• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009
    Robinson wrote
    Hi Tim!..So good to see you again.
    Hope you are doing well my friend!!

You too. beer

I'm doing fine....even better now that Star Trek II arrived today wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    You are right Erik, nothing to say...........except, Play. It. Again.

NP : STAR TREK II : THE WRATH OF KHAN - James Horner

punk

Still waiting for my own copy to arrive. Maybe tomorrow?

Along with this are two Goldsmith CDs featuring music I'm not too familiar with, so even with Goldsmith gone there are still new releases for me to try.

I received a parcel today featuring Star Trek II and two Goldsmith albums featuring music I'm not too familiar with. (Haven't listened to any of them yet.) I promise it IS the one I ordered and not yours!

Damn!

Did you also get a Johnny Williams CD that you're also not too familiar with? rolleyes
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobinson
    Timmer wrote
    Robinson wrote
    Hi Tim!..So good to see you again.
    Hope you are doing well my friend!!

You too. beer

I'm doing fine....even better now that Star Trek II arrived today wink

Hmmmnn.. Enjoy it, I know you will smile
    I will continue here with "Up"..can't get enough of it hehehehe
    Robinson
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Did you also get a Johnny Williams CD that you're also not too familiar with? rolleyes

No (though I can guess what it was and look forward to reading your report since I've been on the fence about buying it).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009 edited
    SAE sent me a free bonus Johnny Williams disc that I'm not too familiar with along with Trek II for being thier best customer ( at least I think that's why they sent it??? ) biggrin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Robinson! Where have you been? Is everything all right there?
    Kazoo
  2. Timmer wrote
    SAE sent me a free bonus Johnny Williams disc along with Trek II for being thier best customer ( at least I think that's why they sent it??? ) biggrin wink

Nooooooooooooooo !!!!!!! I thought I was their best customer. crazy

Have your fun with Williams. angry

tongue wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009 edited
    face-palm-mt ummmmm, read a few post above mine Gilles ( FalkirkBairn ), you'll see it's not to be taken seriously. wink
  3. Haha I knew that cheesy wave

Just trying to enjoy myself dear (The Psychiatrist). tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Bolt (powell)

I can't say I prefer this one over his most crazy animation scores (For example, Horton). But Bolt is a great come back to his more balanced style we heard In Paycheck or Evolution.
    DemonStar wrote
    Yup, really fun score. Great main theme and very good action writing too. Love it!

I've seen the movie tonight and i can't believe how people prefer all over the place, disorganized and messy mickey mousing over proper grand themes, proper thematic, motific and melodic development and coherence that is the Bolt score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Robinson wrote
    Listening to Giacchino's Up and the gorgeous track called "Stuff we did".
    This is a great score that I personally have enjoyed very very much...

Hey mate, welcome back! wave Up is gorgeous, Bolt is gorgeous, i could easily live without the rest of the Powell scores though smile
  4. NP: Miracle At Midnight - William Goldstein

My first experience of Goldstein - and having a listen through some clips at some of his discography there's quite a variety to his music!!

Miracle At Midnight is a TV movie from 1998 starring Sam Waterston and Mia Farrow and is set in Nazi-occupied Denmark.

This is orchestral in nature, quite a small ensemble by the sound of it, and is definitely worth a listen. Dramatic as well as rather more low-key there is a hint of ethnicity (hinting at the Jewish subject matter).

If I have time I've also got my second foray into Goldstein's music: The Miracle Worker, another TV movie (2000) - a remake of the 1962 Arthur Penn-directed movie (with a worthwhile score penned by Laurence Rosenthal).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009 edited
    NP: The Miracle Worker - William Goldstein

Switched over to sample this TV score - and it's a stunner!

A score for a relatively small ensemble (including woodwinds, strings & acoustic guitar) it's a heartfelt score that sounds, to me, imbued with a subtle Americana feel without being out-and-out patriotic (if that makes sense).

Another Goldstein worth checking out if you're looking to branch out to a new composer.

EDIT: Flicking between this Goldstein score and Laurence Rosenthal's score for the movie of the same name I'm wondering if these scores are from the same adapted play(?). Rosenthal's score sounds so oppressive and menacing!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - James Horner

I have been, and always shall be, this score's friend. One of the all-time greats.
  5. Southall wrote
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - James Horner

I have been, and always shall be, this score's friend. One of the all-time greats.

I try to talk enthusiastically about a couple of scores I've discovered today, trying to put out of my mind that everyone else has received their own personal copies of one of the greatest releases of 2009 and you go and do this to me James.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Still playing:

STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN

Simply magnificent. I pity those who aren't listening to this right now.
  6. Southall wrote
    Still playing:

STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN

Simply magnificent. I pity those who aren't listening to this right now.

Damn you, James. Damn you to hell!

NP: D-War - Steve Jablonsky

A nice variation on the Dies Irae tune.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Timmer wrote
    Blue Planet is just as good Miya cool

Never heard of it... is it another BBC documentary? Not Planet Earth?

deep... blue... planet... earth... ummmmm dizzy cheesy
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Miya wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Blue Planet is just as good Miya cool

Never heard of it... is it another BBC documentary? Not Planet Earth?

It's the tv series from which the film "Deep Blue" was assembled. Great show - and music.
  7. It's a little confusing. Am I correct with the following?

Deep Blue is the movie version of The Blue Planet.

Earth is the movie version of Planet Earth.

I think both feature films are wonderful on their own, as I'm only known with those.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009 edited
    NP: Treasure Planet - JNH

I hadn't played this for a while. I enjoyed the opening track more than before, which starts with celtic sound and turns into adventurous orchestral music with electric guitar. I remember when I heard this exciting main theme first time in the movie, I was like "wow!" cool

I also love some other tracks containing epic adventurous music, To The Spaceport, The Map, Jim Saves The Crew. The Launch is the best of all, it really lift up the sequence. The quiet moments are also nice, but cartoony music on several tracks are not enjoyable on album (even for me wink).

The ending is very disappointing... both in the movie and on the album. I don't think traditional jig is the best way to finish this adventure story... rolleyes

I'm thinking to check out Atlantis, because I heard many saying it's great (not sure about the movie, the only one modern Disney animated feature I haven't seen wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    I missed Planet Earth when it was aired, also missed Earth in theaters. I'll watch it sooner or later.

I didn't know about Blue Planet, but I might have seen it if it was aired on NHK (I've seen several nature documentaries from BBC there)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Miya wrote
    I missed Planet Earth when it was aired, also missed Earth in theaters. I'll watch it sooner or later.

I didn't know about Blue Planet, but I might have seen it if it was aired on NHK (I've seen several nature documentaries from BBC there)

Haven't seen them either, but PLANET EARTH contains some of the most impressive, some even brilliant - musical moments by George Fenton; a real orchestral gem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Miya wrote
    I'm thinking to check out Atlantis...

DO!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Miya wrote

DO!

One of those scores I didn't really like on first hearing but paid out good interest on later listens, a very good score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    LSH wrote
    Miya wrote

DO!

I will! biggrin

I found a new copy sold at ¥100 (about $1 dizzy ) on amazon marketplace. I can't order it now (I'm leaving home next week) but I will buy it for sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Atlantis has to be my top favourite JNH score of all time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DemonStar wrote
    Atlantis has to be my top favourite JNH score of all time!

Exactly, its really superb animation score by James Newton Howard.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I never liked Atlantis. Thought it was a disappointment after the excellent Dinosaur.