• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Wall-e boring?!? DAMN!

No kidding! Boring? Pfffft! I was in awe!

-Erik-

Absolutely loved it. I thought it was gifted with qualities from past cinematic eras. Absolute gold.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Sorry, I typed wrong.

I mean Wall-E is a masterpiece! Sorry!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Milk - Danny Elfman

Some really beautiful stuff Elfman has written in here. One of his best scores of 2008.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Sorry, I typed wrong.

I mean Wall-E is a masterpiece! Sorry!

"I keep telling you, you listen to me more, you live longer!"

wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    ^ biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2009 edited
    NP: Knowing - Marco Beltrami

First listen... LOVE the pizzicato strings in the second track, "Door Jam." And those low jabbing Jaws like strings. What a fuc_king great track!!!

EDIT - Not a fan of the soft atmospheric writing... those delicate piano tracks are becoming very cliche... but when Beltrami turns on the action music he fuc_king knocks it out of the park. I'm currently listen to "New York" and here is yet another fine example of how big loud action music SHOULD sound like. You can be loud yet still manage to compose something with dynamic, clear and well thought out orchestrations so that the listener doesn't get a headache with constant pounding and noise.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire - Patrick Doyle

Some really good material in here. Tracks like The Story Continues, The Dark Mark, Golden Egg, The Black Lake, Voldemort and Death Of Cedric are great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Princess Mononoke Symponic Suite

Awesome.

Thanks Miya for the recomendation!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire - Patrick Doyle

Some really good material in here. Tracks like The Story Continues, The Dark Mark, Golden Egg, The Black Lake, Voldemort and Death Of Cedric are great!

I love this score, a shame that if Williams doesn't return that the producers didn't go to Doyle.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I read a rumour somewhere that David Yates asked a crowd if they wanted JW back for Deathly Hallows, and they screamed "YES!", and he told them JW will be returning. Just a rumour of course, I only hope it's true!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Knowing - Marco Beltrami

First listen... LOVE the pizzicato strings in the second track, "Door Jam." And those low jabbing Jaws like strings. What a fuc_king great track!!!

-Erik-

The end of that track, reminds me to Giacchino's lost, "EMT" to Goldsmith's Alien...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    I read a rumour somewhere that David Yates asked a crowd if they wanted JW back for Deathly Hallows, and they screamed "YES!", and he told them JW will be returning. Just a rumour of course, I only hope it's true!

Fingers crossed it's true!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Da Vinci Code - Hans Zimmer

I like to listen to this before going to bed. Chevaliers De Sangreal is so hauntingly beautiful!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Deep Blue (George Fenton)

WONDERFUL

this'll do just fine right now!!

beer punk lick punk beer

Upon seeing the documentary 'Earth' again, also scored by Fenton I wished it had the emotional depth and excitiment from this album. I love the quiet tracks just as much as the more bombastic ones.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just finished playing KNOWING by Marco Beltrami and this guy has hit the ball out of the park. The album could have been cut down a bit for better listening but what Beltrami has composed takes us back to some of the epic work he did on Hellboy! Beltrami leaves your jaw on the floor during the massive finale which includes "Caleb Leaves" - "Roll Over Beethoven" - the Goldenthalesque "New World Round" and "Who Wants an Apple?" Alex Proyas has never really been afraid of large, powerful music in his films and Beltrami delivers just that! Big, epic, dramatic music at it's best. There are many slower moving quieter piano/string based atmospheric cues that unfortunately aren't as interesting but I still think Beltrami has a real winner here and Knowing is easily one of the years finest efforts!

Up next...

Big Trouble In Little China - John Carpenter

80's nostalgia! Yeah!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Just finished playing KNOWING by Marco Beltrami and this guy has hit the ball out of the park. The album could have been cut down a bit for better listening but what Beltrami has composed takes us back to some of the epic work he did on Hellboy! Beltrami leaves your jaw on the floor during the massive finale which includes "Caleb Leaves" - "Roll Over Beethoven" - the Goldenthalesque "New World Round" and "Who Wants an Apple?" Alex Proyas has never really been afraid of large, powerful music in his films and Beltrami delivers just that! Big, epic, dramatic music at it's best. There are many slower moving quieter piano/string based atmospheric cues that unfortunately aren't as interesting but I still think Beltrami has a real winner here and Knowing is easily one of the years finest efforts!

-Erik-

Totally agree. As I said yesterday, all the score is really good, but the last four tracks you mention are VERY good. Big epic music at its best!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    STOP TELLING ME ABOUT GOOD SCORES I CAN'T AFFORD AT THE MOMENT!!! angry slant

p.s. not angry, just a bit frustrated by large bills I have to pay.
  1. DreamTheater wrote
    Deep Blue (George Fenton)

WONDERFUL

this'll do just fine right now!!

beer punk lick punk beer

Upon seeing the documentary 'Earth' again, also scored by Fenton I wished it had the emotional depth and excitiment from this album. I love the quiet tracks just as much as the more bombastic ones.

yep same here, Earth is a lot quieter, but this made me like it less than I really should, I was expecting another DEEP BLUE but alas shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Street Fighter The Legend Of Chun-Li - Stephen Endelman

My first listen to this new OST ... dunno what to think of it yet ...
    Lots of action tracks though ... gonna give it a few more spins first ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  2. Erik Woods wrote

punk
    I've been waiting for Beltrami to deliver another great score and it sounds like this could be the one! Thanks, Erik for the comments.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. NP: Some Came Running - Elmer Bernstein

I have to admit that I don't tend to get too far into this CD after hearing the raw, jagged title theme that Bernstein came up with for this movie. I remember seeing the title sequence on TV a while back and thinking "Wow, I have to have this score - I wonder if it's released in any form?" I was pleased to see that FSM had released it - and even more pleased to see that I had already bought it. shame
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. NP: Black Belly of the Tarantula (Ennio Morricone)

Yep, you read it correctly, man this dude scored every movie possible tongue

Typical stuff, or vocal led background music, or atmospheric, nothing too fancy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Black Belly of the Tarantula (Ennio Morricone)

Wow! Hadn't heard of this title.
    IMDB synopsis looks nice but there's no way to see these films unless you're in Europe and have the DVD. Netflix has a poor selection of these kind of Italian films.

Erm, any gasping, sighing and moaning sounds in the score? crazy
  5. BhelPuri wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Black Belly of the Tarantula (Ennio Morricone)

Wow! Hadn't heard of this title.
    IMDB synopsis looks nice but there's no way to see these films unless you're in Europe and have the DVD. Netflix has a poor selection of these kind of Italian films.

Erm, any gasping, sighing and moaning sounds in the score? crazy

isn't their always moaning in Morricone's scores? wink

It is pretty rare, and to be correct, it isn't that different from some other scores I've heard of him. But that can expected considering the wealth of scores he has to compose per year smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

punk
    I've been waiting for Beltrami to deliver another great score and it sounds like this could be the one! Thanks, Erik for the comments.

Cool start, loooonggggggggg mid-section that dominates in running time and drags significantly, and a great ending.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

punk

Cool start, loooonggggggggg mid-section that dominates in running time and drags significantly, and a great ending.

Agreed. "Door Jam" and "New York" are FANTASTIC (especially the latter - I love the decending motif at the beginning). The album then drags on for about a half hour and then picks up again at the end. A custom playlist will sort out any troubles though. cool
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2009
    Just finished: Haunted (Debbie Wiseman)

I'm in love. Just some really lovely music (particularly "Juliet's Theme") and while the small orchestra sound rears its head from time to time, it doesn't diminish the quality of the music. Although I think Wiseman's suite for "Something Here" will be enough for some listeners, mainly due to the larger orchestra used.

NP: Middletown (Wiseman)

The cello and violin solos make this album, but aside from those it feels repetitive with the same two themes being repeated over again. I do admire Wiseman holding back on the instrumentation (such as no woodwinds and hardly any percussion), which given the context of the movie's plot, makes sense. Still it's a nice listen.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  6. Wiseman's scores generally are enough for me in their SOMETHING HERE form (i.e. as a couple of themes), although a couple - such as WILDE and ARSENE - play well as full album. (And if you didn't have the full album of HAUNTED, you'd miss that great secondary theme for piano.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  7. NP: Kundun (Glass)

In a perfect world, there'd be 10 scores every year that were this distinctive and unique, film-fitting and musically-adventurous. But this is not a perfect world, and this score was a pretty rare beast.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Kundun (Glass)

In a perfect world, there'd be 10 scores every year that were this distinctive and unique, film-fitting and musically-adventurous. But this is not a perfect world, and this score was a pretty rare beast.

Good idea...

NP : KUNDUN - Philip Glass

cool