• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009
    sdtom wrote
    Somehow I get the feeling I'll like the Holbrooke material better.
    Thomas

Probably, yeah, but the APP album has several orchestral-only segments that sound very "film-music-ey". Tom, if you have the time, I recommend you go to this page, and click the track called "1. Prélude". You can listen to the whole track for free. It really sounds like Ravel or Debussy or something. The narrator in the opening is none other than Orson Welles.

There's also Eric Woolfson's follow-up album from a few years back, but this doesn't have the same grittiness.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009
    I will check it out.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2009 edited
    NP: SMILE (Brian Wilson)

Harmonies galore, it almost becomes a little too thick at times. If you eat too much candy etc. But a great album nonetheless.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2009
    Thor wrote

Harmonies galore, it almost becomes a little too thick at times. If you eat too much candy etc. But a great album nonetheless.

Who are the other members of the group?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    Thor wrote

Who are the other members of the group?

I'm not really sure what you mean with 'group'. This is a 2004 solo album by Brian Wilson, the Beach Boys guy. It's the legendary "unfinished project" that he started in 1966 and, as I said, completed in 2004 with lyricist and occasional film composer Van Dyke Parks. To my knowledge, none of the other remaining Beach Boys contributed on this album.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: SEHNSUCHT (Rammstein)

From 14th century lute music and church organ toccatas to classic goth metal! punk

New album? How is it like? Mellower and more melodic? Damn i miss the early days of the band where they actually rocked.

Sehnsucht, is that the one with Hallelujay? I love that song.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I thought that there might have been a group behind him to harmonize.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MUSIC INSPIRED BY THE SNOW GOOSE - Camel

Prog rock late 70's concept album blends rock and orchestra, an old favourite of mine but it's been a long time since I listened to this.

It's still good.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    The Lost Children - Invincible

Beautiful song and music by MJ
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: SEHNSUCHT (Rammstein)

From 14th century lute music and church organ toccatas to classic goth metal! punk

New album? How is it like? Mellower and more melodic? Damn i miss the early days of the band where they actually rocked.

Sehnsucht, is that the one with Hallelujay? I love that song.

No, "Hallelujah" was on MUTTER. However, it was only a bonus track on the Japanese release, and not on the US/European version.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2009 edited
    sdtom wrote
    I thought that there might have been a group behind him to harmonize.
    Thomas

Ah, now I understand you. Yes, there is harmonizing group, mainly members of Wondermints, his touring band.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

Prog rock late 70's concept album blends rock and orchestra, an old favourite of mine but it's been a long time since I listened to this.

It's still good.

Ah yes, Camel is one of those bands that has slipped in and out of my radar over the years, but which I haven't really begun to explore yet. Is this like a "fictional" soundtrack or something?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Very much so Thor. It's a purely instrumental album.

Oddly enough it was seeing Camel's name in the 'similar artists' at the bottom of your link for Alan Parsons that made me want to play Snow Goose. smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I saw the Beach Boys when they were a huge force in the 60's. I must say that they put on quite a show.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    I saw the Beach Boys when they were a huge force in the 60's. I must say that they put on quite a show.
    Thomas

Cool! I'd love to see them live. I know that Mike Lovell and Al Jardine still do shows, but I'm not sure Wilson is with them, so that they can call themselves The Beach Boys.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My latest review has made me quite familiar with Svendsen.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

Cool! I'd love to see them live. I know that Mike Lovell and Al Jardine still do shows, but I'm not sure Wilson is with them, so that they can call themselves The Beach Boys.

Brian Wilson played Glastonbury a few years ago, I didn't get to see it but it was a good gig by all accounts.

Not quite the same as Tom seeing the real deal in the 60's though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2009/08/28/n … ssvendsen/

Perhaps one to explore especially Thor. Mark and Manwe know all about him I'm sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Mahler: Symphony No. 7 (Live) - Gustav Mahler (New York Philharmonic & Lorin Maazel)

An excellent performance on behalf of the orchestra, but not so great on behalf of the conductor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2009/08/28/n … ssvendsen/

Perhaps one to explore especially Thor. Mark and Manwe know all about him I'm sure.

Thanks! Interesting review. Jutland Symphony Orchestra is a Danish orchestra, so it's nice to see them interpret something that is so quintessentially Norwegian (the folk music in the two countries are very different, even though they're both Scandinavian).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2009
    Thor, I think that the conductor has a nice feel for the music. The orchestra is smaller but that doesn't take away from the music as Svendsen didn't come up with these epic tone poems that need 110 piece orchestra.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

It's still good.

When compared to PINK FLOYD, everything else pales i guess wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Mahler: Symphony No. 8 (Live) - Gustav Mahler (New York Philharmonic & Lorin Maazel)

Just bought this. Pretty good, so far. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

It's still good.

When compared to PINK FLOYD, everything else pales i guess wink

Simply put I wouldn't compare it to PINK FLOYD in the first place.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : FIRST CIRCLE - Pat Metheny Group

Perfect hot weather blue skies music cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And on to....

NP : SECRET STORY - Pat Metheny Group

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2009
    And William will be on to Mahler #9
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: Symphony No. 2 in C major (1931-1941).... Virgil Thomson. Military flare, lyrical and jovial, yet much study went into forming the work. While there is a touch of the Americana style that Thomson created this is not the major emphasis of the work. Thomson was a lesser known American composer.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2009 edited
    NP : PLATINUM - Mike Oldfield

Oldfield's 3rd ( I think? ) album even includes a bit of Philip Glass 'Northstar', great album with driving rhythms.

This album has great memories for me of my first trip to Nepal and staying in a guest house in Kathmandu, this was the hotel managers favourite tape, a tape that had no info with it at all and was most definitely black market boot, he never found out who it was by until I told him. Anyway, this album takes me right back to a rooftop party in Kathmandu celebrating Divali....what a fantastically heady night cool

Here's a clip of the album.

Platinum Part 2
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    THE ORCHESTRAL TUBULAR BELLS - Mike Oldfield

Lends itself to symphonic form perfectly, I love this album.