• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2009
    I've been waiting nearly a month for my copy of Lonely Are The Brave!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    I'm always deeply in two minds about it.

In the late eighties I saw a documentary about World War I veterans.
    Many were already of course well advanced in years, and not a few deeply traumatised still.

Can't remember much about it, except the ending, when the interviewer asked one of the veterans
    "Sir, what are you looking forward to?"
    And the veteran, a man in his late eighties, pretty stoic up to that point, suddenly choked up and, tears rolling down his face said: "the day I don't have to talk about it...think about it."

Pretty much devastated the rest of my evening.
    It took quite a bit of port getting over that comment.

Unbelievably powerful Martijn. We can only thank others that it is not us.

I wonder if we should set up another thread for such an interesting yet harrowing topic? I suspect that everyone here has been affected by these tumultuous events that in the course of history is not far in our recent past, from WW I onwards.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Wojciech Kilar - Fantome avec Chauffeur

Brilliant! I wasn't sure what to expect with this score since there's little info about it. The cover looks like it might be a comedy. But boy oh boy! This has some of the dark textures like Koenig Der Letzten Tage along with some intense passages like Orawa. And there's some lighter stuff like Le Roi et L'Oiseau too!
    This one goes straight into my top 20 scores!
  1. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    beer

Yeah, the world - or at least Europe - IS quite different now than it was those long years, hell, even twenty years ago.

beer smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BhelPuri wrote

Brilliant! I wasn't sure what to expect with this score since there's little info about it. The cover looks like it might be a comedy. But boy oh boy! This has some of the dark textures like Koenig Der Letzten Tage along with some intense passages like Orawa. And there's some lighter stuff like Le Roi et L'Oiseau too!

I wasn't overly impressed by this one ( and I'm a fan of Kilar ), maybe I'd better give it a reappraisal!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Grizzly Man - Richard Thompson

Score for a documentary about wildlife activist Timothy Treadwell. Mainly consists of acoustic guitar, makes a nice, pleasant listen.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The film is fascinating. Have you seen it Ravi?
  2. It's the Werner Herzog documentary, isn't it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I haven't yet seen it, but I read about the man and it's very interesting (and tragic). Will watch as soon as I can.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    It's the Werner Herzog documentary, isn't it?

Yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Timmer wrote
    The film is fascinating. Have you seen it Ravi?

I'm dying to see it. Heard it was amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BhelPuri wrote

I lke Kilar's music a lot. I'm going to have to check this one out! Thanks!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Chocolat ~ Rachel Portman

I like the theme of the North WInd. It's like it sweeps you up with it. Wonderful, just wonderful.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BLACK BEAUTY - Danny Elfman

Lovely. One of my very favourite Elfman's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Christus Apollo (Jerry Goldsmith)

Not my cup of tea at all.

Well the final track surely is superb. But other than that one, this is a helluva difficult listen. It's very complex, without theme and inaccessible, unlike most of his film-related material. Shows how much more tricks he had up his sleeve, yet never had the chance to show them. All in all not one that will get many spins from me.

Anyone here that can enjoy this for the first 5 tracks?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote

Pretty much impossible. If you comprehend the shit Goldsmith was going through during that time in his life then you will understand why Christus Apollo sounds the way it does. I can't get through it and in all honesty I have the album only for the OUTSTANDING "Fireworks" piece.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Goldsmith wanted to experiment with serial music, that's what I've read. What was he going through then?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    It's a great score Pawel, and a fine film, I quite fancy watching this again, maybe I'll watch The Right Stuff first ( now that's an even better film. )

I prefer Apollo over Right Stuff. I was actually bored with some of the longer sequences in the Right Stuff. It could have used a trim in the editing room. I have no interest in revisiting it. I didn't have that problem with Apollo. The pacing was perfect!

-Erik-

I too love Apollo; i find very little to none - cases where i want to press the skip button. That score is proper old-fashioned film music bliss.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Are you talking about the movie too? I wouldn't call the score too old-fashioned. It's the Horner modern sound in full gear, one of the last uses of it too. He would return to that sound in a more avant-garde mode in Flightplan. I don't want to talk about Ransom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's that late 90's Horner and film music i love, it's not meant in a bad way!
  5. I know, I also love the oldfashioned sound AND the 90s, but it's not the old-fashioned Horner, like, say, All the King's Men or even Legends of the Fall (which has a very Alfred Newman/John Barry breath to it). Horner used his trademark modern thriller sound for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009 edited
    NP: The Fountain - Clint Mansell

I'm listening to "The Last Man" at the moment - with the remnants of my Talisker.

Where's that :crying: smiley?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Fountain - Clint Mansell

I'm listening to "The Last Man" at the moment - with the remnants of my Talisker.

Where's that :crying: smiley?

Beautiful, sensitive scoring, isn't it?
  6. Resident Evil 5 (Kota Suzuki & Wataru Hokoyama)

Now this sounds a lot better than the official soundtrack, which is another sleep-generating piece of crap if you ask me, and it comes on 3 CD's shocked

This short version is fully orchestral, mostly action-based and very Williams-esque as people here have already stated. One particular cue instantly reminded me of The Lost World, same rhythm and very similar instrumentation, I think those who have heard this will know which one.
    Being it so short, I'm curious if any other music orchestrated this way would exist in the game? I'll have to keep my ears open when I'm gonna go through it. Someday.

Thanks to Anthony for this. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    One particular cue instantly reminded me of The Lost World, same rhythm and very similar instrumentation,

Hey! angry Such attitude can get you banned 'round here. tongue wink
  7. Why? bunny
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    One particular cue instantly reminded me of The Lost World, same rhythm and very similar instrumentation,

Hey! angry Such attitude can get you banned 'round here. tongue wink

Hell no, I didn't use the word 'plagiarize' nor 'borrow', now did I? tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    It's a great score Pawel, and a fine film, I quite fancy watching this again, maybe I'll watch The Right Stuff first ( now that's an even better film. )

I prefer Apollo over Right Stuff. I was actually bored with some of the longer sequences in the Right Stuff. It could have used a trim in the editing room. I have no interest in revisiting it. I didn't have that problem with Apollo. The pacing was perfect!

-Erik-

I too love Apollo; i find very little to none - cases where i want to press the skip button. That score is proper old-fashioned film music bliss.

You misread D, I was talking about the films. Apollo 13 wins hands down as a score.

Now pay attention.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Pretty much impossible. If you comprehend the shit Goldsmith was going through during that time in his life then you will understand why Christus Apollo sounds the way it does. I can't get through it and in all honesty I have the album only for the OUTSTANDING "Fireworks" piece.

-Erik-

Totally agree Erik.

What was the 'shit' JG was going through at that time?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

You misread D, I was talking about the films. Apollo 13 wins hands down as a score.

Now pay attention.

It was rather a general comment on APOLLO 13 score, taken by the fact that you guys mentioned it smile The film's ok although i am not wetting my pants over it. The score though......mmm mmmm!