• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2010 edited
    hehe, cool! cool

"La-la-la-la-la-la...bum-bum-bum-bum....didli-didli-didli-didli..."
    "GENIUS!!! Your best yet!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    The Nightmare Before Christmas is a masterpiece I revisit very often.
    It's just an absolute joy, and one of the most creative things ever put together (and now I'm not even mentioning the wonderful film the score accompanies!). I absolutely adore it.

Absolutely. I consider it part of the Holy Trinity with BATMAN and EDWARD SCISSORHANDS.

I love ALICE too, esp. how he combines his Burtonisms with his mature, post-SERENADA SCHIZOPHRANA/Pilipp Glass sound. The "Alice" chorus sounds very much like the "I Forget" movement from that concert piece.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010
    I think about 4 songs of Nightmare are instant classics. Oogie Boogie, What's This, Sandy Claus and of course This is Halloween are awesome. Singing them all the way through.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010
    His "mature, post-SERENADA SCHIZOPHRANA/Pilipp Glass sound" combined with his classic writing style is what makes his music so impressive during the last 2-3 years, imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2010 edited
    Great new interview about Elfman's scoring process - http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/03/29/ … ny-elfman/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010
    Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010
    DemonStar wrote
    Great new interview about Elfman's scoring process - http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/03/29/ … ny-elfman/

To be honest, I found it to be a rather boring interview, a very "been there, done that" experience in terms of the questions asked and responses given (what inspires you? do you read the script first? how do you stay fresh? how's it like working with tim after all these years? blah, blah, blah....). Elfman can manage to squeeze a couple of new things in there nonetheless, but the interview was pretty stale, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Review of The Wolfman is now online
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2010 edited
    The story concerning The Wolfman is a known one, but let's tell it anyway. Danny Elfman gets hired for the job, hoorays are heard all across the country. Danny Elfman scores and records the score. Producers realize it is the best thing of the entire film. Producers face humiliation and fire Danny Elfman. Boos are heard all across the country. Paul Haslinger gets hired instead. Laughter is heard all across the country. Paul Haslinger scores the picture that eschews the orchestra for a harder approach, making it grittier but not classier. Producers realize it is now the worst thing of the entire film. Producers face laughter and so fire Paul Haslinger to reinstate Danny Elfman once again. Hoorays are heard all across the land.

It's funny 'cause it's true! smile
  2. Artworks wrote
    The story concerning The Wolfman is a known one, but let's tell it anyway. Danny Elfman gets hired for the job, hoorays are heard all across the country. Danny Elfman scores and records the score. Producers realize it is the best thing of the entire film. Producers face humiliation and fire Danny Elfman. Boos are heard all across the country. Paul Haslinger gets hired instead. Laughter is heard all across the country. Paul Haslinger scores the picture that eschews the orchestra for a harder approach, making it grittier but not classier. Producers realize it is now the worst thing of the entire film. Producers face laughter and so fire Paul Haslinger to reinstate Danny Elfman once again. Hoorays are heard all across the land.

It's funny 'cause it's true! smile

hehe, that's why it wrote it wink
  3. Actually, it's not true. Elfman was NOT fired from Wolfman; Joe Johnston never wanted to use a different score. It was all to do with post-production schedules, and the fact that the film was being pushed back and back, being re-edited and having new special effects added, so that Elfman's cue timings didn't fit the film anymore.

He didn't have time to re-work his score to fit the new cut of the film because he was involved with Alice in Wonderland, so the producers - reluctantly - hired Paul Haslinger to write a replacement score. However it was Haslinger's replacement score that was rejected for being bad, NOT Elfman's original. So, rather than have Hasligner's poor replacement in the film, they decided to use Elfman's original music after all, and hired Conrad Pope and Ed Shearmur and several others to come in and re-work Elfman's original material to fit the new edit.

Really, Thomas, if you want to be taken seriously, you need to get your facts straight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2010
    Jon Broxton wrote
    However it was Haslinger's replacement score that was rejected for being bad

Pretty natural, isn't it? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2010 edited
    I fail to see any factual contradictions between Thomas' version of events and Jon's. The former is simply a sarcastic parody while the latter is factual and more detail-oriented. They're the same story smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. Jon Broxton wrote
    Really, Thomas, if you want to be taken seriously, you need to get your facts straight.

I think I made myself clear I never want to be taken seriously, as Scribe describes it, my reviews are usually sarcastic, funny and entertaining, well sometimes entertaining wink

it's nice to know the real deal now concerning The Wolfman though
  5. How factual can one be short of contacting Elfman or the director? Sometimes we have to go with what we can find. It's up to folks in the know to provide corrections. Come on, really -- corrections are made everyday outside the internet; price labels, speeling errors, news paper articles, etc.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. If you're the main reviewer for one of the four main English-language film music review websites in the world, I would think you'd spend a little time doing some research before you write. Spelling errors are one thing. Basing the entire premise of your review around something which is factually incorrect is something else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Are there only 4 websites with English film music reviews? And we're one of the main ones?

punk

We work on the spelling errors Jon, it's not easy. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2010
    Send them to me, I don't mind checking reviews for spelling and grammar mistakes... in fact, I derive an unhealthy amount of joy from it.
  7. Jon Broxton wrote
    ...hired Conrad Pope and Ed Shearmur and several others to come in and re-work Elfman's original material to fit the new edit.

Jon, on this point, were the re-worked cued re-recorded? Or just re-cut.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. A bit of both, Alan. Pope wrote a fair amount of new original music in Elfman's style, and some of the others were digitally re-edited.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Jon Broxton wrote
    If you're the main reviewer for one of the four main English-language film music review websites in the world

MainTitles is one of the four main review websites?
    While I love the idea, I seriously -SERIOUSLY- doubt that (although I have no data. It *could* be true, I guess, but I rather think nobody would have suspected such a turn of events. As far as I'm aware nobody is looking at this site very seriously, aside from a handful of regulars).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. No, it's absolutely true. The four most-visited English-language review-specific film music websites in the world are Filmtracks, Movie Wave, my site, and this one.

FSM is not a review-specific site, and you have to pay to access to magazine, so that doesn't count.
    SoundtrackNet is not a review-specific site anymore.
    Cinemusic and Soundtrack Express are barely updated anymore.
    Soundtrack Collector has reviews, but is more of a database.
    I'm not counting blogs.

So, yeah, basically, me, Clemmensen, Southall and this place are the only ones left which are primarily review-based, free, and in English.

That's why it pains me so much to see Thomas writing reviews like the Wolfman one, because it looks so unprofessional and badly produced and has a "couldn't care less" attitude.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2010
    Well, as Thomas presumably isn't paid for any of his efforts, and everything here is a labour of love, I'm not particularly bothered with any "unprofessionalism". Surely the punters will find you for that.

Thomas himself has made abundantly clear it's all just a bit of fun, and I'm perfectly happy to take him at his word.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2010 edited
    We are a fan based community and no pros at all. That shouldn't mean spelling mistakes are allowed so to speak. Stavi now and then helps and if Steven wants to do that, i'll let him know how. (after this weekend dizzy )

As for the subject matter: the score has been rejected.
    Kazoo
  10. Jon Broxton wrote
    That's why it pains me so much to see Thomas writing reviews like the Wolfman one, because it looks so unprofessional and badly produced and has a "couldn't care less" attitude.

Well, I'm an amateur so it can never be professional, badly produced? Hmn perhaps but I always said I can't deliver the same quality as the other top sites

and the thing about couldn't care less about is, I don't care what people think of me, if they think I'm horrible, that's their impression and I respect that, but that doesn't mean I deliver "couldn't care less" reviews, because then everything would be wrong, from info to the mentioning of themes.

And I read somewhere that The Wolfman was rejected, I would never make that up. It was a bit exaggerated in the end, but that's been my style from the start, it seems some people love it, some people hate it. At least my reviews are different from the rest, which I'm very proud off. That means I put my own style, enthusiasm and heart into constructing them. If that means I write badly produced reviews, then I must work even harder to improve on that matter. But don't forget, English is not my primary language. Sometimes I'm even proud I write so decent at all. wink

John, I respect your experience and talent wholeheartedly, but I will never change the way I write reviews, because that's my style, I can only improve upon constructing them

Ps, if I would have that care less about attitude, then the overall rating of the members wouldn't be so goddamn equal with my own rating in most occasions, which means I might write badly produced reviews, but I least I know how to rate filmmusic. And if you say that we are one of the top 4 visited review sites (way to go Bregt smile) , then it means that people seem to accept and appreciate the way we present our reviews here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010 edited
    After all the claims how the film version of Wolfman differed from the version as heard on album, I was under the impression that the soundtrack presented the original score, as composed by Elfman, whereas the film was 'plagued' by the additional music. However, having bought the CD today, I saw in the booklet that the tracks 6, 8, 13 and 16 all contain additional music composed by Shearmur and Lindgren! Something I haven't seen mentioned in any review, including Filmtracks' one. Haven't heard the score yet, though (except for the highly enjoyable Wolf Suites), nor seen the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    And I read somewhere that The Wolfman was rejected,

This was what a knowledgeable pundit shared with me:
    Elfman's score WAS rejected - it wasn't a scheduling conflict at that time. The scheduling conflict arose when Elfman was asked to rework his score after Haslinger's replacement score was itself rejected and he was busy with Alice by then. And Shearmur wrote his additional score when Elfman was originally engaged, not after he was brought back. And Conrad Pope didn't base any of his additional score around any of Elfman's, it was completely independent
  11. Well, the problem I wonder about that makes me doubt that story is:

Haslinger recorded his score late December. Elfman recordedc "Alice" very shortly after that. "the Wolfman" didn't open until February 12th (in the USA, though it premiered January 27th in Italy). If we take Italy's premiere date, and that Elfman only needed to rework a little, and he has Bartek and others that can assist with additional, or just getting hte job done more quickly, seems to me there was enough time for just 30 minutes or so of fixed scoring -- especially considering he could have just kept pieces very similar and just insert new parts. I think the ultimate truth may lie in the unspoken: the film was crap, he doesn't want to say it, and didn't want to go back to work on it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  12. Steven wrote
    Send them to me, I don't mind checking reviews for spelling and grammar mistakes... in fact, I derive an unhealthy amount of joy from it.

Believe me, it takes a less than a year for the joy derived to wear thin. wink

And for Thomas's sake, you have to write these things in a way that appeals to you, otherwise you don't keep it up for long. Jon obviously likes a professional aspect, and his critical role in the IFMCA speaks to that too. Thomas is having his own kind of fun. It's not always my idea of a good read, but there's a review site out there for me when I need it.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  13. franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote

And for Thomas's sake, you have to write these things in a way that appeals to you, otherwise you don't keep it up for long. Jon obviously likes a professional aspect, and his critical role in the IFMCA speaks to that too. Thomas is having his own kind of fun. It's not always my idea of a good read, but there's a review site out there for me when I need it.

the thing is, everyone has his own personal style. Meaning, if people really want to get an up close and personal detailed review, they will find what they are looking for in the known review sites. I try to put more humour into my reviews, more personal impressions and that's what separates it from the rest. Meaning, people have the chance to read multiple reviews of the same score, but different impressions instead. That for me makes it all worth it.