• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. DemonStar wrote
    NP: Crimson Tide - Hans Zimmer

Contains some very powerful themes by Hans, very enjoyable listening experience.

One of my personal favourites. If I could take 3 Zimmers with me to a deserted island, this would be one of 'em. Powerful anthems and friggin' amazing action music.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2009
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:GI JOE (Sivestri)

I love this loooooooooong action tracks. lick

It's the kind of score wich Brian Tyler is scoring again and again.

Where a big orchestra meets electronics, without very much melody and a lot of orchestral ourbusts.

Give me Silvestri anytime, even with his re-used motifs.

Apocalyptic, futuristic and action packed comes to my mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2009 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Contains some very powerful themes by Hans, very enjoyable listening experience.

One of my personal favourites. If I could take 3 Zimmers with me to a deserted island, this would be one of 'em. Powerful anthems and friggin' amazing action music.

I'm going to have to agree with Sunil on this one. Crimson tide had, especially when it came out, one of the coolest, most testosterone-filled themes ever. I loved how it started with one theme, went to a second theme, equally as cool, and then played them together simultaneously. That theme, found in the opening and closing tracks, and maybe the lyrically unintelligable hymn in the middle are the highlights of the album. Altogether they probably make up 5 minutes of great music. Every other minute of music on that album is horribly dull. And to get that theme from the first track you have to wait for how long? Then it finally shows up, and then it's gone and you're back to boring music again. To further hurt the score, that sound, and nearly that same theme, have been reused by Zimmer and Co. enough times now to where it's really lost something. When my sister thought the Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl music was so great I played parts of Crimson Tide and Gladiator for her. At first she thought it was still Pirates. When she learned they were all to different films scored by the same company, her expression changed. "That's kind of dumb," she told me. Yeah.

So, I'm not wild about Crimson Tide anymore. I still like those few parts I mentioned earlier, but I would easily call it my least favorite Zimmer album that I own. Despite what I said about Gladiator, if I could only have 3 Zimmer scores, that would be one, as would Pirates: AWE (infinitely better than the first score), and Prince of Egypt, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Agree with the inconsistent album presentation. But I've kinda got used to it listening to it so much. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    christopher wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I'm going to have to agree with Sunil on this one. Crimson tide had, especially when it came out, one of the coolest, most testosterone-filled themes ever. I loved how it started with one theme, went to a second theme, equally as cool, and then played them together simultaneously. That theme, found in the opening and closing tracks, and maybe the lyrically unintelligable hymn in the middle are the highlights of the album. Altogether they probably make up 5 minutes of great music. Every other minute of music on that album is horribly dull. And to get that theme from the first track you have to wait for how long? Then it finally shows up, and then it's gone and you're back to boring music again.

It's one of those rare case where Hans scored the movie using music as purely underscore. I happen to like how it has tons of ideas, albeit never fulfilled and synthesized. I like how the themes weren't just plastered all over the movie, so when it appears, it's significant.

BTW, here's the wiki article on Eternal Father Strong to Save.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_Fa … ng_to_Save
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Backdraft - Hans Zimmer

Show Me Your Firetruck = one of the most awesome Zimmer themes EVER! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    Fantastic track!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I wouldn't take 3 Zimmer's to a deserted Island.

I would take Megan Fox, Scarlett Johansson and Eva Green.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I just popped into my bedroom (they're preparing) and they said they wouldn't want to go with you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Backdraft - Hans Zimmer

Show Me Your Firetruck = one of the most awesome Zimmer themes EVER! punk

Yeah, that one's his best I would say.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I just popped into my bedroom (they're preparing) and they said they wouldn't want to go with you.

Those cardboard cinema props usually talk to you do they?
  2. NP: GI JOE -- Alan Silvestri

How can I enjoy such a uninspired average Silvestri score?
    Easy, I just enjoy it shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: GI JOE -- Alan Silvestri

I think the same. shame dizzy punk
  3. Nautilus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

ah good, then I'm not alone beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

No - your mind evidently works in exactly the same way as Jordi's. Congratulations!
  4. Southall wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

No - your mind evidently works in exactly the same way as Jordi's. Congratulations!

I must be the BAD Kirk then wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

I must be the BAD Kirk then wink

KHAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Can James shout it?
    Yes, he KHAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2009 edited
    I KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN't!!!!

I just play it....

NP : STAR TREK II : THE WRATH OF KHAN - James Horner

punk

I managed 2 whole days without playing it
  5. The Ron Jones Project
    CD: Into the Brave Night

A few years ago on a Jones label called Emotif, he released a few CDs called "The Ron Jones Project".

I bought this out of curiousity once, since at the time I could not find samples online anywhere and thought taking a chance here would be worth it.

The music is sythesized. It's got the synth sound of 80's Silvestri synth works, with the Vagelis feel, but ultimately unless you're a heavy synth score lover (like certain FSM people who's wants lists include every Faltermeyer score), it's not worth a purchase.

Ontop of it, some tracks are long and jsut go on forever. One track is 9:02 in length.

A lot of it sounds dated -- even for the time of the CD issue, which shows the year 1996; MArk Snow was regularly doing better things with synths weekly on "The X-Files".

Anybody who actually wants this, feel free to PM me.

Earlier tried out "Krull" again. Failed as miserably as it did the last time I gave it "another chance".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I know whatcha mean bud, Krull is nearly as bad as Raiders of The Lost Ark.
  6. Clint Mansell - The Fountain

VERY addictive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009
    Timmer wrote

Yup. It's right down the bottom of the trash heap along with The Empire Strikes Back and Star Trek: The Motion Picture as far as scores go!
    tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: KRULL - James Horner
    punk
  7. Atham wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yup. It's right down the bottom of the trash heap along with The Empire Strikes Back and Star Trek: The Motion Picture as far as scores go!
    tongue

I loathe all those scores... Everytime I play 'em my two buckets are full before the first track has ended. vomit vomit
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    NP: KRULL - James Horner
    punk

I pray that you recover Atham.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Atham wrote
    Timmer wrote

tongue

I loathe all those scores... Everytime I play 'em my two buckets are full before the first track has ended. vomit vomit

My buckets are full just thinking about them vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Can you add a forth person in there? One specific mate of yours? angelic
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Clint Mansell - The Fountain

VERY addictive.

And works wonders in the film! Have you watched it? Loved it, very captivating experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Well, only difference is that KRULL is actually buckit-able. wink