• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009
    Yeah, sounds like the more "sane" version of a LORD OF THE RINGS role-playing village! smile I'd definitely love to "see" the music in such surroundings.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Yeah, sounds like the more "sane" version of a LORD OF THE RINGS role-playing village!

slant We have that too: it's called the Archeon, where supposedly you can go to see life in the Middle Ages.
    I only went two times: the first time the place as being overrun by axe-wielding orks and knights in shining plastic.
    The second time by a Roman legion (the secdon time was preferable by far: apparently it was an English re-enactment group, who really did a fantastic job in the receation of garb and weaponry).

This festival though was just musicians.
    No dress-ups or silly stuff at all, happily.
    And I do love "Aulde" music. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There's a number of groups here in the UK who re-enact famous battles / periods etc and do take it very seriously right down to making the clothes the way it would have been done in the period represented ( the cloth, the dye etc ), armour, swords....the lot. A quite admirable hobby I think.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    There's a number of groups here in the UK who re-enact famous battles / periods etc and do take it very seriously right down to making the clothes the way it would have been done in the period represented ( the cloth, the dye etc ), armour, swords....the lot. A quite admirable hobby I think.

It is, absolutely. Though I do find it somewhat amusing to think that when someone is injured for real, the whole thing comes to a starkly realistic halt. (Perhaps someone stubs their toe or breaks a fingernail.... or needs a pee.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    These guys -I think they were called Legion XXIV- had working ballistas! shocked
    Very impressive bit of home crafts, methinks!

Very nice blokes as well: I was even able to help one of them who -when we came to talk about fashioning blades and the like- had picked up a Japanese katana which he thought might have been from the second World War. I was with some mates, one of whom was well into Japanese martial arts so we came along and had a look at it. He was a bit shattered though when I was the one found an arabic numeral indicating it was crafted well after WWII.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

It is, absolutely. Though I do find it somewhat amusing to think that when someone is injured for real, the whole thing comes to a starkly realistic halt. (Perhaps someone stubs their toe or breaks a fingernail.... or needs a pee.)

...or mom calls on the cell phone to say it's time for dinner.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    applause

We all make mistakes wink

Reminds me of a time I was in Nepal and met this guy while trekking who was proud of a 'Gurkha' knife he'd bought, explaining all about the brave Ghurkha he'd bought it off in Kathmandu, later on he showed it to a Nepali who WAS a Gurkha only to be told it was a fake. You can buy Gurkha knives anywhere in Kathmandu rolleyes wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    applause

We all make mistakes wink

Reminds me of a time I was in Nepal and met this guy while trekking who was proud of a 'Gurkha' knife he'd bought, explaining all about the brave Ghurkha he'd bought it off in Kathmandu, later on he showed it to a Nepali who WAS a Gurkha only to be told it was a fake. You can buy Gurkha knives anywhere in Kathmandu rolleyes wink

Which again reminds me of myself when I was young and naïve. On a charter trip to Bulgaria with a couple of friends of mine, I bought a lot of stuff from "safe" brands (Nike, Adidas, Levis etc.). I also bought a huge bag from "Nike" to carry it all home. However, I didn't come further than the airport before the bag started falling apart. And when I washed my "Adidas" T-shirts upon arrival, all the colours jumped from them an onto my other clothes!

I learnt my lesson the hard way. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009 edited
    NP: SEHNSUCHT (Rammstein)

From 14th century lute music and church organ toccatas to classic goth metal! punk
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote

I'm gonna learn mine the easy way and just listen to you guys. (But then I'll probably learn the hard way that learning the hard way is the best way. Being young is a catch 22!)
  1. Yes, it kinda is, Steven! biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Nothing to do with Spanish?

I beg your pardon?

Chili phrase?
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

I'm gonna learn mine the easy way and just listen to you guys. (But then I'll probably learn the hard way that learning the hard way is the best way. Being young is a catch 22!)

biggrin beer

I always say ( well, not always....just occasionally wink ) never think you know it all because there's always something around the corner ready to bite your arse.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : FANFARE FOR THE COMMON MAN - Aaron Copland

Simply magnificent!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Mahler: Symphony No. 7 (Live) - Gustav Mahler (New York Philharmonic & Lorin Maazel)

Excellent recording, and an OK (but slow) interpretation.
  2. Timmer wrote

Simply magnificent!

A classic indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009
    NP: SURSUM CORDA (1920)...Erich Wolfgang Korngold. The recording is performed by the BBC Philharmonic conducted by Matthias Bamert.

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Kind Of Blue - Miles Davis

I've just arrived back from the pub - quite drunk - and this is soooooo hitting the spot right now.

cool

By the way, my week of mayhem is going very well. Thanks for asking.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steady now....

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    > dizzy <
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Another listen to Sursum Corda
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009 edited
    NP: BERLINER MESSE (Arvo Pärt)

Some great harmonic writing for choir here; suddenly veering off into various slightly dissonant textures (but for the most part tonal).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: THE TALL SHIPS SUITE....Dave Roylance and Bob Galvin

William Connor conducts the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra. The Conifer Classics label is one that I'm not familiar with at all and that also goes for this recording which on first and likely last listen (library) sounds very landscape with little or no development. I doubt that I'll even make a copy of it.

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009 edited
    NP: MUSIC FOR CELLO AND PIANO (Prokofiev/Ward-Steinman)

Includes Sergei's "Sonata in C for Cello & Piano" and David Ward-Steinman's "Duo for Cello & Piano". Two nice, laidback pieces. The REALLY interesting thing with this CD, though, is that it is John Williams' ONLY recording as performing pianist of classical music. Check it out here. It's available used for only $5 plus shipping, so it's really worth it!

Tom, this should be something for your reviews?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I will check it out Thor. Thanks for the lead
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2009
    NP: SURSUM CORDA...KORNGOLD
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Still on Korngold. What a nice piece
  3. George Gershwin - American in Paris

What a great piece. WHAT A THEME!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    PawelStroinski wrote
    George Gershwin - American in Paris

What a great piece. WHAT A THEME!

Good material I agree!!!!!
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Timmer wrote

Simply magnificent!

You know tim, this is a serious gap. I never listened to Copland original composition only Keith Emerson take on it. I'll do a trip to the library soon to get a few classical CDs out.

NP Le Parc Tangerine Dream

This is music written for different parks around the world. It does have that 80s sound for sure with the drum machines and all. There are a few tracks that are quite compelling like the closing number Yellowstone Park with a female voice hovering over the synths and beats.