• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2009 edited
    Setting aside a couple of misplaced or misused words, do you still understand what i am saying? It's not just utilizing a style, those could easily be pieces from a John Williams score, the same way you suggest that Zimmer copied (or whatever other word you might want to use) Mike Oldfield 160bpm and so on.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote

It's like this here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mzfnCwOa8k the ubeda bso spirit hymn or whatever it's called. Where's the spirit in that? I am not suggesting writing music is easy and i am a musician too, i know the difficulties first-hand, but staying so close to Williams has always been a safe-route out with the film score fans 'cause you know they will probably not bash you, rather the contrary.

Not the greatest thing I've ever heard but it enjoyable.

And since when is writing in a Williamsesque style SAFE? I'd say that if you can write in that style and do it well then you are ahead of the game.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, evidently it's safe; of all the composers out there, old and forgotten or young and upcoming, Wataru wouldn't be exactly in the first place of interest realistically speaking, if he was - say - writing in the sound of Zimmer or anyone else besides Goldsmith / Williams, would he? I am not saying he isn't good; i am saying i'll turn my head and ears to him when he starts developing a style and persona. I think people are over-doing it with his case, so far.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, evidently it's safe; of all the composers out there, old and forgotten or young and upcoming, Wataru wouldn't be exactly in the first place of interest realistically speaking, if he was - say - writing in the sound of Zimmer or anyone else besides Goldsmith / Williams, would he? I am not saying he isn't good; i am saying i'll turn my head and ears to him when he starts developing a style and persona. I think people are over-doing it with his case, so far.

Zimmer's "sound" is about as safe as you can get. However, when Zimmer is good and inspired his stuff is extremely original and very very good. But it's the Jablonsky's and Djawadi's of the world that that take the absolute worst of the Zimmer sound and continue to utilize it in their uninspired efforts. It has become a laughable cliche.

As for Wataru, at least he has the chops to write fully symphony scores with memorable full developed themes... a lot art if you ask me. I don't think fans are over doing it. What people are recognizing is a young composer with talent that is trying to utilize a style that has for some odd reason become almost extinct in the film music world. We are in a time dominated by the Zimmer/RC sound and composers like Hokoyama, Kaska, Tilton, Seiter, O'Malley, Gordon, etc are trying desperately to bring back a sound that a majority of film music fans fell in love with when they first discovered film music; fully symphonic, colourfully orchestrated, memorable themes.

Utilizing a particular "style" has never bothered me... it's what you do with that style which is what interests me.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. James Horner - Apollo 13[/big]

One of his very best scores. If Braveheart gets the kudos for its epic, Celtic character and the great themes, Apollo 13 is the more restrained and intelligent scores. To me both of them are actually on the same level, playing big parts in their respective movies (Apollo 13 is probably my favorite Ron Howard film with only Frost/Nixon coming close) and good listens on the album (I am listening to the promo right now).

I am in the mood for this score, because I watched the film again and it was as great as the first time I've seen.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's a great score Pawel, and a fine film, I quite fancy watching this again, maybe I'll watch The Right Stuff first ( now that's an even better film. )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE FURY - John Williams

Full of magnificent Williams goodness.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    It's a great score Pawel, and a fine film, I quite fancy watching this again, maybe I'll watch The Right Stuff first ( now that's an even better film. )

I prefer Apollo over Right Stuff. I was actually bored with some of the longer sequences in the Right Stuff. It could have used a trim in the editing room. I have no interest in revisiting it. I didn't have that problem with Apollo. The pacing was perfect!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: In memory of and respect for those now passed over into history, the Verdun 1916 segment from The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles - Joel McNeely

Without comment.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I know this should be posted on the 'other' thread but in lieu of what Martijn just posted I feel it's justified posting here.

NP : SYMPHONY # 3 'Pastoral' - Ralph Vaughan Williams

RVW wrote the sketches for this while an ambulance driver on the WW I battlefields of France.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nice one, Tim.
    Following your lead and switching to that one once McNeely's finished.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Noble and good sentiments and thoughts boys. We should always honour the ones who fought for us.

You're words reminded the first scenes from Narnia. So that's is what I'm going to play. Heroic for the deeds and soft as a lullaby for those who left.

NP: The Chronicles of Narnia - The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe ~ Harry Gregson-Williams
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I love the whole symphony Martijn, the 2nd movement in particular with the trumpet solo is almost unbearably moving and tragic and yet ends in a possitive and hopeful note
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I had not listened to it properly before.
    It's a beautiful and deeply unsettling work (though I grant that a lot of that sentiment stems from knowing its origins).
    I seem to be more partial to the third movement: the brass is as a tidal wave of emotion.

Stavroula wrote
    You're words reminded the first scenes from Narnia. So that's is what I'm going to play. Heroic for the deeds and soft as a lullaby for those who left.

Well done you, for joining in.
    I have always felt a feeling shared helps immensely in experiencing the importance of a moment in time that might otherwise just be...lost.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's very sad to think that there'll come a day when the very last WW II veteran will pass into history and many here will be around to witness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm always deeply in two minds about it.

In the late eighties I saw a documentary about World War I veterans.
    Many were already of course well advanced in years, and not a few deeply traumatised still.

Can't remember much about it, except the ending, when the interviewer asked one of the veterans
    "Sir, what are you looking forward to?"
    And the veteran, a man in his late eighties, pretty stoic up to that point, suddenly choked up and, tears rolling down his face said: "the day I don't have to talk about it...think about it."

Pretty much devastated the rest of my evening.
    It took quite a bit of port getting over that comment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    That's really harrowing. My grandfather, who I adore entirely, is 89 years old and a WWII veteran himself. He has shared many a story about his experiences, none of which leave me unimpressed by any margin. He is a legend to me and I will miss him so much when he eventually passes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I don´t know exactly how to say that, and probably I don´t have the right to say anything about this at all, but I am and will be eternally thankful to every veteran who fought against "us" in WW II, since it´s their heroism that made it possible for me to live in a free, democratic country.

Both of my grandfathers fought in WW II (on our side, of course), but lived to tell their side of the story. They, as many others, were quite young and simple folk who just did what they were told (as if they´ve had a choice not to). Those were no easy times for anyone, and a lot of the awful stuff happened because too many people just looked the other way, because it was more safe to look the other way.

I am thankful to our "enemies" of then who have become such good friends in the now that they had the courage and the wisdom not to yield, but to insist to remove this abomination from our world. Bless them.

NP: Clint Mansell - The Fountain
    After watching the movie last week, I had to give this score another spin. I think I like it even more now. Quite hypnotic, very sensual. A perfect score for ... yeah, for that exactly.
  2. Everybody makes their fair shares of mistake and the bigger one is, the bigger the mistakes are. Not only Germany got rid of the evil people who somehow managed to rule this country - and as a Pole I tell you that I have NO REASONS to hate the nation, I do hate NAZIS, but somehow I am able to put it in the right historical context and don't treat people like NPD as speaking for everyone in the country.

What I find really wonderful is that, aware of what can bring people to atrocities, Germany has joined the peacekeeping process in full force, your presence in the United Nations and in Afghanistan is something commendable and I applaud it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2009 edited
    beer

Yeah, the world - or at least Europe - IS quite different now than it was those long years, hell, even twenty years ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2009
    JP: DESPERATE MEASURES - Trevor Jones
    It's pretty obvious Jones composed this right before he would start with Dark City: if the dark and brooding atmosphere doesn't give it away, then surely the use of Dark City's main motiv, here even more taking center stage, does. It makes this widely overlooked yet certainly enjoyable effort a perfect companion piece to its far superior successor, even though it's not as developed and lacks some strong themes. These shortcomings may make the score seem quite hollow at times, yet for fans of Jones' dark side the grand, almost gothic sound will be enough to grab the attention up untill its final lighter moments.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    ^
    The track Chase is fircken amazing. Especially while running. cheesy
  3. BobdH wrote
    JP: DESPERATE MEASURES - Trevor Jones
    It's pretty obvious Jones composed this right before he would start with Dark City: if the dark and brooding atmosphere doesn't give it away, then surely the use of Dark City's main motiv, here even more taking center stage, does. It makes this widely overlooked yet certainly enjoyable effort a perfect companion piece to its far superior successor, even though it's not as developed and lacks some strong themes. These shortcomings may make the score seem quite hollow at times, yet for fans of Jones' dark side the grand, almost gothic sound will be enough to grab the attention up untill its final lighter moments.

That's the Michael Keaton/Andy Garcia thriller, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    ^
    yep

Micheal Keaton cool
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Sea Hawk
    Korngold
  4. omaha wrote
    ^
    yep

Micheal Keaton cool

One of rare cases when he played a villain, isn't it? (in a cool Travolta-like fashion, if I remember well)
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Haha, Keaton's cool in everything. cool

Travolta is compared to him. wink

But yes, a rare case where he gets to play a good villain.
    I really want to see Marry Gentlemen.
  5. Jerry Goldsmith - Lonely Are the Brave

An early and good score by the master. GREAT theme.
  6. PawelStroinski wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith - Lonely Are the Brave

An early and good score by the master. GREAT theme.

lick

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive. Looking forward to hearing it in full.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Listening to my newest completed compilation (#5):

STAR TREK 3: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK (James Horner)
    1. "Stealing the Enterprise" 8:34

SPACE: ABOVE & BEYOND (Shirley Walker, R.I.P.)
    2. "Main Title" 0:34

RENO!: 911: MIAMI (Movie; Craig Wedren)
    3. "New Uniforms" 0:37

EXPLORERS (Jerry Goldsmith, R.I.P.)
    4. "The Construction" 2:32

KNIGHTS OF THE TEMPLE (video game; Gustav Grefberg)
    5. "I Believe I Saw An Angel" 4:16

1492: CONQUEST OF PARADISE (Vangelis)
    6. "Conquest of Paradise" 6:08

FX: THE SERIES (TV series, Season 1 theme; Christophe Beck)
    7. "Main Title" 1:26

THE MISSION (Ennio Morricone)
    8. "Gabriel's Oboe" 2:38

MEN IN BLACK 1 (Danny Elfman)
    9. "K Reminices" 0:48

BLACK BEAUTY (Danny Elfman)
    10. "Jump For Joy" 1:00

MEN IN BLACK 1 (Danny Elfman)
    11. "Finale" (EDIT: first 1:59)

NON SCORE (By instrumental artist Moby)
    12. "My Weakness" 3:38

THE MISSION (Ennio Morricone)
    13. "On Earth As It Is In Heaven" 3:50

HERMAN USA (TV movie; Stephen Graziano)
    14. "The World Hears About Herman" 1:16

JURASSIC PARK 1 (John Williams)
    15. Self-made suite of edited and re-arranged parts of a longer cue 6:10

RED DWARF (Season 3 opening prologue; Howard Goodall)
    16. "Prologue" 0:48

STAR TREK: VOYAGER (Jerry Goldsmith, R.I.P.)
    17. "Main Title" 1:45

DRAGONHEART 1 (Randy Edelman)
    18. "To the Stars" 3:14

FINAL DESTINATION 2 (Shirley Walker, R.I.P.)
    19. "Blow-Out" 1:40
    20. "Kimberly's Lake Premonition" 1:59

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE (Jerry Goldsmith, R.I.P.)
    21. "Spock's Arrival" (alternate; not the version used in the film) 2:05
    22. "Ilia's Theme" 3:02

THE X-FILES (TV series, cue name is episode name; Mark Snow [arranged by John Beal])
    23. "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" 4:12
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.