• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2014
    Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote
    I'm annoyed that Apple have gone the way of making HUGE phones. slant

Apple Schmapple. Overhyped and overpriced junk that everybody runs to throw money at. Gone is the elitism of the past. I find android devices (huawei, samsung, lg, google nexus etc) to be much more of value for money, customization, quality (especially the more expensive models which also outshame the apple products specs-wise).

They're not junk, but they are over-hyped. I love Apple products, but I don't love Apple.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2014 edited
    Overhyped and overpriced my friend plus all is locked and customization (really important for me, but not for all it seems) is impossible whilst google play stores will basically let you do anything you want with the good money you paid for your device. I currently have samsung galaxy s5 and it's a hell of a machine for its size, i can't see how any apple device can match this. I recently sold ipad2 and got ipad air which was a hell of money too only to have it braking by itself slowly, gradually screen was turning half-yellow half-white in 2 weeks after purchase. Sent it in for refund and got peace of mind.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I know, I literally just agreed they're over hyped tongue

Personally, for me, they win because of they're operating system, they're build quality and the physical design (the S5 looks awful, but it's all subjective I guess). I have an android too, and I find iOS much nicer to use, and is less prone to lag. Also, I bought an iPad Air too, and it's proven to be nothing but brilliant. I've never really noticed any lag, even with multiple apps open. So don't judge a product on that one bad experience, it's a fantastic device (clearly yours was a rare occurrence since Apple wouldn't be able to get by on a product that performed that bad). I was quite happy to pay a little bit extra for something I would get much more enjoyment from, and has ultimately proven worth it.

Android is certainly better for those who want more customisation, and of course that's where Apple falters. But that's less important for me as I'm happy with iOS as it is, and I'm looking forward to the new features in the next one.

I just don't understand the hatred for iDevices? The company, sure. But the products are great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh, and Apple is the only decent smartphone you can buy that's not the size of a planet. I have an iPhone 4S, and I'm happy sticking with it for the foreseeable future.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ipad air costs a lot of money and its screen gets sticky fingers all over it with use, and easier scratchs unfortunately. Ipad2 i had it for so many years and screen never had any finger prints over it or a single scratch. Apple was a company that made excellent products and which respected its clients, not changing models every year or so like now. Now build quality is dropping significantly and every year or so there's the new iCrap which costs a shitload of money around, gone is your precious very expensive model. Apple isn't what it used to be my friend.

As for s5, have you ever used one? It will change your mind (looks aren't very attractive i'll give you that, but build quality, screen quality and performance are stunning, nothing else i've tried comes close)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Ipad air costs a lot of money and its screen gets sticky fingers all over it with use, and easier scratchs unfortunately. Ipad2 i had it for so many years and screen never had any finger prints over it or a single scratch. Apple was a company that made excellent products and which respected its clients, not changing models every year or so like now. Now build quality is dropping significantly. Apple isn't what it used to be my friend.

What? uhm

Of course it gets fingerprints all over it, it's a device you use with your fingers! It's no more or less prone to scratches than any other similar device. The Air is objectively the best iPad Apple have ever built.

dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You have an iphone 4s. It's a perfect smartphone. The last good apple device until the rolling down the hill begun. And back when iphone 4s was released, android devices weren't near as good as now. Try the new overpriced apple junk and then we talk again. Hang on 4s 'cause it's a great device.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote

As for s5, have you ever used one? It will change your mind (looks aren't very attractive i'll give you that, but build quality, screen quality and performance are stunning, nothing else i've tried comes close)

Yes, my brother has one. They're too big (and too ugly) for me. The screen is very nice though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Ipad air costs a lot of money and its screen gets sticky fingers all over it with use, and easier scratchs unfortunately. Ipad2 i had it for so many years and screen never had any finger prints over it or a single scratch. Apple was a company that made excellent products and which respected its clients, not changing models every year or so like now. Now build quality is dropping significantly. Apple isn't what it used to be my friend.

What? uhm

Of course it gets fingerprints all over it, it's a device you use with your fingers! It's no more or less prone to scratches than any other similar device. The Air is objectively the best iPad Apple have ever built.

dizzy

Have you ever tried ipad 2? you wouldn't see such vivid finger prints on the screen at all. And it wouldn't feel sticky at all when typing. That changed with ipad 3 onwards. And on s5, you don't see any fingerprints on the screen either. It's not just like that my friend.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    You have an iphone 4s. It's a perfect smartphone. The last good apple device until the rolling down the hill begun. And back when iphone 4s was released, android devices weren't near as good as now. Try the new overpriced apple junk and then we talk again. Hang on 4s 'cause it's a great device.

But we are talking about the new Apple 'junk'; the iPad Air. And I think your reasons for disliking it are baffling. confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote

Have you ever tried ipad 2? you wouldn't see such vivid finger prints on the screen at all. And it wouldn't feel sticky at all when typing. That changed with ipad 3 onwards. And on s5, you don't see any fingerprints on the screen either. It's not just like that my friend.

Yes, and to be honest I'm at a loss at what the difference between the screens could possibly be? Any glass you touch is prone to fingerprints. Plus, you can buy a matte screen protector which helps reduce this problem.

Are you sure you weren't eating a jam sandwich the day you were using an iPad Air?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote

But we are talking about the new Apple 'junk'; the iPad Air. And I think your reasons for disliking it are baffling. confused

Apple sells overpriced stuff, for no reason, no major upgrades. So many years have gone by and ipad air feels lesser than the classic ipad2. Iphone 5s and 5c weren't better at all than 4s which is a classic iphone and i doubt iphone6 which will cost a shitload of money will be better than 4s in reality. You don't see the same with other companies, especially Samsung. It's a pretty fair argument: no real progress. Apple wasn't like that. Apple used to be equal to progress themselves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote

Yes, and to be honest I'm at a loss at what the difference between the screens could possibly be? Any glass you touch is prone to fingerprints. Plus, you can buy a matte screen protector which helps reduce this problem.

Are you sure you weren't eating a jam sandwich the day you were using an iPad Air?

No, they're not the same build quality. If you ever get to compare them again you'll see. Cheaper material is what they use now perhaps. And not all touch screens are the same. Go compare your brother's s5 screen with ipad air.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    You wouldn't have a problem my friend, you're a mountain from what i seem to remember from some photos of you wink Btw why are so many cyclists in UK such cunts? (from what i read around). What gives?

I don't know D? Do the British have a bad reputation for being nasty cyclists in other countries? ( I wouldn't tar all with the same brush but there IS a lot of shit cyclists here )

No, just in the UK.

It's a massive issue in The Netherlands as well, but mostly due to middle-ages assholes on sports bikes who consider themselves part of the Tour De France (including pathetic sports outfits), cycling in traffic in mobs (there really is no other word for it) in insane speeds, shouting at other cyclists to move out of the way (because, hey, you know: the road is THEIRS.), cursing and becoming physically aggressive when you don't move out of the way quick enough.

I hate them with a passion, and so do most other no-idiot cyclists.
    Already they managed to kill one elderly lady last year, but amazingly legislation still isn't catching up.

I'm thinking about, in a similar vein, picking up archery and starting to practice in a park or so, just shouting at kids to get out of the way when I shoot. Same thing, right?
    Idiots.
    Fucking idiots
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Are they like this ?
  1. Martijn, could you tell more about the old lady incident? Or at least give a link in English? smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    We don't have that "mob" thing you talk of Martijn but we do have idiots where normal traffic rules do not apply to them, red lights means GO, pavements ( or sidewalks if you're a Yank ) are racing tracks where pedestrians are an inconvenience and it seems ( to me at least ) a majority can see so well in the dark that they don't need lights and why bother with high-viz jackets when you're impervious to metal and tarmac.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Martijn, could you tell more about the old lady incident? Or at least give a link in English? smile

No English links available, Pawel.
    Not sure what I can tell you?
    A mob of seven "racers" (see D.'s links for more proper assessments of their sportsmanship) hogging the cycle lane, one of them hitting a 78 year old woman coming in the opposite direction. She fell: dead.
    With the insane speeds these assholes think are their 'right' to manoeuvre at, it's a wonder we don't have more deadly incidents.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Martijn, could you tell more about the old lady incident? Or at least give a link in English? smile

No English links available, Pawel.
    Not sure what I can tell you?
    A mob of seven "racers" (see D.'s links for more proper assessments of their sportsmanship) hogging the cycle lane, one of them hitting a 78 year old woman coming in the opposite direction. She fell: dead.
    With the insane speeds these assholes think are their 'right' to manoeuvre at, it's a wonder we don't have more deadly incidents.

We had a similarly bizarre accident just a few meters from I live a couple of years ago. A cyclist cycling on the pavement accidentally hit an older person who tumbled into the road by the intersection just as the friggin' bus drove by and killed him or her.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Apple sells overpriced stuff

You're right, they do. But in most cases, I'm happy to pay that premium to end up with a product I want more than other products. Call me a sucker, but that's the way it is!

for no reason

They sell it for a premium mostly because they can, whether we like it or not (although if they were made in the US it would cost considerably more). True, it would appear that Samsung are selling the S5 with less of a profit margin than Apple are (or were) with the iPhone 5S, so I agree compared to Galaxy's they are over priced. But Galaxy's aren't exactly cheap either, and personally I'm happier to pay a little bit more for a phone I desire far more than the other options, regardless of whether the S5 quite clearly has better specs.

So many years have gone by and ipad air feels lesser than the classic ipad2.

It's lighter, so in that sense you're right. biggrin Though I'm at a loss how a device that basically improves upon everything that was good in one of its previous models is somehow 'lesser'? uhm

I could understand not wanting to upgrade. If you're happy with your iPad 2, then there's no real reason to upgrade to an Air. That's fine, and to be honest I'd feel the same. This is why I'm happy to stick with my iPhone 4S for now. So the Air may be a better device (and it is), but it hardly presents us with justifiable reasons to fork out an extra £400 or so on buying a second tablet.

But in terms of comparing the two products, the Air wins hands down. Perhaps you prefer the heavier feel, the thicker side bezels, the slower chip and the lower resolution screen of the iPad 2. That's preference, and one can hardly argue with that. But it has no bearing on the actual quality of the device.

Iphone 5s and 5c weren't better at all than 4s which is a classic iphone and i doubt iphone6 which will cost a shitload of money will be better than 4s in reality. You don't see the same with other companies, especially Samsung. It's a pretty fair argument: no real progress. Apple wasn't like that. Apple used to be equal to progress themselves.

Depends how you define 'better'. Each next gen iPhone has had better specs than the last model, so you can't define it in terms of hardware. Other than that, again it just comes down to preference. I completely understand preferring the smaller iPhone 4, it's the perfect size for a phone in my opinion. But preferring something doesn't necessarily mean it's 'better' in any objective sense, which is what you seem to be implying.

But I will agree that Apple doesn't excite me as much as it once did. I still love the products, for the most part, but like I said I'm not really a fan of the company anymore.

Although considering it wasn't that long ago that a wheelbarrow was the forefront of technology, it's incredible that we can have any device that can do half the things a basic smartphone does! dizzy

No, they're not the same build quality. If you ever get to compare them again you'll see. Cheaper material is what they use now perhaps. And not all touch screens are the same. Go compare your brother's s5 screen with ipad air.

Again, the Air is thinner and lighter (hence the name), but I don't think it has an inferior build quality. Nor does the S5's apparently more fingerprint-resistant screen imply the Air's screen is terrible. And, as I'd already mentioned, this problem is overcome by using a matte screen protector. (It just means you can't use it as a mirror.)

Personally, the S5 just doesn't feel as nice in the hand as an iPhone 5S (or even 4S). But again, this is subjective, and I wouldn't want to imply the S5 is shit purely based on that. It's not shit. It's a fantastic device. I just prefer iPhones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    First world problems...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I feel like this is going to prove relevant....

http://i.imgur.com/HnV8bNj.gif
  2. My opinion.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2014 edited
    No matter how we might try to make shit smell feel or taste nicer, it doesn't hide the fact that Apple used to be prominent, leading in technology, always groundbreaking and innovative whilst now it primarily markets and exists mostly to sell overpriced shit to first world crap-hungry teenagers who only buy with one criteria in mind: fashion, and trend. Ones who will line up in ridiculous Queues to throw parents' (or their) hard-earn money to Apple's latest fraud. iphone 6's specifications are 2 years back compared to the Android competition and it costs even higher than some of today's Android flagships devices. There are some arguments pro Apple products and if we are going to look at them just as products, they do have their merits truth to be told, but if you take into account the whole despicable marketing strategy by Apple and their prices, there's nothing more than shit nowadays. Their name used to be equal to groundbreaking and cutting edge. Now it is world-renowned for their brilliant marketing strategies. Enough said.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2014
    Fair enough. But while you continue to spit venom, I'll just carry on enjoying my iPad Air. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I do enjoy my (now father's) ipad2 from time to time as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh and my classic, 2nd phone, the iphone3gs, brilliant device, still very ahead of its time smile beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    My trusted old Nokia is starting to give up the ghost, so I need to start moving to a new one.
    I really don't want to. I hate the current generations of humongous, touchpad smartphones. sad
    And I desperately want a QWERTY keyboard (which is SO much easier to type on: I hardly make any typo, in massive contrast to the iPad where I can't even type "a" without at least three mistypes. sad .
    *sigh*

First world problems.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    http://www.androidauthority.com/best-qw … es-335748/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    and http://www.phonearena.com/phones/best/QWERTY