• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote

Up Next: U-571 - Jerry Golds... err... Richard Marvin

Shameless Air Force One rip off but what an entertaining ride!

-Erik-

Damn right! Again, hardly original but you cannot go wrong if you use a heroic action / suspense bomb such as AFO as a template.

How do you play your album Erik? In the order of the album or the film? For me the film's order is the only way to truly enjoy it. I just cannot get over the fact that an end credits cue is used as the main title. crazy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Up Next: U-571 - Jerry Golds... err... Richard Marvin

Shameless Air Force One rip off but what an entertaining ride!

-Erik-

Damn right! Again, hardly original but you cannot go wrong if you use a heroic action / suspense bomb such as AFO as a template.

How do you play your album Erik? In the order of the album or the film? For me the film's order is the only way to truly enjoy it. I just cannot get over the fact that an end credits cue is used as the main title. crazy

I listen to it front to back. I haven't seen the film enough to re-order the tracks. But the order is indeed odd.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2009 edited
    NP:Total Recall (Goldsmith)

it was one of the first scores I bought (with Broken Arrow). I loved the main theme and "the mutant" but I thought the music was too dissonant for my taste.

Since then I enjoyed more and more this score...and now it's one of my all time favourite scores.

Goldsmith synth never sound so good, and the action stuff is complex and vibrant. National Philarmonic shines!!!!!

"clever girl" is probably my favourite cue! punk

(williams you can learn from this score for your futuristic score, like minority report cool )
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    This is the sound that got me into film music, I just love this 80s Horner style, highly energetic and consistently thematic. While I have learned over the years the music is full of rips, I cannot deny its fun factor and its ability to tuck at the heart strings (the theme heard in 'Flying Szalinsky' and 'Night Time' is absolutely beautiful). Dammit, I want more of this kind of scoring. Original or not, I just don't give a flying f**k. cheesy It worked in the movie and it damn sure works on compact disc. punk

I agree with EVERYTHING you said. Original or not, Honey is probably one of the Honer's most enjoyable scores ever! What a ride!

-Erik-

expect a review soon you guys, because I got my copy AS WELL punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote

(williams you can learn from this score for your futuristic score, like minority report cool )

What garbage are you spewing now! Give me a fuc_king break, Jordi!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    This is the sound that got me into film music, I just love this 80s Horner style, highly energetic and consistently thematic. While I have learned over the years the music is full of rips, I cannot deny its fun factor and its ability to tuck at the heart strings (the theme heard in 'Flying Szalinsky' and 'Night Time' is absolutely beautiful). Dammit, I want more of this kind of scoring. Original or not, I just don't give a flying f**k. cheesy It worked in the movie and it damn sure works on compact disc. punk

I agree with EVERYTHING you said. Original or not, Honey is probably one of the Honer's most enjoyable scores ever! What a ride!

-Erik-

expect a review soon you guys, because I got my copy AS WELL punk

I expect nothing else but a smashing good review from you... And what to think of the speedy delivery from SAE, hey bud? I honestly wasn't expecting this for at least another week. (it came with 4 other soundtracks, all pretty much in stock).

Bicentennial Man (James Horner)

OK I must be in 'unoriginal but good nonetheless mode', because I had to listen to this one. Not as good as Honey, ... though. Containing tons of rips from Horner's earlier work, he works it around so you can enjoy it again. I'm able to look past it and enjoy the music as is. And no four-note danger motif??? Hot damn, he actually composed one without it. biggrin Not that the film needed it, right?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

What the hell!!! what happen with you now, Erik?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

That was a garbage and uninformed comment, Jordi. A Total Recall type score in Minority Report would have been totally wrong. I also find it hilarious to see you giving John Williams film music advice. Laughable!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

That was a garbage and uninformed comment, Jordi. A Total Recall type score in Minority Report would have been totally wrong. I also find it hilarious to see you giving John Williams film music advice. Laughable!

-Erik-

Why? because you say so?

Come one....Your opinion is so valid like mine.

Give me a break.

Why some people here thinks they have the real true of everything....?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, especially as Total Recall was a Poledouris rip-off anyway.

(<Sits back and watches the board go into meltdown>)

Been too involved in trying out new composers and scores to notice I've actually been missing my favourites and the ones that actually got me into soundtrack collecting QUITE a bit.

Back to back: First Blood and Rambo: First Blood II by Goldsmith (duh).
    Dammit. DAMMIT. I've missed this!
    It's like an old friend's come back to visit. Or finding that book you thought you lost.
    Or accidentally rediscovering a favourite taste you had forgotten.

Rollercoasters of emotion, tempered by a warm blanket of familiarity as Goldsmith displays a mastery of punctuating the emotive and the reflective as well as bashing out undiluted waves of blasting action, with themes to die for.
    These are the kinds of score that the phrase "they don't make 'em like they used to" was invented for.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: Quantum Of Solace - David Arnold

It's simple, it's occasionally cheesy, and it has an awful title song, but I'm loving it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : The Magnificent Seven - Elmer Bernstein

I've been watching 'The Magnificent Seven' DVD boxset over these last few days so I'm in a serious Bernstein mood ... biggrin Great classic stuff !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  3. Anthony wrote

It's simple, it's occasionally cheesy, and it has an awful title song, but I'm loving it!

you're right about the awful song rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote

lol So true!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: On The Waterfront - Leonard Bernstein

Brilliant! Classic!

(Goldsmith you can learn from this score for your crime drama scores, like L.A. Confidential cool )
    uhm Wait a minute...

-Erik-
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote

lol So true!

-Erik-

One single cue, guys!!!! shocked

C'mon that's no way to talk about a modern classic. wink
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote

lol So true!

-Erik-

One single cue, guys!!!! shocked

C'mon that's no way to talk about a modern classic. wink

whatever this guy says here biggrin
    A Mordern Classic, this is what today's music is lacking you guys, this is what filmmusic today is lacking
  6. Thomas Glorieux wrote

A Mordern Classic, this is what today's music is lacking you guys, this is what filmmusic today is lacking

QUOTE OF THE DAY !!!!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

QUOTE OF THE DAY !!!!!!!!!

Damn! I swear I had this one won with my retooling of Jordi's Williams Minorty Report post.

Dammed! wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Dammed!

No, but you are now eligible for the Nautilus Emulation Consolation Prize. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

I know some time ago I was mocked for questioning the use of bad language on the board when it wasn't really necessary.

But, go Erik! Sometimes it is necessary - and now is a good example!! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

I know some time ago I was mocked for questioning the use of bad language on the board when it wasn't really necessary.

But, go Erik! Sometimes it is necessary - and now is a good example!! wink

Actually, the use of fuc_king is another shot at Jordi where he made an attempt to censor himself from saying the F word and that's how he did it!

lol

I too don't like seeing the questionable language on the board but like you said sometimes you have to bring out the big guns in full glory to get your point across!

-Erik-
  8. And saving them for times like this heightens the effect!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Suite from King of Kings (7:23) - Miklos Rozsa
    Nürnberg Symphony Orchestra conducted by Elmer Bernstein

Before I leave to pick up the wife and kid I had to give this MASSIVE suite from one of the greatest scores a spin! Wow! Big, BIG sound! An excellent performance and a fantastic selection of cues. BTW, this comes from the Miklos Rozsa - A Centenary Celebration album.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I greatly enjoy questionable language.
    The more dubitable the better,

There's no emoticon compares to language that is infinitessimally impugnable.
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Suite from King of Kings (7:23) - Miklos Rozsa
    Nürnberg Symphony Orchestra conducted by Elmer Bernstein

Before I leave to pick up the wife and kid I had to give this MASSIVE suite from one of the greatest scores a spin! Wow! Big, BIG sound! An excellent performance and a fantastic selection of cues. BTW, this comes from the Miklos Rozsa - A Centenary Celebration album.

-Erik-

Listening to a clip from that suite it does sound good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

Actually, the use of fuc_king is another shot at Jordi where he made an attempt to censor himself from saying the F word and that's how he did it!

lol

-Erik-

Oops! i didn't notice that! shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

THIS is post of the day! biggrin beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Anthony wrote

you're right about the awful song rolleyes

Compared to Madonna's "effort" the song is a veritable Diamonds Are Forever or Goldfinger in comparison.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt