• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009 edited
    NP : ALL TIME GREATEST HITS - Les Paul & Mary Ford

I've just heard that Les Paul has died at the grand old age of 94 sad

It's impossible to overestimate his influence on Rock n' Roll history, a true bonafide legend and boy what an awesome guitar player.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009
    I'm proud to say I have no Abba albums.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009 edited
    sdtom wrote
    I'm proud to say I have no Abba albums.
    Thomas

Proud? Andersson and Ulvaeus were/are genius "pop carpenters" who composed sophisticated pop with delicious harmonies and grooves. Sure, there's the occasional annoying "singalong" song on their resume, but for the most part, it's pop at its finest. Fine if you don't like it, though. I hadn't really expected you to, either.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE BEST OF... (Electric Light Orchestra)

Jeff Lynne is a genius "pop carpenter" too! I think this should be closer to your taste, Tom, what with the orchestral elements and all.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Agree with Thor I do.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Jeff Lynne is a genius "pop carpenter" too! I think this should be closer to your taste, Tom.

SNAP!!!! cool beer

Well, almost............ wink

NP : FACE THE MUSIC - Electric Light Orchestra

Have you heard this one Thor? Possibly my favourite ELO album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I only have so much time to listen to material and with the film and classical interest the time is pretty much all taken up. If I occasionally depart from my norm it might be for some big band or jazz material.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Jeff Lynne is a genius "pop carpenter" too! I think this should be closer to your taste, Tom.

SNAP!!!! cool beer

Well, almost............ wink

NP : FACE THE MUSIC - Electric Light Orchestra

Have you heard this one Thor? Possibly my favourite ELO album.

No, I don't have that album, but I've obviously heard "Evil Woman" and "Strange Magic" before. I KNOW I like ELO, I just haven't put aside the time and resources to delve very deep into their discography. There's just too much stuff out there! But I aim to. Again, Spotify may once again come to the rescue! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    I only have so much time to listen to material and with the film and classical interest the time is pretty much all taken up. If I occasionally depart from my norm it might be for some big band or jazz material.
    Thomas

I getcha! But ELO IS very classical-sounding. Just listen to "Standin' in the Rain", for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONgrUGEC … re=related
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Here in the UK the biggest hit from the album was Livin Thing.

Here's a couple of tracks...

THIS opening instrumental ( very spooky ) is verry prog rock.

And I LOVE this one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Here in the UK the biggest hit from the album was Livin Thing.

Here's a couple of tracks...

THIS opening instrumental ( very spooky ) is verry prog rock.

And I LOVE this one!

Great tracks! Certain parts of the "Fire on High" opening reminded me THE OMEN!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Matt Monro - The Singer's Singer

What a voice this guy had. Great collection of standards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2009
    NP: SYMPHONY NO. 6 IN B MINOR, OP.74 "PATHETIQUE" TCHAIKOVSKY

This is a historical recording on the Medici Master CD label. Paul Kletzki conducts the Philharmonia Orchestra in a fine performance originally recorded in 1960 for EMI.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: VIOLIN CONCERTO IN D MAJOR, OP. 35....TCHAIKOVSKY. This is another classic historical recording with David Oistrakh soloist and Kletzki conducting the Stockholm Festival Orchestra. This is a mono recording but the playing is so strong that after a short time you don't even notice.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WATER COLORS - Pat Metheny

....and off to bed with this playing me to sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sdtom wrote
    NP: VIOLIN CONCERTO IN D MAJOR, OP. 35....TCHAIKOVSKY. This is another classic historical recording with David Oistrakh soloist and Kletzki conducting the Stockholm Festival Orchestra. This is a mono recording but the playing is so strong that after a short time you don't even notice.
    Thomas

Another listen this morning. What a marvelous performance.

Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : A CLASSICAL SYMPHONY - Sergei Prokofiev

An elevating work, wonderful stuff.
  1. Dmitri Shostakovich - 7th Symphony (Leningrad)

I just love Shostakovich, he was such an amazing composer. Another masterpiece from him.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Indeed, it's a masterpiece. Any other Shostakovich lovers here? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: A NIGHT ON BALD MOUNTAIN...MODEST MUSSORGSKY. This is a piano version which I've never heard before. The transcription was written by Rimsky-Korsakov. The soloist is Sa Chen.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote
    NP: A NIGHT ON BALD MOUNTAIN...MODEST MUSSORGSKY. This is a piano version which I've never heard before. The transcription was written by Rimsky-Korsakov. The soloist is Sa Chen.
    Thomas

Interesting. I think this piece (for orchestra, not piano, obviously) is what first turned me on to classical music, when I was very young.
  3. How is the piano version?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2009
    It is really as you might expect. If you're familar with the piece it does follow as I thought it might. I could imagine the orchestra playing the harmony and the melody. I'm going to have to give it some serious attention to try and understand it fully. As a first impression I thought she was a bit showy in her playing.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: NORWEGIAN RHAPSODIES 1 THRU 4...JOHAN SVENDSEN These are very happy easy to listen to melodies. The South Jutland Symphony Orchestra might be small but they seem to be a good orchestra. Svendsen for the most part was quite typical of the romantic era.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Norwegian Rhapsodies are somewhat like parts of "Peer Gynt." I wonder if both composers used similiar folk music as source material?
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Dmitri Shostakovich - 7th Symphony (Leningrad)

I just love Shostakovich, he was such an amazing composer. Another masterpiece from him.

Without a doubt one of THE greatest symphony ever written, a work of true genius!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    The Norwegian Rhapsodies are somewhat like parts of "Peer Gynt." I wonder if both composers used similiar folk music as source material?
    Thomas

They did, although Svendsen not to the same degree as Grieg. Interestingly, Svendsen was considered an even greater composer than his buddy Grieg at the time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote

They did, although Svendsen not to the same degree as Grieg. Interestingly, Svendsen was considered an even greater composer than his buddy Grieg at the time.

I'm going to have to do a little bit of bio research. I like his material overall.

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2009/08/17/s … holbrooke/

This is my new review of the Holbrooke Symphonic Poems.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009
    HEAL THE WORLD - MICHAEL JACKSON

Its time to heal this horrible world..... Great song, music and lyrics! punk
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.