive despite increasing dangers and the ever present anxieties of being killed for no reason. The movie centers on a family of brothers and how they fight back the Nazi's the best they can. Acting from Daniel Craig, Liev Shreiber and Jamie Bell is great and I totally appreciated the dialogue of the film was for 50 % in Russian, adding to the realism. Would've been more real if they had done it 100 % Russian, which makes much more sense now, come to think of it. But they had to think of American audiences as well. JNH's music was appropriate and never overdone, but it's not a score I'm thinking I will enjoy outside of the film. A good film by Edward Zwick about the desperate struggles of people being hunted down for the sake of being born out of Jewish parents, and how they try to justify their heritage.

glad you liked it buddy smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Leaving Las Vegas and Bringing out the Dead are terrific performances. Loved him in Snake Eyes too.

Wild At Heart too. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I rewatched Mission Impossible trilogy:

M:I 1 = superb. One of Depalma's best films and one of the few films that I'm in from the first minute to the last.

M:I2 = Boring. Tedious.Without any rest of M:I feeling.

M:I 3= Almost as good as the first one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, FACE/OFF, CON AIR and THE ROCK are pretty laughable in my list too.

I love The Rock !
    God knows how many times I've seen it !
    I think it's a cool action flick and nobody's gonna tell me otherwise ... tongue
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Nautilus wrote
    I rewatched Mission Impossible trilogy:

M:I 1 = superb. One of Depalma's best films and one of the few films that I'm in from the first minute to the last.

M:I2 = Boring. Tedious.Without any rest of M:I feeling.

M:I 3= Almost as good as the first one.

M:I 1 = I loved the first one though I couldn't get into the fact that Mr. Phelps has suddenly turned into a baddie after all these years of faithful service in the MI Force . Great OST as well .

M:I2 = sleep Even the OST is bad but that's just my opinion .

M:I 3= Great action movie with an utterly great OST !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  5. Eric wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, FACE/OFF, CON AIR and THE ROCK are pretty laughable in my list too.

I love The Rock !
    God knows how many times I've seen it !
    I think it's a cool action flick and nobody's gonna tell me otherwise ... tongue

I think The Rock is one of my most favorite action thrillers of the 1990s and one of the groundbreaking movies in the genre for numerous reasons, not only because it's one of perhaps 3 action movies where Nicolas Cage can act for a change (Face/Off is the second of them lol ).

For the only time in his career, Michael Bay tells a STORY that makes sense and is able to lead his actors. It's not only a case of having good actors, they are very strong characters all of them and Bay controls it very well. I also love the idea of Ed Harris's Hummel not being your typical psychopath (some of his mercenaries are though) and actually fighting for a cause. This gives the movie a kind of a morality play attitude, a bit more than the usual Bruckheimer fare (though he went very downhill after Don Simpson's premature and, what's to say about it, stupid death due to overdose). The kinetic style also fits the story.

One of the reasons why I originally loved The Rock was, to be honest, the very strong inclusion of urban tactics of a SWAT team in the movie (a tactical SEAL unit is sent to Alcatraz, but they get gunned down, a very smart and good plot twist). I always loved SWAT stuff and, as a future director, I'd love to include SWAT operations in some of my movies (that's one of the reasons why Tom Clancy's novel Rainbow Six is one of my dream projects, especially with the trademark Clancy attention to detail ranging from automobile production in Debt of Honor through drug dealing, submarine and military tactics, to nuclear bomb preparation AND explosion, which makes Sum of All Fears a sometimes fearfully poetic novel, anybody into science would love the description of bomb explosion, because it's pure scientific poetry, 5 pages of something that is less than a second long). It's also very well executed, definitely somebody learnt his stuff before doing anything.

Bad Boys may be a lot of fun too, but Bay's best and most mature movie remains The Rock, because of the acting talent involved and Bay actually telling a story for a change. Rest of his movies only look cool.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2009
    HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS

Superb one. This one is quite better than The Sorcerer's stone. John Williams' score is amazing.

HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN

This is one of my all time favorite Harry potter movies. Excellent plot, well adapted screenplay and good acting by every star cast of this film. What a score? Simply classic and magnificent.

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE II

This is good John Woo action flick. Despite the flaws in script, good action sequence saves the film. I liked Hans Zimmer's score for this film. It really works very well in the movie.

THE DARK KNIGHT

I have just started adoring this movie. Now, i can understand why this movie did great business at box office. Excellent star cast, direction, cinematography, visual effects, score, editing etc. This has become one of my favorite superhero movie.

SMALL SOLDIERS

Good movie and i liked score very much.
  6. Have you ever seen a movie, Sunil, that you found mediocre or heaven forbid, plain awful, and made you turn off your TV in disgust? Would you tell us about it on these very pages? I have a hard time imagining this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2009
    I am extremely sorry, i don't get your point in your question. If you can, come back again?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2009 edited
    <paraphrase>

He's saying that you seem to like every movie you've mentioned in this thread. So is there anything that you watched and didn't like? If there's such a movie then would you avoid mentioning it here? He thinks that you will.

</paraphrase>
  7. What BP said. It's clear as crystal IMO.