• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2009
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Kung Fu Panda - John Powell and Hans Zimmer

Fun, emotional and action packed score, one of my favourites from last year.

I completely agree.

NP: Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs - John Powell

This is my first listen. It isn't immediately standing out, but I'm sure I'll love it over time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Pierre Brault - La Vraie Nature de Bernadette

This is some weird stuff. It's like what you get if Lalo Schifrin took an Italian holiday but got drunk later and roamed the streets with metal drums and fat, bass strings. Add some da-da-da vocals and it's quite a mix. Is this Bossa-nova? I don't know and don't care. I have no idea why I bought this from SAE in the first place.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Panthera wrote
    NP: Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs - John Powell

This is my first listen. It isn't immediately standing out, but I'm sure I'll love it over time.

It gets better when Buck's new theme comes into it. And the end credits = wow!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sunil wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Sunil wrote
    ^

Yes, it is! smile

No it ISN'T!

Pray tell how, HOW!? is it groundbreaking???

Just listen to certain tracks, most probably you would agree with me.

I have the score and 100% don't agree with you.

You still haven't told me how it's 'groundbreaking!?'
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BhelPuri wrote
    John Barry - Mary, Queen of Scots

Finally bought the Intrada release after much delaying (I have the re-recording on Silva with Lion in Winter). This is heart-meltingly gorgeous!

beer

it's got bagpipes too cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I don't hate that Barry score much. cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

Finally bought the Intrada release after much delaying (I have the re-recording on Silva with Lion in Winter). This is heart-meltingly gorgeous!

beer

Gorgeous score! One of his best. Thinking about it, that historical triumvirate he did of Lion in Winter, Last Valley and MQOS is pretty remarkable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You mean LiW, LV and MQoS, of course.
    Yes indeed. Three of the fines Klingon chieftains that ever lived.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Timmer wrote

Hmmm.... because each track has good quality sound and i just play it on 1500 Watts speaker and i can feel groundbreaking effect. That's why i called this groundbreaking score. Do you get it? biggrin
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
  1. lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Pom Poko - Hassou Gakudan aka Shang Shang Typhoon

Weird and funny, yet emotional in some way...

One of the funny things about this score is, apparently it was designed to make Japanese people nostalgic. It features instruments which many Japanese kids learned at school (harmonica, xylophone, and this thing which I don't know the proper English name) and instruments used by street noodle sellers lick , while quoting traditional songs and old children's songs... And of course it has lots of Japanese traditional sounds, especially festival music which cheer us up.

So I'm curious what people from other countries will think. Anyone heard it?

I also love piano pieces The Life Of Tanukis and Epilogue, not so special but very lovely.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn

It's called a melodica.
    I still have one of those! shocked

So I'm curious what people from other countries will think. Anyone heard it?

No, but you definitely made me curious now.
    I'll have a look around but's it's probably NOT easy to get here in the West. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Martijn wrote

It's called a melodica.
    I still have one of those! shocked

We call it pianica or melodion, but those names are TMed by Yamaha and Kawai dizzy I heard its "neutral" name is kenban-harmonica (kenban = keys), which nobody uses except textbooks tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Miya wrote
    those names are TMed by Yamaha and Kawai dizzy I

As a side note to that there was a -slightly over the top, but still very engrossing and interesting and certainly very watchable (recommended!!)- documentary about copyright and the "remix culture" on TV yesterday...it's amazing how much of the stuff we take for granted in everyday life is actually copyrighted or trademarked, with the potential for insane lawsuits (though admittedly that happens mostly in the lawsuit-happy US of A).

Did you know that the song "Happy Birthday" is actually still copyrighted, and that Warner Bros, if they were so inclined, could sue the pants off anyone using it? (They're not, as this would probably finally push the whole outdated copyright system over the brink, but still...the idea is harrowing! And they are still collecting fees for its commercial use in films et cetera. slant )
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Amelie ~ Yann Tiersen

Sweet, relaxing and filled with beautiful melodies. Ideal for a hot summer day... like a cool breeze. smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Martijn wrote
    Did you know that the song "Happy Birthday" is actually still copyrighted,

shocked shocked shocked

(It must be the reason why Disney made up a new B-Day song)

I'll check out the video later. Looks interesting!

NP: Ice Age: The Meltdown - John Powell

Dawn Of The Dinosaurs is out this weekend cheesy And BOLT next weekend, finally! I'm getting busy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sunil wrote
    Timmer wrote

Hmmm.... because each track has good quality sound and i just play it on 1500 Watts speaker and i can feel groundbreaking effect. That's why i called this groundbreaking score. Do you get it? biggrin

I call that digging yourself out of a tight spot.

And very well done too! cool beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

beer

Gorgeous score! One of his best. Thinking about it, that historical triumvirate he did of Lion in Winter, Last Valley and MQOS is pretty remarkable.

Barry excels at this kind of scoring. There's been quite a few historically themed films over the past few years, what a shame Barry was not involved in any.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: You Must Remember This Too

Gregg Nestor's guitar (and company) rendition of several Golden Era score classics.
    Building squarely on his first Miklos Rozsa tribute album, this new album tackles Newman, Korngold, Rozsa and others in a similar vein. Being a lifelong fan of the acoustic guitar, this, like the first album, is a wonderful amalgam of two favourites coming together: film music and guitar.

The arrangements are very good in a mostly neo-Romantic fashion (reminding me often of Todesco or Villa-Lobos!). The choice of pieces to transfer to guitar is -logically- generally limited to the more melodic/traditional of musical pieces (dances like bourrées or pavannes or love themes lend themselves of course wonderfully to this medium), but the album holds a few surprises: the opening of Gold's It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (the original being a very fifties' madcap semi-Mancini-esque flourish) is handled quite delicately, and Tiomkin's A President's Country (the original being a thunderous orchestral potpourri of Tiomkin western themes) is now a rather more introspective suite, even though its western roots are still acknowledged by the inclusion of David McKelvy's harmonica playing. All involved are clearly having a ball with the source material.
    The only complaint on the latter piece: the whip sound is mixed in quite loudly, actually making me jump!.

But the highlight of the CD, as Tom has also already remarked upon, must be the Psycho suite, which has to be heard to be believed. Its effectiveness is extremely unexpected, and the arrangement gobsmackingly clever.

This is a GREAT CD, which is very easy to revisit and even slip on during an evening with friends or family who aren't into film music! I wonder how many will be charmed by the combination of themes half-buried in the subconscious and the bewitching sound of the acoustic guitar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: The Split - Quincy Jones

Great funky stuff in true Jones style.
    Right up there with comparable Schifrin material. Very cool, very jazzy and very enjoyable in other words. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I seriously considered that one Martijn, unfortunately I'm having to tighten my wallet at the moment.

I think it'll be around for some time to come.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hmmmm...it is limited to 1500 (though I have no idea why).
  2. Jurassic Park (John Williams)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh... One of the all-time greats. Truly magnificent from begin to end. Doesn't this have one of the best main themes that came out of John's pen? I'd like to think so... The performance of the main theme here always gets the fluids in my eyes, with the soft choir just sending shivers up the spine. The suspense / action music is also of very high quality, of a level he has not achieved this decade, and probably won't again. This is perhaps his last all-round brilliant score, featuring all the elements we've come to love in John's music: classy themes, pure emotion, plenty of chills and thrills, the awe and wonder we experience when watching the film. This score just gets me soaring to high heaven each and every time... angelic
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Underfire (Goldsmith)

very appropiate for the hot wave we are living in Catalonia.

I simply hate the synth, and the playful use of the latin sound, but the solo guitars are gorgeous!

(Yes, i saw the movie. And it doesn't gets better)
  3. Love 'Under Fire', synths and all.

A true Goldsmith classic.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Underfire (Goldsmith)

very appropiate for the hot wave we are living in Catalonia.

I simply hate the synth, and the playful use of the latin sound, but the solo guitars are gorgeous!

(Yes, i saw the movie. And it doesn't gets better)

The score in the film is quite different from that on the album, if I'm remembering properly. I love them both - like DreamTheater, synths and all!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Changed to..

NP:Medicine man (Goldsmith)

If I want sudaca (south american) Goldsmithian music, This is my favourite choice.

The main theme really captures the beauty of the trees and the landscapes, the action is great Total Recall-esque, and the synth is catchy but sometimes it is really mind blowing (first morning).

the whole score is fresh!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Spirit: Stallion Of The Cimarron - Hans Zimmer

Playing it especially for Run Free which was stuck in my head today. Immensely enjoyable, adrenaline pumping and yet carefree sounding track! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Dracula A.D. 1972 - Mike Vickers

Hmmm...aside from a funky main theme it's less fun than I seem to remember.
    It doesn't help that the orchestra is roughly the same size as that for a seventies TV show, and the entire album s in mono.

It's a different kind of horror score to be sure, but not different or interesting enough to make it in any way outstanding.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Stavroula wrote
    NP: Amelie ~ Yann Tiersen

Sweet, relaxing and filled with beautiful melodies. Ideal for a hot summer day... like a cool breeze. smile

Now your talking wink