• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    Nice batch of reviews, Thomas, but I don't really share your enthusiasm for ARTICLE 99. Except for the main theme, it isn't much to write home about. Basically lots of meandering "mood" tracks that foreshadow the "complex writing" he would refine in MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE and onwards.

Also, if there are ANY Elfman scores that should get the "full points", it would be the socalled "Holy Trinity" of scores - BATMAN, EDWARD and NIGHTMARE. They are the must-haves for all film score fans, really, at least those with even a MINIMAL interest in Elfman's work.

Article 99 for me was a surprise, because first of all I wasn't expecting a theme like that, and secondly, it held the wacky and sombre score to a minimum (for me at least), so for me it was more positive than negative

Batman is indeed a must have, that's why I find it so weird it is rated so low confused
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Thor wrote
    Nice batch of reviews, Thomas, but I don't really share your enthusiasm for ARTICLE 99. Except for the main theme, it isn't much to write home about. Basically lots of meandering "mood" tracks that foreshadow the "complex writing" he would refine in MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE and onwards.

Also, if there are ANY Elfman scores that should get the "full points", it would be the socalled "Holy Trinity" of scores - BATMAN, EDWARD and NIGHTMARE. They are the must-haves for all film score fans, really, at least those with even a MINIMAL interest in Elfman's work.

Article 99 for me was a surprise, because first of all I wasn't expecting a theme like that, and secondly, it held the wacky and sombre score to a minimum (for me at least), so for me it was more positive than negative

Batman is indeed a must have, that's why I find it so weird it is rated so low confused

Is it rated low? I haven't noticed that, really. Quite the contrary.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote

rated 3.58, for a score that is quite easily a classic
    I find that low
    at least it must receive a 4 star rating
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Thor wrote

I find that low

Oh, you were talking about the rating here at maintitles, not in general? Well, Elfman isn't very popular around these parts, for some reason. I'm not sure how "representative" we are, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Thor wrote

I find that low

Oh, you were talking about the rating here at maintitles, not in general? Well, Elfman isn't very popular around these parts, for some reason. I'm not sure how "representative" we are, though.

I love him! And I think he's got even better since the "holy trinity" you mentioned. I love Batman to bits, but Spider-Man and especially its sequel are my favourites of his in that genre.
  3. Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Thor wrote

I find that low

yep, because of that I was surprised to see the rating here, considering it is worshiped overall smile
  4. So after years of searching, I was finally able to get the complete unedited songs Sooner or Later, Live Alone and Like It, What Can You Lose, Back in Business, and More from the Dick Tracy soundtrack by Stephen Sondheim.

While Elfman's score is great, it was always missing something without those 5 songs. I can die happy now.
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009
    Grimble Gromble wrote
    So after years of searching, I was finally able to get the complete unedited songs Sooner or Later, Live Alone and Like It, What Can You Lose, Back in Business, and More from the Dick Tracy soundtrack by Stephen Sondheim.

While Elfman's score is great, it was always missing something without those 5 songs. I can die happy now.

Hmm...didn't realize those songs were so hard to come by. I only have the Elfman score album myself. Never bothered tracking down the other 3-4 soundtracks for this one, as I'm no big Sondheim fan. But good for you.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Well some of the Madonna ones had been released on one of her albums that wasn't an official soundtrack, but I never really saw it in stores. Plus the tunes were album versions and altered from the film versions. The film version of Back In Business however had never been released and that's the main one I was looking for.

It all came from Stephen Sondheim: The Story So Far which came out last year. Having them all in one place was nice. Also now that I've loaded them to my comp, I'm going to add them to Elfman's score. I'm very happy now.

EDIT: The Sondheim 4 cd collection cost about $30 on amazon. Not bad considering it spans his life. In stores it would have been 50 something. If a person just wanted the Tracy songs, that's quite a price to pay. Now I can mix them with the score and it'll feel more complete.

*cough* if anyone would like to discuss this further just pm me this one time *cough*

On the subject of Danny Elfman though, I really look forward to Alice In Wonderland. I wonder how he'll change it up from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory though. While there's plenty of differences, there's numerous similarities in themes.
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2009
    In a hugely depressing bit of news, Danny Elfman has seen his score for Wolf Man rejected and he will be replaced by... Paul Haslinger. Well, how wonderful. Great move.
  6. Southall wrote
    In a hugely depressing bit of news, Danny Elfman has seen his score for Wolf Man rejected and he will be replaced by... Paul Haslinger. Well, how wonderful. Great move.

Grrrr!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Really? I don't know much about Haslinger's scores. Surprising.
  7. Southall wrote

Please tell me this is a joke -- what a terrible choice in replacement, and a score I was looking forward too!

EDIT:

Never mind -- just read the bad news. angry
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    First Coragliano now Elfman. Ugh!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    This was a perfect project for Elfman and one score I was really looking forward to. Weird what happened all of a sudden.
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2009 edited
    Well, it was brewing for a while. I just wonder what I can do with my session pix!
    http://twitter.com/scoringsessions/status/5274981354
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

what?! Where's the link?

The industry is seriously sick, replacing Elfman with Haslinger, that's the stupidest thing ever!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Here's the link to the unfortunate news - http://www.cinemusic.net/2009/11/06/dan … oundtrack/

F**k whoever was responsible for this. explode

Will Elfman's score at least be released?? Like Varese rleased Goldsmith's Timeline? PLEASE!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2009 edited
    It's actually pathetic. Whatever Elfman wrote, is bound to be at least better than what Haslinger will come up with. I am really worried of such notions that reject scores just because they sound "old fashioned" and not "modern enough", which stands for "good and orchestral with themes" vs "synthetic electronic and guitar-led rc-sounding crap". IF that's the case behind it, that is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Look what that article says -

"Elfman has already written and recorded what, by all accounts was a traditional, grandly gothic effort a la Kilar’s Bram Stoker’s Dracula."

WANT
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    See? My point above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Apparently yet another brilliant test screening audience didn't agree... angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Joe Johnston took time in 2008 (before Elfman was announced) to wax poetic about Elfman as his composer:

“If Danny Elfman does do it, I’m going to basically just let him run loose. I’m going to run the movie for him without music and without the temp track and say, “Do what you have never done before and see what comes out of it.” I think he’s fantastic. I can still listen to his score for Beetlejuice.”

Yes, yes......
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    At least Corigliano was replaced by someone decent. There can't be many higher insults to a film composer than telling him he's worse than Paul Haslinger.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed, it's really not a matter to be taken lightly. It's seriously worrying stuff...new trends taking over in our beloved Hollywood. rolleyes

Imagine if Horner's AVATAR got rejected the last minute?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I guess the thing is, the film has been delayed for so long, it probably isn't very good; and this is what studios generally do in such circumstances. I can't really believe the director had anything to do with this (look at the quality of composer and score in his previous films). Elfman recorded his score ages ago, apparently (perhaps Dan can confirm that).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    2012 is nearing us!
    Kazoo
  8. Southall wrote
    I guess the thing is, the film has been delayed for so long, it probably isn't very good...

In which case a "traditional, grandly gothic effort" would be a bit boost for a sub-par movie in this genre?

Execs! rolleyes
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. Mikael, can you try to release the score in your label?? smile Or whovever can? smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website