• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Sunil, documentaries are a genre of film.

Is it? OK! Timmy was right. I admit. Thanks for correcting me.

Have a sweat dreams.. oops... sweet dreams! biggrin
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
  1. Ralph Vaughan Williams - The Lark Ascending

I immediately fell in love with the piece on my first listening yesterday. I also did a bit of reading yesterday. I think it's pretty wonderful that Vaughan Williams didn't give the solo violin a time signature which lets it flow with its own pace, gives the piece a more dream-like character, which adds to its beauty. Now I am listening to it much louder than yesterday (which was late at night with my parents asleep).

Pure bliss or musical beauty. Even more valuable because written in the 20th century, early 20th century, but still.

Tim, which symphony was written based on his war experience? It was Pastoral, wasn't it? Could you remind me the number?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Superman - John Williams

Not so funny. Better luck next time! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sunil wrote
    Is it? OK! Timmy was right. I admit. Thanks for correcting me.

Not so lucky. Better fun next time. biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. applause
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    W.A. Mozart - Clarinet concerto

Martin Frost is a fine clarinetist with fantastic technique. He demonstrates such warmth and sensitivity from what is primarily known as a tongue-in-cheek instrument among orchestrators. I think what Mozart ingeniously does here, in one of the earliest masterpieces for the instrument, is exploit the contrasting registers of the instrument (the chalumeau and the clarino) to turn the soloist into a kind of schizophrenic figure, which further augmentates the opportunities in interpretation. The second movement is often cited as one of the most beautiful pieces of music in the concerto repertoire, and I think that is a well deserved compliment!
  3. Oh, thanks for reminding me of this peice, BTW - it is very influential in film music, referred to by Hans Zimmer in particular.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    kill Martina (Martijn) and Pamela (Pawelstroinski) biggrin biggrin
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Oh, thanks for reminding me of this peice, BTW - it is very influential in film music, referred to by Hans Zimmer in particular.

Really?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sunil wrote

Busy making new friends I see, Sun-il Jim.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Ralph Vaughan Williams - The Lark Ascending

I immediately fell in love with the piece on my first listening yesterday. I also did a bit of reading yesterday. I think it's pretty wonderful that Vaughan Williams didn't give the solo violin a time signature which lets it flow with its own pace, gives the piece a more dream-like character, which adds to its beauty. Now I am listening to it much louder than yesterday (which was late at night with my parents asleep).

Pure bliss or musical beauty. Even more valuable because written in the 20th century, early 20th century, but still.

Tim, which symphony was written based on his war experience? It was Pastoral, wasn't it? Could you remind me the number?

Yeah, the 'Pastoral' is # 3. A gorgeous work that's much deeper than it's 'beautiful countryside' feel. RVW wrote the sketches for this while an ambulance driver in WW I.

His 6th symphony was said to be his 'war symphony' ( RVW rubbished this statement ), check out the last two minute of the first movement which contains music for an unused film theme, it sounds like a dark version of Greensleeves.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WATER COLORS - Pat Metheny

Lovely, relaxing listen.

With slightly more info on the normal NP thread shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SKETCHES OF SPAIN - Miles Davis

Superb.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    I was just listening to Sketches of Spain the other day. That Gil Evans is truly unique, one heck of an orchestrator.

Bartók - Music for strings, percussion and celesta

Mariss Jansons and the Oslo philharmonic prove again they are excellent interpreters of Bartók. The third movement is my absolute favourite with the intricate piano progressions in mysterious, and in way secretive interactions with high strings and celesta in unison. And I'm beginning to wonder if the last movement had any influence on John Williams' excellent Epilogue from War of the Worlds. The "gypsyesque" scales used here seem similar, albeit perhaps in the broadest sense.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Gil Evans was indeed great.

As for Bartok, I love it but I really have to be in the right mood, appropriately just like Goldsmith's Planet of The Apes score on which Bartok's influence can be heard heavily.
  4. A friend of mine was comparing Bartok to Stravinsky. Is this comparison valid? I haven't heard any Bartok yet.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, very valid.

Unfortunately I don't have the musical terms to explain why. Both are incredibly influential on 20th century music.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2009
    Thor wrote
    Tintin wrote
    I have been listening again earlier this week to a song by Rush entitled: Manatthan Project. Basically a rock song but two thirds of the way, a full orchestra comes in the mix to add a dramatic effect to the song. Reeeeeeeeally good.
    I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of rock energy songs and orchestra mixed together?
    Thanks.

Check out stuff by Electric Light Orchestra, Alan Parsons Project, John Miles etc.

Thanks Thor. I don't know John Miles. I'll check into it.
    By the way , I saw Roger Hodgson in concert 2 months ago. That was a real thrilling and joyful two hours in his company. His colleague is much better now too. Roger had 4 or 5 sold out concerts this time around.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WISH YOU WERE HERE - Pink Floyd

Absolutely classic album, wonderful stuff. cool
  5. Oh yes, I will get back to Dark Side of the Moon soon smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There was a time that I'd played that album to death and every time I visited a friend it always seemed to be playing too but after many years of abstinance I can play it again, it truly deserves it's status as one of the best albums of all time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Timmer wrote
    Sunil wrote

Busy making new friends I see, Sun-il Jim.

Absolutely, Timmy! biggrin kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: OVERTURE ON RUSSIAN THEMES....RIMSKY-KORSAKOV This is one of my all time favorite short works which is based on two classic Russian melodies. It is well played by the Philharmonia Orchestra.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2009 edited
    Tintin wrote
    Thor wrote
    Tintin wrote
    I have been listening again earlier this week to a song by Rush entitled: Manatthan Project. Basically a rock song but two thirds of the way, a full orchestra comes in the mix to add a dramatic effect to the song. Reeeeeeeeally good.
    I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of rock energy songs and orchestra mixed together?
    Thanks.

Check out stuff by Electric Light Orchestra, Alan Parsons Project, John Miles etc.

Thanks Thor. I don't know John Miles. I'll check into it.
    By the way , I saw Roger Hodgson in concert 2 months ago. That was a real thrilling and joyful two hours in his company. His colleague is much better now too. Roger had 4 or 5 sold out concerts this time around.

You did? I'm totally envious. I've never seen Hodgson or the rest of the Supertramp gang even once, despite being a fan for so long. Do you have Hodgson's live DVD, TAKE THE LONG WAY HOME? That's with the same concert you attended.

Also, as long we're onto Hodgson, are you aware of his concerts with orchestra some years ago (which is the opposite of his minimal setup now, which is just him and Aaron McDonald). Check out this video of "Fool's Overture", for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nob9k558 … re=related

Superb stuff!
    I am extremely serious.
  6. A question to Tim. Should Vaughan Williams symphonies be listened in sequence or it is really mood dependant?

What you might like with me right now is that I found Lark Ascending so beautiful that right now I can't imagine a day without starting it with this particular piece.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Thor wrote

You did? I'm totally envious. I've never seen Hodgson or the rest of the Supertramp gang even once, despite being a fan for so long. Do you have Hodgson's live DVD, TAKE THE LONG WAY HOME? That's with the same concert you attended.

Also, as long we're onto Hodgson, are you aware of his concerts with orchestra some years ago (which is the opposite of his minimal setup now, which is just him and Aaron McDonald). Check out this video of "Fool's Overture", for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nob9k558 … re=related

Superb stuff!

Yes, I got the DVD a few days after I went to the concert. Hodgson is touring in Europe this summer. i don't think he's going your way. Closest for you would be Kiel germany in august or Brussels in september.

Fool's Overture was always "meant" to be played with an orchestra. It does have that scope. Thanks for the link.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    PawelStroinski wrote
    A question to Tim. Should Vaughan Williams symphonies be listened in sequence or it is really mood dependant?

I really don't think it matters unless you're doing a paper and studying his development IMHO
    Thomas
  7. Right, I might take the historical path one day. I'm not doing a paper, but it helps to put things in context.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Are you sure, Tom?
    I've heard people who listen to them out of sequence are shot in Poland...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: FAIRY TALE (SKAZKA)...RIMSKY-KORSAKOV. A true master at melody, harmony, and counterpoint.
    Thomas