• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2013 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Please continue. I am sorry. I had the impression your post was conclusive to the above Martijn.

Well, it could be! smile

Not sure if Thor or anyone else still wants to chime in: it was more of an assumption, what with it being the 50th anniversary and all.
    ...but I have to say I agree with Thor: in general I find things remarkably quiet on the Doctor front, even in official reviews (which, few as they are, still tend to be generally favourable!).

If not I'll close the thread myself again, and we can continue in Part IV as planned!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2013
    I've tried to scour a few Who forums in search of the "Name"-50th connection, but to no avail. They seem to discuss everything else to tiny details, but not this. I have a feeling I'm missing something terribly obvious.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I don't *think* so?
    Maybe one of our Brit friends here can enlighten us?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    (Again: I don't think there IS a (direct) link. The actual '[spoiler]Doctor is erased[/spoiler]' plot from 'Name' will pick up at Christmas again. 'Day Of The Doctor' "only" expanded on the appearance of the War Doctor in 'Name' when Doctor 11 was confronted with his personal history....including the parts he didn't want to remember.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    (Again: I don't think there IS a (direct) link. The actual '[spoiler]Doctor is erased[/spoiler]' plot from 'Name' will pick up at Christmas again. 'Day Of The Doctor' "only" expanded on the appearance of the War Doctor in 'Name' when Doctor 11 was confronted with his personal history....including the parts he didn't want to remember.)

True, and I get that it's supposed to be a lead-in to the 50th, but I just can't see how they will move forward from that. The Hurt doctor [spoiler]had his whole story and climax in the 50th[/spoiler], so where could you possibly go from there with the confrontation in the cave? A brief [spoiler]hello, thanks for the last time and off we go in some way[/spoiler]? Also, [spoiler]why would the confrontation be so dramatic and ominous when he has already had his absolution in the 50th[/spoiler]?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Aaaaah, wibbley-wobbley timey-wimey! (I loved, incidentally, how the War Doctor chided the other doctors for being so childish and immature. I thought John Hurt did an excellent job portraying the Doctor before his horrible act of genocide. It really was a different approach and as such he bridged the gap between classic and reboot Who excellently! (Thanks to the script writer as well, obviously. But the portrayal went a long way towards establishing that!))

But I digress.
    (I tend to do that).

What we'll find, I wager, in the Christmas special is EITHER [spoiler]Doctor 11 confronting the War Doctor either just before or just after the genocide (it doesn't matter which: he's lost his memory anyway, so he'll be on that destructive path anyway...regardless whether or not in THIS new timeline he has/will already have-shall been doing it ...GOD, we need new grammar to compensate for no-linear time shifts!). I expect that confrontation to be a hell of a lot darker, as even if Doctor 11's terrible guilt is abated, the War Doctor still has his 'No More' attitude, which comes from somewhere![/spoiler]

OR the dramatic confrontation in 'Name' was indeed the Doctor coming face to face with his most terrible past, [spoiler]which has now in the 50th special been resolved...leaving Doctor 11 entirely free, also from his own conscience, to pursue whatever the Silence will be doing in the Christmas special![/spoiler]

Either way would work for me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You know what?
    You're right.
    Let's take this over to the Doctor Who thread, so we can close this one and Bregt can have his Part IV. smile