• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2014
    Thank you for the advice Martijn! I know that if you manage to do what you describe things get normal soon but is is not always easy as you mentioned. The thing is that fight don't always have to be full of hurtful words or angry outbursts. Miscommunication and bitterness are worse for me because they remain and most of the times they create a vicious circle. Which actually means another fight and surely enough after I left the forum last night a second round started. Anyway, spirits are a bit low right now but with a bit of walking, music, a nice cold coffee and some deep breathing I will be my normal self soon. I definitely have to start working on my relaxing and mediating techniques again though. I'll have difficult times ahead if I don't.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's a slippery slope unfortunately. By mediation I guess you mean meditation? I hear meditation is supposed to be incredibly effective...I really should try it myself (but I'm just so damn complacent). Although it sounds like you could do with a mediator too. wink

Anyways, good luck. Play your favourite scores LOUD. I want to be able to hear them from England.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Oooopsss! Yeap I meant meditation but as you said I could do with a mediator too but due to working with children I'm an excellent mediator myself. The thing is that I haven't been a good one lately in my relationship so I have to work on that one too.

By the way did you hear anything in England? I'm playing my scores really loud! I'll be coming your way this winter so be prepared! I've already said I'll meet with Tim! wink
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hmmm... I have just come from a similar situation, where negative and stressing thoughts cause a vicious circle that can really mess up your coping mechanisms (especially when you wake up at 'the hour of the wolf' and these cycles of thoughts make sure you can't fall back to sleep).

Just 'riding that wave' doesn't work for me. It takes too long, and has too much of a negative emotional impact.
    I don't like it, I can't afford it, I don't WANT it.

So, I have no idea if this -I borrowed this from cognitive therapy techniques- can help, but it *does* help me:
    The main reason these thoughts keep circling is that there is a sense (not really a thought, more like a feeling) that as long as you keep 'working' on it (and it's not even work, it's mostly regurgitating the events over and over again) a solution will be presented.
    Of course it never is. smile

So what I found is that what helps is to make a very conscious effort to think of something else.
    Make no mistake: this is very hard work!
    Somehow your mind rebels: it wants to continue working on the problem at hand. And it does feel counterintuitive, because the 'problem' isn't solved yet! So this is in no way as easy as it sounds!

For me it took some guided distraction at first (putting on some music or even audio plays on head phones), really forcing my mind towards other subjects. Meditation wouldn't work at all because the mind simply doesn't switch over that easily. I would think it takes a very long time of practice before it *might* become helpful. And even then it's pretty much the same technique as I described above: a mental discipline that takes a LOT of work.

In fact, thinking about it it's much like a controlled dissociation: you take a very conscious decision to have negative and unproductive (even destructive!) thoughts and feelings stop bothering you.

Switching the mind over like that helped immensely with my emotional reactions towards the situation. I am able to handle these problems (which if course don't magically go away!) with a much clearer mind and feeling.

So, for what it's worth.
    I won't pretend it's a magic wand.
    But maybe it offers, at least, an alternative outlook.

And for the rest, what Steven said: play that music! Loud!
    punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Stavroula wrote
    I'll be coming your way this winter so be prepared! I've already said I'll meet with Tim! wink

The Netherlands are just an hour's trip away from the UK.
    Just saying.
    No special reason.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Martijn wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    I'll be coming your way this winter so be prepared! I've already said I'll meet with Tim! wink

The Netherlands are just an hour's trip away from the UK.
    Just saying.
    No special reason.

I was thinking about that actually! We'll see! wink
  1. Stavroula wrote
    Oooopsss! Yeap I meant meditation but as you said I could do with a mediator too but due to working with children I'm an excellent mediator myself.

Mediation does not work if the mediator is himself part of the problem. I hope you get things sorted out anyway Stavi!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2014
    Best wishes to you, Stavi, and find comfort in Molière's famous words "The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."
    I am extremely serious.
  2. That sounds like a paraphrase-of/sidways-leap-from Shakespeare's "The fewer we are, the greater the share of honor".
  3. The safest general characterization of the modern European tradition of drama is that it consists of a series of footnotes to Shakespeare.

Wait, that sounds like a paraphrase of ... whom? smile

Volker
  4. I am enjoying Spotify so much.

Being of the "older generation" I have a lot of enthusiasm for being an owner of a physical CD collection: being able to hold the album, read the notes, etc. Digital downloads took a bit of getting used to but at least I could still say I owned a copy.

But streaming music via Spotify, I don't need to own it to listen to it. Which seems weird. But to be able to listen to it on my phone via Spotify? That's just so amazing - having all this music so easily to hand! And that's the annoying part - I thought that I wouldn't buy into this but the convenience of it!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2014
    yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    But I wouldn't go as far as saying it annoys me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's great.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. It annoys me in as much that I thought that I would be less impressed by the technology and would prefer the "old ways."

My personal music collection seems even less relevant now!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2014
    Martijn wrote
    Blowups and miscommunications are part and parcel of every relationship.
    Where the challenge lies is in trying to understand the dynamics and try and learn from them for a next time.. Which, of course, is easier said than done.

I think a good start is to trust that, whatever the level of miscommunication, whatever hurtful words spoken in anger, the other person *intrinsically* means well. And *keep* believing that.
    He/she is not set out to deliberately hurt you.
    It's about one aspect: a word, an idea, a feeling. Not about the entirety of a relationship. Or about a person as a whole.

To keep that in mind, helps. It really does.

Well said Martijn
    listen to more classical music!
  6. That it's almost 3 o'clock in the morning and I can't sleep. slant

V.
    • CommentAuthorepicScore
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2014 edited
    That I've spent 4 years animating a Pixar-style feature film in my basement, on my own, and we have the best composer on the planet, and I might not be able to raise the funds for him to compose.

Check it out: igg.me/at/whitetiger

What am I doing wrong?
  7. Well, your link is wrong. It does not work for me anyway.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nor me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2014 edited
    epicScore wrote
    and we have the best composer on the planet, and I might not be able to raise the funds for him to compose.

Yes, I expect Ennio Morricone does cost a lot.
  8. I think I found it:

https://www.facebook.com/whitetigerlegend

Or here rather:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/white-tiger-legend

Never heard of Alain Mayrand though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Captain Future wrote
    I think I found it:

Or here rather:

ya think???
    Tom
  9. Captain Future wrote
    I think I found it:

Or here rather:

Mayrand did an excellent little score for the 2011 film Comforting Skin. Available on MovieScore Media if I remember correctly.
  10. Didn't he recently do a score called The Legend of Silkboy? I never heard it but people said it was a fun Hornerish kind of adventure score.
  11. Yes he did, though I don't think that I have heard that one.
  12. sdtom wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I think I found it:

Or here rather:

ya think???
    Tom

What I think about the project? I appreciate they guy's enthusiasm, but I don't think the animation looks all that convincing. Also I had my share of kung fu and "You are the Chosen One / prophecy / quest" related films.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2014
    another one to avoid
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2014
    My tinnitus has gone absolutely completely bananas over the last few months. Now it's unbearable. An extremely high-pitched buzzing noise pulsating back and forth. And JUST as I'm about to embark on these festivals around Norway and Europe.

I need some sort of apparatus. Now! crazy
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2014
    Shit man, that sounds awful! And none of us here can help other than offer sympathy.