• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: BOY IN THE STRIPED PYJAMAS -- James Horner

Much better than The Life Before her Eyes smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009
    NP: Up - Michael Giacchino

One of this year's best scores (from those I've heard). Yet another different style for Giacchino, but not a bit lacking in the high quality of his other scores. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    William wrote

One of this year's best scores (from those I've heard). Yet another different style for Giacchino, but not a bit lacking in the high quality of his other scores. smile

My favourite score of the year so far. Escape From Muntz Mountain RULES! punk

Really want a CD quality version badly..
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    William wrote

Yeah. But DRM-free MPEGs from Amazon are better than iTunes, at least...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    That's what I currently have. I'm expecting hopefully some foreign release might be in CD form (in Japan for example). Otherwise it's Oscar promo time in January... even one with the same contents as the current release will be sufficient for me, as long as it's lossless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Timeline (rejected) - Jerry Goldsmith

The last couple of battle cues are among my all-time favourite Goldsmith tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote

Aren't the iTunes downloads iTunes plus? That's 256k AAC which is pretty much CD quality anyway. Unless you have super human hearing you CAN'T distinguish the difference between a 256K AAC file from an uncompressed FLAC or WAV file unless you throw it into a wav editor and LOOK at the two files.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    That's what I currently have.

And I have both. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Yeah but I like to have the scores I really like in the best quality form. Bad habit... tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    Bad habit... tongue

Yeah... dizzy tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: The Incredibles - Michael Giacchino

More Giacchino goodness. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Aren't the iTunes downloads iTunes plus? That's 256k AAC which is pretty much CD quality anyway. Unless you have super human hearing you CAN'T distinguish the difference between a 256K AAC file from an uncompressed FLAC or WAV file unless you throw it into a wav editor and LOOK at the two files.

-Erik-

Here here.

Even with the most expensive equipment you will have a VERY hard time hearing any difference. Does make me smile when someone says they can. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009 edited
    Properly ripped 320 kbps MP3/M4A sound almost similar to lossless, no doubt. That's why I don't carry around FLAC's on my MP3 player! wink

I want the lossless for archival of my music and burning CDs for listening to on the music system. I do care for my archive of favourite music to be the best quality possible! My crazy obssession with quality, I admit.. tongue wink

I usually want lossless for the scores I REALLY like though.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    William wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    William wrote

Actually the itunes quality is better than amazon now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    Properly ripped 320 kbps MP3/M4A sound almost similar to lossless, no doubt. That's why I don't carry around FLAC's on my MP3 player! wink

I want the lossless for archival of my music and burning CDs for listening to on the music system. I do care for my archive of favourite music to be the best quality possible! My crazy obssession with quality, I admit.. tongue wink

I usually want lossless for the scores I REALLY like though.

No I can understand that, I wasn't really aiming that comment directly at you. I too like the feeling of having the best possible quality!

One member that instantly springs to mind who believes he can actually hear differences between high quality MP3s to CD audio is Justin (shocking isn't it?). Many times we've tried to convince him it's a placebo effect, but as I've said before, unless you've got the hearing of Superman and the sound system of God, YOU WON'T HEAR A DAMN BIT OF DIFFERENCE!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Actually on my MP3 player I keep only 192 kbps MP3s! I can't hear any significant difference on the earphones, so it helps conserve space.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    Actually on my MP3 player I keep only 192 kbps MP3s! I can't hear any significant difference on the earphones, so it helps conserve space.

Sensible thing to do. You'll need a very expensive pair of headphones* to warrant using anything of a higher bit rate on your portable player.

*Fucking WANT
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Anthony wrote
    William wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    William wrote

confused
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    William wrote
    Anthony wrote
    William wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    William wrote

confused

What is confusing about that statement?
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    The Living Daylights

Barry goodness
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Anthony wrote
    William wrote
    Anthony wrote

confused

How do you know?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: The Day the Earth Stood Still - Tyler Bates

vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    William wrote
    Anthony wrote
    William wrote
    Anthony wrote

confused

How do you know?

No, that's confusing. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Monkey Island 4: Escape From Monkey Island - Michael Land, Clint Bajakian and about 6 others

A steeldrum bonanza and one of the best pirate scores for any medium ever! And whatta theme...WHATTA THEME! :har:
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Monkey... Island.... 4?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Where have YOU been? uhm That was out in 2000!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I didn't even know there was a Monkey Island 1!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    I didn't even know there was a Monkey Island 1!?

Next thing you'll be telling me you've never seen Citizen Kane.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - James Horner

Jimbo, Jimbo... get off your lazy arse and score more films. (Especially ones like this.) You used to do one every week or so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - James Horner

Jimbo, Jimbo... get off your lazy arse and score more films. (Especially ones like this.) You used to do one every week or so.

I'm glad he his dedicating so much time to Avatar. I wish more composers would follow suit.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!