• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    Just thought I'd share with you all... especially all you beer fans... that I just had my very first Duvel Abbey Ale! This brew proves yet again that Belgium is home to the best beer in the world. What a delightfully deceptive brew. It's 8.5% but I can't taste a lick of alcohol. The beer is light in color but strong and fruity... its oooooh so easy to drink. i could easily get lost in this brew. Oh, a the glass that came in the gift pack is fucking gorgeous!

-Erik-

yep yep yep, Duvel is one of the best beers, but I think Thor has a couple more that he ranks higher, at least now after this past weekend smile

For everyone who ever decides to visit Ghent or Belgium, I will make sure you'll remember the Belgian beers for like say forever
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010
    Yeah... I followed the pour instructions to a tee! The head is a thing of beauty! I just finished the beer a few moments ago and I want to dive right into my last... but I will save it for my wife... I think it's a beer she'll like.

I also picked up the Maredsous gift set... mainly to replace my broken Maredsous glass... but the beers are also incredible!

I also picked up the limited edition Belgian ale exclusive box set. 6 beers.

- Bornem Dubbel
    - Bornem Trippel
    - Piraat Ale
    - Gulden Draak Ale
    - Augustijn Ale
    - Breugel Amber Ale

Looking forward to the Piraat and Gulden which are 10.5%. I love'em strong! All these beers got A's and B's on Beeradvocate.

I'm also anxiously awaiting for the Chimay gift set to arrive. I've been dying to taste a Blue Cap and get my hands on the best looking beer goblet I've ever seen!

My wife and I are seriously considering that when we retire we are moving to Belgium!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    punk

Properly done as well! Foam needs to split the word Duvel in half. A famous beer here in Belgium, quite popular. Thor will agree with you! He tasted it this past weekend when he was in Ghent. As for me, I like it as well, but it's a very heavy beer that is not for regular drinking. wink

Great to hear you love our beer so much, and also seek out the gems! cheesy

Absolutely! Gorgeous beer. I tried both the dark and the lighter version, but I'm not sure if I tried "Abbey Ale".
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I'm sure you're in for a treat

hope you like em all smile
  3. Thor wrote
    Bregt wrote
    punk

Properly done as well! Foam needs to split the word Duvel in half. A famous beer here in Belgium, quite popular. Thor will agree with you! He tasted it this past weekend when he was in Ghent. As for me, I like it as well, but it's a very heavy beer that is not for regular drinking. wink

Absolutely! Gorgeous beer. I tried both the dark and the lighter version, but I'm not sure if I tried "Abbey Ale".

Thor, you tried the LEFFE Dark and the LEFFE 9 degrees, there is only one Duvel and you liked that one too smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010 edited
    I found something interesting going through my World's Best Beers book. Maredsous is listed under Duvel. Does Duvel own the Maredsous Abbey? Or is Duvel also produced in the Abbey?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    No it's produced in Puurs , not far from where I live ...
    Maredsous is controlled by Duvel yes (but not owned as far as I know) .
    http://www.duvel.be/
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thanks for the info!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Thor wrote
    Bregt wrote
    punk

Thor, you tried the LEFFE Dark and the LEFFE 9 degrees, there is only one Duvel and you liked that one too smile

Ah, sorry. Leffe, Duvel, Orval....I keep mixing them up. But they're all superb. beer
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Leffe Blond is my wife's favorite beer. She calls it candy! Orval is something I have yet to try. And if someone wants to kindly send me a Westvletern 12 I'd love you forever. wink

beer

-Erik-
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Leffe Blond is my wife's favorite beer. She calls it candy! Orval is something I have yet to try. And if someone wants to kindly send me a Westvletern 12 I'd love you forever. wink

beer

-Erik-

Leffe Blond is my favourite too, alongside the already much discussed about mad bitch (right Thor? wink )

Speaking of the Westvleteren, someone called it the best beer of the world, it wasn't bad but it can't reach many of the beers I already tried
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    According to Thomas and Thor, one of my favourite beers, Rodenbach, is water (aka piss). I suggest you try the others first Erik. wink

Duvel is under the Duvel Moortgat brand, which is a small Belgian brewer company, owning some two of our most famous and very typical beers, which indeed includes Maredsous (licensed under the monks of the Maredous Abbey in ... Maredsous. The abbey itself also produces great cheese) and Vedett.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duvel_Moortgat_Brewery
    Kazoo
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Just thought I'd share with you all... especially all you beer fans... that I just had my very first Duvel Abbey Ale! This brew proves yet again that Belgium is home to the best beer in the world. What a delightfully deceptive brew. It's 8.5% but I can't taste a lick of alcohol. The beer is light in color but strong and fruity... its oooooh so easy to drink. i could easily get lost in this brew. Oh, a the glass that came in the gift pack is fucking gorgeous!

-Erik-

I just mentioned before on your Facebook entry that some of these branded glasses are wonderful. Especially the really delicate ones.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Bregt wrote
    According to Thomas and Thor, one of my favourite beers, Rodenbach, is water (aka piss). I suggest you try the others first Erik. wink

Interesting... because all of Rodenbach's beers get consistently high grades at beeradvocate and ratebeer.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I knew it. Thor and Thomas have no taste for this.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I just mentioned before on your Facebook entry that some of these branded glasses are wonderful. Especially the really delicate ones.

Indeed. I love my Leffe goblet. Strong and sterdy! The Duvel is now my favorite. I have dozens of Guinness glasses but I'm looking for a standard Imperial Pint Glass. I love that little ring around the middle of the glass. I have Erdinger's tall glass. While their beer is crap I pour all of my wheat beers in there. I have about three balloons. I only drink my Innis and Gunn's out of them. I have a bunch of others as well but I rarely use them... but they do look nice in my glass cabinets!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Speaking of the Westvleteren, someone called it the best beer of the world, it wasn't bad but it can't reach many of the beers I already tried

It's the highest rated beer on the planet. Is it easy to get in Belgium or is it just as hard to get as it is for the rest of us? At belgiumshop.com a single goes for $40. The tasting pack (6 beers - 12x2, 8x2 and blondx2) goes for $190. I've put that on my birthday wish list for next year.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I've never had it. It's very rare, seldom served in bars. The monks produce it in small capacities, and you have to make an appointment by phone to order the bottles. It can take several weeks/months before you can get your order at the abbey (because you have to get it yourself).
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Speaking of Westvleteren... here's some news.

Big news out of Europe today concerning the Trappist brewing world…

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) holds the title of best beer in the world on both Beer Advocate and RateBeer. In order to get a hold of that top beer, Westvleteren 12, people from all over the world travel to Belgium to visit the brewery and cafe across the street where the beer is served. Various Dutch news outlets are reporting today that this could soon change…

HLN.be reports that the Abbey is out of code and needs significant alterations in order to satisfy fire safety regulations. In order to finance the renovations, the Abbey is considering striking a deal with a supermarket chain called Colruyt. Colruyt would sell gift packs containing three Westvleteren beers and a glass. An Abbey spokesman said that the brewery must produce more beer “at least temporarily” so this may not last forever if a deal is struck. Nothing is official as of yet.

Meanwhile, in Austria, the news of a possible 8th Trappist brewery in the works is flying under the radar. Here’s a summary of translated article, courtesy of a user at BabbleBelt:

“The seven trappist monks at Stift Engelszell in Austria would like to raise money for renovation of their buildings and decided to set up a brewery. The beer recipes are being developed by University of Apllied Sciences in Wels, Austria. Hofstetten Brewery from St. Martin im Mühlkreis is to send over their brewmaster for an initial period to oversee production. Stiftsbrauerei Schlägl is said to do the bottling of the beers. If Engelszell is granted the requested permit to use the protected Trappist logo on its beers, they might be on sale within a year.” The article says that while the beer has even been found in China, the Trappist recognition will give the brewery additional exposure.

http://beernews.org/2010/10/europe-head … more-14056

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Cool info Erik. Thx!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010
    In the news today ...
    Looks like the monks of Westvleteren are considering in selling their beer temporarily to the Colruyt supermarket chain . The monks need more money to complete their expansion and renovations to the abbey .
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Eric - Look two post up. wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Oops , LOL !
    I've read your post yesterday and still forgot about it !
    There goes my exclusive ! biggrin

I guess Alzheimer light is kicking in ! wink
  6. Settling down to the Scotland vs New Zealand rugby match with a raisin beer! I may have to go to the harder stuff soon as Scotland haven't won in 105 years.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Poor result. Wish I hadn't mentioned it now
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010
    You should have watched England v Australia instead punk wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. It's been a bad weekend all round so far.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010
    A few more beers will colour it better beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. As I said elsewhere, don't you need to be somewhere else? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2010
    Did. Was. Back.

Haye finished it in the 3rd round.............One round before my prediction,