• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2008
    Gears Of War 2 Steve Jablonsky

Another kick-ass guilty pleasure that many will love to hate!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2008
    Steven wrote

Recent viewing?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote

Recent viewing?

...sh....shut up.
  1. lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Oh no the topic has been TRANSFORMED!!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Just finished watching "Caves" from Planet Earth.

omg

I've always been fascinated by speleology. That had to be one of my absolute favourite episodes so far. I may get married inside Little Geas.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    tonight it will be Night Digger
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Transformers

Extremely silly but very well-done for what it was. And I think I'm in love with Megan Fox.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2008 edited
    Christ, who isn't? lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    LSH wrote
    Christ, who isn't? lick

Me. She's almost too hot. But I wouldn't say "no". biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Max Payne? What did you expect. There's 0 chance you'll ever get a worthy film out of a game.

My friend says Silent Hill was terrific.

The exception to the rule.

The problem is games are interactive, movies are passive, that's like trying to convert an apple into an orange, it's just not doable to mix the two, however on occasion someone who actually plays the games is involved with the movie...

I've seen that too; perfect movie, an exception to the rule.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Transformers

Extremely silly but very well-done for what it was. And I think I'm in love with Megan Fox.

It's a masterpiece of visual effects. The artistry and effort that was involved in creating the special effects for that movie must have been phenomenal.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkck
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2008 edited
    I have a (young) friend who thinks Megan Fox is all that. I think she'll be nowhere to be found in about 5 or 6 years like so many of the starlets young men slaver over on the net. wink tongue

I finally watched Quest for Fire last night. Quest is one of those movies I always thought I'd like to see if I were in the right mood to watch such a film. I believed it'd be a little difficult to get involved in a story with no understandable dialog. Boy was I wrong. This film is engrossing from beginning to end and (for the most part) you can follow the storyline quite well, incomprehensible dialog or not. (The only word I grasped the meaning for in the film was 'otra' or 'hotra' which meant 'fire' to the tribe we were following. For some reason it never occurred to me to turn on the subtitles and check...)

The filming and characterization is incredibly well done. The various prehistoric tribes each have their own clear languages, looks and progressions on the evolutionary scale. It's quite amazing how well the actors communicate their feeling, even without recognizable dialogue. It shows how powerful non-verbal communication and voice intonation really is. Of course, the score was an important character as well; as we all know, a good score can highlight emotion better than even the best actor's emoting. While the score didn't jump out at me and scream "Buy ME!" it was magnificent in it's ability to underscore what happened on the screen without being obtrusive in any way. Very, very well done.

After the movie ended, I went back and re-watched with the VO commentary by the actors as I thought this must have been a grueling, yet fascinating film to make. It was. You also find out more about the names of the tribes and characters as well as some plot points that couldn't be very well conveyed without cue cards or dialog. (There is an attack near the end by renegade members of the tribe who are a-questing which wasn't clear to me in my first viewing.) The only concern I had at the end was...how in the heck did they get those sabertooth prosthetics on the lions? This is a very, very good film that I'm sorry I waited so long to watch. (Five out of five on this one. Excellent film.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Night Digger is a film I'd give a thumbs up to. I was amazed at how well Patricia Neal recovered given her stroke, although I could see signs (similiar to mine) of the lingering effects. Dahl weaved what happened to his wife into the story nicely. The score from Herrmann fit nicely. Creepy but I liked it.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Transformers

It's a masterpiece of visual effects. The artistry and effort that was involved in creating the special effects for that movie must have been phenomenal.

I don't think a "masterpiece" and "miracle" are the same thing. I'd call Transformers a Miracle of special effects indeed for all the reasons you mention Steven. The effort and dedication is clearly evident and goes way beyond the call of duty for a hollywood flick.

But a Masterpiece? I think the end result is too confusing to the eye to really be as Masterpiece. Maybe a little fewer moving parts on the Transformers or a slower transformation time would've allowed us to appreciate the intricacies of their mechanisms better. Then again I've only seen the movie once and so perhaps I just need to train my eye to pick up these details. Bought it on DVD ages ago but haven't had time to re-watch it.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Transformers

I thought the same. With all the crap CGI around, most special effects look a lot less special than they did 30 years ago when they used miniatures and, more importantly, imagination - but Transformers was really very impressive in that regard. I find it unbelievable that so much love and care can go into virtually every aspect of a film and yet they keep a clunky, crappy script (and have such a humdrum score).
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Southall wrote
    I thought the same. With all the crap CGI around, most special effects look a lot less special than they did 30 years ago when they used miniatures and, more importantly, imagination - but Transformers was really very impressive in that regard. I find it unbelievable that so much love and care can go into virtually every aspect of a film and yet they keep a clunky, crappy script (and have such a humdrum score).

I thought the script was hilarious, far from crappy. I love when action movies are side-splitting like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Audition (Ôdishon) (1999)

Japanese "horror" film (cheesy American tag line "she always gets a part" slant) that has NO idea where to go. 40+ widower gets help from a roducer friend to meet a girl through a semi-fake casting process for some TV series. 90 minutes of (not bad) midlife crisis and relationship material is alternated by apparently unrelated flashbacks that add nothing of value (yeah, they are supposed to be drugs-induced, but still "heavy" and overlong isn't really something that adds to a narative) and some brutal torture scenes.

I appreciate strange cinema. I like dark horses. But here, there's no message, no point, no mood (the fact that it's s-l-o-w doesn't make it moody or scary), and ultimately no interesting narrative. It relies on effects and an artsy mood.
    1.5 out of 5
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorviolaone
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2008
    Picked up the complet West Wing (154 episodes) for £50 from HMV...who is W Snuffy Whathisname anyway??? spin spin
  3. HeeroJF wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Transformers

I don't think a "masterpiece" and "miracle" are the same thing. I'd call Transformers a Miracle of special effects indeed for all the reasons you mention Steven. The effort and dedication is clearly evident and goes way beyond the call of duty for a hollywood flick.

But a Masterpiece? I think the end result is too confusing to the eye to really be as Masterpiece. Maybe a little fewer moving parts on the Transformers or a slower transformation time would've allowed us to appreciate the intricacies of their mechanisms better. Then again I've only seen the movie once and so perhaps I just need to train my eye to pick up these details. Bought it on DVD ages ago but haven't had time to re-watch it.

Well, think about it like this: if they had slowed down the transformations you'd have seen all the intricacies and detail of the SFX in one go, Transformers needs to be viewed again and again: it's just that visually complex, it's like the 2001: A Space Odyssey of summer special effects blockbusters!!!! punk

The movie is one wild rollercoaster rider and had I been a kid when this came out, I think I would've been sick of the ride by now, vomiting away by the sheer though of it. But even as an adult, it's way too much fun for me to not enjoy the crap out of it!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorviolaone
    The Changeling...not the new Clint Eastwood offering but the old one with George C. Scott....that will scare the crap out of you....andof courese the original Japanese Ring.... punk punk
  4. Martijn wrote
    Audition (Ôdishon) (1999)

There's a whole chapter (albeit more an essay than a proper chapter) in a book entitled "Japanese Horror Cinema" (ed. Jay McRoy) where some reviewers' comments are quoted:

[The film's ability to morph from an] "...almost Reineresque romantic comedy...[into]...a horrific black butterfly emerg[ing] from the chrysalis..." Sounds quite good?

BTW, the book is quite interesting: http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Horror-C … amp;sr=8-2
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    [The film's ability to morph from an] "...almost Reineresque romantic comedy...[into]...a horrific black butterfly emerg[ing] from the chrysalis..." Sounds quite good?

Sounds exactly like what I just saw: all over the place, with three, possibly four interesting stories, hopelessly mashed up into a water colour tableau somebody accidentally put the sprinklers on to.
    A mess.
    Really.
    The first 65 minutes are slow, but mildly interesting.
    All the rest completely undoes that.

Ugh.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    violaone wrote
    Picked up the complet West Wing (154 episodes) for £50 from HMV...who is W Snuffy Whathisname anyway??? spin spin

W. Snuffy Walden?
    I only know him from TV scores: Roseanne, and, of course, The West Wing.
    The only CD I have of his is the score to Stephen King's The Stand, which is not bad in a Ry Cooder kinda way.
  5. He scored few series, he's quite a popular choice in TV scoring.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    DreamTheater wrote
    Well, think about it like this: if they had slowed down the transformations you'd have seen all the intricacies and detail of the SFX in one go, Transformers needs to be viewed again and again: it's just that visually complex, it's like the 2001: A Space Odyssey of summer special effects blockbusters!!!! punk

The movie is one wild rollercoaster rider and had I been a kid when this came out, I think I would've been sick of the ride by now, vomiting away by the sheer though of it. But even as an adult, it's way too much fun for me to not enjoy the crap out of it!

Yeah it sounds like the visual overload can truly grow on you with repeated viewings, and I shall endeavour to do that eventually with my DVD. It really was quite a fascinating and funny ride.
  6. Three films this weekend...

- Scott Hicks's documentary about Philip Glass is one of the films of the year for me. Hicks is more known to people here for his dramatic features like Shine, Snow Falling on Cedars and Hearts in Atlantis, but his first craft was documentary making, and he hasn't lost his talent. He could not have picked a more interesting subject, as far as I'm concerned.
    - Steve McQueen's film about the Bobby Sands-led hunger strike Hunger. It won't come close to getting any Oscars, but there aren't many drama films this year that balance grim reality with possibilities of cinema so appropriately.
    - The documentary Man on Wire. Despite the use of old film musical workhorses by Nyman and Satie, this is an energetic telling of the remarkable story of the French tightrope walker who walked between the North and South Towers of the World Trade Centre.

And in previous weekends...
    - Body of Lies (Ridley Scott) - the most interesting character and performance is not one of the two top-billed actors. Mark Strong walks away with this film. Story is ok but overlooks its most interesting dramatic potential to keep Russell and Leo DiC at the centre of the story. Music is like the paint that dries on the average wall - you don't want it to stand out, and indeed, it doesn't fail at that task.
    - The New Babylon (Kosintsev) - proof that not all old acclaimed films are good. This film - from a contemporary of Eisenstein and Pudovkin's - is actually pretty poor in the making, full of loose ends and inconsistent technique. And get this: Shostakovitch's music isn't very good either... as film music. It's fine on its own (and the superior artwork if you had to choose btw film and music), but it doesn't give the film what it needed. This was a screening of the film with a live orchestra performing the music.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  7. RV: Nanny McPhee

That´s what can happen to you if you have wife and daughter.

I seriously doubt I´ll see it a second time.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Transformers

I think I'll have to see it.....just for the FX cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt