• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2009
    Matt C wrote
    I have to agree with you guys. Like Erik said, Wallin did a shitty job mixing this score. I listened to the score on the XM Satellite Radio "Cinemagic" channel a few years ago, and the harsh mixing hurts my ears at times. I'm glad Horner switched to more competent mixers like Shawn Murphy and Simon Rhodes for his further scores.

Murphy always seemed to do his best work with Horner. Can't say the same about Rhodes but then again I've never been a fan of Rhodes recording technique... with the exception of a few scores. His first batch of Horner recordings were awful... Deep Impact being the worst. But The Mask of Zorro was fantastic as was The Four Feathers, Radio and selected others. And some of his recordings of Williams' work leaves something to be desired.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2009 edited
    Does anyone know scores with Duduk? I mean, where the Duduk is the main instrument?

thanks!

NP:The English patient (Yared)

I don't know why but always thought this score was more "exotic", and I always thought the duduk was the main instrument. Weird...

Some really effective compostion for strings, but the piano themes annoys me a little bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Does anyone know scores with Duduk? I mean, where the Duduk is the main instrument?

Great use of it in Cmiral's Ronin

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Nautilus wrote

It's getting hard to find a score that doesn't use it these days!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Outlander (zanelli)

It's not even funny. (well, I laugh with "leave no man behind" moment thought)

It's mediocre, bland, uninspired.... Boring.

The Batman Begins moments are just annoying.

You heard the "leave no man behind" too eh? biggrin

What about King arthur and the last samurai? It's full of it!

However, i enjoyed it when i was in a brain-dead rc mode last week! shame
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

Ah, yes. Prominent and bold usage throughout on that wonderful main theme. Deeply recommended.

If you like real duduk, Jordi, leave film scores, enter the world of Djivan Gasparyan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BhelPuri wrote
    Marselus wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

I like whatever few Lee Dong Jun scores that I have. What do you think is a good price for 2009 Lost Memories?

I paid 13$ back in 2003 when I bought it from yesasia.

cry The cheapest I found available was at asiandb for $54

Yeah, he's a good lil Zimmer clone. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    NP : PLAYING BY HEART - John Barry

Interspersed with some excellent Chet Baker original tracks this score is fantastic late night jazzy chill music, smooth and sophisticated and full of melody. Just brilliant cool

This is actually one of my favourite Barry scores. Wonderful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : PLAYING BY HEART - John Barry

Interspersed with some excellent Chet Baker original tracks this score is fantastic late night jazzy chill music, smooth and sophisticated and full of melody. Just brilliant cool

This is actually one of my favourite Barry scores. Wonderful.

Indeed. This is one smoooooth score. Definitely one I'll play tonight. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    TREVOR RABIN - race to which mountain

Some scores should really be prohibited.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    First Blood - Goldsmith

What is it that I love about this score?
    I thrashed the LP back in 83. Even my mother loved the main title.
    There's so much here to enjoy.
    The wonderful "Long Road" theme, the propulsive action writing just name a couple of elements.
    This was the era of glorious Goldsmith. He could do no wrong at this time.
    His sequel Rambo scores were great too. But it's First Blood that holds a special place for me. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Atham wrote
    First Blood - Goldsmith

What is it that I love about this score?
    I thrashed the LP back in 83. Even my mother loved the main title.
    There's so much here to enjoy.
    The wonderful "Long Road" theme, the propulsive action writing just name a couple of elements.
    This was the era of glorious Goldsmith. He could do no wrong at this time.
    His sequel Rambo scores were great too. But it's First Blood that holds a special place for me. cool

The sequel scores, much like the films, were all-out masculine testosteronefests - which I love. The first one, much like the film, was a little more introspective and had some excellent lonely, sorrowful music - which I also love. Proper MAN MUSIC!

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Departed Howard Shore

The most un-Shore like Howard Shore score I've ever heard. I want to hear more stuff like this from him!
  2. Nautilus wrote

thanks!

NP:The English patient (Yared)

I don't know why but always thought this score was more "exotic", and I always thought the duduk was the main instrument. Weird...

Some really effective compostion for strings, but the piano themes annoys me a little bit.

I would recommend RUssia House too.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    The Departed Howard Shore

The most un-Shore like Howard Shore score I've ever heard. I want to hear more stuff like this from him!

Very, very good score indeed. Much unlike the Last Mimzy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Un Homme Et Son Chien - Philippe Rombi

If this is considered a 2009 release then I have found my score of the year! I know it's early but my God is this score GORGEOUS! It's a wonderful mixture of the sweeping and lush romantic sounds of Barry and Delerue with a hint of Williams. Superb!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

If this is considered a 2009 release then I have found my score of the year! I know it's early but my God is this score GORGEOUS! It's a wonderful mixture of the sweeping and lush romantic sounds of Barry and Delerue with a hint of Williams. Superb!

-Erik-

How to sale a score I haven't heard to me....

"it's a wonderful mixture of the sweeping and lush romantic sounds of Barry and Delerue with a hint of Williams"

SOLD! cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. That score just jumped to the top of my get list. I LOVE the two scores of Rombi's I already have. This one sounds fantastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Couldn't agree more! At last, more attention for this heartwarming gem!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

Totally agree. Tracks like "Main Theme", "The Ronin Myth" and "Good Knowing You" are a perfect example of great use of duduk (in a time when not every single score used it). A memorable main theme for one of the best movies of the 90´s.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Outlander (zanelli)

It's not even funny. (well, I laugh with "leave no man behind" moment thought)

It's mediocre, bland, uninspired.... Boring.

The Batman Begins moments are just annoying.

You heard the "leave no man behind" too eh? biggrin

What about King arthur and the last samurai? It's full of it!

However, i enjoyed it when i was in a brain-dead rc mode last week! shame

The Last Samurai moments are really scandalous. But didn´t Zanelli did additional music in that film?

Christodoulides wrote
    TREVOR RABIN - race to which mountain

Some scores should really be prohibited

Indeed, some releases are really useless.
  4. Indeed, Zanelli did one or two pieces. The Ninja Fight and The Final Charge which is just Pearl Harbor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Indeed, Zanelli did one or two pieces. The Ninja Fight and The Final Charge which is just Pearl Harbor.

.....where Zanelli did additional music too. Damn this is a Domino Effect!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I was playing:Arion Symphonic suite (Hiasahi)

Wow....Just wow!

Amazing!

NP:Princess Mononoke symphonic suite (Hiasahi)

Even More amazing....

Wow x 4 beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Living Daylights - John Barry

Super cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Indeed, Zanelli did one or two pieces. The Ninja Fight and The Final Charge which is just Pearl Harbor.

Well, yeah, it's THAT whole RC thing where every passing by an open door where somebody works on a certain scores, enters, hits a note or two in the keyboard and gets yet another credit. Impossible for a third person to sort out!
  5. NP: Big Trouble in Little China (John Carpenter & Alan Howarth)

For most this will cause a headache, for me it is just pure nostalgia wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. LSH wrote
    NP: The Living Daylights - John Barry

Super cool

Indeed, I listened to it too. I love the Afghanistan theme.
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Well, yeah, it's THAT whole RC thing where every passing by an open door where somebody works on a certain scores, enters, hits a note or two in the keyboard and gets yet another credit. Impossible for a third person to sort out!

Yes, Zimmer credits improvisation for example.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I don't know if this helps but I'm sure that there are 7 cues from 2009 Lost Memories available for downloading (from the cache) at RipTide Music's website.

Thanks! Gave a listen to the samples. Nice but not the kind of must-buy for me.

franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Talk to Her (Alberto Iglesias)

The ultimate classy fluff.

Gorgeous! And my fave Almodovar film!

Nautilus wrote

Anything by Armand Amar especially the middle-eastern themed scores. I don't think anyone uses the duduk more than him.
    Or try some Danna (Ararat)

Christodoulides wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    I like whatever few Lee Dong Jun scores that I have. What do you think is a good price for 2009 Lost Memories?

Yeah, he's a good lil Zimmer clone. wink

LOL! Listening to the sample (ITO Center JBL from 2009 Lost Memories) confirms exactly that! But to his credit his other scores like Tae Guk Gi and Lump of Sugar are very nice works.