• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    Pathetic students who fool around with their phones during class. And their bewilderment when it dawns on them that I have noticed what they do. (Really, how can you not notice?)
    I then size the phone. if it was the first time I return it by the end of the lesson. The phone of reoffenders I hand to the head of form (?) so they have to report to the office. Annoying. slant

Volker

I am completely and utterly in favour of more direct measures.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. But I like pigeons. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    Pathetic students who fool around with their phones during class. And their bewilderment when it dawns on them that I have noticed what they do. (Really, how can you not notice?)
    I then size the phone. if it was the first time I return it by the end of the lesson. The phone of reoffenders I hand to the head of form (?) so they have to report to the office. Annoying. slant

Volker

Honey If your only problem when teaching is their use of mobile phones, which is indeed pretty annoying, consider yourself lucky! How about students who try to hit you? I had one last year who tried to punch me.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Stavroula wrote
    I had one last year who tried to punch me.

...I don't even know what to say... I'm just stunned!
    Hitting your teacher is unfathomable....but hitting a woman?
    Please tell me the student was (at least) expelled permanently?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It isn't that uncommon. I have two separate friends who are teachers, one of both sexes, and both have been attacked, one attack was from a female. Thankfully neither incident resulted in serious injury.

That is a bloody horrible thing to happen Stavi.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I.e. where young hooligans are widely spread. Greece as well.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Stavroula wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

Honey If your only problem when teaching is their use of mobile phones, which is indeed pretty annoying, consider yourself lucky! How about students who try to hit you? I had one last year who tried to punch me.

You are so right Stavi! I am indeed lucky to teach at a school with 90% nice and civilized students. In my former school things went much more harshly, including threads and attacks.
    Many of my students come from not so rich homes and we have the highest rate of immigrants in town. Thus you can see that many cliches are just rubbish. We just have a good and open atmosphere. No racism, very little minor violence. A good school to teach at.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Martijn wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    I had one last year who tried to punch me.

...I don't even know what to say... I'm just stunned!
    Hitting your teacher is unfathomable....but hitting a woman?
    Please tell me the student was (at least) expelled permanently?

Haha nice one! In Greece, Primary School students cannot be sent outside the classroom let alone be expelled. He was made to say he was sorry something which was not the case as he openly admitted and that was all. He was from a ruined family and that says a lot but this has become a very convenient excuse for every bit of bad behavior we have to face at school.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  3. When you live in Vienna and people give you the looks because your last name is Jewish and you are the one to blame for what is going on in Gaza. sad

stopwar

Maybe I should move out of Vienna once my studies are done here.
    Hört, Rachegötter, Hört der Mutter Schwur!
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    After being so used to buying >95% of my music digitally, I am now very impatient waiting for CDs to arrive in the post.

Still this but now even more so!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2014
    I have so little time these past months. I want to help Tom out with a reboot of Golden Scores but I just can't focus on it! And when I have a little bit of time I just don't feel like continuing what I do at work for another site. Drives me crazy. sad dizzy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Keep calm and install a like function.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Computers, enough said.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2014 edited
    I f*cking give up. angry
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2014
    Martijn wrote
    I f*cking give up. angry

:shakes-head: Crazy! dizzy slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. I had a car accident this morning. It was my fault. Luckily no one was injured. I have an all-risc-insurance that will take care of everything. This is so needless anyhow! slant

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2014
    Glad you're ok mate and nobody got hurt. Shit happens. The rest is metal. So is everyone is ok, metal gets thrown away or repaired and you quickly forget. Happened to me as well (other party's fault though but still).
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ouch!

Thank God for all-risc-insurance and that everyone is OK.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Also glad to hear that you're okay and that no-one was hurt.

It is definitely annoying that, because of one lapse in concentration, your insurance company will probably hike up your premiums. That's certainly what would happen here in the UK.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Yes, that is going to happen. I was very lucky, that the car I rammed did not get into the contraflow. I don't want to think about what could have happened. Higher premiums a minor nuisance by comparrison.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Thank God you are ok Volker! And nobody else got hurt! Here is a hug to make you feel better! hug
  8. Man, I'm dizzy and nervous and freezing. This really gets you down. freezing
    But thank you all! smile
  9. Neighbour disputes.

Luckily I'm not involved...yet. But my next door neighbour (at #21) has fallen out with the neighbour on the other side of her (#19). There's been a long-running dispute between them that culminated with my neighbour at #21 refusing to allow #19 to use her back garden to put a ladder to access their roof to repair some tiles. #19 knows this but hadn't returned a key she had when they were on speaking terms.

Now, #21 is in New York for 2 weeks and - lo and behold - a roofing van turns up and goes and fixes the problematic roof at #19 using #21's back garden as access and for somewhere to put their ladder. Suffice it to say that #21 is going to be pretty livid when she returns at the weekend.

Now I'm thinking that I'm going to get caught up in the fallout from this - especially if #19 denies they used her garden for access and claim to have been able to do the job from their own garden. It could turn into a your-word-against-ours spat.

Looking at the law, I think that #19 can have access to #21's back garden if it's to repair their own property but permission is still required. If permission is refused then a court order is needed (and is usually granted if it can be shown that the access is needed to preserve the condition of a property). It looks like if it had gotten as far as a court order then it would have been granted and the work would have been carried out.

But, in terms of neighbour-neighbour relations, I think that they are going to be at an all-time low between #21 and #19 by this time next week. And those at #23 - us - could have become embroiled in it too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2014
    Ooooph, nasty.
    Stay well clear, and just say you didn't see, hear or smell anything....unless you're actually called as a witness (which is not uncommon: happened to my dad in similar circumstances. He just told the truth (as to what he witnessed) rather than simply corroborate one neighbour's point of view. Destroyed the relation until her death. slant Definitely a no-win situation.)
  10. Well the neighbour at #21 is back. She immediately noticed that the other neighbour's roof had been fixed and was asking me about whether they had been in her garden to access their roof. I did say that I had seen this but mentioned that I would prefer it if they could keep any fall-out between the two of them.

Later in the day the neighbour was back, telling me that there's been some damage to her garden that she believes was caused by the trespass (apparently it's a tree her late husband planted). So, now she has called someone for advice and the police are now involved. She has a reference number and she's waiting for a call back to see if the problem is of enough merit for the police to follow it up.

And this is all before the neighbour at #21 has had a chance to talk to her at #19.

Having just returned from the USA and not had any sleep for goodness knows how many hours was probably not the best frame of mind to be in to escalate this incident!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2014
    I agree with Martijn. I think you should have said you saw or heard nothing.
  11. Timmer wrote
    I agree with Martijn. I think you should have said you saw or heard nothing.

Probably the better, and easiest, option I suppose. But, that would have meant that the actions of #19 would be resulting in me lying to a neighbour that we get on with. The people at #19 we only speak to when they come to catch their dog who is running around and shitting in our garden.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2014 edited
    Neighbourhood drama! Hope it doesn't end in you 'taking unnecessary sides' in the conflict.

I can relate, but in my case the dispute is actually between me and the guy living in the apartment below me whose greatest interest is staying in-doors all day and rummaging loudly through stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Thor wrote
    Neighbourhood drama!

I'm hoping that it's all going to progress a bit like an episode of the 1970s/1980s comedy Soap.

http://youtu.be/0BHQT3Omqtw

(BTW, neither of those involved here are called Tate or Campbell.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2014
    While I've never experienced a neighbor situation like that before I've heard of some terrible fights over hanging trees one of which resulted in a person being shot.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!