• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2009
    It all sounds pretty cut 'n' dried to me, and Dan nailed it: the producers/studio, faced with something that to all intents and purposes doesn't seem to go out and be a big hit, evidently wanted to "modern" the film up with a "game score like electronic growling noisy mood sound" (which appears to be the new screeching violins/theremin in horror cliches), while Elfman, having been let loose by the director (in his own words) apparently came up with the thing Elfman comes up best with: grand, Romantic gothic sound, which is horror old hat.

An unfortunate, but understandable (from a studio's point of view) turn of events.

Oh well. Looking forward to his Alice In Wonderland.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. If anyone's interested in this sort of thing, I've just posted a photo of a movie poster hanging in a corridor outside one of the Abbey Road Studio's recording studios that's signed by Danny Elfman:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … 747#bottom

Suggests that Charlie and The Chocolate Factory was recorded there.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2009
    dgoldwas wrote

I really liked what I heard at the Elfman scoring session back in September, but even THEN the whole post-production was walking on egg-shells. When the news finally broke last month, it wasn't all that surprising. Disappointing, yes, but not surprising.

I'm pretty shocked to hear this. I thought Elfman had found a hole in his schedule where he could fit in The Wolfman in the past few months (I honestly thought they'd lock the picture at this point because of the delays and such), and that Joe Johnson would get what he wanted.

Disappointing news indeed. But I wouldn't be surprised if some of Elfman's score makes it through the temp-track and squashed alongside Haslinger's work in the released film.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2010
    Alice In Wonderland seems to be getting a CD release. It's marked as "Various Artists", so dunno how much score is on there.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2010
    DemonStar wrote
    Alice In Wonderland seems to be getting a CD release. It's marked as "Various Artists", so dunno how much score is on there.

At a guess I'd presume some Elfman penned songs featuring various artists?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010 edited
    Here's some official info direct from the Disney Records website -

"BUENA VISTA RECORDS PRESENTS ALMOST ALICE FEATURING OTHER VOICES FROM WONDERLAND

ALBUM INTRODUCES FIFTEEN NEWLY RECORDED SONGS IN A WHIMSICAL TAKE ON
    LEWIS CARROLL'S WONDERLAND INCLUDING AVRIL LAVIGNE'S "ALICE (UNDERGROUND)"

ALMOST ALICE AND ALICE IN WONDERLAND ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK AVAILABLE MARCH 2, 2010

Buena Vista Records will release two albums capturing the wonder of Lewis Carroll's beloved books and visionary director Tim Burton. ALMOST ALICE is a 16-song compilation featuring ALICE IN WONDERLAND'S end credit track "Alice (Underground)" written by Avril Lavigne and produced by Butch Walker. Danny Elfman composes the score for the original motion picture soundtrack. Hot Topic will issue an exclusive version of ALMOST ALICE which includes two bonus tracks. All three albums will be released on March 2, 2010. ALICE IN WONDERLAND comes to the big screen in Disney Digital 3D™ on March 5, 2010 (U.S. theaters).

The ALICE IN WONDERLAND soundtrack captures the musical landscape Danny Elfman masterfully created for the highly anticipated Tim Burton film starring Johnny Depp, Anne Hathaway and Helena Bonham Carter. Elfman has established himself as one of Hollywood's leading film composers and has written close to 50 film scores featuring his unique sound, including Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Milk, Chicago, Batman, Spiderman, Men in Black, Edward Scissorhands and Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

ALMOST ALICE boasts an eclectic array of recording artists with original songs based on some of the most charismatic characters in literary history, such as "In Transit" performed by Mark Hoppus and Pete Wentz. Other artists include The All-American Rejects, Shinedown, 3OH!3, Franz Ferdinand and All Time Low. "Very Good Advice" performed by Robert Smith, is the only song from Disney's 1951 animated film "Alice in Wonderland" that appears on the collection.

Coming to the big screen in Disney Digital 3D™ on March 5, 2010, ALICE IN WONDERLAND is an epic 3D fantasy adventure starring Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter and Mia Wasikowska as 19-year-old Alice, who returns to the whimsical world she first encountered as a young girl, reuniting with her childhood friends: the White Rabbit, Tweedledee and Tweedledum, the Dormouse, the Caterpillar, the Cheshire Cat, and of course, the Mad Hatter. Visit the official site for more info at Disney.com/wonderland.

The track list for ALMOST ALICE is as follows:

1. Alice (Underground) Performed by Avril Lavigne
    2. The Poison Performed by The All-American Rejects
    3. The Technicolor Phase Performed by Owl City (previously released)
    4. Her Name Is Alice Performed by Shinedown
    5. Painting Flowers Performed by All Time Low
    6. Where's My Angel Performed by Metro Station
    7. Strange Performed by Tokio Hotel and Kerli
    8. Follow Me Down Performed by 3OH!3 featuring Neon Hitch
    9. Very Good Advice Performed by Robert Smith
    10. In Transit Performed by Mark Hoppus with Pete Wentz
    11. Welcome to Mystery Performed by Plain White T's
    12. Tea Party Performed by Kerli
    13. The Lobster Quadrille Performed by Franz Ferdinand
    14. Running Out of Time Performed by Motion City Soundtrack
    15. Fell Down a Hole Performed by Wolfmother
    16. White Rabbit Performed by Grace Potter and the Nocturnals

The track list for ALMOST ALICE was released exclusively to www.myspacemusic.com today. ALMOST ALICE and the ALICE IN WONDERLAND Original Motion Picture Soundtrack will be available March 2, 2010 wherever music is sold."

That last line seems to be a good omen and indicate there will be a CD release of the score, too. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010
    Yes. In fact, the CD cover has already been released:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/6 … SS500_.jpg
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The artist name at Amazon has also changed from "Various Artists" to "Danny Elfman".
    • CommentAuthoradam
    There's only one Danny Elfman score I truly love... Edward Scissorhands. It has been copied a million times, but it's still special. That said, I also love the 'breakfast machine' song from Peewee's Big Adventure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    adam wrote
    There's only one Danny Elfman score I truly love... Edward Scissorhands. It has been copied a million times, but it's still special. That said, I also love the 'breakfast machine' song from Peewee's Big Adventure.

If you're only going to like only one Elfman score, that's certainly not the worst one to like! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh, for sure! My dustbin likes it too biggrin tongue
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Oh, for sure! My dustbin likes it too biggrin tongue

It's strange to see such a gorgeous, beautiful score - one of the most haunting of all time - being disliked. It's almost as if someone told me they hated pizza or sex! I'm sure it happens, but it's strange.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm an Edward Scissorhands fan, but I will concede that it's clearly not for everyone, especially if you don't like that fairytale, Christmasy, tragic type of style that Elfman used.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    I'm an Edward Scissorhands fan, but I will concede that it's clearly not for everyone, especially if you don't like that fairytale, Christmasy, tragic type of style that Elfman used.

Sure, but how is it possible NOT to like that?

Humans...strange creatures.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote

A question I've pondered many a time, particularly on this forum! dizzy
    • CommentAuthoradam
    Yeah, you'd have to hate that whole sound -- Scissorhands is the pinnacle of it. On another note, the score to Milk is good. The main titles music is kinda special.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

I can take it but only in small doses.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

--------> vomit <---------

(I have nothing more to add, see? See!)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. FSM is reporting, much to my excitement -- and I am sure the excitment of others -- Elfman's rejected score to "The Wolfman", is being re-instated in the film!!!

Bring on the CD!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010
    justin boggan wrote
    FSM is reporting, much to my excitement -- and I am sure the excitment of others -- Elfman's rejected score to "The Wolfman", is being re-instated in the film!!!

Bring on the CD!

I heard this a few weeks ago. At the time, I was told that the filmmakers needed someone else to rework Elfman's score because the film had been re-cut and while they wanted his music back in, he was either unable or unwilling to do it himself. I wonder if anyone can update us on that?
  3. Someone at FSM is saying two composers came in and did about 25 minutes of score (one of those being Williams' orchestrator, Conrad Pope).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    Southall - no, that's pretty much all there is to it. It's a bit of a mess, but I suppose that means I can post my Elfman WOLF MAN scoring session pix after all! YAY!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010 edited
    Had Paul Haslinger composed any replacement music before Elfman's score was brought back into the film?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    FSM is reporting, much to my excitement -- and I am sure the excitment of others -- Elfman's rejected score to "The Wolfman", is being re-instated in the film!!!

Bring on the CD!

punkpunkpunkpunkpunk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Brilliant news!
    I am extremely serious.
  4. What a relief!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    This is hilarious! biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Indeed. A re-acceptance of a previously rejected score? (who was doing the replacement score by the way?)Had it happened before?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Paul Haslinger ( no, me neither ).