• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote I was playing: Lost season 4. this score never captures me. I like the O6 theme, but I find the rest lacking the deep of the first 3 scores. Give me season 3 and 1 everytime, wich I consider both scores some of my favourite music.
    I wish I could say "I see where you're coming from" when people don't think the season 4 music is the best, but I really can't! shame ( biggrin )

Me too; season 4 features the greatest music of the show; pure, unleashed emotion and the quality that preceded with the other seasons, only more mature.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    RESIDENT EVIL 5 - WATARU HOKOYAMA

cool

How is it like? Orchestral?

Massive, apocalyptic, Williams-esque horror action scoring. He played some at Ubeda. "Deep Ambition" = fantastic!!

Is he the AFRIKA dude? No wonder he's on another John Williams hard-on then tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ I'll take what he is having.
  1. Star Trek II? lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    This is how they call it now? Last time i remember it was "weed"?
  2. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : HOLLOW MAN - Jerry Goldsmith

Sophisticated horror score, really like the theme.

Funny... it's the only aspect of the score that I don't like. Too Basic Instinct for me. My least favorite Verhoeven/Goldsmith theme.

-Erik-

And exactly why I do like it. smile

I like it too, it's not great, but there are some elements in this score I do like very much, like the suspense music near the end. The theme is decent, though not particularly memorable.

Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    RESIDENT EVIL 5 - WATARU HOKOYAMA

cool

How is it like? Orchestral?

Massive, apocalyptic, Williams-esque horror action scoring. He played some at Ubeda. "Deep Ambition" = fantastic!!

I don't know what version you have heard Anthony, but I had to plough through 3 discs of plain boring, uninspired drivel and I was glad the thing was over.

And Hokoyama was only co-composer, next to two other Japanese dudes.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2009
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Star Trek II? lol

No!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DreamTheater wrote
    I don't know what version you have heard Anthony, but I had to plough through 3 discs of plain boring, uninspired drivel and I was glad the thing was over.

And Hokoyama was only co-composer, next to two other Japanese dudes.

From what I understand (from Wataru directly in Spain) he was hired to write orchestra overlays to certain parts of Suzuki's music. I'm listening to a 7 track version of the score that's about 25 minutes long and it's brilliant!
  3. Me wants!

The Uninvited (Christopher Young)

Well I listened to it and can't say I would put it anywhere near his Hellraiser music... There's just too much ambience and non interesting underscore for that. The lullaby which act as the main theme is nice enough, but I'm not too fond of the overall listen. I'm sure the score will have a tremendous impact within the film, once I've seen it. I like the creepiness in those choral moments which should make for a good couple of minutes of on-screen terror. I don't think I'll be getting this one, it's a lot less interesting than say 'The Fly II' or his more melodic creepy music.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Persepolis - Oliver Bernet

A beautiful, little intimate score for what was for me one of the most overlooked films of last year.
    Quite French in feel (not surprising: it's a French film and a French composer) the score, mainly piano, strings and guitar dominated (though electric guitar, zarb, and horns pass by as well), does a wonderful job in supporting the moving and poignant account of a young girl growing up in post-revolutionary Iran.

With a (wry) sense of humour balanced by introspection and reverence for the source material (in that it never tries to take centre stage) this is a wonderful listen, though a slightly melancholic one, and one probably best appreciated if one has seen the film (which I recommend without hesitation)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. I will see the movie for sure, I know who'll borrow it to me smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Me wants!

The Uninvited (Christopher Young)

Well I listened to it and can't say I would put it anywhere near his Hellraiser music... There's just too much ambience and non interesting underscore for that. The lullaby which act as the main theme is nice enough, but I'm not too fond of the overall listen. I'm sure the score will have a tremendous impact within the film, once I've seen it. I like the creepiness in those choral moments which should make for a good couple of minutes of on-screen terror. I don't think I'll be getting this one, it's a lot less interesting than say 'The Fly II' or his more melodic creepy music.

Don't see the movie, it's a waste of time; in the score, if you turn the volume up you'll hear a lot of creepy and very inventing female choir tricks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Jerry Goldmith: The Early Years Vol 1

This is an interesting and nostalgic collection of 50s Goldsmith for CBS television.
    Even at this very early stage in his career Jerry showed great promise.
    His blossoming talent is clearly evident throughout this collection.
    I particularly love a beautiful little theme he wrote in a Playhouse 90 episode called Tomorrow.
    I like his early Twilight Zone music and this collection of even earlier music is just as interesting.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    NP:

KRULL

fireworks beer fireworks beer fireworks

YES!

KRRRRRUUUUUUULLLLLLLL!!!!!!! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    STORED MEMORIES AND MONICA'S THEME FROM A.I. BY JOHN WILLIAMS

This track will always bring tears to my eyes... Very very very heart touching cue ever written by any composer. That's why i love and adore his works. LONG LIVE JOHN WILLIAMS!
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Sunil wrote

This track will always bring tears to my eyes... Very very very heart touching cue ever written by any composer. That's why i love and adore his works. LONG LIVE JOHN WILLIAMS!

Really, really wonderful score by JW. One of my all time favourites!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Indeed. Very moving piece of music. Just beautiful!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    From what I understand (from Wataru directly in Spain) he was hired to write orchestra overlays to certain parts of Suzuki's music. I'm listening to a 7 track version of the score that's about 25 minutes long and it's brilliant!

Indeed! A great listen! A mix of Silvestri's Predator, Bennett Salvay's Jeepers Creepers 2 and John Williams. Really, really entertaining!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    APOCALYPTO - JAMES HORNER

I don't care what other says on this score, i just love it. The track "Story teller's dreams" is just excellent. I like the flute and percussions in that track. But i say "Frog Darts" is the best action cue written for this movie and album. Very different and unique score album from James Horner. Now, i am playing "Frog Darts" once again, great one indeed.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Chicken Run - John Powell & Harry Gregson-Williams

chickens lick
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    And kazoos! punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    Sunil wrote

Really, really wonderful score by JW. One of my all time favourites!

Indeed, contains some very heartfelt material in there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

Indeed! A great listen! A mix of Silvestri's Predator, Bennett Salvay's Jeepers Creepers 2 and John Williams. Really, really entertaining!

-Erik-

How about some originality for a change?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BRAINSTORM - James Horner

punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Michael Giacchino - Ratatouille

One of the best animation scores I've heard (and I saw the very good film as well). Started to listen to it after a friend of mine told me how amateurish does Giacchino sound (his words).

Ask your friend to explain that. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

-Erik-

How about some originality for a change?

Get off Wataru's case, D. It's tiring.

My posted above is the vibe I get from the score. Since I don't have the ability or education to describe and/or dissect scores musically I sometimes compare what I'm listening to other scores so that those who might be interested in buying the score get an idea of what it will sound like.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2009 edited
    Erik, i heard the score once, i am not talking out of my ass! What's tiring is flaming others for the same reasons someone else is elevated simply 'cause he choose a favorable composer to stick to.

You see my point here? It's not WATARU my problem, is the bashing of other composers which are less favorable and happen to plagiarize others, whilst for someone new who's obviously got the skills but still has ages to go as far as originality is concerned, we hold the flame high simply because he's plagiarizing the "correct ones".

It's like this here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mzfnCwOa8k the ubeda bso spirit hymn or whatever it's called. Where's the spirit in that? I am not suggesting writing music is easy and i am a musician too, i know the difficulties first-hand, but staying so close to Williams has always been a safe-route out with the film score fans 'cause you know they will probably not bash you, rather the contrary.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik, i heard the score once, i am not talking out of my ass! What's tiring is flaming others for the same reasons someone else is elevated simply 'cause he choose a favorable composer to stick to.

You see my point here? It's not WATARU my problem, is the bashing of other composers which are less favorable and happen to plagiarize others, whilst for someone new who's obviously got the skills but still has ages to go as far as originality is concerned, we hold the flame high simply because he's plagiarizing the "correct ones".

There is NO plagiarizing going on in that score. You are USING THE WRONG WORD! He isn't copying and pasting cues from other scores. He is utilizing and certain style of composing and doing is very, VERY well!

-Erik-