• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009 edited
    Miya wrote
    NP: Ice Age: The Meltdown - John Powell

Dawn Of The Dinosaurs is out this weekend cheesy And BOLT next weekend, finally! I'm getting busy

Are the films usually released in English with subtitles, or dubbed?

Anthony wrote
    Panthera wrote
    NP: Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs - John Powell

This is my first listen. It isn't immediately standing out, but I'm sure I'll love it over time.

It gets better when Buck's new theme comes into it. And the end credits = wow!

I've been playing this score a lot in the last two days. I love Buck's theme, especially when it is heard in Campfire Stories. And the End credits are great. I'm also happy that old love song was incorporated throughout the music and film to represent the squirrel romance.

[b]DemonStar wrote
    NP: Spirit: Stallion Of The Cimarron - Hans Zimmer

Playing it especially for Run Free which was stuck in my head today. Immensely enjoyable, adrenaline pumping and yet carefree sounding track! punk

Such a good track. I feel like animated movies often inspire composers to produce some of their best music.

NP: Finding Nemo - Thomas Newman

This makes good music to listen to before going to bed. It is peaceful and relaxing, and overall very pleasant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    Miya wrote
    those names are TMed by Yamaha and Kawai dizzy I

As a side note to that there was a -slightly over the top, but still very engrossing and interesting and certainly very watchable (recommended!!)- documentary about copyright and the "remix culture" on TV yesterday...it's amazing how much of the stuff we take for granted in everyday life is actually copyrighted or trademarked, with the potential for insane lawsuits (though admittedly that happens mostly in the lawsuit-happy US of A).

Did you know that the song "Happy Birthday" is actually still copyrighted, and that Warner Bros, if they were so inclined, could sue the pants off anyone using it? (They're not, as this would probably finally push the whole outdated copyright system over the brink, but still...the idea is harrowing! And they are still collecting fees for its commercial use in films et cetera. slant )

Hahah interesting; some merry men in that country - i am sure, must have already copyrighted the sound of farting too; if not, i am giving them ideas.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stavroula wrote
    NP: Amelie ~ Yann Tiersen

Sweet, relaxing and filled with beautiful melodies. Ideal for a hot summer day... like a cool breeze. smile

Very emotional, heartfelt music; it's marked me, really, for various personal reasons going on at the time, but my connection with it aside, it's still one of the simplest but simultaneously most recognizable and effective modern works!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    NP: You Must Remember This Too

Gregg Nestor's guitar (and company) rendition of several Golden Era score classics.
    Building squarely on his first Miklos Rozsa tribute album, this new album tackles Newman, Korngold, Rozsa and others in a similar vein. Being a lifelong fan of the acoustic guitar, this, like the first album, is a wonderful amalgam of two favourites coming together: film music and guitar.

The arrangements are very good in a mostly neo-Romantic fashion (reminding me often of Todesco or Villa-Lobos!). The choice of pieces to transfer to guitar is -logically- generally limited to the more melodic/traditional of musical pieces (dances like bourrées or pavannes or love themes lend themselves of course wonderfully to this medium), but the album holds a few surprises: the opening of Gold's It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (the original being a very fifties' madcap semi-Mancini-esque flourish) is handled quite delicately, and Tiomkin's A President's Country (the original being a thunderous orchestral potpourri of Tiomkin western themes) is now a rather more introspective suite, even though its western roots are still acknowledged by the inclusion of David McKelvy's harmonica playing. All involved are clearly having a ball with the source material.
    The only complaint on the latter piece: the whip sound is mixed in quite loudly, actually making me jump!.

But the highlight of the CD, as Tom has also already remarked upon, must be the Psycho suite, which has to be heard to be believed. Its effectiveness is extremely unexpected, and the arrangement gobsmackingly clever.

This is a GREAT CD, which is very easy to revisit and even slip on during an evening with friends or family who aren't into film music! I wonder how many will be charmed by the combination of themes half-buried in the subconscious and the bewitching sound of the acoustic guitar.

Martijn, i think this deserves a separate posting in Gregg Nestor's topic, or something. Thanks for the review beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ICE AGE 3, John Powell;

Heard it frequently when it came out, sparser as time went by and i now feel that this is one of the last times i visit this, as it has happened with various similar scores by the composer (and others) in the past; it doesn't have a strong element, like say - The Incredibles, Up, Bolt and parts of Ratatouille, that will keep me coming back to it; too.much.different.crazy.stuff.going.on. Oh and mickey mousing. freezing
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    omaha wrote
    Terminator Salvation
    Elfman

It is growing on me smile

It's a dark stunner isn't it? smile

DemonStar wrote
    NP: Planet Earth - George Fenton

Pure orchestral beauty. Truly awesome!

Indeed; that score is so impressive and complete in so many aspects, easily his best work to date as far as i am concerned! Pure pleasure from note 1 to end.

Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    PS: Why the first string progression in LIke a Dog Chasing cars reminds me Williams Superman?

It's the crack. You have to lay off the stuff.

-Erik-

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Erik Woods wrote
    Miya wrote
    NP: Lilo & Stitch - Alan Silvestri

Heroic Stitch theme is fun, tender Lilo theme is lovely, and I want more. Meega, nala kwishta! crazy

There is a rare Academy promo floating around out there.

http://www.alan-silvestri.com/main.html … promo.html

-Erik-

I know but it's rare! spin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Panthera wrote
    Are the films usually released in English with subtitles, or dubbed?

Bolt is released both in English and dubbed, but most theaters release dubbed version only... and it seems there is no theaters showing Ice Age 3 in English in this country. slant

In the not so distant past, both English and dubbed versions were widely released for animated movies, but lately most are dubbed... especially when 3D releases take up rooms for English version. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Dubbed? Oh please.......
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Christodoulides wrote
    too.much.different.crazy.stuff.going.on. Oh and mickey mousing. freezing

want lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know you do. wink :sigh:
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    They're releasing almost all Hollywood movies here dubbed, too, in Hindi. sad I haven't been able to find any theatre playing in English, and so I now have to wait for the DVDs to be released.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've seen a few films where it was so badly dubbed the entire soundtrack would cut out. Commando was hilarious in Thai, making Arnie sound very effeminate biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote
    <review>

Martijn, i think this deserves a separate posting in Gregg Nestor's topic, or something. Thanks for the review beer

I agree, actually, but I've had some (very nice) correspondence with Gregg on it, and have asked him permission to add some of his comments. When he gets back to me on that I will add a slightly extended review in that very topic.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: PoTC: At World's End - Hans Zimmer and co.

By far my favourite of the three, great themes and fun fast-paced action music! The ethnic music is great too. The final battle music is the best in the series.

Also amusing how similar One Day is to King Arthur's "Knights March" music. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    They're releasing almost all Hollywood movies here dubbed, too, in Hindi. sad I haven't been able to find any theatre playing in English, and so I now have to wait for the DVDs to be released.

Timmer wrote
    I've seen a few films where it was so badly dubbed the entire soundtrack would cut out. Commando was hilarious in Thai, making Arnie sound very effeminate biggrin

I SO want to watch these! Pure laugh-your-ass-off material!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote
    <review>

I agree, actually, but I've had some (very nice) correspondence with Gregg on it, and have asked him permission to add some of his comments. When he gets back to me on that I will add a slightly extended review in that very topic.

Looking forward to that my friend beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    I SO want to watch these! Pure laugh-your-ass-off material!

Indeed, they often change the characters' names and stuff so badly that it's hilarious! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Well, The the actiion scene has some Indy moments too. Like when the Rocket burns the burgers, etc.. spin

Even the scene is out of context. And the burger stuff was just plain AWFUL!

-Erik-

And that's why the music is out of the context too tongue

So the problem is over. wave

I was playing: Lost season 4.

this score never captures me. I like the O6 theme, but I find the rest lacking the deep of the first 3 scores.

Give me season 3 and 1 everytime, wich I consider both scores some of my favourite music.

NP:Ice age 3

My less played powell score since Just visiting.

How Anthony said, everytime buck's theme appears the score jumps to hyperspace. Specially the AMAZING end credits

and for the first time, I agree with the mickey mousing thing with D.

Probably with this stuff, and the 180 mb of space, this score will be deleted from my Ipod very soon.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : RANSOM - Jerry Goldsmith

Great 70's score from the master, I love the busy piano work cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HOLLOW MAN - Jerry Goldsmith

Sophisticated horror score, really like the theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

Funny... it's the only aspect of the score that I don't like. Too Basic Instinct for me. My least favorite Verhoeven/Goldsmith theme.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote

this score never captures me. I like the O6 theme, but I find the rest lacking the deep of the first 3 scores.

Give me season 3 and 1 everytime, wich I consider both scores some of my favourite music.

I wish I could say "I see where you're coming from" when people don't think the season 4 music is the best, but I really can't!
    shame ( biggrin )
  1. Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I wish I could say "I see where you're coming from" when people don't think the season 4 music is the best, but I really can't!
    shame ( biggrin )

Season 4 is the one CD from Lost that I don't have yet. I keep thinking that maybe the music from the previous 3 seasons is enough of a selection for someone who has no emotional connection with the show at all (never seen an episode).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

Funny... it's the only aspect of the score that I don't like. Too Basic Instinct for me. My least favorite Verhoeven/Goldsmith theme.

-Erik-

And exactly why I do like it. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote

shame ( biggrin )

Season 4 is the one CD from Lost that I don't have yet. I keep thinking that maybe the music from the previous 3 seasons is enough of a selection for someone who has no emotional connection with the show at all (never seen an episode).

I don't have the Season 4 album either. I wasn't convinced there would be enough material there that I don't already have on the other albums (which I rarely listen to anyway, even though they are good).
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    RESIDENT EVIL 5 - WATARU HOKOYAMA

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote

cool

How is it like? Orchestral?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote

cool

How is it like? Orchestral?

Massive, apocalyptic, Williams-esque horror action scoring. He played some at Ubeda. "Deep Ambition" = fantastic!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HULK - Danny Elfman

Not bad, certainly has it's moments.