• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2009 edited
    Continued from here.

Last post:
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Eric wrote
    Doghouse (2009)

A Shaun of the Dead type of film - not as good off course , but it was entertaining and
    funny in parts . I actually didn't give a toss about the main characters , they were a bunch of
    unlikeable guys and I was totally on the female zombie side . Maybe that sexy axe wielding
    zombie chick in the wedding dress had something to do with that ... biggrin

Eric, I enjoyed this one too
    I thought the humour was at times pretty good (of course not Shaun of the Dead great) but still
    The Match of the day moment was hilarious and I thought the ending was very well chosen smile

enjoyed it very much
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Yes, you caught me. Yes we are jealous. We are already started building a new website which will soon replace this (www.michaeljacksonismybabysdaddy.net), in hope of someone actually getting to know us and give a fudge about us.

The link is dead D, more dead than Michael. tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    In The Loop (2009)

The closing film of the film festival, this was a very clever, fast and witty (if quite bleak) political satire about a British junior cabinet minister getting engrossed in American and international preparations for war.

The film is quite relentlessly cynical, but at the same time employs such a breakneck pace (don't blink! You'll miss loads of essential information) with such wonderful characters (chief whip Malcolm Tucker needs to be heard to be believed: on his own he outdoes three seasons of Deadwood in profanity!) that it's one of the most enjoyable things I've seen in a long time. In fact, if there would be an illegitimate love child between The West Wing, House Of Cards and Yes, Minister, this would be it!

The really excellent thing for me is that the film turns out to be a spin-off of a BBC series which I completely missed first time 'round (why did nobody warn me???) : The Thick Of It, which apparently is now in its third season.
    punk Goody! punk

I immediately ordered the first season on DVD and am looking forward to it immensely.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2009
    I enjoyed In The Loop but for me, it reached no where near the excellence of The Thick Of It.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Great! So the best is still to come! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Thick of It.....you're in for a treat dear boy biggrin beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Fearne and.......Peaches Geldof

Fearne, like, meets Peaches Geldof, like, you know, like, she's Saint Bob's daughter and it's, like, Fearne wants to be her friend and, like, find out what makes her, like, you know, tick? And Peaches, she's like, more than just like, a model and a journalist but, like, has intellectual interests too, like, she's interested in the Hadron collider and it's like, under the earth in Texas and, like, it's for making black holes in space and , like, I watched this last night and I was, like, thinking like, why am I, like, watching this, it's, like, you know, lifes too short like, so, like suicide
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Was there gratuitous nudity?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Like, I wish slant
  2. Martijn wrote
    Was there gratuitous nudity?

Only by those people watching perhaps? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Maureen and I went and saw The Education, a coming of age film from England. The film was good and the music worked well in the film but while I have the soundtrack I've not listened to it yet away from the film.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1174732/

for those who know nothing about it
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote
    Maureen and I went and saw The Education, a coming of age film from England. The film was good and the music worked well in the film but while I have the soundtrack I've not listened to it yet away from the film.
    Thomas

Thought it sounded like an interesting film when I read a review at the weekend. Might go and see it myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Martijn wrote
    Great! So the best is still to come! cool

Absolutely! One of my favourite sitcoms of the last 10 years. So sharp, so witty, so quotable, so cynical, so fucking hilarious. The current series has had to deal with the loss of a primary cast member (Chris Langham - for unfortunate reasons) but it's looking promising and I look very much forward to watching it every week.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2009
    Watched Public Enemies last night, good film, great score. My only quibble is that Johnny Depp is just too handsome to play John Dillinger, only a minor quibble though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Watched Public Enemies last night, good film, great score. My only quibble is that Johnny Depp is just too handsome to play John Dillinger, only a minor quibble though.

Great movie isn't it? We don't see such films frequently....glad you liked it!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Bye bye Blackbird.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Bye bye Blackbird.

Did he really say those [spoiler][/spoiler] words? I'll have to look it up.
  4. It seems a bit convenient if he did, but it sure was moving. I was wondering in that last scene: "What on earth is he going to say that's going to live up to the build-up?" And for me, it lived up all right.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    According to wkipedia the answer is no.
  5. Apparently he did *spoiler* stroll through the headquarters of the task force assigned to find him only days before his death though, and ask the baseball scores *end spoiler*.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah I noticed that too. A nice touch in the film.
  6. So I saw the first episode of "V" tonight. The show looks promising, for sure. I wish they had maintained the ambiguity of the aliens a little longer (their intentions, character, physical aspects, etc.), or who among the main characters are aliens. I think they may have shown their hand too early, but who knows? Maybe I'll soon learn that some things I thought I knew after one episode were wrong.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009
    It's a remake?
  7. I heard that it was based on a mini-series, but that's the first I've heard of it. I didn't see whatever came before.
  8. I noticed that Sci-Fi channel have started to show teaser trailers - with 2010 being mentioned. So, it looks like we won't be seeing V until then.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    W.

I really enjoyed this. Of course there's little substance to it, but perhaps that befits the man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009 edited
    Just saw "The mist". Holy crap it has the worst, but also the best ending ever. Even though the movie kinda has a TV quality to it, it's actually pretty good throughout with plenty of monsters. Mark Isham's score at the end was amazing. While the wailing singer has been done to death, there was something biblical and doomsday-y about the music, which I'm sure was exactly what they were aiming for.

[spoiler] Best scene of the movie. [/spoiler]

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What do you mean the worst but also the best ending ever? How do you justify this huge oxymoron? wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    A part of me wants a happy ending, but another part of me would be disappointed with the typical rosy Hollywood ending. Endings that makes one feel good, doesn't have the same impact and doesn't make one think about the movie afterwards. The conflict inside my own head is the reason "the worst but also the best ending ever" isn't an oxymoron.

Peter wink