• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2010
    I don't want to be too much carried away here, but I think Wolf Suite #1 sounds amazing! A year from now, when we all look back on 2010, this might be one of the coolest movie themes of the year. "I have foreseen it!" smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2010
    The clips sound bloody marvelous! This is the genre Danny is most comfortable in and if it is indeed true that Joe Johnson gave Elfman free reign to do what ever he wanted and create that Gothic score to top all Gothic scores then I can honestly say that we as film music fans are in for one helluva ride!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2010
    I don't think there exist many film composers out there who can surpass him in this genre. Can't await to hear this!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2010
    I think I might be looking forward to his Wolfman score more than his Alice in Wonderland score, but both have so much potential that it makes it hard to decide.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I prefer dark Elfman over fluffy / quirky Elfman anytime wink (IF wolfman is darker and alice is quirky that is wink)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    As with any Elfman score I'll keep my ears open. Neither of these ( Alice & Wolface ) fill me with expectent joy.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    I don't think there exist many film composers out there who can surpass him in this genre. Can't await to hear this!

Interestingly, though, he hasn't done horror often. The only straight horror film I can think of is SLEEPY HOLLOW, in fact. Yes, many of his scores have a "dark quality" about them, but it will be great to hear him branch out in a PURE horror idiom.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Interview with Danny over the Alice In Wonderland score - http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocom … rland.html
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    As with any Elfman score I'll keep my ears open. Neither of these ( Alice & Wolface ) fill me with expectent joy.

Having listened the clips sound promising.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorWDWGuy08
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2010
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

Having listened the clips sound promising.

what clips? the alice in wonderland score clips? where did you hear them at?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2010
    The Wolfman clips, they're very short and on the Varese site.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2010 edited
    Track samples of Alice In Wonderland are now up here.

I'm lovin' what I heard so far, folks! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2010
    DemonStar wrote
    Track samples of Alice In Wonderland are now up here.

I'm lovin' what I heard so far, folks! cool

Cool! Thanks for the heads-up.

By the way, here's an article I wrote on the whole Wolfman debacle (pr. my Musings thread):

http://montages.no/2010/02/elfman-vs-wo … et-musikk/
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2010
    I was just alerted to a recently posted youtube clip of the indie film PROUD IZA from 2008, which features music by Danny and - interestingly - his performance as the voice of the cat!

The music seems to come from Serenada Schizophrana and S.O.P., mostly, but I think I hear some original music in there too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__Q98rm7tJc

Cool!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    More clips and track lengths of Alice In Wonderland here.

...short tracks overload? slant
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Not as many as a John Powell score.

(You hear that? I didn't say Thomas Newman!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Not as many as a John Powell score.

(You hear that? I didn't say Thomas Newman!)

You should have though wink I don't think anyone surpasses Newman when it comes to short cues!
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2010
    DemonStar wrote
    More clips and track lengths of Alice In Wonderland here.

...short tracks overload? slant

Wau, "Alive in Wonderland" is a real beauty! A truely great score! Especially the first piece is a fantastic composition for choire... almost opera like!
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2010
    I bought the CD Alice in Wonderland today and I was completely flabbergasted by the opening cue. Simply wow.

The rhythm of the strings evoking the voyage or traveling that Alice goes through. Everything is so good and infectiously memorable in that cue. The appropriately very British choir that sings from beginning to end. The kudos to the Philip Glass sound are present while Elfman's style still shines through.
    Some notes remind me of his own "Black Beauty" also.
    I'm really looking forward to catch the movie in IMAX 3D also.

(Mad) Hats off to Elfman smile Wow wow wow!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tintin wrote
    I bought the CD Alice in Wonderland today and I was completely flabbergasted by the opening cue. Simply wow.

Indeed! Another brilliant Elfman song to add to his resume... but this one is right close-up to his all time best! My Lord it's fan-friggin-tastic!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Erik Woods wrote
    Tintin wrote

Indeed! Another brilliant Elfman song to add to his resume... but this one is right close-up to his all time best! My Lord it's fan-friggin-tastic!

-Erik-

I was on repeat many times throughout the day and when he does the main theme in action mode, it is quite thrilling .
    This opening cue will probably be part of compilations in the future. It is that good. I don't know if this is written for the main titles or arranged for the CD but it could easily be an anthology piece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Erik Woods wrote
    Tintin wrote

-Erik-

Cool! The opening cue is available for free download by Amazon MP3 today. Just got it now!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    To repeat what I said in the musings thread, here's my most ambitious montages.no article yet, a retrospective of Elfman's and Burton's collaboration, including a review of their latest film, ALICE IN WONDERLAND:

http://montages.no/2010/03/elfman-i-bur … rospektiv/

Again, though, you'll have to use Google translate to get the gist of it, as it's in Norwegian.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. New scoring assignment:

http://filmmusicreporter.wordpress.com/ … /#more-198
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2010
    I can't see what's go great about the Alice main theme, but it's been in my head all day!
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Anthony wrote
    I can't see what's go great about the Alice main theme, but it's been in my head all day!

THAT's so great about it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BasilB wrote
    Anthony wrote

THAT's so great about it!

Bingo!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    But it's "meh"!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2010 edited
    Anthony wrote
    But it's "meh"!

Hell no! This isn't Giacchino's Star Trek theme we are talking here. There is a lot going on in Elfman's theme!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2010 edited
    Anthony wrote

It's cinematic and magical. 2 qualities we rarely get today. It reminds eras past.

I've been warming up greatly to the whole Elfman score for Alice. It's pretty wonderful, one cay say. It's essentially his older trademarked sound, only more mature than ever. Absolutely delightful, he surely is one of the most notable composers working around. You can say that the last 3 years have been extremely good for him. beer