• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2009
    Timmer wrote
    NP : CHERRY 2000 - Basil Poledouris

I like this a lot cool

I'm playing Basil Poledouris, it's flippin' mint! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bird on a wire = disgustingly cheesy
    Backdraft = serious cheese, very enjoyable wink

So far, all i got is that you like serious cheese. I guess I don't mind cheese in general.

Face/off is rough, raw, uncultivated, over the place, constantly changing musical phrases and little motifs here and there, over-excited and its sounds is very synthetic and cheap. There's synth music (Jean Michelle Jarre, Vangelis etc) who sound as good today as they did 20-30 years ago and there's simply cheap sound / music. Face/off is the latter.

I'm not going to fault a score based on the fact that it was composed on synth. The integration of synth and orchestra wasn't great for the action cues, but that's forgivable since the overall scoring of the action scenes made up for it. I like the rough and raw aspect of those action cues since they added to the action. Especially when compared to the soft dramatic cues and that gorgeous final iteration of the family theme. The scoring approach seems like this; expressive of the emotion of the what's going on in a scene at the time, and not play overarching emotion of the scene.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    Compare it with the brilliance of PAYCHECK and you'll see there's a huge difference. That's a proper Powell score and the best RC ever had to showcase.

By then, it's not MV or RC anymore, it's just Powell. Like I said before, with Face/Off, Powell was cycling through the MV standards of the time while adding his own twist to it. It certainly had the trappings of a Zimmer influenced score, the synth patches, the drum machines, but the overall product sounded really different than what other MVers were doing at the same time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2009 edited
    PAYCHECK. perfect Powell who - for that score, kept all the good elements from RC. The RC sound at its best. This is a proper score. The other is a pre-mature work, the error is not that is a synth score (saw my point about Vangelis?) but the immature nature, the rough and semi-finished musical ideas that are over the place, and of course the cheap (in all aspects) sound. Anyway, there's not a reason to expand this debate further...you like it whilst i think it's an overrated score for a very overrated movie which we already talked about tooo much so no need to beat it further smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anyway, there's not a reason to expand this debate further...you like it whilst i think it's an overrated score for a very overrated movie which we already talked about tooo much so no need to beat it further smile

Thus, "whatever".

In regard to the longevity of synth music, I do agree with you about Vangelis, only because most of Vangelis' music sounded like they were made for the album and they don't function that well in the movie they were intended for. For example, Alexander. Lots of good ideas but they often don't match the drama, and/or stood out too much to not work for the scene.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Vangelis music is essential 'cause it doesn't try to imitate an orchestra. It's just proper music at its best, it doesn't try to be something else, which 99% of the times comes out cheap. smile And because of that, his music has great standalone qualities but not so much on-screen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009
    NP: Eight Below - Mark Isham

Excellent stuff.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bird on a wire = disgustingly cheesy
    Backdraft = serious cheese, very enjoyable wink

So far, all i got is that you like serious cheese. I guess I don't mind cheese in general.

Face/off is rough, raw, uncultivated, over the place, constantly changing musical phrases and little motifs here and there, over-excited and its sounds is very synthetic and cheap. There's synth music (Jean Michelle Jarre, Vangelis etc) who sound as good today as they did 20-30 years ago and there's simply cheap sound / music. Face/off is the latter.
    Anything else?

I completly agree.

NP:Blade Runner 25 aniversary edition

One of my all time favourite scores.

How D said, Vangelis use synth as a synth. That's why he creates this mindblowing sounds.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009 edited
    NP: A Christmas Carol - Alan Silvestri

Haunting, beautiful and some incredibly powerful material. It's not as bombastic as Polar Express, but even the quieter tracks with the gently rising choir with carefully layered notes and orchestra backup are chilling. There's of course the "holiday season" happy music but it never sounds out of place. Great use of strings and brass too, along with Silvestri's classic orchestral music (his trademark action music present in tracks like Carriage Chase, a great action cue, and Who Was That Lying Dead, a rousing choral action track ). Not a single boring track here, really beautiful album. I wish there was a physical CD released, but it sounds great so I'm just glad it was released at all, at least till something better comes along. Highly recommended.
  1. Good mini-review! Looking forward to hearing it. Even if it's lite version of Polar Express, I will be very happy.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Good review Ravi, it's piqued my interest.

NP : ONE LITTLE INDIAN - Jerry Goldsmith

Not as good as I was led to believe ( that's the FSM forum for ya wink ) but still a fine score and an enjoyable listen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    DemonStar wrote

Haunting, beautiful and some incredibly powerful material. It's not as bombastic as Polar Express, but even the quieter tracks with the gently rising choir with carefully layered notes and orchestra backup are chilling. There's of course the "holiday season" happy music but it never sounds out of place. Great use of strings and brass too, along with Silvestri's classic orchestral music (his trademark action music present in tracks like Carriage Chase, a great action cue, and Who Was That Lying Dead, a rousing choral action track ). Not a single boring track here, really beautiful album. I wish there was a physical CD released, but it sounds great so I'm just glad it was released at all, at least till something better comes along. Highly recommended.

*sigh of relief* I'm glad to hear this will not be a disappointment. smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    DemonStar wrote

*sigh of relief* I'm glad to hear this will not be a disappointment. smile

Me too. Looking forward to it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Angels In America - Thomas Newman

Absolutely brilliant - one of my favourite score albums of the last 10 years. I'd love to see Newman tackle something of this scale again.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SPARTACUS - Alex North

A great score, something to cerebraly get your teeth into.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DemonStar wrote

I enjoyed his score for The Polar Express, so I reckon that I'll be able to enjoy this one just as much.
  2. NP: Nosferatu - Popol Vuh

Anyone else familiar with Popol Vuh?

This is my first experience of their music and it's interesting (in a good way!) Anyone who IS familiar with them could they recommend anything else? Fitzcarraldo or Aquirre may be my next title to check out.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Popol Vuh? You'd have to ask Joep.

You're really into the unknown stuff these days Alan! punk
    Kazoo
  3. Bregt wrote
    Popol Vuh? You'd have to ask Joep.

You're really into the unknown stuff these days Alan! punk

Maybe it's the lack of interesting stuff being released at the moment that's moving me onto older stuff that I have no idea of what it's going to be like?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    NP: Alfred Newman - Captain from Castile - Conquest

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe wrote
    NP: Alfred Newman - Captain from Castile - Conquest

Peter punk

One of THE all time great pieces of film music!
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Nosferatu - Popol Vuh

Anyone else familiar with Popol Vuh?

This is my first experience of their music and it's interesting (in a good way!) Anyone who IS familiar with them could they recommend anything else? Fitzcarraldo or Aquirre may be my next title to check out.

I've heard their music through the Herzog films, rather than independently. It's simple stuff (as you'd probaby be hearing in NOSFERATU), but it does get your attention. All of it is early electronic scoring, and some of it seemed to seep through to New Age music when that genre kind of got going. My memory of the AGUIRRE score is that it's nice, particularly one guitar and synth track towards the end, although that piece benefits from the very striking scene it accompanies.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009
    Same as Michael ( what great films too )

I do have Nosferatu ( I like it ) but only on LP.
  5. A Christmas Carol (Silvestri)

Pretty good, maybe just a notch below The Polar Express, but I like the main theme already, so typical Silvestri. It's a more fluffy score this time around, but don't let that hold you back, the point is this score is filled with melody. Even the carols (hence the name) in their new spiffy arrangements are not irritating at all. But what The Polar Express had plenty of, action music, this one maybe has too little of. But what it has plenty of, is choral music, the choir really goes in overtime here. So if you're in a christmassy mood this can more than improve your mood, and if you're in a lousy mood, this will form a smile on your face. Some very good material here. beer

Not sure about Andrea Bocelli's english singing though. tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Last of the Dogmen - David Arnold.

Classic Arnold sound. Very epic, sweeping score with loads of dramatic writing. It would be really nice to hear him go back to this mode.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah, Last of The Dogmen isn't bad at all.

NP : EXODUS - Ernest Gold

cool
  6. Agreed. I'd say to David stop with the Bonds and get reacquainted with the disaster / adventure flicks. Such a shame he hasn't done something of this magnitude in the last 10 years...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009 edited

Delightful, warm, fun, exciting music... makes me forget about his terrible G.I. Joe score and reminds me of why he is one of the top film composers in the game!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

Delightful, warm, fun, exciting music... makes me forget about his terrible G.I. Joe score and reminds me off why he is one of the top film composers in the game!

-Erik-

Nice! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    FILM MUSIC BY ENNIO MORRICONE

Wow! awesome. Right now, very pleasant climate over here. I believe this is the right time to play this wonderful compilation. Hats off to Morricone! beer
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.