• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009
    Then you need to make yourself clear, yeah!?! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I said "i too loved Apollo" i didn't use the word "prefer" or anything wink beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009 edited
    You didn't stipulate anything. But you did referrence a conversation regarding the film(s).

Anyway, pointless discussion and we both love Apollo 13 score beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christus Apollo (Jerry Goldsmith)

Anyone here that can enjoy this for the first 5 tracks?

Pretty much impossible. If you comprehend the shit Goldsmith was going through during that time in his life then you will understand why Christus Apollo sounds the way it does. I can't get through it and in all honesty I have the album only for the OUTSTANDING "Fireworks" piece.

-Erik-

Totally agree Erik.

What was the 'shit' JG was going through at that time?

Actually, the shit he was going through was when he was writing "Music For Orchestra" in 1970. Jerry was going through a divorce and his mother was seriously ill with cancer. All of his personal turmoil went into that piece. Christus Apollo came a year before that. Goldsmith wanted to experiment with the 12-tone system and so out came Christus Apollo.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE FURY - John Williams

Full of magnificent Williams goodness.

Great score, indeed! Bravo. applause
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Killzone 2 - Joris De Man

A very impressive effort from De Man!
    A ballsy, bombastic action score for the PS3 game that (for me) never fails to impress.
    Even the non LSO sections sound great!
    Joris De Man is yet another composer that dearly needs to break into film scoring.
    Powerhouse action music at its best! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Pretty much impossible. If you comprehend the shit Goldsmith was going through during that time in his life then you will understand why Christus Apollo sounds the way it does. I can't get through it and in all honesty I have the album only for the OUTSTANDING "Fireworks" piece.

-Erik-

Totally agree Erik.

What was the 'shit' JG was going through at that time?

Actually, the shit he was going through was when he was writing "Music For Orchestra" in 1970. Jerry was going through a divorce and his mother was seriously ill with cancer. All of his personal turmoil went into that piece. Christus Apollo came a year before that. Goldsmith wanted to experiment with the 12-tone system and so out came Christus Apollo.

-Erik-

Actually, I can certainly enjoy Music for Orchestra. I've only managed to get through Christus Apollo once though, and can't see that changing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Where's that :crying: smiley?

: cry : cry
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    PRINCE CASPIAN FLEES - THE PRINCE CASPIAN by HARRY GREGSON WILLIAMS

This track rocks..... WOW! punk
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Atham wrote

A ballsy, bombastic action score for the PS3 game that (for me) never fails to impress.
    Joris De Man is yet another composer that dearly needs to break into film scoring.

Loved it too; impressive how overlooked little gems like this tend to get.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. NP: Battlestar Galactica (Bear Mccreary)

The new double album has some superb material. The second disc - the score of the finale episode - surveys most of the themes of the series with a more extensive orchestral presence than usual. The first disc is the real winner for me however, with some wonderful tracks like 'The Hub', 'Elegy', 'Among the Ruins', 'Roslin and Adama Reunited', and in particular all versions of 'Gaeta's Lament' (heard in 'Blood on the Scales' as well as both of the tracks titled 'Gaeta's Lament'). 'Kara Remembers', 'The Signal' (minus the anaemic vocals) and 'Diapora Oratorio' are also pretty strong.

My three favourite cues of the series are still from the season 3 album - 'Violence and Variations', 'Storming New Caprica' and 'Battlestar Sonatica'. However the new album confirms that this was some of the best music in a TV show in recent times.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Bear should get bigger projects to score too. He's a very, very talented composer IMO!
  2. Ditto, Ravi.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Atham wrote

Loved it too; impressive how overlooked little gems like this tend to get.

Yeah... those overlooked gems like BIOHAZARD 5 (RESIDENT EVIL 5) wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Medal of Honor Airborne (Giacchino)

It contains the belic feeling of the previous medal of honors but with much more Giacchino post lost action style (the style wich i love from him).

it's hard for me notice the secondary themes, I just Know it's so melodic, it's so damn heroic and action packed that I simply love this score!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CHAPLIN - John Barry

Lovely score. I love the use of Chaplin's own composition, the immortal Smile, arranged by Barry. cool
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

-Erik-

indeed, Fireworks is amazing but also the only film music like track on the disc, I don't even remember everything else shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I have a 'considered' taste in awkward, complex non-film score orchestral works but Goldsmith's Christus Apollo left me stone cold.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    MOUSEHUNT - ALAN SILVESTRI

Forget all this GI Joe nonsense; this is the Silvestri I love.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    MOUSEHUNT - ALAN SILVESTRI

Forget all this GI Joe nonsense; this is the Silvestri I love.

One of his best!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    What a sucky album though. The custom expanded I've put together is much better. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I love that album. I saw the film once, I think, but don't remember noticing any music of note which wasn't on it - but then, I'm terrible at that. That style of music can never really sustain much more than 30 minutes though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ALIEN - Jerry Goldsmith

Genius.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    NP: LIONHEART - Jerry Goldsmith

I know, I know, this is probably something people have been raving over in the past, and I'm sure I'm the last one to come to the party, but since I'm slowly discovering this Goldsmith dude, it's my first listen. And it's great stuff! Now, if only there's a way to purchase this... it's not that hard to get the 'volume 2' cd, yet I want that 'combined' thingy... hmm...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    I love that album. I saw the film once, I think, but don't remember noticing any music of note which wasn't on it - but then, I'm terrible at that. That style of music can never really sustain much more than 30 minutes though.

What he said! Mousehunt is fooking brilliant. One of Silvestri's finest!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    TERMINATOR: SALVATION - Danny Elfman

The Harvester Returns.....LLLLOOOUUUDDD!
  4. DreamTheater wrote

Not my cup of tea at all.

Well the final track surely is superb. But other than that one, this is a helluva difficult listen. It's very complex, without theme and inaccessible, unlike most of his film-related material. Shows how much more tricks he had up his sleeve, yet never had the chance to show them. All in all not one that will get many spins from me.

I adore "Christus Apollo" and I'm surprised no one else seems to get anything out of it. It’s got some fantastic choral work and some very interesting orchestration, for me right up there with his film work from the 60s and 70s. I also find "Music for Orchestra" to be terrific. In fact "Fireworks" is the weak point of the album for me, I've always found it to be a bit generic, but I do hope to get into it a bit more some day. To each his own.
  5. BobdH wrote
    NP: LIONHEART - Jerry Goldsmith

I know, I know, this is probably something people have been raving over in the past, and I'm sure I'm the last one to come to the party, but since I'm slowly discovering this Goldsmith dude, it's my first listen. And it's great stuff! Now, if only there's a way to purchase this... it's not that hard to get the 'volume 2' cd, yet I want that 'combined' thingy... hmm...

I have that one. It's a brilliant album, while clearly not containing all of material from Vol. 1 and 2, it holds the absolute highlights, and it remains one of my favourite Goldsmith treasures.

I know Amazon.co.uk has some for sale, yet all second-hand and not very cheapish, but maybe that's the only way you'll ever find a copy. IMO it's worth it. What you do is up to you.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. John Chambers wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Not my cup of tea at all.

Well the final track surely is superb. But other than that one, this is a helluva difficult listen. It's very complex, without theme and inaccessible, unlike most of his film-related material. Shows how much more tricks he had up his sleeve, yet never had the chance to show them. All in all not one that will get many spins from me.

I adore "Christus Apollo" and I'm surprised no one else seems to get anything out of it. It’s got some fantastic choral work and some very interesting orchestration, for me right up there with his film work from the 60s and 70s. I also find "Music for Orchestra" to be terrific. In fact "Fireworks" is the weak point of the album for me, I've always found it to be a bit generic, but I do hope to get into it a bit more some day. To each his own.

I'm just much more a thematic kind of guy. I need clear themes and their variations in my music. If I don't hear anything which grabs me, the music leaves me cold, which is what a lot of classical music does to me (I mean the more difficult pieces that my father so adores). Maybe he'd get a kick out of Christus Apollo.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009
    NP: Deep Blue - George Fenton

This is really.... wow! shocked
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp